Start by marking “I, Tina” as Want to Read:
I, Tina

I, Tina

Tina Turner's is the most fascinating true story in show business. From Nut Bush, Tennessee, to Hollywood stardom...from Ike's Kings of Rhythm to onstage with Mick Jagger and the Stones...from the lowest lows to the highest highs, Tina has seen, done, suffered and survived it all. And in her spectacular bestseller "I, TINA," she tells it like it really is...
Published September 1st 1986 by William Morrow & Co

To ask other readers questions about I, Tina, please sign up.
Patricia Yes, it is. You can check the information on Goggle if you doubt it.
The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankThe Glass Castle by Jeannette WallsI Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya AngelouEat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth GilbertPersepolis by Marjane Satrapi
Memoirs by Women
2,445 books — 2,708 voters
Bossypants by Tina FeyThe Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath by Sylvia PlathWishful Drinking by Carrie FisherThe Story of My Life by Helen KellerIs Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling
Female Celebrity Books
166 books — 174 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of I, Tina
Jean Marie Angelo
Aug 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Tina Turner. She's simply the best. Better than all the rest.

That voice, those dance moves — will we ever see anyone like her again?

This book came to me by way of one of my book clubs. We wanted to focus on womens' stories for a while. It is an unusal approach in that parts are written in Tina's own words, other parts are narrative provided by music journalist Kurt Loder, and interviews with others in Tina's life. The latter includes direct comments from her abusive ex — Ike Turner — and her son
4.ashante!
Mar 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
"Eat the cake anime!" This is one of the funniest quotes from the book I, Tina. I, Tina is one of the few books I have read in my spare time out of boredom. Surprisingly, I enjoyed this book so much that I then went out my way to see the movie. The movie was just as amazing as the book itself. The fact that this book was non-fiction, made me enjoy it because I only like fictional books to a certain extent. The humor and sorrow played out well in I, Tina because it made me think and at the same t ...more
Rebecca McNutt
I'm not really aware too much of Tina Turner's work (although I've heard a few of her songs). That being said, this book introduces readers to a lot more than just her career, and it's a surprisingly well-written memoir.
Sara
The other day, I played some Tina Turner music I put on the computer and I realized - I read this book! Must put on Goodreads!

I saw the movie. Really liked the movie. I then went out and bought this book and enjoyed reading it. It fleshed out scenes in the movie that were actually composites of several scenes in Tina's life.

I found her life both sad and inspiring. I can't remember the writing quality of this book and I no longer own it, but I remember liking it quite well. Every time I hear Prou
Nicole Aline
Mar 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A remarkable story that I would recommend to any woman, whether they like her music or not. I never knew much about her and did not grow up with her music but her book made me look at her in a completely different way. I couldn't believe just how much she was able to live through and come out a stronger woman for. A very inspiring story about a incredibly courageous woman.
Mary Alice
Oct 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: autobiography
I read this years ago when it came out in 1986. Saw it at the library last week and started reading and could not put it down. It is still that good. :)
ERIN SCHMIDT
Mar 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
It took an immense amount of courage for Turner to tell her deeply personal story of abuse, release and ultimate triumph. She does not shy away from things that she did wrong and her own responsibility in her circumstances, which is very brave because obviously, she was a victim of domestic violence over a long period of time. She obviously has a very strong nurturing/mothering instinct that's not immediately apparent if you only know her stage persona. She's a role model for overcoming, though, ...more
Kimberly Hicks
May 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
WOWWWWWWW! I want to be like Tina when I finally grow up! This sista went through some horrible things, but my goodness, she pulled through. If you haven't read this book, what the heck are you waiting for? I loved her story, and she is so beautiful! I love to read about people's lives and how they got to be where they are or were!
Tony
Aug 10, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010
This one is probably a better read to someone who's a fan. The timeline of Tina's life is a bit jumpy on this one and I guess the storytelling could be a little more compelling. I thought there might be a lot lost in translation since I read this in finnish; just have that sense that this especially is one of those books you should read in the language it was written.

Nice little book though which paints a picture rather well what Anna Mae Bullock's - and later Tina Turner's life has been like (s
Bettye McKee
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction-books
I haven't always been a Tina Turner fan, so I was a little dubious about reading her story.

And what a story it is! Little Anna Mae has climbed to the top of the heap all by herself and showed us what a classy lady she is.

The book prepared me for the movie, "What's Love Got to Do With It?" which, although incomplete, was a very enlightening expose' of Tina's struggles and the development of her wonderful talent. She is now a superstar in her own right and could still be wearing her crown if she s
AJNels
Feb 09, 2016 rated it liked it
It's an amazing and powerful story, but not a very good book. Tina's contributions were clearly dictated and are connected by passages of Loder's formal, occasionally flowery language. It feels like two books cut and pasted together. But if you can get accustomed to the disjointed style it is remarkable.
Dave Hill
Apr 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
That Ike was a real piece of work.
Cristina
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Whether you like Tina's music or not, this book is worth reading. It's captivating but knowing that I'm not reading a fiction book, it broke my heart to read about the abuses she suffered.
If it wasn't for the August reading challenge, probably I wouldn't have read this book. I'm so glad that I did!
I like Tina Turner's music and I knew bits and pieces about her life but I never thought that this wonderful woman suffered for so long. She's amazingly strong and full of energy but I don't know how
Seth
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I meant to read this years ago. I added it to my queue in 2007 or 2008 and then forgot about it until I saw it in the library and a memory from my wedding reception surged into my brain: as the night came to an end and the band began packing up its equipment, an intoxicated friend hopped up onstage, commandeered a still-live microphone, and started credibly belting out “Private Dancer” with no accompaniment. The sight of the book triggered the memory, which further reminded me of my intention to ...more
Jay DeMoir
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Yea I was afraid of life without Ike but I was more afraid of what life WITH him would be like. But sometimes you've got to let everything go: purge yourself. My message here is if you are unhappy with anything: your mother, father, husband,wife, your job, boss, whatever is bringing you down, get rid of it! You'll find that your peace comes just on the other side of letting go. When you're free, your true self comes out." - Tina Turner
Black Carrie
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: memoirs
WAited so long to read this book📖 📚 it’s been hard to find a copy it should be re-released since it’s been 29 years since it was first released. The back cover of the book really should’ve been the front cover that’s my favorite look . Tina Turner private dancer era really saved her career IMO. HER voice is so timeless. Can you imagine her and Toni Braxton on a record together.

The interview part of the book was so annoying , I would read Tina excerpts then
Family , friends , strangers and whoev
Taylor Arsdale
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Determination. Perseverance. Strength of character and an incredible comeback. I read Tina's story when it first came out in ‘86. I didn’t know of Tina’s early music (60s/70s)—or her history with Ike and all that she went through while with him. I only knew of her as a stellar performer, and someone who sizzled on stage during the MTV era. Her songs, “Private Dancer” and “What’s Love Got To Do With It” were all over the radio and the clubs and she was the reigning Queen of Rock ’n’ Roll. I saw h ...more
Anne Dodge
Sep 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Don't scoff at this because it's written "with Kurt Loder" - may I remind you, he's a journalist? Anyway this book kind of blew me away - it's the story you already know about Ike and Tina, but much more fun to read than to watch reconstructed in the lifetime-esque "What's Love Got to Do With It" which didn't quite capture the intensity of Tina's talent (because what can?)

Plus, her voice really comes through in this book, told in chunks of interviews with Tina and others from her life. I had no
Teri
Jun 01, 2013 rated it liked it
I didn't know there was a book until after I saw the movie (What's Love Got to Do With It). While the scenes of the movie are good, compared to the book they are exaggerated.

Anywho, this book is written very much like the transcript of a documentary. Various interviews, random stories, not much of the journey you might look for in an autobiography. The years just pedal along but through her reltionship with Ike, that's what her life seemed to do. It starts off slow and stays that way...... until
Polly Tiller
Sep 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved Tina's book. I always loved her singing so I knew I would enjoy this book. In 1984 I divorced my alcoholic controlling husband and I went on my own voyage of self discovery watching telly programmes I wanted to see and listening to music i wanted to listen to. Not knowing any music before 1984 except what my husband wanted to listen to, I loved to see Tina Turner. I hadn't realised her career was re-emerging. Loved the book, love Tina Turner.
Kenna
Aug 19, 2015 added it
Shelves: library-books
After seeing What's Love Got to Do with It? reading this book was a must though I was extremely surprised by the book's layout. I wasn't really expecting Ike to actually be apart of the writing of the book. But either way I'm glad that Ms. Tina is free from him and free to live her life as she pleases without feeling trapped.

This book is a must read for survivors and those who are still in abusive and or domestic situations!
Kim
Dec 03, 2015 rated it liked it
The 90s movie, What's Love Got To Do With It, was one of my favorite movies in college. It hadn't occurred to me there was more to the story. I picked this paperback up at a thrift store and read it while holed up in a cabin for Christmas. It's great! If like me, you loved that movie, do yourself a favor and read this book. It will fill in a lot of gaps. Viva la Tina!
Gail
Mar 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I read this for a book report in Jr. High. I kid you not. Not the most stellar parental or teacher guidance but it taught this little Okie that OKC was home of the Jazz guitar, young woman that have been taken advantage of can grow up to be Queens and SQUASH their dragons.
Rachel
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Such an amazing woman. Tina's book is as powerful as her life, her voice, her strength. She inspires me so much! I recommend this book to anyone and especially any woman going through a hard time! I couldn't put it down!
Kay Hommedieu
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
The story kept me interested all the way through even though it wasn’t always in present tense. Several places had sections of the main characters in Tina’s life, including her giving their part of the story that were first person.
4 stars; 11/2/2019
Winter Sophia Rose
Jul 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What A Woman!
Thankful Reader
Dec 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love her even more after reading this book. Tina Turner is a true testament of determination and perseverance.
Martin
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’m only giving it 4 stars because the book seems like it was written in a rush, to cash in on the wave of fame and acclaim that Turner rode after her 1984 comeback. The book consists heavily of transcribed interviews with almost all the major players in her story except for Ike Turner and Phil Spector, and the people who sheltered her while she finally escaped Ike. The interviews are then held together by a more journalistic reportage. This approach works, however, because it gives you a docume ...more
Aihpos
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a good book to pick up if you want to read about Tina Turner. She is a legend. It keeps me flipping the pages and carry on reading.

Tina Turner was young and ignorant. She picked the wrong road in her life. No one to guide her. Have parents but she is as good as an orphan. Who can blame her for making BIG mistakes in life? If she didn't follow through with this guy, guess there wouldn't be a legendary Tina Turner to begin with. Many times she got beaten up badly by this guy she is with.
Courtney Shareef
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"My message here, and I do hope that in this book there is a message for people, is: If you are unhappy with anything -- your mother, your father, your husband, your wife, your job, your boss, your car -- whatever it is bringing you down, get rid of it. Because you'll find that when you're free, your true creativity, your true self comes out.

Now, you might not be able to stand that because you might find that your true selr doesn't live up to what you think you are...."

So muses Tina Turner in th
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Divided Soul: The Life Of Marvin Gaye
  • Waiting to Exhale (Waiting To Exhale #1)
  • Unbreak My Heart
  • By Myself
  • Elvis and Me: The True Story of the Love Between Priscilla Presley and the King of Rock N' Roll
  • Save Me from Myself: How I Found God, Quit Korn, Kicked Drugs, and Lived to Tell My Story
  • Hearts Entwined (An Angel of Mine Story Book 3)
  • Searching for Beauty: The Life of Millicent Rogers, the American Heiress Who Taught the World About Style
  • Friends and Enemies
  • This Searing Light, the Sun and Everything Else: Joy Division: The Oral History
  • All My Mother's Lovers
  • Mr. Men The Christmas Party
  • The Beautiful Ones
  • Paddington Bear and the Christmas Surprise
  • Snow Bear's Surprise
  • The Very Snowy Christmas
  • Christmas Angels
Tina Turner, one of the world’s most beloved performers, reveals the joyful wisdom behind her inspirational life story in her powerful new book about finding happiness, hope and love in your own life, "Happiness Becomes You: A Guide to Changing Your Life for Good."

A legendary singer, Tina has sold more concert tickets than any other solo artist in history. After her early hit songs including “Pro