Start by marking “A Documentary History of the United States” as Want to Read:
A Documentary History of the United States

A Documentary History of the United States

Here in one single volume are the documents, speeches, and letters that have forged U.S. history-from the complete text of the Declaration of Independence to J.F.K.'s inaugural address to George W. Bush's speeches after the 9/11 terrorist attacks.
Paperback, Fifth, Revised & Updated , 416 pages
Published September 1st 1991 by Signet/Mentor (first published 1952)

To ask other readers questions about A Documentary History of the United States, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Documentary History of the United States

Ian
Apr 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All Americans
Every American should, at least once in his or her life, read the documents contained in this book.
Margaret Harris
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful collection of historical American documents, arranged chronologically from Tom Paine's Common Sense in 1776 to President Reagan's second inaugural address in 1985. The story these (mostly) eloquent essays tell is one that every American child should learn by high school—and that any American at any time may learn from and be refreshed by. Together they relate the evolution of thought and practices of the nation and its people over its first 209 years.

The editor maintains cont
MT35
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent book.
Thom Swennes
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-and-go
There is an almost universal misconception that Britain is the parent country of the United States. The United States is the child of all nations of the world. Europeans migrated to this land of plenty for a myriad of reasons, from economic and political to the freedom from ecclesiastical restraints. For whatever reason people braved the dangerous seas to land on a distant shore, they came with the hope and belief of a good, peaceful and prosperous life. Britain, under the rule of King William I ...more
Erik Graff
Mar 31, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: citizens
Recommended to Erik by: Einar Graff
Shelves: history
This was, as I recall, one of the books in the family library--probably Dad's, but maybe Mom had it for her citizenship examination. In any case, students in Illinois were first required to read the federal and state constitutions, the Declaration of Independence and other politically foundational texts in junior high school, so that I likely when I first read this.

My social science teacher at Lincoln Junior High in Park Ridge was Ms. Kurtzenbaugh. In addition to the aforementioned foundational
Valerie
A must have for Americans. This book is comprised of documents that are important to American history. Both liberal and conservative viewpoints are well represented. I don't always agree with his interpretations, but in the grand scheme of things, that does not matter. The most important part is that you have access to the most important documents in American history!
Heather
Aug 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: reference junkies
A great reference and a good read of all the key speeches, moments and and various other documents that have created American history. While I haven't read the whole book, I tend to read in reference and know that it contains almost every important speech in America's history.
Marc
Dec 07, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For some reason I was expecting a documentary history of the early history of tha U.S., not documents scattered across its entire history, whch for me was too spotty to engage deeply but which is indeed excellent material for bedtime perusing.
Bryce
Apr 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As far as I know, I kept one book from my four years in college, and this is the one. It's not much for reading cover to cover, but it's incredibly useful for reference, and it contains just about every popular document that had anything to do with shaping the United States. Great stuff here.
Allan Luchenitser
Felt like the most legitimate of the American history books I’ve read. Would recommend to anyone.
Russell Zumwalt
A good overall look at US History from the Founding Fathers through the election of President Obama, with emphasis on the major events, speeches, essays, and writings/laws/court decisions.
Haski
Sep 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I read the fourth edition in High School. It is a great book with a lot of different insight into how America is America.
Van
This would be a good time to bone-up on your American History - but don't bother looking for your old college text books. Read this instead!
Sandra
Jeff
Jan 06, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• In Our Own Words: Extraordinary Speeches of the American Century
  • Voices of Freedom: An Oral History of the Civil Rights Movement from the 1950s through the 1980s
  • How to Differentiate Instruction in Mixed-Ability Classrooms
  • PT 109
  • Good-Bye Round Robin: 25 Effective Oral Reading Strategies
  • The Germans
  • An H. P. Lovecraft Encyclopedia
  • American History: A Survey [with PowerWeb & Primary Source Investigator]
  • A Narrative of a Revolutionary Soldier: Some Adventures, Dangers, and Sufferings of Joseph Plumb Martin
  • The Great Medieval Heretics: Five Centuries of Religious Dissent
  • The Archaeology of Greece: An Introduction
  • A New Religious America: How a "Christian Country" Has Become the World's Most Religiously Diverse Nation
  • The Last Expedition: Stanley's Mad Journey Through the Congo