Start by marking “Superman: Shadows Linger” as Want to Read:
Superman: Shadows Linger

Superman: Shadows Linger

(Superman by Kurt Busiek #Superman, #671-675)

The nefarious Insect Queen debuts and not only troubles the Man of Steel with a full-scale bug attack on Metropolis, but also develops strange ties to Clark Kent's high school sweetheart Lana Lang! Wrapping up all-star writer Kurt Busiek's run on SUPERMAN, this volume also includes a galactic prelude to TRINITY.

Kurt Busiek is the acclaimed author of DC'S 2008 weekly series
Published January 27th 2009 by DC Comics (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Superman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Superman

Start your review of Superman: Shadows Linger
Jesse A
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
The first story "Insect Queen" was pretty bad. The second "Shadows Linger" was significantly better but still a poor volume overall.
Mouse
Mar 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
So this book has it's problems and is by far...far from perfect! But here's why I gave it 4 stars. First let's skip past the first story of the insect queen because that was pretty whack! The second...and title story 'Shadows Linger' is all about Daxamite High Priests coming to Earth acting all high and mighty with a chip on their shoulder and they want the hero Mon-El that Superman has currently hidden away in the Phantom Zone for his own good-to keep him from dying due to lead poisoning.

In thi
Kyle
Sep 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dcu

The Lana/giant bug story is one of the worst Superman stories ever committed to the page. However, the second story in this volume, "Shadows Linger", is actually pretty good, and is an important story in the timeline, as it is part of the Mon-el story-arc. Artwork is nice, but skip the first two-thirds of this collection. Seriously, that bug story should be deleted and forgotten!
Lizz
Mar 06, 2017 rated it liked it
SUPERMAN BUILDS A LIBRARY.
May 27, 2017 rated it liked it
I picked up this comic after a patron returned it to the library. I've been reading a lot of Batman lately, and I was wanting something to break up the gloom that often comes with the Dark Knight. The summary on the back of the book caught my interest, so I decided to give it a try. And, while I can't say this is a must-read graphic novel, it was perfectly enjoyable. The action didn't particularly stand out--it was pretty run-of-the-mill superhero conflict. (Giant bugs, invaders, etc.) But what ...more
Ashe Catlin
May 27, 2019 rated it liked it
I was a little disappointed by this it had a great set up with the insect queen, it had a very good set up and even a reason why she wasn’t easy for Superman to take out. Then suddenly book next story, what? Basically the best bit of this is crammed into 3 issues which is such a shame as at least half of it is set up. So feels like it’s a rush to the finish line, for some reason they have another story in this as well which cover this guy that can have the same powers as you. That one suffers fo ...more
Michael
Mar 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: loeg-archives
Nothing terribly bad, but nothing very exciting either. I have to really think about it to remember much of what happened, and I just read the book yesterday. The Insect Queen just never felt very threatening, and the Superman doing silly charity stunts was a little corny, but the story had some nice bits. I disliked the convenience of Lana stumbling into LexCorp's secret salvation, and I'm still not sure how Superman can zap himself internally with heat vision.

The second arc, with Paragon and t
Nate
Sep 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Outside of Marvels, which I think is an absolute classic, I didn't know much about Busiek's work. I'd never read Astro City or anything he did for DC. Overall, this didn't thrill me. The artwork is fine but the challenge of any Superman story is pushing back against power creep that has made the character indestructible and omnipotent. In that regard this is a failure but at the same time the personal relationships with Lana Lang and Louis Lane elevate the collection even if a lack of a "previou ...more
David Allison
Jan 15, 2018 rated it liked it
People seem to hate that insect queen story huh?

It wasn't great - horny insect ladies in sci-fi are more of a drag than a buzz - but I enjoyed Lana Lang's role in the plot and the bit with the baseball was pure superhero comics.

The art's all over the place in the back half of the book and the absence of a distinct tone hurts the feeling of this collection, but there are a couple of details that indicate that those involved know something about how a Superman story should play out and that was en
Robert Bussie
May 16, 2017 rated it liked it
There are two average Superman stories in this trade paper back. The second story is more fleshed out than the first one, however I preferred the art in the first story.

Both stories seemed rush and could have been more developed. The emotional parts with Superman's adopted son adds a bit of an extra human element to the stories, but seem like an after thought. Overall, a fun but shallow read with good art work.
Lisa
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
The first Superman comic I've ever read and I really enjoyed it! Great art work and good story lines too.
A.L.
Jun 12, 2009 rated it liked it
"Shadows Linger" is a collection of two stories from the Superman comic book "Insect Queen," and "Shadows Linger," #671-675.

Award-winning comic scribe (and veteran of the industry) Kurt Busiek is perfect for writing Superman because of his love for classic superhero stories. The Clark Kent and Lois Lane of Busiek's stories are the true-blue characters we grew up reading, with slightly modern innovations. This is important to mention because the current trend in American superhero stories is to b
Dean
Aug 07, 2014 rated it liked it
I actually quite enjoyed this collection. As said before, contains two separate stories, both by Kurt Busiek. The art in both stories was fine, but a little bland for me. Nice enough, just lacking that something. In the first story arc Busiek tries to breathe some realism and menace into a very corny villain, Insect Queen, and he does a fair job. The second Mon-El story is also not bad, and actually good fun.

The collection has no extras beyond including the original covers and an alternate one,
Nicolas
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Good, not great. I enjoyed the "Shadows Linger" segment, but was indifferent to the whole Lana and the Bug-People part. A lot of good Superman/Clark stuff, but I really can't stand Chris Kent. It just doesn't work.
Hannah Givens
Dec 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Four stars for the extra end stories -- and Chris Kent!
Shannon Appelcline
Jul 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, comics-dc
A fair Insect Queen story and a pretty good story about Mon-El.
Simon
Aug 23, 2014 rated it did not like it
Well, at least this was short?

But it's the first time I've ever wanted to be able to give something zero stars. Because seriously? This was wretched.
James
Oct 29, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009, graphic-novels
A graphic containing two separate, distinct Superman stories. Busiek's a good writer and the stories flow nicely. They are entertaining enough, but nothing extraordinary.
John Yelverton
Aug 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a very unique story line to say the least, but it's carried off with the usual panache you've come to expect from a Superman story.
Siggy97
Phillip Cash
rated it it was ok
Jul 20, 2016
L4wngnome
rated it did not like it
Oct 09, 2016

• Wonder Woman, Volume 1: The Lies
  • Batman Versus Bane
  • Doctor Strange, Vol. 3: Blood in the Aether
  • Suicide Squad, Volume 1: Kicked in the Teeth
  • Fire Warrior (Warhammer 40,000)
  • Saban's Go Go Power Rangers, Vol. 4
  • Batman: Death and the Maidens
  • All-New Wolverine, Volume 2: Civil War II
  • X-23, Vol. 2: X-Assassin
Kurt Busiek is an American comic book writer notable for his work on the Marvels limited series, his own title Astro City, and his four-year run on Avengers.

Busiek did not read comics as a youngster, as his parents disapproved of them. He began to read them regularly around the age of 14, when he picked up a copy of Daredevil #120. This was the first part of a continuity-heavy four-part story arc;

Superman by Kurt Busiek (9 books)
  • Superman: Up, Up, and Away!
  • Superman: Back in Action
  • Superman: Camelot Falls, Vol. 1
  • Superman: Camelot Falls, Vol. 2: The Weight of the World
  • Superman: The Third Kryptonian
  • Superman: Redemption
  • Superman: 3-2-1 Action!
  • Superman: Secret Identity