Start by marking “D.Gray-man, Vol. 1 (D.Gray-man, #1)” as Want to Read:
D.Gray-man, Vol. 1 (D.Gray-man, #1)

D.Gray-man, Vol. 1

(D.Gray-man #1)

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  25,866 Ratings  ·  278 Reviews
Set in a fictional end of the 19th century England, it's the story of Allen Walker, a 15-year-old boy who roams the Earth in search of Innocence. Washed away to unknown parts of the world after The Great Flood, Innocence is the mysterious substance used to create weapons that obliterate demons known as akuma.

A born exorcist, Walker's primary anti-akuma weapon is the cross
Published May 2nd 2006 by VIZ Media LLC (first published October 4th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about D.Gray-man, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about D.Gray-man, Vol. 1

Magdalen
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
The plot? Interesting.
The drawings? Pretty good.
The characters? Great!

The story is dark, mysterious and gothic may I add. I have watched some of the anime though never quite from the beginning till the end, more like random episodes and I liked it so i decided to pick the manga. I really fancy it so far. I hope it doesn't take a downfall.
Natalia
Dec 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was pretty good. I definitely enjoyed "D.Gray-man" waaay more than I thought I would.
John Egbert
May 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERY LIVING BREATHING CREATURE ON THIS EARTH
Recommended to John by: Jillian -always aspiring-
Note: This is half a review of the whole series...so it is very confusing at times...incredibly confusing and I don't stop to explain myself, not once, so continue at your own peril. In fact, no, don't read this because it's actually a pretty bad review I'll probably edit/delete later. Bye!

Screw this. I'm writing this review right now, no more procrastinating for Mello, yup! And after this I'm going to write my review of Hetalia! AND AFTER THAT I WILL WORK ON MY NANOWRIMO NOVEL!

Well, okay, maybe
Kogiopsis
Oct 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Confession: I have a lot of problems with manga as a medium. It's actually surprising to me when I genuinely get into a manga series, because there are so many obstacles: I find the panels often confusing; it takes me several minutes to get used to reading right to left; I'm continually frustrated by the melodrama which plagues the beginning of most series and the way things are repeated over and over and over and over and over. So I guess my problem with this volume is not really with it, persa ...more
Caroline
Jan 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'll fully review this later but damn, it was good.
Zoe
Jul 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
D.Gray-Man (the author has said that the title has nothing to do with the series - it was picked because it sounded cool) is one of the strangest manga's that I've encountered thus far. It's sort of a cross between a Tim Burton movie, the best of the steampunk/horror genre, with a few elements of Victorian England thrown in. Its art style is just as strange - the characters are drawn in a very specific way; you either love it or hate it.
Onto the plot:
Allen Walker is cursed. He tried to bring h
Megan
Nov 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Allen Walker is a fifteen year old boy, whose left arm can transform into a weapon. The weapon is a monstrous claw of sorts. It is meant to destroy Akuma. Akuma are machine like monsters that were created by Millennium Earl, the bad guy. Millennium Earl wants to use the Akuma to destroy mankind. Allen has a master, General Cross Marian. Cross tells Allen to become an Exorcist. An exorcist is a person who can kill Akuma. They work for the Black Order, which is an organization that hopes to stop E ...more
Freija
Sep 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ennesima rilettura di questo shonen atipico (basti pensare che il titolo D.Gray-man in realtà non significa nulla) firmato Katsura Hoshino, rilettura dettata in parte dalla nostalgia, testimoniata dai miei volumi mezzi distrutti, e in parte dal fatto che di recente sia stata trasmessa la tanto attesa seconda stagione della serie animata.
Un'opera che, nell' ormai lontano 2006, mi conquistò fin dalle prime pagine per le promettenti potenzialità narrative, la presenza di personaggi carismatici e un
Becki
3.5/5
Emma Adams
Sooo...this is probably my all-time favourite manga series. Where to start? Well, the story follows Allen Walker, an Exorcist - one of those chosen by a divine substance called Innocence to fight against the sinister Millennium Earl, who steals human souls to make demons known as Akuma. Only Exorcists can fight Akuma and it seems like a futile battle from the outset – the number of Akuma is potentially infinite, whereas the Exorcists are a small group scattered across the globe.

Some of this soun
Mehsi
Ah yes, I still love this series, I know I saw about 50 episodes of it long time ago, and also read some volumes of the manga, but I never finished. This was just so good. Happy to see Allen again.

I decided to re-read this one, I didn’t really want to start a big book right before my vacation, and also all the books I really wanted to read are now boxed up and ready for my vacation (yes, I am writing this review before my vacation starts).

In this one we first meet with Allen, we find out about
Aurora Dimitre
Jun 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: june-2015
~3.5 Stars~

I found this in a used/new bookstore in Bangor, Maine, and I decided, well - I watched the first episode of the anime forever ago and I remember it wasn't too bad, so... why not? Turned out it was a good idea, because I ended up running out of books on the way back to ND, and also because... it wasn't bad!

As far as I can tell, this is a fairly popular manga series. Or at least, it was back when I was first getting into manga and mostly just reading Bleach. Either way, I can pretty muc
Amy
Jul 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-reads, manga, shonen
I took some time to get used to its artwork. The magic system looks familiar actually, having a weapon planted on the main character, Allen's body, and he was cursed. Another very typical shounen manga, but I'm intrigued with its execution, heard great things about it and the series is continued by the mangaka after a few years, that's rare. This gave me some fullmetal alchemist vibe tbh, but I don't mind if the artwork and plot get better after this. Hope to read more of this soon! 3 stars!
Sesana
Mar 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
Simply not for me. The story, the characters, the setting, the art... None of it enough to get me even vaguely interested. It's not terrible (hence two stars instead of one) but neither was it good enough to get me to do more than reluctantly drag myself through the first volume.
Ella
Dec 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Starting this manga. I've heard amazing things about this from my friends. It's really interesting so far.
Julie (Manga Maniac Cafe)
3 stars

I liked this a little better than the last time I read it, in 2006. I still found the 1st volume distastefully gross. The info dumping was also annoying, which I don't remember noticing the last time. And finally, the action scenes are really hard for me to follow, and I'm not sure why. Maybe because I find Allen's weaponized hand so silly and weird looking.
Marianina
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. Art was good but I'm not really into the plot nor the atmosphere. We didn't see much of the characters in the first volume so I don't have an opinion on this aspect. Won't be continuing it for now.
☺Trish
Jul 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Ambivalent about continuing with D. Gray-Man. Interesting intro to a new-to-me shonen manga. I am just not sure that it is my cup of tea.
Not too surprising given that my all-time favorite manga is Fruits Basket!
Gabriela Paige
Mar 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
Hmmm... I have this feeling that this is going to get really good. I like it!!!
Petros
Dec 04, 2011 rated it it was ok
ART SECTION: 8/10
The gothic motif is something worthy of praise, while the rather rough outlines make everything look more grim and scary. Besides that, like almost any other shounen it is full of rather clear-cut good guys and bad guys, dressed in clothes following a motif. So aesthetics aside it plays out as any other of its kind. Still, those decorations around the Gothic world were quite catchy.

STORY SECTION: 4/10

The initial chapters are marvelous and really attract your attention. It is ab
Daichi Ishii
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It was really good! I learned that when we judge something, we have to think about it from various aspect. We face to situation which we recognize someone as a bad person because of their bad behavior but sometimes they have some reasons why they took bad behavior. This story has a lot of sad scene that somebody’s important parson is killed but it was fun.
MissAnnThrope
Feb 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
22 February 2013

Rating: * * 1/2

D.Gray-Man: Opening, Vol. 1 starts off with a bang, but by the end of the volume it sort of fizzled out. The concept initially sounded intriguing, but the more I read on the more I kept thinking of Bleach. The akuma remind me of the tortured souls of the Hollows, and Allen Walker's curse seems similar to Ichigo's Soul Reaper powers. Some parts even brought to mind Blue Exorcist, which also has a Hogwarts-type school for exorcists. There's even a Snitch-like guide.

T
Jody Mena
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
What an interesting twist of history, mythology and metaphor! The art was interesting, it was very cartoonish in places, but then became very detailed and lovely in others. I normally don't take to that sort of mix, but it really seemed to work in this story, perhaps as an underscore to all the allegory floating around the setting, characters and plot. The concept of this series is fairly gruesome to me, with the akuma slaughtering and wearing the skin of the loved one that brought them back. Ho ...more
Garden of Eden
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of my most favorite manga. There was a time when this manga on hiatus. But I keep on waiting. LOL. Talk about loyalty. Mann... It's such a long wait you know. Nevertheless I am glad the mangaka come back. I mean it would be such a waste to abandon this manga that could rival One Punch Man, Bleach, etc, only if the series constantly updated.
Kristy Buzbee
Aug 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Melanie
Shelves: graphic-novel
I've put off trying this series for a while, and finally got the first volume off Manga Takeout because it's so popular - I needed to familiarize myself with it so I could get some merch for resale!

That being said, it's very good. This first volume is a little weird and is clearly just introductory, as any first volume is in a series with a lot of complex plotline and backstory. I am getting some very Fullmetal Alchemist vibes from it, and I think it has the potential to be just as good.

It's set
Kate
Oct 15, 2015 rated it liked it
I have had this series recommended to me by several people, so I decided it was time to give it a try. At three volumes in, I am having a hard time getting into this story, but that doesn't mean much with my history of series (it took five or six volumes for me to get into Pandora Hearts and now it ranks among my top three favorite series). So far, I will say that the world building has been interesting, a bit steampunk a bit gothic (a perfect combination for me), with a fairly diverse cast so f ...more
Stewart Tame
Aug 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Not a bad beginning. Allen Walker is an exorcist, possessed of the ability to destroy Akuma, evil spirits that possess and destroy people. There's a bit more to it than that, as Allen finds out. An organization of exorcists have dedicated their lives to preserving and recovering fragments of a substance called "innocence", which the Akuma are attempting to destroy. It follows familiar shonen lines with Allen having exceptional ability and having rivals among his fellow exorcists. I'm sure there ...more
Yue
One of those shounen you just know you are going to read more than one volume. It starts already with some action, when two cops enter a church who is supposed to be haunted. The younger cop meets Allen Walker, a boy exorcist. Like most shounen Ive read so far, he is likeable, and only 15-years-old.

Most of the first volume is about him and the Count. Only in the last couple of chapters we are introduced to the rest of the exorcist. The art is nice and the bad guy is kind of creepy but also funn
Gavin Abdollahi
Oct 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, shounen, fantasy, 2016
Good story;religiously offending.
Don't get me wrong.
I'm fine with souls and spirits and Greek gods...
Heck, Soul Eater and Percy Jackson are two of my favs...
But this was taking it a bit too far.
That aside, it was a pretty solid story. It's about a fifteen year old boy named Allec, an exorcist. He has the ability to defeat Akumas (part spirit, part machine demonic thingies) with his left cursed hand. He can also see through a persons soul, allowing him to detect Akumas anywhere.
Quite enjoyable,
  • Chrno Crusade, Vol. 1 (Chrno Crusade, #1)
  • Nabari No Ou, Vol. 1
  • Tegami Bachi: Letter Bee, Volume 1
  • 07-Ghost, Volume 01
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 2 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #2)
  • Natsume's Book of Friends, Volume 1
  • Black Cat, Volume 01
  • Pandora Hearts 11巻
  • Saiyuki, Vol. 1
  • Trinity Blood, Vol. 1
  • Black Butler, Vol. 3 (Black Butler, #3)
  • Dogs: Prelude, Volume 0
  • Zombie-Loan, Vol. 1
  • The Cain Saga, Volume 01
  • Descendants of Darkness, Volume 1
星野 桂

Katsura Hoshino ((星野 桂 Hoshino Katsura) was born on April 21, 1980, in Shiga Prefecture, Japan, as the younger of fraternal twin girls and the second of three children. She drew her first manga at twenty-one. In 1998, Hoshino moved to Tokyo. She dreamed of bringing her mother to the city and was able to in 2006.

She made her debut with her comics in July 2003 with the publication of her first m

D.Gray-man (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • D.Gray-man, Vol. #2 (D.Gray-man, #2)
  • D.Gray-man, Vol. #3 (D.Gray-man, #3)
  • D.Gray-man, Vol. #4 (D.Gray-man, #4)
  • D.Gray-man, Vol. #5 (D.Gray-man, #5)
  • D.Gray-man, Vol. #6 (D.Gray-man, #6)
  • D.Gray-man, Vol. 7 (D.Gray-man, #7)
  • D.Gray-man, Vol. 8 (D.Gray-man, #8)
  • D.Gray-man, Vol. 9 (D.Gray-man, #9)
  • D.Gray-man, Vol. 10 (D.Gray-man, #10)
  • D.Gray-man, Volume 11
“Because I am a small man, my heart is moved by what's in front of my eyes, not by what the world needs. I just can't abandon what's there in front of me. I want to protect everything I can!” 9 likes
“Do you know Eastern proverbs?
"Unskilled guns, but... The more guns, the likely they will hit..."
I've got plenty of Akuma to go around.”
1 likes