Jump to ratings and reviews

Black Canvas

"A story of mystery and intrigue weaved together with prose so delectable, so sublime. A must-read. A masterpiece. A thrill."
Eleanor Lloyd-Jones

“I dream of waking up and being someone else—my hair, my eyes, even my voice, completely different—and each time I go to the mirror to check my reflection, to see what I look like, I’m her. Every time. Her. It’s her reflection that stares back at me, but I’m the one who controls it. I’m in control, and that’s exactly why it feels so good. I control her and what happens to me; I control both lives—mine and hers—and I have what I want the most: her looks, her status, her marriage. There’s nothing left of me, and only I know the secret. Only I know it’s me inside, it’s me under that perfect porcelain skin, it’s me behind those sweet, smart deep brown eyes.
And I have him. He’s mine—just mine now. I’m not the other woman anymore. I’m everything he needs."

First published February 14, 2021

29 books174 followers

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
1 (<1%)
1 star
2 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 116 reviews
Profile Image for Shabby  -BookBistroBlog.
1,402 reviews737 followers
February 12, 2021
Astonishing is a word too inadequate for this Staggering story full of twists and turns that come from the left and right and some well placed blind spots!!
What a journey Rossi takes us through the portals of human mind. Complexities hiding in the deep dark tunnels, ghosts of traumas past lying low in Abysmal caverns, just waiting to emerge and take control of the brain.

"Every person in here has a story. Some have multiple stories, depending on the day. At times, it’s hard to tell what is true and what is just the patient’s imagination, but every story, every lie means something. They are built by our minds for a reason."

Thoroughly Well researched and meticulous in detail, it's an eye opener and a Mindfuck at the same time. It begins with a girl dead and her psychologist in turmoil and it ends on the exact same note.
The story in between goes through a whole gamut of incidents of a failed marriage, distrustful relationship, Devious secrets of spouses, personality depreciations and when you think you've had just about enough, shots get fired right through the center of everything you believed was true and shatters it all to smithereens.

description

"When the suffering, the trauma, is too much to bear, our minds try to save us from the despair and the pain. It’s like turning down a system, going into safe mode, where only essential, vital operations are needed: breathe, blink, swallow, sit down, stand. No interaction with anyone, no thinking back either… Just emptiness and examining the world with cold, unemotional eyes."

The character of Doctor Aria De Luca: psychiatrist, forensic psychiatrist and police consultant, is multiplexed & Multilayered. She's astute, clever, professional but somewhat vulnerable, somewhat restrained. Her struggle between her façade and her ache for freedom is poignant and perturbing.

description

"A woman alone, just her and her dog, prisoner of a new case, her mind filled with words and stories from her patients, chaos loud in her head."

Max is an enigmatic figure who is the gigantic puppet master. His presence looms large, towering over the entire story. Almost omnipotent, his power over the women in the story is absolute.

“Once you are in, you are in. Once you say yes, it’s yes,”

description

Lilian, Aria, Vittoria, Ivy, Claudia and many many more are all contenders of his favours and graces.
Mattias Morgan is a painter who sees emotions trapped inside the human bodies and sketches them on the canvas in all its glory. Judgment. Morals. Chaos

“Not all stories are told with words. If you listen close enough, silence can be just as revealing. It’s not what we say but what we don’t say that hurts us the most.”

description

And then there's the Hero/Anti-hero of the book, black with silver threads, a transformer, liberator, unleasher of pent up desires...THE MASK!

“Can you say that of other people in your life, Aria? Who know who you are, what you are and stayed beside you through it all? I’m your conscience. I’m the mask that helps you cover everything up. You are yourself with me, and I protect you when you do.”

I can't say much but I have to say this- If you're looking for a riveting psychological thriller, that will set your pulse racing and have you questioning your eyes and brain, then this book is just right for you. Unbelievably labyrinthine like a multiplex with number of doors and windows that let the doubts in, speechlessness will be the singular emotion you'll be left with at the end.
5 stars for Tricked By Love
Email🌻 Bookbub 🌻 Twitter🌻 Instagram🌻 Blog🌻 Facebook🌻 Amazon 🌻
Profile Image for Danielle's.
Author 1 book139 followers
April 21, 2021
I’d read anything by this author. Black Canvas had me intrigued right from the title. It’s laced with mystery and suspense. I didn’t know what to expect going into this and it didn’t disappoint. I’ve watched films in the psychology genre but this is probably my first book. It’s a gritty read that had me guessing all the way through.

Available on KU.
Profile Image for Louise.
426 reviews16 followers
January 30, 2021
When I first happened upon this book, I really didn’t know what to expect. Having read this author’s previous work I really was expecting romance. This was not what I got, but in the best possible way. No, it turned into something a whole heap more.

I’m not a big psychological thriller fan, I like suspense but it’s usually got to have romance in it for me to really take. However this didn’t have any romance in it but nonetheless was still a freaking great story.

It was fresh, intriguing, dark. It was thought provoking, it was tense. It was sick & twisted & everything I didn’t know I wanted but everything I needed.

I mean, I sort of guessed who the people were but I was still shocked. The storyline kept me hooked from beginning to end and the only reason I didn’t finish sooner was because adulting got in the way.

I’m in love with this book! I have read books that have gripped me from beginning to end and this one will certainly go into that category.

This author can certainly write thrillers. It’s like she said, “screw it, let’s see which rabbit hole we’ll fall down next,” and came up with brilliance.

High praise and 5 very deserved stars!
Profile Image for Shelly Reynolds.
667 reviews15 followers
February 12, 2021
"We should be warned to never trust, or trust all and take the risk. It's never safe, whether with a stranger or not. They should tell us that. Someone should warn us."

Have you ever read a book, that when you reach the end and close the cover, it just.......stays with you? That no matter what you have going on in your day, it's always sniggling at the back of your mind? Well, this book is the epitome of that for me. Not only could I not put it down, but once I finished, it was still there - invading my thoughts, calling out to me to pick it up and read it again, and again, and again.

The plot is twisted and dark and by the end, you'll question everything you just read. The Epilogue will blow you away!

One of the characters describes the black on the canvas as the chaos around us, and somewhere in there is our light, the person we truly are or want to be, if we choose to see it. I wonder sometimes if we have all stopped looking.

Our main character, Aria, has struggled with the suicide of a patient as well as the divorce from her husband, necessitating a leave of absence. Thinking it's now time to get back to work, Aria agrees to consult with police on a murder case, and soon finds herself in the cross-hairs of a sensual cult and its mysterious leader, Max. She goes down a path of betrayal, darkness, and obsession. What she discovers will shake her to her core.

The mysterious question left for Aria of "Who do you think you are?" is something I think we all ask ourselves from time to time. What defines us? Do we change depending on with whom we are interacting? Is there really a "true self"? How many masks do we wear?

This was a brilliant thriller and one I won't soon forget! If you love dark, twisted, mind-splintering, psychological thrillers, this one needs to be on the top of your list!

Profile Image for Alison.
457 reviews25 followers
February 12, 2021
5 Excellently Written, Mind Tricking Stars!!!

I was given this book in turn for an honest review.

You are in for one mysterious, dark ride with this story, if you were not crazy already, you might feel it after reading Black Canvas. As Aria says, “Aren’t we all a little crazy?’’

Laura Rossi has shown the true darkness of mental instability, she has written a powerful, crazy, mind trickery of a story. So compelling, you cannot stop thinking about it. Each time you put it down, to relieve the brain for a little while, you feel compelled to pick it up again, to read more and work out what Aria is telling us and where her story is going.

Laura Rossi pulls you in, has your curiosity piqued and hitting you with twist after twist, turn after turn, that has you questioning everything again and again. At times I started to feel crazier than I normally feel, the more and more I read. This story is so complex and so well written, it feels like your mind is starting to live the psychological story to try and untangle what is being told. Black Canvas is not the type of story I can sit and read in one sitting, I had to keep putting it down, to let my brain think on the story I was reading, it played in my head constantly deciphering the clues, and yet, I also found I could not wait to pick it back up again and continuing reading.

This psychological Thriller is not a book you can truly ever prepare for, but it is also a story you need to read! Seriously, if you love a story that plays with your mind, is hard to decipher, but does not fail to keep you reading, Black Canvas is for you!
Profile Image for Wonder Tre Reads -Tre Talbot.
1,200 reviews24 followers
April 14, 2022
Mind blown! From the prologue I was intrigued by Aria, learning the career this woman has pulled me in right away. As the story develops and we learn more and more about Ivy and will have your mind is going rapid right alongside Aria trying to find out why things happened the way they did. Mattias, the artist and neighbor is always there for Aria when she needs someone to talk to. This man can see deep within you. Then there’s Liliana, this woman is full of mystery and knows much more then she lets on.
This author knows how to paint a picture for your minds eye so vividly that you loose yourself in the words, you loose track of time as your reading because you cannot put the book down and that’s perfectly fine with me. The twist and turns will have your jaw dropped. This is without a doubt a must read that needs to be at the top of your TBR list.

The Audiobook is just as captivating as reading the story the first time. The narration brings each individual character to life more then I ever thought could be, the emotions are expressed with passion and you can just relax as listen as the story unfolds.
262 reviews5 followers
February 2, 2021
A brilliantly twisted Psychological thriller, that had me riveted to the pages of this mind blowing story... It’s a story that once you start it, you can’t put it down!!! 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
730 reviews5 followers
February 8, 2021
I was completely mistaken as to what I thought was going to happen in Laura Rossi’s brilliant new book, “Black Canvas.” I chose a quiet afternoon to start reading as I didn’t want to be interrupted. I knew Ms. Rossi’s writing to be creative and compelling and her words needed to be read carefully so as not to miss any subtle nuances that may creep into the story without warning. I realized that what I thought was happening may not be true! My emotions ran from shock to confusion and the characters ended up surprising me with every page that I turned. My mind had a hard time keeping track of the many details that surrounded each of the characters. As soon as I thought I knew how the book would end, I was met with another set of facts that led me in a different direction.

“Black Canvas'' is an intricately woven story of deception, secrets, and page-turning mind games. It showed me how the mind can control everything we do and also who we become. Ms. Rossi has given us a gripping tale so thought-provoking and riveting that I couldn’t put it down. I kept re-reading passages to make sure I understood what was happening with each character. Their lives were connected by indiscretions, manipulation and danger. Did I really even know what to believe, or who was telling the truth? When I got to the end I shook my head in disbelief! What an amazing book by a dynamic young author.
63 reviews15 followers
February 11, 2021
I was given an ARC of Black Canvas in exchange fior an honest review. This book by Laura Rossi was unlike any of her other books but I loved it. Lots of secrets and twisted minds in this psychological thriller kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time. I started to piece little things together but ultimately there were so many unexpected surprises to unfold. Bravo Laura - this book was amazing.
Profile Image for Laura Lee.
940 reviews149 followers
February 2, 2021
A psychological thriller that kept me engaged right from the get go! I was beginning to question myself while reading this one.
Great job Laura Rossi! Locking you up during covid certainly paid off. How you wove this story, kept me guessing until the very end.
Profile Image for Eileen (Bangor Belles) Robinson.
1,074 reviews25 followers
February 12, 2021
This is definitely one of those books, that you can't decide whether to read or not.
It's a dark and twisted tale, its full of suspense, lies, deceit, obsession, and so many twists and smoke screens that leave you not knowing which way is up or down.
It's most definitely not your typical romance, is it about Love? or is it about where love gone wrong can take you? Possibly, its superbly written to keep you on edge and mentally engaged on what's possibly going to come next. It will screw with your mind and your emotions !!
It's a story that unweaves and each step pulls you further into the twisted web!
I can honestly say that this author most definitely keeps you on your toes, and gives you a book you do not expect, dark and intriguing, but also quickly becomes everything you want and more !!

As i said it might be a book you aren't sure about picking up, BUT You should pick it up !!!!
It's a book i most definitely will not forget and i book i would highly praise and recommend !!
Profile Image for Carolann Evans.
67 reviews5 followers
February 14, 2021
This story will challenge your brain on a whole new level. Just when you think you have the plot figured out, your assumptions are shot down in flames. I was forever changing my mind on who was killing these young women. Then when you realise who it is and exactly what is happening and it’s something that you really didn’t see coming, you are like WTF!!!

Definitely a must read and yet again a totally different story Mrs Rossi.
Profile Image for K.M. Lowe.
Author 33 books587 followers
February 21, 2021
Black Canvas is a twisted tale from the get go. It keeps you guessing, wondering what will happen next. While I guessed early on who Max was and what was going on with Aria it didn't take anything away from the plot, because the story unfolds piece by piece behind the main characters, secrets are unfolded, and the ending leaves you on the edge of your seat.
Miss Rossi has a twisted way of concocting stories that leaves you hanging by a thread.
Profile Image for StinaA.
666 reviews4 followers
June 30, 2021
It's a slow start to the story...but yet it kept me intrigued. Black Canvas is such a masterfully creation, with so many secrets and twist happening, you just pray you can keep up.

"I feel different when I wear it. My fears and my doubts vanish, and I'm free to be and act as I please. Everyone sees the mask; nobody knows the person."

Halfway through the story, I thought I knew what was going on...If I only knew! At some point, I was like, WTF, Rossi??

"Have you ever had a secret so dark, so sinful, you can't say it out loud? You can't even begin to think of saying it out loud? Something so horrendous and tempting at the same time, you find yourself in constant battle with yourself, your judgment?"

Reading that ending..with that epilog...wow!! I was all smiles and so warm inside..so f'ing perfect!

"Can a heartbeat hurt? Can the truth drive you insane? I feel it explode inside me, leaving me nowhere to run or hide or pretend. Like lightning hitting every part of me, opening my eyes on the world."

Rossi has a very unique way of telling her character's stories. She is amazing at giving her story and characters depth and strength, it's so great to read!
316 reviews7 followers
February 14, 2021
A brilliant psychological thriller!

There were so many questions buzzing around in my head as I read this story. The main one being, Who is Max?
Is it him or him or maybe him? Or someone else completely?
My mind was spinning at one point, I just had to keep reading this gripping story.
This is such a different writing style to usual for Laura, but I absolutely loved it and would love to see more like it! Highly recommended!
Profile Image for Lou.
323 reviews3 followers
March 1, 2021
I finished reading Black Canvas a week ago and it has taken a few days to organise my thoughts and feeling into coherent sentences for this review.
Black Canvas is dark and twisted from the beginning. This book will play with your mind, it will have you guessing and questioning what you read, it might even make you question your own level crazy too.
I found that Laura Rossi’s writing style captured my attention from the beginning and held it until the very end. Even the times when I had to put the book down, I found I was still thinking about Aria, Ivy, Max, Mattias, Gabriele, Lilliana, and Claudia. I was constantly trying to piece everything together, trying to guess what was coming next.
I managed to work out the link between Aria and Ivy, as well as the link between Gabriele and Max too, but I did not quite have the reason that linked them to each other. I did not know for certain if I was right until later in the book, so there were still times when I questioned my own thoughts.
Black Canvas shows a whole new level of twisted darkness that is inside Laura’s mind! I thoroughly enjoyed reading this story and gaining an insight into that darkness. I hope that this is not a one-off, I would love to see more dark twisted stories from this incredibly talented author.
I do not think that my review of Black Canvas will ever do the book the justice it deserves without giving away too much of the story.
That said…
If you like psychological thrillers that are dark and twisted, then I honestly think that you will enjoy reading Black Canvas and becoming immersed in Aria’s disturbing world.
Profile Image for LianaReads blog.
2,124 reviews169 followers
February 16, 2021
Most of all, I didn’t expect that ending and that made me get goosebumps and made this book a must read and a five stars one.
Profile Image for Clayr Catherall.
1,166 reviews83 followers
February 16, 2021
Mind blowing! I think Aria says, aren’t we all a little crazy? Well I was while reading this psychological thriller. It drew me in from the start and held me prisoner till the very last page. When I wasn’t reading I was thinking about this story. Even now I’m thinking of this story.....It was fantastic!
Profile Image for Toya Richardson.
Author 26 books196 followers
January 31, 2021
I’ve read Laura’s work before, but her psychological thriller is a new genre to me. This story has so many twists and turns, you need to stay focused all the way through. The beginning confused me a little, but you need to keep going to find out how good this story is. I kind of figured out a part of the story early on, but it no way spoils the plot.
She weaves a very intricate storyline and lovers of this genre will be enthralled by it. Very well written, as all her stories are.
Profile Image for ilariasbooks.
252 reviews5 followers
June 22, 2022
Il thriller psicologico di @laurarossiauthor, edito da @nuaedizioni che ringrazio per la collaborazione, ci conduce per le strade di Milano che non è mai stata così oscura e nel labirinto della mente di una protagonista fragile ma determinata.
La dott.ssa Aria De Luca è una donna intelligente, grande professionista, decisa e astuta ma piena di fragilità, dubbi, emozioni ambivalenti che la portano a dubitare anche di sé stessa.
La morte della sua paziente Ivy, l'ha portata sull'orlo del baratro ma il nuovo caso le dà la spinta per rientrare al suo amato lavoro e riprendere in mano la sua vita.
Ma presto conoscerà la verità misteriosa, cupa e subdola di Max, uomo potente e ingannatote...
Il romanzo gioca tutto sulle donne: Ivy, Liliana, Aria, Claudia e Vittoria sulle loro passioni, emozioni, giochi di potere e seduzione. Ma anche sui loro desideri e paure, in un mondo fatto di sopraffazione e giochi perversi.
La maschera, nera con fili d'argento, appartenuta ad Ivy, diventa l'oggetto dietro al quale ognuno di noi può essere libero, scevro da condizionamenti, tabù... Ognuno può essere chi vuole.
Scrittura scorrevole, ricca di suspence e introspezione rende la storia avvincente e piena di spunti di riflessione.
Una Milano by night dove esistono mondi oscuri, dove il sesso è una merce di scambio, dove le persone seducono e vengono sedotte... Fino al colpo di scena finale.
Profile Image for Meghana Sarathy.
Author 9 books196 followers
February 20, 2021
What a start to 2021! This book was so sinfully and deliciously crazy - just the way I love it! The author was new to me, but I am so glad that I gave this book a shot. It’s exactly the kind of books I love to devour and this had me glued to the pages, especially the last 40%. Saying anything at all about the story would be revealing a potential spoiler. All I can say is to best go in blind.

This book might not be for all, but for the ones that enjoy dark psychological thrillers and don’t mind pushing their limits and boundaries, it’ll be an absolute delight. It did take little time for me to get into the story and familiarise myself with the characters. Once I had gotten comfortable with the premise, it was a smooth ride. There are lot of twists and turns, and though I was able to guess few key elements, the complete picture took me by a shock, and in a very evil and conceited way, I liked it. The ending especially is so befitting. I can totally see it play as a motion picture with vibes and tone similar to the girl on the train, but a very unique and ‘deep’ story. I wouldn’t go as far as calling this book perfect as there were some details missing and few stuff glossed over, and I also have some confusion with the timeline, but these small things doesn’t deter it from being a thoroughly enjoyable read. I especially love the meticulous planning of the author and how she wove ‘multiple’ perspectives so seamlessly. I also loved the dialogues especially between Iva’s. Her musings, introspection snd discussions around people’s identities and the masks they wear are brilliant and will really leave us reeling. Overall this book was a totally winner and definitely worth reading!
Profile Image for buzy_reading.
2,096 reviews39 followers
February 16, 2021
Black Canvas is about control. How some individuals take control and others relinquish control. The concept brewed from obsession. Wanting someone else’s perfect life. Doing what was within her power to gain control and obtain that life for herself.
On the streets of Milan a woman is found wandering half naked. She’s roaming in a state of confusion. She was brought to the hospital by Detective Pietro Scalia.
Doctor Aria De Luca is a psychiatrist, forensic psychiatrist and police consultant.
The inner dialogue thoughts of Aria is a narrative that helps develop her state of mind. Each time these thoughts appear the reader gains more insights into the fragility of Aria’s past. Aria’s character is split into four individuals. She’s a police consultant helping investigate a case regarding a girl brought to the hospital. She’s also a psychiatrist who conducts therapy sessions trying to help others while struggling to help herself. She was also a student studying psychology in a psyche hospital where she mentored with Gabriele. Then she’s herself as Aria the woman who divorced her husband.
Doctor Gabriele Grimaldi works in a psychiatric hospital. He is Aria’s ex-husband.

Laura had some tricks up her sleeve that I never saw coming. This is my first read by Laura Rossi but certainly not my last. If her other books are written this well then I’ll be binge reading her backlist. Laura lives in Italy speaking both English and Italian. She writes in English with a few Italian words here and there.
This is the type of book where the reader will want to devour every written word. Laura writes this book in a way that allows the reader to imagine different scenarios as the words play out. Although Laura is still in complete control of the direction it doesn’t stop the readers mind from conjuring up possibilities of your own hoping to beat Laura at her own game. It’s a game of who will reveal their true self first.
Profile Image for K.L. Jessop.
Author 12 books293 followers
February 14, 2021
"Whoa!" That was the exact word I said after I finished reading this masterpiece.

Thrillers are not my usual genre, add that with a psychological one and I already knew my mind would be challenged whilst reading this story, and in the beginning, I did struggle a little at finding the flow of the book but put that down to the genre being new to me. However, I'm so glad I jumped out of my comforts zone and continued to read because Black Canvas is one of the biggest rides I've been on.

I cannot express how mind blowing this book is. Not only did I find myself glued to this story, but my mind was also racing with trying to work out the who, what, when, where and why. And just when I thought I'd figured something out, Rossi puts out another magnificent twist once again.

Black Canvas is by far one of the best books I have read in a long time and Rossi is pure genius with her words.

100% MUST READ!
Profile Image for Leanne.
534 reviews45 followers
February 20, 2021
Wowsers, I was not expecting that! This is a definite 180 turn around from the usual work of this author and I have to say, it really suits her!
In a typical psychological thriller style you will be tossed and turned and find yourself furrowing that brow throughout the story.

I thoroughly enjoyed every single one of the characters and the author did a fabulous job of making each and every emotion and turmoil really stand out.

A must read for those of you who like a bit of suspense and intrigue in your fiction.
Profile Image for Joanna Justice.
276 reviews9 followers
March 13, 2021
I’m going to be thinking about this one for a while!

This is a new to me author, and I thoroughly enjoyed this complex psychological thriller. The main character is Dr. Aria DeLuca, a psychologist specializing in victims of abuse. Aria takes a leave from work after losing a patient and a divorce from her husband, but she gets called back in by a detective who holds her in high regard. There are many side characters that come into play throughout the story that will leave you questioning everything. The writing style is unique and I was shocked by the plot twists and turns. This is an interesting look at the labyrinth of the mind.
Profile Image for BookNest Moments.
67 reviews2 followers
February 14, 2021
The best book I read in 2021 so far.

It's captivatig, twisted, mind blowing, and beautifully written.

The slow beginning eased me into the story and kept me intrigued.
I could guess who is who, but some of the plot twists gave me a 180°.

You made me believe for a moment that he tried to gaslight her.
The ending... 👌 *chef's kiss*

Very nice job, Rossi!
Thank you.
Profile Image for LianaReads.
44 reviews
Mind blowing story

I’m a big fan of psychological thrillers and this story was just a mind blowing one. I thought I had it all sorted and knew what’s going to come up but all my theories were demolished one by one with each chapter and each new turn of the story.
Profile Image for Audrey.
223 reviews
February 21, 2021
I rarely read psychological thriller..
I thought I figured it out at the beginning, but I was wrong!

BOMB!! Bravo..Laura Rossi!!
Profile Image for Darcia Helle.
Author 30 books691 followers
November 7, 2021
Black Canvas is a slow burn kind of madness that kept me off balance and flipped me upside down in the end.

This story gives us an intricate plot full of subtleties, and complex, fascinating characters who feel real.

A perfect read if you’re looking for something chilling and a little naughty.
Profile Image for Susan.
1,036 reviews16 followers
February 26, 2021
Twisted Perfection.

Black Canvas was thrilling, twisted and terrifying. It was one of those books that immediately lured me in. From the moment I saw the cover and blurb I knew I had to read it. All I can say is that it truly is a masterpiece of writing with fascinating complex characters that really get under your skin.

From the intriguing prologue to the spine chilling epilogue my brain never switched off, the cogs kept turning and my mind kept spinning.
This story will have you questioning everything and everyone as you try to piece together the multi layered plot.
There are plenty of clever diversions to throw you off kilter, so that everything you think you know you're probably wrong.

I can't recommend this book enough, I absolutely Loved It. It's the must read psychological thriller for 2021.

Bravo Laura Rossi.👏👏👏

Displaying 1 - 30 of 116 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.