Start by marking “El padrino” as Want to Read:
El padrino

El padrino

(Mario Puzo's Mafia)

4.37  ·  Rating details ·  297,695 ratings  ·  7,299 reviews
La publicación de "El padrino" en 1969 supuso una convulsión en el mundo literario, no solo por lo que contaba esta novela sino por cómo lo contaba. Puzo presentaba la Mafia no como una mera asociación de facinerosos, sino como una compleja contrasociedad con una cultura, unas interrelaciones y unas jerarquías comúnmente aceptadas, incluso más allá de los círculos de delin ...more
Published June 30th 2006 by Byblos (first published March 10th 1969)

To ask other readers questions about El padrino, please sign up.
Manohar Read it for the quotes.. Read it to know how composed a man needs to be when faced with unfavorable circumstances.. Read it to understand how defeat…moreRead it for the quotes.. Read it to know how composed a man needs to be when faced with unfavorable circumstances.. Read it to understand how defeat can be faced among peers and personally.. Read it so that the movies make more sense when you watch them later.. Read it with a pen and paper handy to keep jotting down the wisdom that is imparted by the author through Vito Corleone's quotes.. (less)
Lawand In 1983, Puzo's literary sequel to The Godfather was published. Entitled The Sicilian, it chronicles the life of "Giuliano" (Salvatore Giuliano) but…moreIn 1983, Puzo's literary sequel to The Godfather was published. Entitled The Sicilian, it chronicles the life of "Giuliano" (Salvatore Giuliano) but the Corleone family is featured heavily throughout, Michael Corleone in particular. Chronologically this story sits between Michael's exile to Sicily in 1950 to his return to the USA.

In 2004, Random House published a sequel to Puzo's The Godfather, The Godfather Returns, by Mark Winegardner. A further sequel by Winegardner, The Godfather's Revenge, was released in 2006. The sequel novels continue the story from Puzo's novel.(but it is for a different author)

In 2012, a prequel, based on an unproduced screenplay by Mario Puzo, titled The Family Corleone was written by Ed Falco. It tells the story of how Vito Corleone rises to Don and how Sonny Corleone and Tom Hagen enter the family business.

hope this answer helps :) (less)

·  297,695 ratings  ·  7,299 reviews

Brina
Mario Puzo wrote The Godfather, a book that was to become an instant classic, at a time when both his personal life and that of the United States were in transition. Puzo's first two novels had not sold well, and he was almost penniless. A young, up and coming author, Puzo sought to write his version of the great American novel that would also work well on the silver screen. Meanwhile, in a time of war, the nation was beginning to view the mafia rather than Cowboys as the great American hero. Ac ...more
Luca Ambrosino
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
English (The Godfather) / Italiano

New York, 1945. The Italian-American boss Vito Corleone, during the celebrations for his daughter's wedding, agrees to meet some Italian emigrants that ask for his help. Thus begins Mario Puzo's masterpiece, whose movie adaptation made Marlon Brando's interpretation of Don Vito famous. With a simple and straightforward style, Puzo manages to masterfully describe a series of intricate and temporally shifted events, involving the reader and maintaining high levels

Diane
Mar 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Best! a treasure of a story,plot and movie to keep forever...good storytelling and amazing writing (paperback!)
Kerstin
Mar 16, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm one of the people who watched the whole movie trilogy and then after that found out that The Godfather
exists as a novel. Naturally, I had to purchase it.
It is a matter of taste, I suppose, but next to the movies - so elegant and grandiose - it feels a bit like reading pulp fiction. Maybe it's that the book is lacking the presence of charismatic Hollywood giants Marlon Brando and Al Pacino, whose legendary performances rival those of Clark Gable and Vivien Leigh in Gone With The Wind. It's h
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Godfather (Mario Puzo's Mafia), Mario Puzo
The Godfather is a crime novel written by American author Mario Puzo. Originally published in 1969 by G. P. Putnam's Sons, the novel details the story of a fictional Mafia family based in New York City (and Long Beach, New York), headed by Vito Corleone. The novel covers the years 1945 to 1955, and also provides the back story of Vito Corleone from early childhood to adulthood.
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: دوازدهم ماه جولای سال 1992 میلادی
عنوان: پدر خوانده؛ نو
Matt
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic-novels
I’m sure you’ve had the timeless book-verses-movie argument before. Everyone has. You’re standing at the water cooler at work, and a coworker comes up to you and says “Boy, The English Patient is an excellent movie!” And maybe you say something back like “Michael Ondaatje’s Booker-Prize winning novel is far superior.” At that point, your coworker calls you a “pretentious snob” and you respond with “sewer-dwelling ignorance peddler.” There is some cursing. Maybe someone throws water on the other. ...more
Manny
"Come in."

"Ah, Don Corleone, I'm sorry to trouble you -"

"Sit down."

"Thank you, Don Corleone -"

"Where is your mother from?"

"I'm sorry?"

"Your mother, she is from Italia. Which town?"

The rest of this review is available elsewhere (the location cannot be given for Goodreads policy reasons)

Ana O
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mafia, tvandmovies
tenor

“He smelled the garden, the yellow shield of light smote his eyes, and he whispered, "Life is so beautiful."

photo giphy_zps1nbta658.gif
Kaion
Feb 04, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: school, modern, seen
Indeed, dear reader, I did not hate The Godfather. I h-aa-ted it.

How much did I hate it? Well I could start with a long dissemination of Mario Puzo's simplistic and repetitive prose. Puzo seems to think the reader needs a reminder of plot points that occured ten pages ago, and that unnecessarily drawing out an obvious reveal by splitting it up into three points of view counts as suspense.

Or I could give you a thorough cataloguing of how very poser-y The Godfather, with its bombastic ideas of mas
Mizuki
“Tell my father I wish to be his son." -Michael Corleone

This is the line that won me over!

Edited@15/04/2019:

GR ate my review!!! I can't fucking believe it!!! *sobs*

*re-write review is in order.......hopefully.*

Here is a few reasons why I put The Godfather in such a high place:

(1) The characters are entirely seductive, likable and engaging despite most of them being Mafia.

(2) The storyline is intensive, believable and it can keep you at the edge of your seat for almost a whole book.

(3) It's
Fabian
Feb 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Puzo creates his awesome world & then plays with his own elements (those of detective noir and mob drama) like a world-class chess champion. Less than a fourth into the narrative, POW! the Don has been shot. And, hold on a sec, who is the protagonist here? I thought Michael. Or the Consigliari Hagen. Or Hollywood heart-throb Johnny Fontaine? The full display of individual destinies is what makes this better than its cinematic equivalent. Here we see flesh-and-blood people living at a Hadean ...more
MischaS_
You gotta stop them at the beginning. Like they shoulda stopped Hitler at Munich, they should never let him get away with that, they were just asking for big trouble when they let him get away with that.

You know that you are a Czech person when this is your favourite quote/sentence(s) from the whole book.

I expected many things from this book because let's face it this book is a phenomenon! But, I didn't know what I will get because I never saw the movies and never read anything about the book.
Paul Bryant
Mar 10, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned, novels
Here’s a record breaking novel, but for the wrong reasons.

1. I gave it up so fast that I did not have time to list it as “currently reading”. First time that’s happened.
2. I did not even make page 30! I mean, I even gave Darconville’s Cat 50 pages!
3. But instead of just binning it, I need to warn people about this book, so that means I will have written Three Reviews in One Day! A record for me.

Well, I love the (first two) movies like everyone does. So what could go so wrong so fast?

Example the
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
Actual Rating: 4.5 Stars

I think this is just what I was in the mood for!
Hasham Rasool
It was a very good book. Alhamdulillah. I can't wait to get 'The Family Corleone' and 'The Sicilian' books.

My favourite characters are Vito Corleone/Godfather and Michael Corleone.

'The Godfather and The Godfather part 2' movies were awesome.

'The Godfather part 3' was pointless! The only part I actually enjoy watched 'The Godfather part 3' was 15 minutes before at the end of the film.
myra
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This book had me shook. Absolutely amazing. I’m sure most of you have heard of the Godfather because of the movies, they’re a piece of art but so is this book. I highly recommend it!
Madeline
Sep 04, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-list
New Brilliant Future Career Idea: mafia wife.

Think about it - all you have to do is cook, have some babies, and go to Mass once a day. Sure, I might have a hard time learning to never ask questions about anything, but I could always get a hobby to occupy my time with. At the very least, being a mafia wife would give me tons of free time to finish The List.

It's win-win, really.
Israel
Jul 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The epic masterpiece of mafia fiction. Puzo is good and entertaining elsewhere, here is great and masterful. It is to mobster books what Godfather parts 1 & 2 are to mobster movies...a standard that can never be equalled. What really intrigues me about Puzo's presentation of the Corleone family, and something that does not translate as explicitly to the screen, is the incredible sense of moral and religious conviction that what they do is right and good. At times I found myself believing tha ...more
Roxanne
Mar 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book! This book started my long running obsession with Mafia.

The Godfather is one of the best pieces of literature ever written. Mario Puzo paints this elaborate picture of the Sicilian mafia through the eyes of Michael Corleone, a returning Marine Corps hero who at first wants nothing to do with the elaborate crime family that his father has built.

Don Vito Corleone, an Italian immigrant who goes from poverty in Little Italy to create one of the Five Families of New York
Jr Bacdayan
May 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"..for Justice, we must go to Don Corleone."

In a world where laws are broken, where the government is only a puppet, where murder is routine and safety a rare thing, Don Corleone holds all the strings. He is the avenging angel, the thief in the night, the protector of the poor, the warrior of the wops, the ultimate puppeteer. He is the loving father, the faithful husband. He is the Godfather.

Don Vito, Sonny, Fredo, Michael, Tom, Clemenza, Tessio, Luca Brasi, the entire family, they're like the
Karl Marberger
This book was very good. Complex and gripping characters with personable motivations light the pages up with the help of exquisite dialogue and delightfully descriptive narrative. A true classic and a great pleasure to read.
Erin
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: april-2019, movie
A Masterpiece!

I've read this book 3x and each time I love it more and more. The Godfather is what all crime novels should aspire to.

That's all I got!

I'm not qualified to write a review for this book.

Read it and then watch the movies(the first 2 not part 3).
Lou
Jun 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good read that demands re-read has been long time ago for now..

Chris
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’d never read The Godfather until this summer. But my lovely bride gave me an early hardcover edition for my birthday, and the whole experience was...Proustian. Almost every passage brought back a memory from my childhood, when the book and movies were omnipresent. I loved it. It’s a classic, and deservedly so.
❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄
Mar 27, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one actually :/:
Recommended to ❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄ by: Priya's Mom
The Godfather by Mario Puzo...

Gimme one reason why there was NO CAT IN THE BOOK???
But they added one in the movie, huh.

So, the Godfather is this guy:

Most loved him, I didn't so I'm not going to talk about him. But his ideals are kinda cool.
“Friendship is everything. Friendship is more than talent. It is more than the government. It is almost the equal of family."
“Revenge is a dish that tastes best when served cold.”
“A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man.”
"Every
Matthew
This book is good. This book is really REALLY good. This book is better than I expected. Amazing!

I have to go watch the movie RIGHT NOW!

From the mean streets of New York City . . . to the casinos of Las Vegas . . . to the villas of Sicily . . . the Corleones have got things under control . . . and those who cross them will pay the price.

This book has a lot of intrigue, action, suspense, double-crossing - general bad-ass-ery. I will make you an offer you can't refuse - READ THIS BOOK!
Sidharth Vardhan
“There are things that have to be done and you do them and you never talk about them. You don't try to justify them. They can't be justified. You just do them. Then you forget it.”

"Behind every successful fortune;There is Crime.”

"The lawyer with the briefcase can steal more money than the man with the gun.”

“We are all honorable men here, we do not have to give each other assurances as if we were lawyers.”

"Time erodes gratitude more quickly than it does beauty!”

The novel 'The Godfather' leav
Loretta
Having seen the movie so many, many and did I say many times before actually reading the book, the actual reading of the book has left a lot to be desired.
Em Lost In Books
Dec 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Em Lost In Books by: Srividya
I saw the movie few years ago and loved it. I was unaware at that time that its an adaptation of a book of same name. Courtesy Goodreads I finally came to know of this fact. But still I was in no mood to read the book until my friend Srividya recommended it to me.

There are so many aspects of the book that I loved but characterization simply blew me away. Puzo has given his characters so much depth. Don Corleone, Michael, Tom Hagen, hot-headed Sonny and every other character was brilliant. Corleo
Dean
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a literary masterpiece, a modern classic, a soap opera for men, a family saga, and written so grippingly and powerful that for the most time I keep forgetting that I was reading at all..

Mario Puzo in his astonishing good novel, introduce the reader to the Corleone family and the American mafia..

Well, I wonder why it has taken me so long before reading this masterpiece..
Yes, I loved it very much indeed!!!
The characters are drawn with such accuracy, the Dialoges so believable, and the surr
Racist and sexist 62 399 Jun 14, 2019 08:34AM
what is the order of the Godfather book series? 6 887 May 13, 2019 08:53PM
Around the Year i...: The Godfather, by Mario Puzo 5 67 Apr 15, 2019 02:46AM
Who Would You Cast in a Modern Remake? 20 278 Dec 28, 2018 06:24PM
Boxall's 1001 Bo...: August {2018} Discussion -- THE GODFATHER by Mario Puzo 10 81 Oct 29, 2018 05:37PM
HillTaxiService 1 3 Jun 24, 2018 11:29PM
CdC - Gruppo di l...: Libro #21 - il Padrino 8 23 May 17, 2018 01:55AM

• Lord of the Flies
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Johnny Mnemonic: The Screenplay and the Story
  • Wiseguy
  • Anna Karenina
  • Papillon
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories, Volume  #2
  • L.A. Confidential (L.A. Quartet, #3)
  • The Godfather Returns
  • Donnie Brasco
  • The Handmaid's Tale
  • Get Shorty (Chili Palmer, #1)
  • 2001: A Space Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #1)
  • Collected Short Stories
  • The Day of the Jackal
  • Molière: A Biography
  • Detective
Puzo was born in a poor family of Neapolitan immigrants living in the Hell's Kitchen neighborhood of New York. Many of his books draw heavily on this heritage. After graduating from the City College of New York, he joined the United States Army Air Forces in World War II. Due to his poor eyesight, the military did not let him undertake combat duties but made him a public relations officer statione ...more

Mario Puzo's Mafia (7 books)
  • The Sicilian
  • The Last Don
  • Omerta
  • The Godfather Returns
  • The Godfather's Revenge
  • The Family Corleone
“I'll make him an offer he can't refuse.” 1575 likes
“Friendship is everything. Friendship is more than talent. It is more than the government. It is almost the equal of family.- Don Corleone” 1075 likes