Start by marking “The Fort (City of Victory #1)” as Want to Read:
The Fort (City of Victory #1)

The Fort

(City of Victory #1)

From bestselling historian Adrian Goldsworthy, a profoundly authentic, action-packed adventure set on Rome's Danubian frontier.

AD 105: DACIA

The Dacian kingdom and Rome are at peace, but no one thinks that it will last. Sent to command an isolated fort beyond the Danube, centurion Flavius Ferox can sense that war is coming, but also knows that enemies may be closer to home.
Published June 10th 2021 by Head of Zeus

To ask other readers questions about The Fort, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fort

Start your review of The Fort (City of Victory #1)
Emma
Mar 15, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley

Flavius Ferox is in trouble. If you've met him before (in Goldsworthy's Vindolanda series), you'll know that Ferox is always in trouble. In fact, he's such a magnet for shitty situations, that were I somehow to be transported back to this period, I'd sure as hell make sure I remained in whatever part of the Roman Empire that was the furthest distance from wherever he is. Not only is this book no exception from the Ferox danger rule, it's the bloodiest exemplar of it to date.

It is BRUT
Cathy
Hadrian to Ferox: "You are a hard man to kill, and you have the knack of winning against the odds."

Although The Fort is the first in a new series, it features Flavius Ferox as well as some of the other characters from the Vindolanda series. For example, Ferox’s friend Vindex and some of Ferox’s household staff. It appears to follow on directly from events in the final book in the Vindolanda trilogy, Brigantia. However, for the benefit of readers (like me) who haven’t read Brigantia, or indeed th
The Coycaterpillar Reads
Jun 19, 2021 rated it really liked it
Sometimes you just pick up a book and fall into another time. The Fort by Adrian Goldsworthy is one such book. The time, the characters, the narrative. Everything just seems to slot into place. The characterization skills are terrifically utilized and the plot was swift-moving and often balancing on a knife-edge. I am a huge fan of historical fiction and I genuinely believe that I would be hard placed to see a better example of it than, The Fort.

Flavius Ferox is a character that instantly called
Keith Currie
Apr 07, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Flavius Ferox Defends a Fort

This is the first in a new series featuring the cast of the same author’s Vindolanda series. Centurion Flavius Ferox and his pal Vindex and a force of fierce Brigantes are posted to a remote fort in the hills on the border of Dacia, modern Romania. Trajan has defeated the Dacians in the first war, but there is an uneasy peace and clever men suspect war will or should soon be renewed. Among such men is the emperor’s young nephew, the tribune Hadrian.

It takes a while to
Peter
Mar 24, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Falvius Ferox returns, this time in charge of a fort on the Dacian frontier as the 2nd Dacian War looms, with Decebalus ready to break the treaty. An ambitious Hadrian complicates matters while the besieged Romans, many of them Brigantes with their reasons for killing Ferox, do their best to inventively resist repeated assaults. The action is well-described as is the detail of the fort, Roman customs, politics and army life. The Dacians are not quite as well-realised but obviously there are far ...more
Sue
Jun 15, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Welcome to the Dacia in the year AD 105, somewhere around the region of what we know today as Romania and Moldova, where an uneasy peace lies between the people of the Dacian Kingdom and the Roman Empire, following the Dacian War between 101 and 102 AD. Although ostensibly under Roman Rule, after Emperor Trajan's defeat of King Decebalus, unrest is on the rise, driven by rebellion in the hearts of the native population, and it seems war may be on the horizon once more.

Our story begins with Centu
Annarella
Jun 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Animula, vagula, blandula
Hospes comesque corporis (Hadrian)

When I ARC this book, I was reading Philip and Alexander by Adrian Goldsworthy, so I knew that the historical parts were going to be well researched and accurate.
It was the first historical fiction I read by this author and won’t surely be the last because I found it gripping and fascinating. I didn’t read Vindolanda and this means I didn’t knew anything about Ferox and other characters that were featured in this previous story.
The story
Vicki Antipodean Bookclub
Mar 20, 2021 rated it really liked it
“Ferox remembered reading that Cicero felt his new villa had gained a soul when a library was created”
I first met Titus Flavius Ferox when he was Centurio Regionarius of the fort of Vindolanda at the far reach of the Roman Empire in North-Eastern England. Born of the Silures, a tribe from South Wales, Ferox was taken hostage and raised as a Roman before being commissioned into the army. The three books of the Vindolanda series show Ferox as a skilled soldier and a man of sound judgement and f
TheMagicofWorlds
- The Magic of Wor(l)ds blog (https://themagicofworlds.wordpress.com/) is a hobby, reviews and other bookish stuff on this site are done for free.
I'm grateful of receiving a free copy from the publisher/author in exchange for an honest review of this book. -

I’m going to start with immediately saying that when I saw this book I really thought it was a brand new series (It says it also on the cover!), but that’s, in my opinion, not 100% true as a couple of pages in the book I started to have the f
travelsalongmybookshelf
I have not read many books, if any, set in this period and my knowledge is very limited to school, many moons ago and TV.

This book lands you deep in Roman territory and I have to admit I found it difficult to get into at first. There are maps to get your bearings but I could have done with a cast list to get to grips with the characters - I do so love a list!

Flavius Ferox is a centurion sent to command an isolated fort beyond the Danube. There is peace between Rome and the Dacian Kingdom but wil
M.J.
Jun 09, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Fort by Adrian Goldsworthy is good 'Roman' era fiction.

Set in Dacia in AD105, it is the story of 'The Fort' under the command of Flavius Ferox, a character some will know from Goldsworthy's previous trilogy that began with Vindolanda.

Mistakenly thinking this was an entirely new trilogy with all new characters, it took me a while to get into the story. Everyone seemed to know everyone else apart from me. But Ferox is a good character, and he grounded me to what was happening in the immediate
Zoe M
Jun 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love historical fiction but I normally stick to a similar time period. This book has pushed me out of my comfort zone but I'm so glad I did because I loved it.

It did take me a few chapters to get into the book (this is down to me and not the author) but once I did I couldn't put it down. The rich history of the book made it both intersting and I learned so much. The author has researched this era very well and was able to express his words that made it totally believable. I enjoyed the charact
K Saju
Jun 20, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love to read good historical fictions and from the first chapter fell in love with The Fort
by Adrian Goldsworthy. A bloody and all out action packed story set under the Roman rule, the book delivers in all areas of intrigue, war, politics, history,fiction, characters. The book has very well described the times of the Roman and the 'barbarians' along the Danubian frontier with a good mix of actual historical figures. This book is one for all those history buffs. Recommended read.
Doug Rogers
Jun 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best so far

This book is the best of the series so far. Lots of fighting, lots of humor,beautiful women.what could go wrong?
Laura Turner
Jun 02, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2021-reads
If you enjoyed the Vindolanda series, you’re sure to enjoy The Fort. Featuring the same cast, we see the return of Falvius Ferox, who this time is in charge of an isolated fort on the Dacian frontier as the second Dacian War imminently looms. Reunited with characters such as Vindex, Philo and Claudia, to name just a few, it’s like a meeting of old friends we’ve not seen for a while as well as meeting new ones such as a young Hadrian who I found was portrayed very well.

I will say that it does ta
peter eells
« previous 1 3 next »

• A Net for Small Fishes
  • The Wolf Den
  • Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont
  • What They Knew (Detective Clare Mackay, #4)
  • A Song for Lonely Wolves (Joseon Detective, #1)
  • The Last Bloody Straw (DCI Logan Crime Thrillers, #5)
  • Ahead of the Game (DCI Logan Crime Thrillers #10)
  • The Assistant
  • The Brisbane Line
  • Two Shakes of a Lamb's Tail: The Diary of a Country Vet
  • Brideshead Revisited
  • Body of Stars
  • A Half Baked Idea: How grief, love and cake took me from the courtroom to Le Cordon Bleu
  • Eat a Peach
  • Insatiable
  • Tigers, Not Daughters
  • Greenwitch (The Dark is Rising, #3)
  • Protector (Athenian #2)
Adrian Goldsworthy is the author of numerous acclaimed books, including biographies of Julius Caesar and Augustus. He lectures widely and consults on historical documentaries for the History Channel, National Geographic, and the BBC. He lives in the UK.