Start by marking “How to Read a Person Like a Book” as Want to Read:
How to Read a Person Like a Book

How to Read a Person Like a Book

Learn what your friend, your lover, your boss are really saying to you—in the language that everybody uses but nobody speaks—body language! From the renowned founder of The Negotiation Institute Gerard Nierenberg comes this easy to use guide to improving your ability to communicate with other people.

Whether conscious or not of our bodies’ movements, we express our feelings
Published November 15th 1990 by Pocket Books (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about How to Read a Person Like a Book, please sign up.
Alnutayfi I believe that the body language is something or feature born with us; because it's a psychological thing which we learn to know what does it mean. Fo…moreI believe that the body language is something or feature born with us; because it's a psychological thing which we learn to know what does it mean. For instance, there are some known body language for a liar. His/Her body will show these gestures and he won't feel it or in another word, he/she cannot control that. Just like the heart beats :).
I hope that answered your 2nd question.
(less)

Start your review of How to Read a Person Like a Book
Gregg
Apr 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
There are many levels of communications going on when a person interacts with the world, verbal, physic, and body language. Try as a person might, they cannot monitor all of these channels completely. By being observant, one can gain a truer assessment of what a person is trying to convey. This book seeks to draw your attention to the body language of people, and gain a increase insight into their true mental state.

Party scenes are analyzed, couples in public are studied, students in a class ro
Pelee_dawg
Feb 12, 2011 rated it it was ok
I enjoy reading about body language- it's hard to refute, since there have been so many studies to prove it. This book has a few great points. After reading it, I found myself in a meeting and the person on the other side of me did one of the moves and it was exactly for the reason the book stated (ear pull). It was exciting and it gave me an opportunity to stop talking and let the person tell me what they loved about the idea we were discussing.

On the other side, it's VERY dated (discusses smo
Eva Najeh
Mar 16, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, arabic
I Read the translated version of the Arabic and it was boring !!!
Kells Next Read
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
Actual Ratings: 2.75
sweepea888
Sep 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Well.. I re read this one and it has some useful information but I have read a few of these. I think it's a little dated maybe. Not that body language changes all that much but I have read more comprehensive books on the subject.

Joe Navarro would be good to check out for books in this genre. I also have another one (some woman who is a lawyer who picks juries' check my book shelf I forgot her name) is much more detailed and helpful.

Decent but not the best out there. Very basic intro at best.
Maria
Jan 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: human-dev

This was a good book. I thought this would be more in depth. Also, It doesn't add much to the basics of analysis, most of the things illustrated in this book is known to everyone of common else. I do believe that one gesture or posture has more than one meaning or referring.
Nathan Albright
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: challenge2017
It is quite well known among anyone remotely familiar with me that I enjoy reading books and that I have a great deal of interest in the problem of interpersonal communication [1]. This book is a particularly practical book, and an immensely worthwhile one for anyone who is a speaker or anyone who draws the sort of responses from other people that I have often done. It is a book on nonverbal communication, and is an attempt to help make people more responsive and observant to the tells of people ...more
Emre Güller
Jan 25, 2020 rated it did not like it
Honestly, for me this book stated the obvious, kept repeating the same statements and arguments even with the same wording over and over again, which rendered the book as annoying and boring. Even though it was very short, it still felt like an eternity reading it, and I had to push myself through it.
Aurick Frederick
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book explains in detail how a body language spoken through out many situations, whether you are presenting, negotiating, or even on casual conversation.
Very informative with lots of pictures given for easier understanding
Sara
Oct 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Non- Fiction Readers
Non- Fiction is great! I'm starting to like non-fiction a lot recently, i have been reading a lot of books that teaches youngsters how to be good leaders when they grow up. How to be a servant leader?
Well, to begin with, this book is the start, the begining of this life lesson that can set you for life! This book is great because it teaches the readers how to read body language. What does a person's body language tell us about a person, you may ask. Addtionally, it can tell you many things, l
Linah
Jul 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Out of all the beneficial books I have read, this is definitely one of the top. It doesn't give you groundbreaking information but merely sheds a light on gestures we use everyday; gestures that we probably are already aware of intuitively.

I loved the chapter on how best to understand gestures; one shouldn't interpret gestures alone but in the gesture cluster they are in, as well as context and situation which will provide a better understanding. There was an explanation on gestures that "turn
Bookworm Amir
Dec 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
How To Read a Person Like a Book is an investment that will reap you rewards in far more ways than you can imagine.

This is a 'manual' of body language. It is simple, straightforward, and written in layman's terms. It does not go into all that academic talk which would bore you - and it is very concise. In addition, they contain sketches of body language situations.

A very enjoyable read that most definitely has taught me a lot on how to 'read' people. After reading this I can gauge a person/grou
priyadharshini  sridhar
this book was just fine. this book tells you how to read gestures. it is an informative book. but this book is not very interesting for kids. I think that adults would enjoy it better. if you are a person who is interested in activities related to speaking like debate and elocution I would suggest this book for you.
Christine
Jul 10, 2008 rated it liked it
it's very interesting.. although there are words that i don't understand.
IRONBLEWIS
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was very impressed with "How to Read a Person Like a Book" . Overall, it was very informative and straight to the point. I read it in one day, and afterwards, I felt like I sort of had the upper hand over people who don't constantly observe the body language of others. It makes for quite an interesting experience considering, I work around a bunch of different people from a bunch of different backgrounds. As George Carlin would say, " I've got a front row ticket to the freak-show". To keep thi ...more
Francesko Kola
Sep 10, 2018 rated it liked it
This easy to read and relatively small book attempts to cover body language in a variety of areas of human interaction, and therefore barely scratches the surface in interpreting body language. You may not be able to read a person like a book just by reading this book, but this book is a decent introduction into body language.
The authors appropriately point out that different gestures and expressions in isolations are just like words, and that it is important to take into consideration how these
Balaji Mani
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Amazing analysis of people’s gestures. That too, almost a century-half before.

Communication is not only the way through verbal and written, but also through gestures. If One can go through this book, can recognise or identify the opponent or people’s gesture, about what people trying to convey, unconsciously.

Some of us may already reading the people by their gestures, because of our experience. But still some might be missed out to identify few things. Such things can be corrected, if we take th
Malak Gamal
Jan 29, 2019 rated it liked it
I don't know if I'm saying this because I've read about body language (briefly) before, but I feel like most tips in this book were about very obvious things. I don't need a book to tell me that women adjust their hair when they're in the presence of someone they're interested in, or that people clear their throats when they're about to do a speech because they're nervous, or when someone crosses their arm at you it means they're angry or upset or defensive. I already know all of this.
Eva Matijevic
Nov 18, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people making this type of seminars for high schoolers
Recommended to Eva by: no one
This was a wild 39-minute ride but, honestly, I don't know what I expected. The book (the preferable term would be a leaflet) starts as some weird ad where a woman tries to decide who should she ask for a date. After that, they get to business and a certain point I even thought to myself "This is what Dale Carnegie's book wishes to be". But, alas, I guess reading people like a book is not something lots of folk need a special seminars for because after a couple of common knowledge examples, they ...more
Nupur
Aug 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
A book on how to improve interpersonal communication, felt very cliche to me in the first impression, But as I kept on turning pages, I realized that even though we all want to be supreme conversationalists, extreme bluntness can lead to loss of respect among people involved. More than communicating, this book is all about how to take in unspoken words and pick up signs.
However, In my opinion, there can be instances where we might misread the situation and hence we should not completely rely on
Keke
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: stage actors
First off, great book. secondly extremely useful, the book can help you understand if someone is lying if they're bored and overcome defensiveness. I also found this book easily readable again maybe not back to back but I'd say I could pick this up again and again. It is fun to see all of the social cues people do daily. The way they walk, or stand, where they put their hand. I would recommend this book to stage actors, by using small hints and tips in the book even if their character has no lin ...more
Guntass Sandhu
May 23, 2020 rated it it was ok
It is a good book for those who absolutely knows nothing about a human’s behaviour and their body language. Since I am someone who has a psychological background, did not find it as useful as I thought that it would be. But, then again it depends upon how well you are aware about the people around you and how much to do pay attention to the smallest details which helps you to analyse their behaviour.

I would recommend it to the people who have a hard time understanding people or those who wants
Alana
May 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"Trust not a man's words if you please, or you may come to very erroneous conclusions; but at all times place implicit confidence in a man's countenance in which there is no deceit and of necessity there can be none." George Borrow

Even though my copy of this book was printed in 1974 and reference is made to phone with cords (which I can still remember), I found this book to be highly relevant and insightful.
Vincentius Ermo
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great books for everyone

The book covers the basic in identifying a hidden message behind the gestures of our counterparts.

It is great for everyone who wish to understand the other (e.g client, spouse, children, audiences, etc) in a better way, through the reading of the gestures.
Michael David
I'm not naturally sensitive or empathetic, so I like reading books that explain and pinpoint human behavior so that I can react and cope with others better. By knowing what people say through what they don't, it will help me better react to other people in conversations. I also become more cognizant of what I show these people, so that I can react accordingly.
Jesse Annoh
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: actively-reading
It accomplishes its goal of giving one the insights to reading other people. It promotes an awareness that was I missing. I found it the easiest and best book of its kind to read and constantly refer to. I'm appreciative to the authors for writing this book. I foresee it will be a valuable resource for years to come. Go out and read it!
Tara Akers
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent illustrations and written descriptions of the body language we use with clear explanations of their interpretations of each posture, gesture, and facial expression in context with different social situations. A great one to keep on the shelf as a reference for job interviews, business meetings, social gatherings, and other situations where a person's body language would help us.
Asfan Khan
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have to say, i am stunned by how much the nonverbal communication is important.
Have learned lots from the book though feels like will have to read it a couple of times more to be able to digest it properly.
Human Body language is amazingly explored here and is a very easy read.
Of the charts interesting and informative.
Mango
This book is a self-help book meant to act as a guide to body language and facial expressions. My initial impression of this book was pretty positive. I enjoyed the detailed illustrations included as I am a visual learner and like learning through images. Also, I liked all the quotes included at the start of each chapter. However, I disliked the awkward writing style, which I later realized is a result of this book being written in the 70s, and the generally boring and repetitive structure of th ...more
Victor Liu
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a good beginner's guide to everything to do with body-language. Very informative, and everything is categorised nicely into emotion clutters, but it could get a little overwhelming when you are overload with information. All in all, it's a good read to get you started with non-verbal cues.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• You Can Read Anyone: Never Be Fooled, Lied To, or Taken Advantage of Again
  • Body Language
  • Liespotting: Proven Techniques to Detect Deception
  • Yes!: 50 Scientifically Proven Ways to Be Persuasive
  • Get Anyone to Do Anything: Never Feel Powerless Again--With Psychological Secrets to Control and Influence Every Situation
  • What Every Body is Saying: An Ex-FBI Agent's Guide to Speed-Reading People
  • The Definitive Book of Body Language
  • The Simple Guide to a Minimalist Life
  • Who Will Cry When You Die? Life Lessons from the Monk Who Sold His Ferrari
  • كن لنفسك كل شيء
  • Warren Buffett and the Interpretation of Financial Statements: The Search for the Company with a Durable Competitive Advantage
  • The Power of Discipline: 7 Ways It Can Change Your Life
  • The Mortal Danger: How Misconceptions about Russia Imperil America
  • Weird in a World That's Not: A Career Guide for Misfits, F*ckups, and Failures
  • Reading People: How to Understand People and Predict Their Behavior- -Anytime, Anyplace
Gerard Nierenberg was the founder of the Negotiation Institute, an educational non-profit institute dedicated to advancing the art of negotiation. He published his first book, The Art of Negotiating, in 1968; the subsequent success of the book led to the creation of customized in-house workshops on the art of negotiating. Mr. Nierenberg provided seminars to entities from Fortune 500 companies to a ...more

News & Interviews

“The first edition of this book and the research behind it occurred long before the term "body language" became commonplace. The idea for this book originated in the early” 0 likes
“Henry” 0 likes