Start by marking “Origami to Astonish and Amuse: Over 400 Original Models, Including Such "Classics" as the Chocolate-Covered Ant, the Transvestite Puppet, the Invisible Duck, and Many More!” as Want to Read:

Imagine folding a piece of paper into nail clippers that really work, or a Swiss Army knife that actually opens, or a surfer on a wave that crashes when the surfer is slid forward...There's no need to imagine-this is for real!

In Origami to Astonish and Amuse Jeremy Shafer has taken the art of paper folding in an entirely new direction. Filled with hundreds of entertaining
Published July 6th 2001 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Origami to Astonish and Amuse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Origami to Astonish and Amuse

Genuine Origami by Jun MaekawaOrigami from Angelfish to Zen by Peter EngelAdvanced Origami by Michael G. LaFosseOrigami Omnibus by Kunihiko KasaharaModular Origami Polyhedra by Lewis Simon
Origami
115 books — 9 voters
Ready Player One by Ernest ClineThe Hobbit or There and Back Again by J.R.R. TolkienEnder's Game by Orson Scott CardThe Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams1984 by George Orwell
Best books for geeks
205 books — 238 voters

More lists with this book...

Melki
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I've never had much luck with origami and I've pretty much given up all hope of ever creating even the simplest folded crane. But every now and then, I'll see something REALLY COOL that makes me want to give it a try...yet again.

A few years ago, it was this tiny folded suit that I saw on a talk show:

description

I took one look at the instructions and gave up.

Just recently, it was this Goodreads giveaway.

Once again, I took one look at the instructions and gave up.

description

This stuff is just TOO HARD for me.

But i
Lorrie
Jun 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction-other
This book is aptly titled - these origami designs certainly are astonishing and amusing. I look forward to trying my hand at some of them. Each design comes with detailed, illustrated instructions. Many of them *look* quite complicated, so I'm hoping my amateur paper folding skills measure up. Ha.

I received this book in a Goodreads giveaway.
Lili
Jul 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: origami
Jeremy Shafer is one of the more creative origami artists that I have seen...his designs are eclectic and so unusual! I suggest any origami give this book a read...the models will entrance you and his commentary will crack you up!
King
Jul 05, 2019 added it
c
SJonic
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: origami
Such a good book for learning origami
Krystal Hickam
Nov 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I have to say out of all the craft books that I own, this is one of the most unique I have ever ran across. I have always had a fondness for japanese origami. So when I received this book, I was very excited to learn some new paper folding techniques. And it sure is a doozy, this book is not for the beginner paper folder. It is rather advanced and be prepared to go through quite a bit of paper trying to get some of the folds correct. This is not a bad thing in anyway, as it provides a heck of a ...more
Kateri
Nov 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Origami to Astonish and Amuse by Jeremy Shafer

This book is awesome!!! I am a beginner in the world of folding paper and when I saw how many complicated designs there were, I freaked out. Normally books with advanced folding do not stop to explain what all the origami terms mean and the diagrams are often hard to decipher. This book not only has very easy to read diagrams, it also takes the time to explain what each origami term means and even some modern history of origami as well as the author
vonblubba
Jan 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Origami per fulminati.
Questo tizio è un pazzoide (nel senso buono del termine). Come altro si può definire qualcuno che inventa modelli tipo l'automobile con le gambe, l'"heart attack" (una specie di lingua di menelicche con un cuore sulla punta), l'"unfortunate suitor" (una scarpa da donna con la sagoma di un uomo spiaccicata sotto la suola), la mano che suona un pianoforte (stile famiglia Addams), il tagliaunghie (!!!), per finire con la versione origami di "drawing hands" di Escher.
Detto cos
ZombieLMG
Jun 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This is a very diverse origami book. There are instructions for many highly complicated models but there also many for beginners. (I'd say it's evenly split.) It has a brief tip section about types of paper to use besides regular origami paper. There is also a step-by-step guide in the beginning that is very useful that shows you how to do all the basic folds and bases that are used in the book (and origami in general). There's a great section of wacky models called 'Origami for the Almost Deran ...more
Sara
Jun 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
I got this book from a Goodreads Giveaway

For being a crafty person I found this book quite fun. This book takes regualar origami and turns it on its head. There are so many new and unique patterns in this book and gives some fun challenges. I really like the beginning of the book where it goest through a lot of the folds and shows a more detailed step by step guide on how to do them so if you get confused later you can always flip back to the beginning to review a certain fold.

The downside is t
Rosibel
Wow!! This is a awesome book!!
I am the happiest person because I wan "Origami to astonish and amuse" thank you!!, thank you!!, thank you!! I love it and I know that my son will love it too. I enter the giveaway hoping to win it for him because his birthday , the 20 of this month he will be 10 and he loves origami.
The book is easy to follow with lots and lots of things do do, is amazing.
I recommend this book everybody will love it and has a lot of fun things that you can do specially this time o
Alex
Jun 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
What a fun tabletop book!

As someone who appreciates origami and made hundreds of cranes as a child, I was drawn to this book. I loved the adult nature of using origami for entrainment. My only disappointment with this book was with the lack of colored pictures of the finish products. Plus, I would have loved to see a different cover design so that I could use it as a coffee table book.

Some of the models are very difficult but there are enough models that are not for someone who is just starting
Monica
Nov 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
With lots of crazy designs that make you giggle like a kid, this book is good for those who like origami and want to go further than traditional cranes and flowers. Each model is labeled with one of five levels of complexity and, once you get a hang of the unusual instructions, everything is pretty straightforward. I found myself spending hours testing these designs and realized this is a good low-tech solution to rainy afternoons.
*ARC for an honest review
Rena
Sep 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
These models are harder than what my daughter can do so far, but she loves a challenge. Some of them are really funny -- the author has a good sense of humor.

Received from GoodReads.com for review.
Tammy
Feb 15, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: own, crafts, origami
The book provides a wide range of black, white, and blue (differentiating front and back) patterns with level ratings. Some really neat patterns, but sadly, most of the cool stuff was beyond my (intermediate) skill level. The clarity of the instructions is good/average.
Courtney
Nov 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great learning book! Loved it and plan to create more pieces of art!
Михаил Довгалев
Tina Laws
Jun 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book. I got interested in Origami as a child and now with this book I can do more things with paper.
Ck Nguyên
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
good
Thomas R.
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
SO COOL
Randi
Nov 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Clever book! Mr. Shafer does an amazing job entertaining his readers as well as educating them on the art and challenge of origami.
Shiloh
Nov 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As advertised my friends were astonished and amazed and soon folding right along with me!
Allen2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Fabulous Origami Boxes
  • Origami Handbook
  • Origami Design Secrets: Mathematical Methods for an Ancient Art
  • Playing with Books: The Art of Upcycling, Deconstructing, and Reimagining the Book
  • Sew  Stow: 31 Fun Sewing Projects to Carry, Hold, and Organize Your Stuff, Your Home, and Yourself!
  • Zakka Style-Print-on-Demand-Edition: 24 Projects Stitched with Ease to Give, Use & Enjoy
  • Knit Your Own Dog: Easy-to-Follow Patterns for 25 Pedigree Pooches
  • Bend the Rules with Fabric: Fun Sewing Projects with Stencils, Stamps, Dye, Photo Transfers, Silk Screening, and More
  • All Things Paper: 20 Unique Projects from Leading Paper Crafters, Artists, and Designers
  • Stitched in Time: Memory-Keeping Projects to Sew and Share from the Creator of Posie Gets Cozy
  • The Art of Papercutting
  • The Hungry Scientist Handbook: Electric Birthday Cakes, Edible Origami, and Other DIY Projects for Techies, Tinkerers, and Foodies
  • Magic Eye 2: Now You See It... (Magic Eye, #2)
  • The Big-Ass Book of Crafts 2