Start by marking “Fillets of Plaice” as Want to Read:
Fillets of Plaice

Fillets of Plaice

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  991 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
If you enjoyed The Durrells in Corfu, the hit show on PBS Masterpiece Theater, and you want more Durrell family adventures on Corfu and at home, follow up the trilogy with Fillets of Plaice.
Published April 1st 2008 by Nonpareil Books (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Fillets of Plaice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fillets of Plaice

Durdles
Jul 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Superb. A gem of a book. I read this at least four times in the 70's. Bits and bobs from his life that he couldn't find a place for in other books are collected together and make for some glorious and hilarious episodes. I particularly liked his investigations into the lives of people living just off Kensington High Street who survived rent free as long as their "businesses" made no profit; his attempts to buy items from their shops are met with great resistance. Other anecdotes about attempting ...more
Rebekah Rochester
A fantastic collection of short stories (memoirs really, because they are true) following Gerald Durrell through his eventful life as the animal-mad youngest child in a very eccentric British family abroad. The humour is great - very dry and British, just my type of thing. There's a vast array of well-written 'characters', and any number of incredible events to enjoy.

The Birthday Party
Gerry's about 12 or so as the family and a rather varied bunch of friends take a very eventful trip in a boat ro
Txe Polon
Divertida y variopinta recopilación de relatos. De entre ellos, quizás el más anodino (por extensión y escasos hechos narrados) sea "Una cuestión de ascenso" (sobre la preparación de la visita de un comisario del distrito en Camerún), pero aún así es un buen relato, con unos buenos personajes a la altura de los otros, como los excelentes "La fiesta de cumpleaños" (que retoma los aires y los personajes de la Trilogía de Corfú y nos traslada de nuevo a los mejores recuerdos de esa infancia) y "Un ...more
Jacqueline Wagenstein
Апетитно блюдо хумор и приключения, забъркано по рецепта на британския писател, естествоизпитател и природозащитник Джералд Даръл!„Филе от камбала“ е безценна колекция разкази, които ще ви понесат първо към Корфу, където целокупното Дарълово семейство спретва на майка си незабравим рожден ден, после към Камерун, където канените за вечеря гости ще бъдат, меко казано, изненадани от доста неканени. А в кроткия морски курорт Борнмът на английското крайбрежие ще се срещнете с очарователната Урсула, ц ...more
Aisha
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gerry and his brother (can't remember which. Larry? Leslie?) sit outside one starry night years and years after My Family and Other Animals. Gerry happens to mention that he has a stash of experiences and funny stories which didn't make it to his previous books, but could possibly be compiled into one more. Big L. tells him to go ahead, and this is the result.
Hilarious as only Durrell can be, the collection of stories in here touches each part of his life — from childhood, to adolescence, to adu
Veselina Stefanova
Джери Даръл - този остроумен магьосник на словото, готов винаги да те разсмее, да ти осигури приятна почивка сред страниците, ми е любимец още откакто бях дете. С него няма как да скучаеш, а още по-малко да се отегчиш. Лек, свеж и интересен, този писател-пътешественик никога няма да ми омръзне. Препоръчвам с две ръце.
Liz
Nov 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
Writing was still good and stories entertaining, but there was an extra heaping of misogyny from a few characters and the story set in Africa was so full of colonial justification it turned my stomach
Kathy
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir, short-stories
A collection of stories that never made it into his other books. Includes his mother's birthday party on Corfu, where they are marooned in an isolated cove for days; his first job at a pet shop in London; his stay (sort of) at a sanitorium; and his love affair with Ursula, a woman with a complete lack of self-consciousness and a tendency to malapropisms. Fun reading, but also gives some insight into the author's personality.
Anna
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Az biztos, hogy Gerry soha nem unatkozott. Mindegy, merre járt, hány éves volt, a különféle furcsa helyzetek és érdekes emberek, no meg a rengeteg állat valahogy mindig megtalálta. De azt hiszem enélkül nem is lett volna az, aki. S feleannyira se élvezte volna az életét, no meg minket se tudott volna így elszórakoztatni :D.
Natasha
Sep 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone!
Fillets of Plaice ~ a collection of short stories written by that wonderful author; Gerald Durrell...
* The Birth of a Title...
Short story about HOW they came up with the title for the book: luscious visions of a laid back time during a stay on the Island of Corfu..

* The Birthday Party ... `Tis Mother's birthday; and a party MUST be given... Larry is told SPECIFICALLY ...NOT to take the "icebox" from the kitchen... which he totally ignores
The hilarious and rollicking adventure unfolds and proceed
Peregrino
Nov 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
Otro magnífico libro de Durrell. en esta ocasión se trata de seis relatos deslabazados (de ahí el título), que Durrell nos quiere ofrecer con su ingenioso humor british total.

Los dos primeros nos remontan a su infancia en la isla de Corfú, y podían haber sido perfectamente añadidos a su "Mi familia y otros animales", ya comentado. Deliciosos relatos de la singular familia y sus peripecias en Corfú, vistas a través de los inocentes ojos del autor. El tercero nos traslada al Londres de su adolesce
Molly
I'm afraid Gerry started out charmingly enough, a boyhood tale of catching escaped salamanders on a bus, mistaking a well-meaning colonel for a pedo and subsequently playing soldiers with him in his attic, and redecorating the tanks of bleach-eyed frogs with calloused feet...but then he ends up middle-aged in colonial Africa. This is where he goes wrong and where, following the tale, he just can't go right. He takes a foray into racism, calling others the hideous word without thinking for a minu ...more
Wayne
Feb 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of wonderfully eccentric lives, childhood reminiscences, Greek islands and hilarity.
Recommended to Wayne by: Gerald Durrell's other writings
I first read this while on a 1974/75 holiday in a remote village on one of the many islands that make up the Solomon Islands. I left it behind because we were travelling light.
Then I spent many years trying to find another copy to relive again Durrell's wonderfully hilarious biographical tales of a childhood on Corfu, and in 1930's London and as an adult in Africa.
Found a copy FINALLY in Feb 2007!!!
Read it immediately.
Do the same, is all I can say.

His "My Family and Other Animals" is entirely se
Ian Smith
Aug 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Five short stories plus an introduction make up this delightful compendium of tales from Gerald Durrell's childhood, adolescence and early adulthood. Boats and beaches of Corfu, pet shops and hospitals of London, colonial houses of Cameroon; all provide backdrops for his characteristically humorous anecdotes, richly flamboyant language and outrageous caricatures of his family and friends. I first read this as a child, and it loses none of its joy in a re-read (though does require a large pinch o ...more
Maurya
Sep 09, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Comprises five short stories; the first one that deals with the author's family taking a boat trip is hilarious but the stories that follow are quite bland. While Durrell's writing style is great throughout, there is just a magic in the voice of Gerald the child that is conspicuous by its absence in the later stories - where we deal with a grown-up Durrell and sadly, minus his unhinged family members.

Of course if you've already read My Family and Other Animals, then no amount of filler is going
Dana
Nov 13, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book for a quarter at Uncle Joe's Flea Market in Indiana. It has an especially classic style, quintessential for a flea market buying scene. Unfortunately this was my sum total story regarding this book. I liked the stories, they were pleasant and agreeable and quirky, yet I never quite felt at home with the characters or fulfilled by the end. I would never say this was a bad book, and would even go so far as to give my copy to a friend with out any guilt or fear I was causing them ...more
Sonia
Jan 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir, 2017
I thought this was going to be a continuation of My Family and Other Animals but was disappointed to find that only the first of the five short stories pertains to the family in Corfu. The BBC TV production was a good format for the author's talents - maybe better for the screen than in book form. The story set in Africa will probably upset some readers who could find it racist (which I don't think the author was) and Ursula in the last story is hilarious.
Eleanor Gunn
Aug 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love reading Gerald Durrell and this collection of short stories was no exception. He is an astute observer of human and animal nature and writes beautifully. I particularly enjoyed his time at the pet store. His writing is certainly dated but still very enjoyable. I just wish this collection included more animal stories.
Dan
Aug 01, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Fillets of Plaice. More Gerald Durrell, but this time it concentrates on his family and friends more than on his animals. It is in the tradition of Evelyn Waugh's aristocratic snobbish young English people, but with slightly more likable characters. It was well-written, but I prefer his animal stories.
Rachael
May 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Someone I would really like to have dinner with, I bring you: hilarious stories from the animal-loving brother of Lawrence Durrell (of more cosmopolitan fame--good friends with Henry Miller). I don't think any of the stories are based in the US, and all involve refreshingly genuine characters going about their ridiculous lives.
Sam Kirshaw
Nov 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hilariously funny stories from an accomplished mid-twentieth century raconteur with one or two forgivable colonial prejudices! His mother's birthday party is a jewel of a tale with a cutting description of his idiosyncratic family.
Robert
Jul 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Durrell's first short story collection and it is great, even the first encounter with Ursula Pendragon. Every story is a winner be it the pet store job or the dinner from hell. It's laugh out loud moments from start to finish.
Marilyn
Oct 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Durrell does it again, another delightful book that is wonderfully entertaining. The book is written in five chapters, each one telling of a different hilarious, crazy experience that he hadn't previously related through his other books. It will keep you smiling and chuckling.
Js
Jun 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gerald Durrell doesn't need to stand on the shoulders of his older brother. It is quite possible Larry would be laughing to hard to allow for it anyway.
Gerald Durrell offers brilliant insight into the cast of characters that make up his family and friends with a tender touch and a scathing wit.

Tarun Prabhu
Feb 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can still go back and re-read some of these stories. Modern sensibilities will almost certainly be offended by the descriptions and treatment of Africans, which, unfortunately, was normal for the time, but if you look past that, this book is as colourful as anything Durrell writes
Hazel Mills
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These stories that didn't fit into Durrell's other books are just hilarious. I suggest that they are read with tissues at hand to wipe the tears of laughter. I f you don't find this funny, we definitely don't have the same sense of humour!
Janellyn51
Aug 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this. I didn't know much about Gerald Durrell when I started, now I'd like to know more. It's a very humorous book, the stories are very entertaining, with that dry British wit. I got a kick out of his mother...
Exina
It is my favorite book by Gerald Durrell. I absolutely love it!
I read it a million times, love all of the stories, always laugh out loud at Durrell’s brilliant humor.
Jocelyn
Aug 30, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans
Five very funny stories which are wildly improbable, highly exaggerated if not completely untrue but still, awesomely hilarious.
Nicole
Feb 04, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just finished it. Great escape in Corfu, London and Africa; a perfect antidote against a long "oversnowed" winter. Gerald Durrell is an unassuming, delightful companion: light and humorous.
  • Gerald Durrell: The Authorized Biography
  • A House With Four Rooms
  • Enchanted Evening: Volume III of the Autobiography of M. M. Kaye
  • Let Sleeping Vets Lie
  • A Plague of Caterpillars (The Innocent Anthropologist #2)
  • A Vicarage family: A biography of myself
  • Quicksands: A Memoir
  • Two Under the Indian Sun
  • Zoo Vet: Adventures Of A Wild Animal Doctor
  • Prospero's Cell
  • Oleander, Jacaranda: A Childhood Perceived
  • The Plague and I (Betty MacDonald Memoirs, #2)
  • Untold Stories
  • The Nomad: The Diaries of Isabelle Eberhardt
  • Enslaved by Ducks
  • Period Piece
  • Why Birds Sing
  • Greene on Capri
Gerald "Gerry" Malcolm Durrell was born in India in 1925. His family settled on Corfu when Durrell was a boy and he spent his time studying its wildlife. He relates these experiences in the trilogy beginning with My Family and Other Animals, and continuing with Birds, Beasts and Relatives and The Garden of the Gods. In his books he writes with wry humour and great perception about both the humans ...more
More about Gerald Durrell...

“It was fantastic to dive from the side of the boat into the dark waters, for as you hit them they burst into a firework display of greeny-gold phosphorescence so that you felt as though you were diving into a fire. Swimming under water, people left trails of phosphorescence behind them like a million tiny stars and when finally Leonora, who was the last one to come aboard, hauled herself up, her whole body for a brief moment looked as though it was encased in gold.
“My God, she's lovely,” said Larry admiringly, “but I'm sure she's a lesbian. She resists all my advances.”
“She's certainly very lovely,” said Sven, “so beautiful, in fact, that it almost makes me wish I weren't a homosexual. However, there are advantages to being homosexual.”
“I think to be bisexual is best,” said Larry, “then you've got the best of both worlds, as it were.”
1 likes
“Ci ritrovammo tutti a bordo per un consiglio di guerra. La mia proposta di sopravvivere un altro paio di giorni nutrendoci di patelle fu immediatamente bocciata.” 0 likes