Start by marking “The Mothman Prophecies” as Want to Read:
The Mothman Prophecies

The Mothman Prophecies

West Virginia, 1966. For thirteen months the town of Point Pleasant is gripped by a real-life nightmare that culminates in a tragedy that makes headlines around the world. Strange occurrences and sightings, including a bizarre winged apparition that becomes known as the Mothman, trouble this ordinary American community. Mysterious lights are seen moving across the sky. Dom
Published February 18th 2002 by Tor Books (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about The Mothman Prophecies, please sign up.
Silver The movie is really well done but the book leaves much to be desired. If you do want to read the book, I would recommend watching the movie first. Add…moreThe movie is really well done but the book leaves much to be desired. If you do want to read the book, I would recommend watching the movie first. Additionally if you like podcasts, Astonishing Legends did a 4 part series about the Mothman and cover the book pretty extensively. I found the podcast more interesting and approachable than the actual book.(less)

Start your review of The Mothman Prophecies
Karl
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I read this book I was also on a huge UFO conspiracy reading binge and have to admit that this book kind of scared me at the time. Mr. Keel's realistic gathering of "Mothman" sightings and accounts especially as connected to the Black Helicopter sightings and various UFO's.

On November 12, 1966, five men who were digging a grave at a cemetery near Clendenin, West Virginia, claimed to see a man-like figure fly low from the trees over their heads. This is often identified as the first known s
jv poore
Huge thank-you to my GR friends, Karl because until I saw this on his shelf, I didn't even know it existed. And to think I was just a little girl, about an hour away when these events were going down.

I'm glad I read this. I've learned that John A. Keel is the dude that coined "Men in Black" and that his theories behind mysterious flying objects and their freaky light-shows is entirely unique, to me, at least.

I lived half my life in West Virginia, but sadly, never witnessed weird lights in the s
Mackey
Sep 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I read The Mothman Prophecies when it was first published - I know, scary, right? I was in high school and had just discovered Stephen King, a newish author that scared the hell out of me. It set me on a quest to read every horrifying book I could get my hands on and The Mothman Prophecies fell into that category.

John Keel was an avowed "UFOologist" - I'm not even sure that is spelled correctly, or a word, but that is what he claimed to be. He also absolutely believed every word that he wrote.
J.K. Grice
Jul 23, 2020 rated it liked it
****REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SLIGHT SPOILERS****

When I was a kid in the 1970's, "mysterious phenomena" were all the rage. It was the height of the Bigfoot, UFO, Loch Ness monster, and Bermuda Triangle craze. And, of course, some of my friends and I ate up all that stuff and loved the stories, movies, and newspaper clippings of that decade. I remember seeing CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND and THE LEGEND OF BOGGY CREEK in the movie theater. There were even some Bigfoot movies released as feature fil
Will
Jan 22, 2008 rated it it was ok
I'm giving this book two stars (rather than just one) because of the seemingly unintentional hilarity of it as well as its psychological depth. John Keel is clearly both delusional and megalomaniacal, and this book chronicles what appears to be his descent into madness.

My favorite parts are the ones in which he goes out to an abandoned road at night to commune with the Mothman BY HIMSELF, with no witnesses or cameras to prove it.

So yeah, this is a weird one. I'd be lying if I said I didn't get
Mike (the Paladin)
Jul 13, 2010 rated it it was ok
In 1967 I was dating a girl from WV. She was very aware of the Silver Bridge disaster, so I was very aware of it also. Of course if she had been very aware of pink elephants in sweat clothes I would have been to. High school and "love" ain't it great? She was also interested in "esoteric literature" and as it happened I was to...and this time I had been interested in it before I got interested in her. Over the years that we were together we read a lot of this type of book, including Keel's earli ...more
Jessaka
Apr 17, 2020 rated it it was ok
Quit Thinking About UFOs

I thought that this would be a fun read, and it was in the beginning for it was strange, scary, and downright creepy. But I never got it out of my head, after reading a friend’s review of this book, that the Mothman could have been a sandhill crane, a large bird whose eyes glowed red at night. I would be frightened of any creature whose eyes glowed red.

I had never heard of the Mothman of the 1960s. While I have been somewhat interested in UFOs in my earlier years, I neve
Joshua
Feb 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
The book was pretty scary...veracity not withstanding. I like to look at it up on the bookshelf. It's a creepy title staring down at me, the haunting sound of fiddles off in the distance. Sometimes when I stare at this book for a while I get very hungry. Yet still scared and hungry in combination.

You might even say I get "Scungry". While reading this book on the toilet, my phone rang and and a disembodied voice on the other end screeched "Your in the bathroom aren't you?"

Turns out it was my mom
Paul  Perry
Nope.

Got about a third of the way in and this continues to be nothing but a collection of anecdotes and bullshit. I have better things to do with my time.

I think Keel's attitude is best summed up by these lines that close chapter three:

"Camera malfunctions are remarkably common among would-be UFO photographers, and even those that try to take pictures of the serpent at Loch Ness. It almost seems as if some outside force fouls up cameras when monsters and UFOs are around."

I would like to think th
Peter
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
This is really eerie and uncanny!
Heidi The Reader
May 06, 2014 rated it liked it
What a disturbing book. I remember that the film was pretty disturbing too but it had nothing on this.

Account after account of strange lights, unexplained grey/winged creatures, animal evisceration, mechanical failures, hallucinations, strange phone calls- the list goes on and on. Then it gets truly bizarre as the "aliens" begin to predict world disasters, culminating in the bridge collapse at Point Pleasant.

John Keel leaves little doubt in the reader's mind that impossible things can happen to
K.T. Katzmann
Oct 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Horror Fans, Monster Lovers, UFO buffs, Cryptozoology Fans
Amusing, well-written crazy that veers into nightmare fuel. The movie is as watered down an adaptation as Disney's "Hunchback of Notre Dame."

Let me give out a caveat: I don't think your enjoyment of this book hinges on believing a word of it. Kenneth Hite called Keel one of the premiere unappreciated horror writers of the 20th century, and this book is why. Treat it as fiction; I did, and I loved it.

Keel travels to Point Pleasant, West Virginia, in order to examine a UFO "flap." On the way, he i
Darrell
Nov 15, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: reviewed
While I didn't buy that this was based on a true story, I did enjoy the movie, so I thought I'd read the book. However, the book has almost nothing to do with the movie. The Mothman barely makes an appearance and there isn't really any narrative structure. Instead of "based on a true story" the book should have "a series of unrelated anecdotes" on the cover.

John Keel lists numerous contactee stories from people all over the world and attempts to connect them. He claims that similarities between
Chris Gordon
What an absolute disappointment! Total trash!

While I do not actually believe in cryptids and other such mythical creatures like the Loch Ness Monster or Big Foot, I do find the history and stories behind these beings fascinating. One of these cryptids which I have always wanted to learn more about was the Mothman of Point Pleasant, mostly because of the comparisons made between it and my home state's Jersey Devil. The most lauded book on the Mothman was John Keel's The Mothman Prophecies, and w
John
May 02, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: owned-books
Story - 1.0 Star
Narration - 4.5 Stars
Christine Staszko
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Let me start by saying if you’ve seen the Richard Gere film adaptation of this book, this is not like that at all (and thank god!). Don’t get me wrong; the movie is entertaining but its story is merely inspired by this book. If you want to know the true play by play of what went down then start with this book. I was far more interested in finding a first hand account of the true Mothman story compared to anything Hollywood could conjure up. It wasn’t immediately clear when I looked up this book ...more
Little Miss Esoteric
3.5 stars.

First off I'd like to mention that I have never been interested in UFOs or 'aliens'. This is fairly obvious given the title of my GR shelf for such books.

Secondly, John Keel rambles. Both 'The Mothman Prophecies' and 'Operation Trojan Horse' feel as if they were written in haste. Points are made then forgotten, or undermined by future passages. The writing and ideas simply don't flow. I will admit I skimmed many of the testimonials and sightings. Too repetitive by far.

My gripes aside
Jordan West
Keel is definitely no Charles Fort - he's too eager to make his case whereas the latter correlated, speculated, and encouraged the reader to come to their own conclusions; even so, if this ostensibly 'true' tale is taken with a generous serving of salt, it can provide an entertainingly unnerving reading experience for enthusiasts of the weird.
Carrie (brightbeautifulthings)
In 1966, the town of Point Pleasant, West Virginia experienced a host of UFO sightings, visits from mysterious men in black suits and panel trucks, and a far more sinister creature taller than a man with wings and red eyes. A little over a year later, the collapse of the Silver Bridge over the Ohio River resulted in the deaths of nearly fifty people, and the Mothman has haunted cryptid mythology ever since. Professional UFO investigator John Keel documents the sightings leading up to the tragedy ...more
Kimberly
May 09, 2020 rated it liked it
While the information included was interesting, the format was more "data collecting" than I had expected.
Baal Of
Feb 11, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is an example of how sometimes the worst books generate some of the most enjoyable discussions at a book club. Our group of about 8 participants at the Nightmare Factory book club had a rousing, laugh-filled session ripping this book to shreds. This book is bad on so many levels from its terribly written prose, to the shoddy research, from the unfocused, disorganized approach, to the lack of references or bibliography, and the stunning arrogance and insulting attitude of John Keel, shi ...more
Scott Meesey
Jul 24, 2011 rated it did not like it
I'm actually surprised at the number of positive reviews of this book. Here's why:

0.5/5 stars because I feel obligated to give it something.

I enjoy reading about "unexplained phenomena". I really do. I love "real" ghost stories and the like. However, I prefer an author to take a very scientific stance, exhausting all possibilities. Keel does not. He's a "true believer" and that's the problem.

Somewhere in the book he supposes that this mysterious Mothman could have been a man on a hang-glider. "
Nathan
Mar 21, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandonded
I quit.

I liked the movie. I thought this was going to be "non-fiction" first-person narrative of John Keel's experiences in Point Pleasant and what he thought was the explanation.

He arrived in Point Pleasant convinced he had a solution and surprise, surprise, he found a mystery. I scanned ahead after reading 37 pages and the bulk of the book appears to be a compendium of the author's research "evidence" filled with phrases like, "Obviously the government was determined to cover up the facts."
Eddie Watkins
May 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal-etc
John Keel died last Friday after a long career as the most interesting mouthpiece for strange phenomena. He was one of those Fortean writers whose very example made it clear that our own mental states are the critical factor in experiencing paranormal phenomena. And I don't mean that that means it's "all in one's head", I mean that our mental states leak out into the world and somehow affect what happens, or attract strange happenings, or bring to light strange things that are always there but u ...more
J. Gowin
This is one of those books that I don't know how to rate. The author has a talent for description and a flair for turning phrases which kept me reading. However, he seems more interested in painting a grand image, than in providing a coherent sequence of events. The book is constantly jumping around in time from immediately relevant events to things that happened years after or before the tragedy in Point Pleasant, WV. I cannot say if this was an attempt by the author to demonstrate a possible a ...more
Izzy
Apr 23, 2020 rated it did not like it
Dnf pg 25.

Welp. I can guess why I stopped reading this. I bought this because I wanted a cryptid story, but so far it's basically about UFOs. Also, there's only so many instances I can read the outdated (racist) language...
Ren
May 20, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: americana
I love love love the Mothman story so I had to read this eventually even if I knew it was going to be a goofy mess. It very much is, and John Keel is a bit of a kook (I mean that in the nicest way) with a tenuous relationship with solid facts but it was way more entertaining than it should be. Much more men in black and tons and tons of recounting of incidents of high strangeness than Mothman though. He's a minor character at best. And it left me with so many questions, some of which he easily c ...more
Paul
Apr 16, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
Hmmm, a documentary wasn't what I expected, with a few too many conspiracy theories but there were a few good ones in there.
Niki
Jan 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf, hard-pass
DNF at 15%, at least for now. Maybe I'll pick it up in the future, but, for now, I can't waste any more time trying to make myself read this.
Jason P

I'm not going to go too far into this because I don't really have much to say about it. The Mothman Prophecies was an okay book, not the greatest but definitely not the worst, although considering I haven't read another monster-doc so in this case - not the best?

To be honest I grabbed this off of Audible because Craig Wasson was the narrator. I know, I know, what kind of a reason is that?

Well, a damn good one! Have you listened to him narrate 11 22 63?

If you haven't do try it out, you shan't r
Horror Aficionados : May 2020 Group Read #1: THE MOTHMAN PROPHECIES, John A. Keel 94 226 May 17, 2020 04:08PM
Horror Aficionados : the mothman Festival 1 19 Jul 13, 2016 03:18PM

• Hunt for the Skinwalker: Science Confronts the Unexplained at a Remote Ranch in Utah
  • Communion: A True Story
  • Monsters Among Us : an exploration of otherworldly bigfoots, wolfmen, portals, phantoms, and odd phenomena
  • Passport to Magonia: On UFOs, Folklore, and Parallel Worlds
  • Castaways
  • American Monsters: A History of Monster Lore, Legends, and Sightings in America
  • Intruders
  • Encounter in Rendlesham Forest: The Inside Story of the World's Best-Documented UFO Incident
  • Messengers of Deception: UFO Contacts and Cults
  • The Secret Commonwealth: An Essay of the Nature and Actions of the Subterranean (and, for the Most Part) Invisible People, Heretofore Going under the Name of Elves, Fauns, and Fairies
  • The Day After Roswell
  • Dimensions: A Casebook of Alien Contact
  • I Know What I Saw: Modern-Day Encounters with Monsters of New Urban Legend and Ancient Lore
  • The Inhumanoids: Real Encounters with Beings that can't Exist!
  • UFOs: Generals, Pilots and Government Officials Go on the Record
  • Unexplained: Supernatural Stories for Uncertain Times
  • Secret Cipher of the Ufonauts
  • The Last Book on the Left: Stories of Murder and Mayhem from History’s Most Notorious Serial Killers
John Alva Keel (born Alva John Kiehle) was a Fortean author and professional journalist.

Keel wrote professionally from the age of 12, and was best known for his writings on unidentified flying objects, the "Mothman" of West Virginia, and other paranormal subjects. Keel was arguably one of the most widely read and influential ufologists since the early 1970s. Although his own thoughts about UFOs an

News & Interviews

“The FBI and the CIA hate each other, and they both hate the telephone company. The telephone company, in turn, seems to hate everybody.” 7 likes
“They are not from outer space. There is no need for them to be. They have always been here.” 5 likes