Start by marking “The Broken Ones (Detective Gina Harte #8)” as Want to Read:
The Broken Ones (Detective Gina Harte #8)

The Broken Ones

(Detective Gina Harte #8)

Amber applies a dash of red lipstick and checks herself out in the mirror before heading out on a date. ‘Don’t wait up!’ she calls to her housemates as she leaves. But Amber never returns home that night. Amber Slater is never seen again.

The last person to see Amber was her housemate. He remembers everything she was wearing that night. He watched her leave. He listened to
Published March 1st 2021 by Bookouture

Start your review of The Broken Ones (Detective Gina Harte #8)
Pat (not getting friend updates currently)
That was tense!

The body of young woman, Amber Slater, a student, is found on the shores of a lake. She has ligature marks, a stab wound to the chest and, eerily, her lips had been superglued shut! DI Gina Harte and her team catch this disturbing case. From the start though you know the killer stalks his victims, he hides in the bushes and watches them, he stands outside their windows. It pretty creepy behaviour. The more people the police interview, the more question marks there are though. It s
Michelle
Feb 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
The Broken Ones by Carla Kovach is the 8th book in the Gina Harte series. I always look forward to authors next book and this I think it is the best one yet.
When a body of a young girl is found in the local park with her mouth glued shut it’s Gina responsibility to find who killed her.
Amber a local girl, who is well liked not only by her friends and housemates. But also, her tutors at the local university. She is also popular at the pub that she works 3 nights a week. But when Gina and her team
Robin Loves Reading
Amber Slater heads out to a party but she never comes home. Residing with university roommates, only one of them might have a clue as to where Amber might have gone. So, as far as Detective Gina Harte is concerned, he is a probable suspect. Someone else is on Gina's radar as well. Not only did Amber not turn up at the restaurant she works at, a chef there does not have a strong alibi.

After some searching, Amber's body is found at a local park. One disturbing piece of evidence is that her lips h
The Cats’ Mother
The Broken Ones is the eighth book in the DI Gina Harte police procedural series set in Warwickshire. I’ve read them all in order but you really don’t need to, as each one is a separate mystery, and while I have enjoyed them all, they are starting to become a bit formulaic and repetitive, whereas I think new readers will be more impressed. It could be that I read the right book at the wrong time: one of the downsides of reading a lot of ARCs is feeling I must meet deadlines despite not really be ...more
Andreas Tornberg
Feb 17, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
The Broken Ones by Carla Kovach is the eighth book in the Gina Harte series. I have not read any of the other books in the series but after reading this I'll definitely go back and catch up on the previous ones. I really liked this book and Gina Harte is a strong and interesting character that I would like to read more about. The book was very suspenseful and thrilling with clever twists and turns that kept me guessing all the way. I have always liked British crime novels like the Rebus series b ...more
Brenda Feinen
Feb 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2021-netgalley
Nail bitting suspense! I read this book in a day - it is that good.
I received a free ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Please note I have not read previous books in this series - did not hold me back , but maybe become my next obsession.
Amber's body is found beside a lake. Clearly she had been held captive, stabbed in the heart. As a young woman attending university, Amber was living her life. And was murdered.
Gina is trying to grasp a lead - but everyone is lying. Her phil
Mick Dubois
Feb 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing
20-year-old student Amber is ambushed and abducted when she’s leaving her flat to go out on a date she met on a dating app. A few days later, she’s found in a lake stabbed in her chest. She was an outgoing and happy girl with lots of friends and no enemies. Not much later, an attack on another female student goes wrong and she barely escapes. She also had a profile on the same app.

It is up to DI Gina Harte and her team to solve those crimes before another girl falls victim to this creep. But we
Wendy C
Feb 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is one series I’m always impatient for! As soon as I see it’s available on NetGalley I request it straight away as there’s no way I can wait any longer for publication day.

As I dove into the next instalment I pleasantly settled back into the lives of Gina Harte and her team. All the familiar relationships come rushing back and within a couple of chapters I feel like I’m there watching from the sidelines.

The storyline for this was intriguing. I like to guess the culprit but as I settled in
Sue Plant
Feb 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: carla-kovach
would like to thank netgalley and the publisher for letting me read this gripping novel

a young womans body is found by a lake, there is evidence that she had been restrained...as the evidence mounts up on their perp and with several lines of enquiry opening up gina and her team have their work cut out for them

with more red herrings and false leads you can feel the tension, which keeps you gripped right to the very end...

when one of their own goes missing the race is on to find them and with the
Carol Drinkwater
Feb 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Wow another fabulous book from this author, I just love Gina Harte and her colleagues, so well written with a great story line and characters.

I was on the edge of my seat from the beginning to the end, just brilliantly addictive, I loved every page and I can thoroughly recommend.
Owl._.
Feb 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I’ve read the entire Gina Harte series and I have to say, hands down, this was my favorite of the series!

This one pulled me in from the beginning and kept me guessing the whole time. Loved everything about it! I highly recommend this series to fans of crime thrillers. Can’t wait to see what happens next!

Thank you so much #netgalley and #bookouture for the eARC.
Dawn Lawrence (Australian_Crime_Junkie)
Wow what a fantastic book, absolutely loved every page! This book was thrilling and a roller coaster of ups and downs and twists and turns. It kept me entertained and engaged from page one right through to the end. Read it in one sitting, it was fabulous. Totally deserves five stars.
Kirsty Noah-whitlock
Jan 31, 2021 rated it it was amazing
BLOG TOUR REVIEW

Review for 'The Broken Ones' by Carla Kovach.

Read and reviewed via NetGalley for Bookouture publishers and Bookouture anonymous

Publication date 1st March 2021.

This is the second book I have read by this author. It is also the eighth book in her 'Detective Gina Harte' series but can be read as a standalone. The seventh book in the series is called 'Their Silent Graves' which I also highly recommend.

I was originally drawn to this book by its beautiful eye catching cover and its
Jazz Webb
Mar 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I have found another great crime series to read. Typical I started with book 8 but it just means I have 7 books to get through this week!!

The broken ones follows the work of DI Gina Harte as she investigates the murder of a local student. A dating app seems to be the centre of the crime but she cannot work our the motive. When another student is attacked and a woman is kidnapped, Gina is forced to go back to the begining and work out what she missed.

Gina is a hot mess and I love her. She clear
Elaine Tomasso
Feb 12, 2021 rated it really liked it
I would like to thank Netgalley and Bookouture for an advance copy of The Broken Ones, the eighth novel to feature DI Gina Harte of the Staffordshire Police.

Student Amber Slater disappears on her way to a date arranged through a dating app, then her body is found stabbed to death and her lips glued shut in a pond. Gina and the team are tasked with finding her killer, but things become more urgent when another young woman disappears in similar circumstances.

I enjoyed The Broken Ones which is a cl
Els
Mar 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
DI Gina Harte and her team are back and I, for one, am very pleased they are.
The author knows exactly how to construct a story in order to keep the readers guessing. She has filled a basket ( a bit like Little Red Riding Hood but in this case full of baddies instead of goodies 😉 ) and she feeds us little snippets of information about them.
My head was spinning. I thought it was A, but was it not too obvious? Maybe B? Too obvious too? Or C, D,… I could not make up my mind. It could have been eac
Susan
Feb 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Sometimes it is what isn't in a story rather than what is in a story that makes you enjoy reading it. With this being the 8th installment in the Gina Harte series, I was very excited to read very little about her ex-husband. Yes, what he did and how she ended it will always be a part of DI Harte but this installment gives me hope that she has stopped letting him continue to control her life. Please! Because other than that, I really enjoy the characters in this series and the crimes that they in ...more
Jennie
Feb 24, 2021 rated it really liked it
Everything I love! Fast paced, likable characters and an unpredictable ending. This is book 8 in a series, but you don’t need to have read the previous books in the series. Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the free ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Sharon
This is book #8 in the DI Gina Harte series. Whilst part of a series, it can easily be read as a standalone. I would however recommend it is read in series order for better understanding of the character’s storylines. A young woman’s body is found in a park, with her lips glued shut amongst her injuries and Gina is on the case to track down the killer. I love Gina’s character and love not just seeing how she works, but also following her personal life. She’s had a hard life with her violent ex-h ...more
Stina
I am excited to be taking part in the #BooksOnTour #BlogTour for Carla Kovach's latest compelling thriller THE BROKEN ONES.

This is one of my favourite series and I always enjoy revisiting DI Gina Harte and her team with every book. The eighth installment, THE BROKEN ONES is a gritty crime thriller that has you gripped from the very beginning as the team search for a twisted killer.

Opening with a Prologue set ten years ago, trying not to be heard by their mother he creeps into his sister's darken
Denise
Mar 03, 2021 rated it liked it
This is the 8th book in the DI Gina Harte crime thriller series so don't tackle this until you've read the others. Gina is with the Cleevesford Police and this installment continues with the team that includes her sometime lover, DCI Chris Briggs. Gina has a complicated backstory that he is privy to but they can't seem to establish a real relationship for the usual reasons that include jumping to erroneous conclusions and miscommunication.

This installment starts with the discovery of a murdered
Emma Shaw
Mar 04, 2021 rated it really liked it
"She's out there and if she won't come willingly, I will take her end I will transform her, like a caterpillar becoming a butterfly."

Detective Gina Harte and her team are back. This time they are investigating the kidnapping and murder of Amber Slater after her body was found in a local park with her lips glued shut. As they interview those who knew her they begin to suspect the killer might have used a dating app to target and track his victim. And when he snatches another young girl, the team
Carla Johnson-Hicks
Mar 05, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
The Broken Ones by Carla Kovach is the 8th book in the Gina Harte series. I have not read them all, but am working through the backlist. These books can be read as standalone stories, but as I enjoy them, I recommend you read them from the beginning.

Amber Slater is a university student that is well liked by everyone. She heads out on a Friday night to meet a man she has met on AppyDate. She is not seen again until her body is found Monday morning in a river at the park, stabbed in the heart with
Elaine
This is the eighth book in the Detective Gina Harte police procedural series set in Warwickshire, England but don't let that put you off - I believe it would still work well as a standalone - it is another enthralling, edge of your seat addition to this fabulous series.

When a missing student is found murdered, with her lips super glued together, there's no shortage of potential perpetrators. When another student manages to escape an attempted kidnapper the stakes become higher. However, bringing
Tracy Wood
Feb 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
As university student Amber Slater prepares for her evening out she is excited to be finally meeting the guy she'd liked on a dating site even if it is snowing heavily and forecast to get worse. Unfortunately she has no idea just how bad its about to get.

While taking down the details from Amber's housemate after she failed to return home DI Gina Harte is notified about the discovery of a body; Amber won't be returning home ever again. With no evidence of what happened to Amber after she left to
Blue
Feb 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
After reading ‘Her Last Mistake’ in this series, I was excited to spend time with delightful and my favorite detective Gina Harte and her brilliant team.

After the body of a student Amber was found in the lake, Gina and her team had to catch the killer before more lives were lost. The audacious killer has his/her sights set upon the one who was close to the team.

Loved to see the team in action, the painstaking way the investigation has been carried out like trawling through the crime scenes, goi
Diana
Mar 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Detective Gina Harte is back! The Broken Ones is the eighth book in this series. The story begins with a young woman on her way for a night out. She never makes it to the bus station. There are so many questions right from the start. Who took her? Was it someone she knew? Why was she taken?

The story is narrated in multiple POVs including the baddie’s which was dark and chilling. There were also chapters that were narrated by victims which were quite emotional but definitely a great addition to t
Connie
Feb 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Amber Slater is a university student living in a small flat. She works hard studying and enjoys the friendship of other student friends. She recently joined a dating app and tonight is heading out to catch a bus and meet someone for dinner. Just outside her door, she disappears. She is found a couple days later face down in a lake in the park. She had been stabbed in the chest. Who killed this bright, young girl?

DI Gina Harte and her friend, DC Paula Wyer, have worked together for some time. Whe
Corinne Rodrigues
Mar 06, 2021 rated it really liked it
As with Their Silent Graves, you needn't have to read all the earlier books in the series to get into this one. However, if you have read the earlier books, you'll find that The Broken Ones is equally enthralling and suspenseful.

Amber, a missing student is murdered and her lips cruelly sealed with super glue. Who could have committed this heinous crime? There are suspects aplenty. Could the killer be the girl's professor, the barman at the place she was supposed to meet her date that evening or
Donna Hines
Apr 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, netgalley
The Broken Ones was a magnificent work of police procedure, raw emotions, and twisted childhoods that ultimately became a situation with deadly outcomes.
Plenty of dead ends, false starts, hidden dilemmas, and bitter feuds exist but one thing doesn't proof with full blown evidence.
No blood, no weapons, nothing but a dead body in a lake of a woman who was brutally killed, her lips super glued, her body stabbed to death, and nothing that could pinpoint a concrete motive.
Why?
Who would do this to a u
« previous 1 3 next »

• Cry for Help
  • One Perfect Grave (Nikki Hunt, #2)
  • The Fragile Ones (Detective Katie Scott #5)
  • Silent Voices (DI Lottie Parker #9)
  • Time Is Running Out (DCI Matilda Darke #7)
  • The Blame
  • My Husband's Girlfriend
  • The Pretty One
  • Be Mine Forever (Detectives Kane and Alton, #11)
  • The Shadow Man
  • The Wedding
  • The Girl in the Missing Poster
  • Not My Mother
  • His Hidden Wife
  • The Girl from Silent Lake (Detective Kay Sharp #1)
  • The Cold Room (D.I.Eleanor Raven #3)
  • Shadow Falls
  • Lost Souls (Detectives Lockhart and Green #3)
Carla Kovach was born in Birmingham, UK and now resides in Redditch, Worcestershire. Author of supernatural drama 'Flame,' psychological thriller 'To Let,' crime thriller 'Whispers Beneath the Pines, and romantic comedy 'Meet Me at Marmaris Castle.' Carla also writes stage and screen plays, some of which have been produced in the Worcestershire area.

Her new novel 'The Next Girl,' is available for

Detective Gina Harte (8 books)
  • The Next Girl (Detective Gina Harte, #1)
  • Her Final Hour (Detective Gina Harte, #2)
  • Her Pretty Bones (Detective Gina Harte, #3)
  • The Liar's House (Detective Gina Harte, #4)
  • Her Dark Heart (Detective Gina Harte, #5)
  • Her Last Mistake (Detective Gina Harte, #6)
  • Their Silent Graves (Detective Gina Harte, #7)

News & Interviews

Ciannon Smart has been holed up in her England home since the pandemic began a year ago, but by no means has she been idle. She’s been on...