Start by marking “Penny Pollard's Diary (Penny Pollard, #1)” as Want to Read:
Penny Pollard's Diary (Penny Pollard, #1)

Penny Pollard's Diary

(Penny Pollard #1)

Penny's diary reveals her love of horses and her hatred of such things as wearing dresses, doing homework and old people until a meeting with the unusual eighty-one-year-old Mrs. Edith Bettany begins to challenge her point of view.
Published June 1st 1987 by Oxford University Press (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Penny Pollard's Diary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Penny Pollard's Diary

Tara Calaby
Ohgosh I loved these books SO much, and this one in particular. She gets a cow jug in it, and I had one myself and thought it was SO cool that we had that in common :D

Years later, I studied with the illustrator Ann James and, although she's done more amazing projects in terms of artistic prowess, it was her work on the Penny Pollard books that had the inner primary-school-me so much in awe of her that I found it very hard to talk to her in class!
Sally
The original and the best! And how fabulous was old Mrs. Bettany? I recall watching Penny Pollard on the ABC as much as reading her, too - can't recall if they were episodes on Kaboodle, or a series all of its own.

(Aha! Google to the rescue, as usual!)

Re-read May 2012 and I swear, I read the first line and could have just RECITED the rest of it, it was so gloriously familiar! I must have read this hundreds of times in primary school. BEST. BOOK. EVER. Also, it's funny to read it back as a grown-
Emmelie Swan
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Summary
Penny Pollard's Diary written by Robin Klein and illustrated by Ann James is an Australian middle grade book in the format of a girl's diary.
Penny Pollard is a 10-year-old girl who despises elderly people for being boring, Annette Smurton for owning a horse, and Simone for being a goody two shoes.
Her class visits a nursing home for senior citizens as part of their community work project. She escapes and goes outside where she meets Mrs. Edith Bettany, an elderly lady who shares a similar
Sean Harding
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Beautiful story of young girl meeting older lady and the friendship that happens as she understands and learns from them older lady. Some great moments here. Klein is a great author.
Meg
Okay, so I was totally one of those girls who went through a stage where I found great interest in horses and everything about them.

The edition I had of Penny Pollard's Diary featured a swap card with a picture of a horse. Of course, I just had to have it and bought it at the Scholastic book fair in primary school. I remember really liking it because Penny was Australian and there was that immediate connection and familiarity there. It was a very typical middle-grade book for girls that I read c
Heather Iveson
Revisiting a book that I considered fabulously cool when I was eight or so. Glad to find it's still fantastic and Penny is just as rebellious and determined as I remembered. I picked this up as a conversation reminded me of this book, and well, heck, why not?

The edition I read this time wasn't quite the fabulous original edition I read in primary school, given that book would now be around thirty I daresay any copy in a library has suffered a painful death by now.

Still, good fun to revisit somet
Gen
Jan 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: australian
I loved Penny Pollard books as a kid. I was a goody goody so I really liked reading about the adventures of this cheeky troublemaker. This is the first one and tells the story of the unlikely friendship between Penny and an old lady.
Meg
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Can't wait to have one of my reading groups read this! I had forgotten how much fun it was!
Michelle
Jan 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favourites as a kid. Penny is a wonderful character and I remember badly wishing that I had a cow jug of my own!
Jessica
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • My Place
  • Where the Forest Meets the Sea
  • Blinky Bill
  • Round the Twist (Uncollected)
  • Finders Keepers (Finders Keepers, #1)
  • The Complete Adventures of Snugglepot and Cuddlepie
  • Playing Beatie Bow
  • The Bugalugs Bum Thief
  • Far Out, Brussel Sprout!
  • Storm Boy Picture Book
  • Del-Del
  • Blabber Mouth (Rowena Batts, #1)
  • Wombat Stew
  • Galax-Arena
  • The Little Refugee
Winner of the Dromkeen Medal (1991).

Robin Klein was born 28 February 1936 in Kempsey, New South Wales into a family of nine children. Leaving school at age 15, Klein worked several jobs before becoming established as a writer, having her first story published at age 16. She would go on to write more than 40 books, including Hating Alison Ashley (adapted into a feature film starring Delta Goodrem i

Penny Pollard (6 books)
  • Penny Pollard's Letters (Penny Pollard, #2)
  • Penny Pollard in Print (Penny Pollard, #3)
  • Penny Pollard's Passport (Penny Pollard, #4)
  • Penny Pollard's Guide to Modern Manners (Penny Pollard, #5)
  • Penny Pollard's Scrapbook (Penny Pollard, #6)