Start by marking “The Stepmother” as Want to Read:
The Stepmother

The Stepmother

After a series of heartbreaking miscarriages, Kate’s marriage is hanging by a thread. When her husband Michael tells her he has shocking news, at first, she thinks the worst – he’s been having an affair. It would explain why he’s been so distant. Instead, he reveals that the daughter he abandoned twenty years ago is coming to stay.

Kate is blindsided by the sudden arrival o
Kindle Edition
Published April 8th 2021 by Canelo

To ask other readers questions about The Stepmother, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stepmother

Start your review of The Stepmother
Louise Wilson
Apr 02, 2021 rated it liked it
2.5 stars rounded up to 3

After a series of heartbreaking miscarriages, Kate's marriage is hanging by a thread. When her husband Michael tells her he has some shocking news, she thinks he's been having an affair. Instead he reveals that the daughter he abandoned twenty years ago, is coming to stay. Kate is blindsighted by the sudden arrival of Imogen mere hours later. Her stepdaughter seems wary of her own father. kate is pleased to find herself connecting with Imogen, until one day, Imogen revea
The Coycaterpillar Reads
The Stepmother is more a domestic thriller than one that pinpoints at psychological. It tells a story of Kate, a woman who is suffering after the loss of multiple babies. The miscarriages are draining her, and the only thing that really has her focus is her work, sculpting. The prologue opens with a shock – someone being lowered into a makeshift grave. It had me intrigued especially as the narrative leads you to believe that the person being put into a grave is who is deeply loved. What is the s ...more
Linda Leone
Mar 25, 2021 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
I would not call this book a thriller at all. More like a family drama. This book is more about Kate and how what she does will have lasting impact than it is about her relationship with her stepdaughter.
This was all over the place at times with random events thrown together to make a book. I didn't care for any of the characters and only a few times did I care about what happens to them. Just not the book for me.

Thanks to netgalley and Canelo for the arc
Robin
Apr 04, 2021 rated it liked it
Ros Carne, The Stepmother, Canelo, United Kingdom, 2021.

Thank you to NetGalley for providing me with this copy for review.

The short prologue is gripping: two women bury a body, not in anger, but with love. The novel is then divided into three parts, two months earlier, with Kate as the main protagonist and the solution to the mystery of the body; part 2, where Michael’s story is central; and part 3, a year later, where some features of the main characters’ relationship are solved with the rules
Connie
Apr 09, 2021 rated it it was ok
Kate, 36, is a sculptor and is married to Michael, 48, a lawyer. She is recovering from her third miscarriage and is concerned when the doctor mentions that Michael’s weaker sperm may be a reason for their problem.

Out walking her dog one day, Kate meets a young man who works at the local butcher. Chatting with him, she is interested in the structure of his face and asks him to model for her. Unfortunately, this leads to an affair.

Michael has been married before and is the father of Imogen, now
Ashley Tyler
Thank you NetGalley, author Ros Carne, and Canelo for giving me a free arc of this book in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Trigger warning: talks about miscarriages, struggles with fertility, talk about past attempt to die by suicide.
Kate's marriage has fallen on hard times! Kate and her husband are struggling due to a series of miscarriages that have happened throughout their marriage. Being sad and disappointed with the most current loss, Kate is t
Brenda
Mar 16, 2021 rated it liked it
Jam packed with suspense, this book quickly reeled me in. Dinner was delayed so I could finish it! The plot is compelling and incredibly twisty...and twisted.

Sculptor Kate and barrister Michael are married and have just gone through another devastating miscarriage. After losing the baby things fall apart all around them and keep getting worse and worse until reaching a crescendo where something has got to give. This book is about choices...mostly poor...and reactions to those choices which is w
Annie
Mar 30, 2021 rated it liked it
Quite slow moving book about a couple. At first it seems as though they are well matched, but as the book progresses the cracks in their relationship appear. Mostly written from the point of view of Kate, there are also chapters which are written in Michael's voice. Michael's daughter, aged 22,, comes to stay having never met Kate and despite the poor relationship she seems to have with her father.
Kate is very self absorbed, Michael a mysterious older man. There is lots about their relationshi
Samadhee Ismail
Apr 07, 2021 rated it liked it
The title appealed to me at first so I was excited to read this book. But unfortunately, this book did not live up to my expectations.

Kate is a sculptor and she was having a not so happy married life with a man named Michael, who is a solicitor. So when while she was walking her dog Timba, she meets Steve and asks him to model for her. And what should have been job just turned to a steamy love affair between the two. Then Michael's daughter Immy comes to stay with them.

This was OK in the beginni
Sara Clifford-gray
Mar 30, 2021 rated it liked it
I read The Pupil by the same author and gave it a five star review, so I was really excited to start this one. The description marked it out as a Psychological Thriller, however I don’t think it was – it was a story of a family, albeit somewhat dysfunctional, each with their own secrets and how those secrets would later connect them together.

I didn’t seem to gel with any of the characters, none of them seemed believable, or likable – except for Timba the family’s lovely dog.

This isn’t what I w
M.M. DeLuca
Mar 26, 2021 rated it really liked it
This elegantly written suspense novel quickly drew me in and transported me into the lives of Kate and Michael and their dysfunctional marriage. Carne's descriptive language develops a lovely feel of the lush, rural setting and really highlights Kate's artistic sensibilities which are front and centre here. Rather than being a fast-paced. plot-driven thriller, this novel slowly and deliberately uncovers Kate's troubles, which compels the reader to keep turning the pages. Kate is an imperfect cha ...more
Kara Watson
Apr 04, 2021 rated it liked it
This book was filled with dysfunctional relationships, which would be fine except for the fact that I feel like I didn’t truly to get to know the majority of the characters (aside from Kate, but I still had many questions) and couldn’t understand why they were making half the decisions that they did throughout the book.

The plot wasn’t bad, but I felt like it took until halfway in for things to get interesting. I didn’t like the situations the characters got themselves into, and as stated above
Helen Frost
Mar 24, 2021 rated it liked it
Disturbing, sinister and unsettling in places but I’m not sure whether in a good way! There are some trigger warnings around miscarriage, DA and also violence against animals.
Parts of the story were strangely intriguing and drew me in but the overall story made me feel slightly uneasy and also a bit cheated, like there was something a bit lacking. Worth a read but I still can’t decide whether I liked it.
Anne
Mar 26, 2021 rated it it was ok
Based on the description, I was really looking forward to this book and while I enjoyed parts of it, I found it just was flat with few emotional highs or lows. The ending was so abrupt and disappointing that it ruined the whole book for me. It felt like the author wrote herself into a hole so she just ended with that part and wrote a year later. This didn’t feel like a thriller, it wasn’t the book I was expecting and it just wasn’t for me.
Minnie
Apr 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing
YES!! Just the domestic thriller I was looking for

This book is described as 'emotional and suspenseful' and that is SPOT ON! Carne has drawn such wonderfully textured and intriguing characters. They all have their fair share of secrets and I was constantly on tenterhooks waiting for them to be revealed. Bravo for a brilliant piece of domestic suspense.
Lost Vegas
Mar 15, 2021 rated it did not like it
Shelves: netgalley
This was a real surprise as a book. It wasn’t really a thriller and there was really no mystery. Very very odd.
Morgan Schulman

• Bring Him Home
  • A Visitor's Guide to Victorian England
  • The Secret Sister
  • The Best of Friends
  • Last Place You Look (Butler & West #1)
  • My Little Girl
  • Bletchley's Secret Source: The Wrens and the Y-Service in World War II
  • The Serial Killer’s Wife
  • London and the Seventeenth Century: The Making of the World's Greatest City

News & Interviews

Psychological thrillers that will leave your head spinning. Cold cases, detectives hot on a trail, unreliable narrators, and a dash of poison...