Start by marking “An Offer From a Gentleman (Bridgertons, #3)” as Want to Read:
An Offer From a Gentleman (Bridgertons, #3)

An Offer From a Gentleman

(Bridgertons #3)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  96,311 ratings  ·  7,286 reviews
Will she accept the offer before the clock strikes midnight?

Sophie Beckett never dreamed she'd be able to sneak into Lady Bridgerton's famed masquerade ball. Though the daughter of an earl, Sophie has been relegated to the role of servant by her disdainful stepmother. But now, waltzing in the strong arms of the debonair and devastatingly handsome Benedict Bridgerton, she f
Published February 11th 2021 by Piatkus (first published July 1st 2001)

·  96,311 ratings  ·  7,286 reviews

Start your review of An Offer From a Gentleman (Bridgertons, #3)
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

*Unpopular opinion ahead!!!*

I have one thing to say: SCREW YOU, BENEDICT BRIDGERTON!

I'll be the first to admit that I was really, really enjoying this story at the start. I mean, I adore Rosalyn Landor, who is a narrating queen, and I like Julia Quinn, who is very consistent for me. However, as I moved further and further along in the story, I realized that I wanted to punch Benedict in the face... hard.

Benedict treats Sophie like utter trash. He blackmails her to either become his mistress
chan ☆
perfectly fine

which sounds boring, and in truth this book kind of was as well. not boring in the sense that the story was overly dull or drawn out, but in the way that your average run of the mill historical can be.

this book was based on Cinderella and while i initially loathed the idea, it turned out to be a fun retelling. i think the main reason that this story isn't more than 3 star for me though is the lack of relationship development. we get a lot of sophie in her own head and a lot of her
Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession
4.5 Love at first sight Stars

Going into An offer from a Gentleman I was a bit worried. I had a friend tell me that Benedict (the hero) ask Sophie (the heroine) to be his mistress over and over for most of the book. That he went on about how she wasn't of his class. She had told me it ruined the read for her. I hate that mistress bullshit in books. It's one of the reasons I avoided most historical romance novels for years. I hate cheating! A mistress is just a side chick, that wasn't good eno
Katerina
Hi, my name is Katerina and I am addicted to Bridgertons.

I've been dreaming of balls, banquets and gowns since I was a little girl, historical romance is my sanctuary from the small and big disappointments of daily life (i.e. work - read - sleep - repeat), and during 2018 I've written more 3star reviews than my entire life.
I would appreciate some help.

Thank you.
“In her heart she longed for this man, dreamed of a life that could never be.”

Now, before I start rambling on the wonderful
Jessica
It's official. Benedict is my favorite Bridgerton. So far. From the start, I absolutely adored this book and how it was a Cinderella retelling. My heart went out to Sophie because she's a bastard child and was never really treated well. Then, her father passed away, and she was basically a slave for her awful step mother. One night, her fellow servants dress her up and send her to a ball, where she has an amazing time dancing the night away with Benedict. I really loved Benedict and how he alway ...more
Warda
My favourite in the series so far!
What can I say? I binged it in a day and it made me unbelievably happy.
Jacob Proffitt
Oct 22, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: steamy, audiobook, romance
This is third in the Bridgertons series. Couples from the first two show up and some events are referenced and there are definite winks at those who have read the others. In all, I recommend reading these in order.

Normally, I'd snark about skipping this one because it sucks, but I'm a definite outlier in that opinion. Most of my GR friends rated this very high so you might want to take this review with a grain of salt. Or more. I'll admit that I'm relieved that my problem isn't related to the Ci
Miranda Reads
I feel like I'm getting whiplash looking at the goodreads ratings.

5 stars - 1 star - 3 stars - 1 star - 5 stars

Like... is this good or no?

Update

It was good. Not as good as the first couple, but still decent!

The Written Review

In this Bridgerton book, we follow the second oldest Bridgerton child - Benedict. He's moody, temperamental and above all, in love with a woman he doesn't know.

Sophie Beckett is a Cinderella story through and through. She's the bastard child of an earl and her father places
Christy
Feb 19, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In his heart he’d always believed there was only one perfect woman out there for him.
His heart had been right.
There was only one.

An Offer From a Gentleman is the third Bridgerton book and it's Benedict, the second Bridgerton's book.

Benedict and Sophie meet at a masquerade ball. Benedict is in high society standing, where Sophie is not of the same class. Nothing can ever come from their meeting, but Benedict doesn't know that. He's had the lady from the ball on his mind for
Nadine Jones
I like Julia Quinn, I really do, but this was not her finest moment. Looking back on "Bridgertons" #1 & #2, maybe this just is not her finest series. This book was so ... blah. And the hero was such an ASS. On the plus side, it was nice that the heroine was not from conventional society, she is the bastard daughter of an earl, raised as his ward until his death, at which point she is Cinderella to the evil stepmother and two step-sisters. (She even secretly goes to a ball, meets the hero, and th ...more
Phrynne
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am loving this series and this is my favourite so far! Sophie and Benedict are such charming characters and I loved the banter between the two of them.
The story is a retelling of Cinderella, right down to the wicked step mother, the sisters (not ugly although one has an ugly nature!) and having to leave the ball on the stroke of midnight. I enjoyed every minute of it especially when Araminta gets her just desserts.
The Bridgertons are such a wonderful family it is fun whenever they appear. I am
Anne

Since the Bridgerton books aren't really fairytale-themed, I was sort of surprised when I realized this was a retelling of Cinderella.
I love me some retellings!

description

This was actually the least Bridgerton-y of all of Quinn's Bridgerton books. And I mean that in the very best way. This one didn't have the same formula - and thank god for that!
If you've read these books, you'll more than likely know exactly what I mean. If not and you're curious you can check out my review for book #7 because
Shawna
Re-read/listened to the audiobook version Oct'2018:

5 stars – Historical/Regency Romance

The audiobook narrator was fabulous! Overall, it's still a 5-star read for me, but the heroine's refusal to just tell the hero her secret drove me nuts!

Original Review from Sept'2010:

5+ stars – Historical/Regency Romance

An Offer From a Gentleman might be a Cinderella-like story, but it’s much more than just a fairytale remake. For me, this is the epitome of everything I love about romance and happily ever aft
Naomi
Mar 03, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sam (AMNReader)
Oh, #2 Bridgerton indeed. As in the shit one.

Benedict sucked. Sure he was sentimental. Sweet to his family, but this book about his chase and threat to Sophie's station and life are not what I like in my heroes.

Yet I did not hate reading it so it gets a 2. Which feels appropriate.
Eastofoz
Sep 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Regency romance lovers / Tammy
Excellent! Excellent! Excellent! This is a fantastic read! Quinn’s best so far for me. She has an amazing way to draw you into the story from the first few pages and you’re smiling from the get-go right up to the end :) She even manages to take you on a sudden heart-breaking emotional roller coaster ride that really gives you the chills and makes you want to cry for the h/h as a couple. This contrasts so well with the rest of the light-hearted story making the situation all the more poignant.

Th
Melanie A. *mostly on hiatus*
Feb 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Melanie by: Leila
Audio: 5 STARS!
Story: 4.5 STARS!

Call me crazy, but this is my favorite of the series so far . . . maybe it's because I love Cinderella re-tellings so much, or maybe it's because author JQ didn't push things too far. Whatever the reason, I fell in love with Benedict and Sophie.

Benedict and his hurt man-pride (🙄) felt so true to life, and Sophie and her principles (😊) had me cheering. And Violet has officially proven herself as the best matriarch ever.

Once again, a huge thankyou to Leila for readi
Exina
Absolutely flawless! It is one of my favorites of the series, also got a place of my all-time favorites shelf!

It is a Cinderella story with charming characters, perfect plot and character delineation, twists and turns, adorable and moving romantic scenes, sweet and funny moments.

Although it is based on a fairy tale, the emotions and relationships are presented in a realistic way.

I love Benedict, he is my favorite Bridgerton! He is persevering, sincere, and very romantic. I love his humor, his st
KatieV
Dec 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid 4 stars. My favorite of the series (from what I've read).

Again, I listened to the excellent narration by Rosalyn Landor. No complaints there.

**** SPOILERS ****

This was definitely a Cinderella story. A nod is even given to the slippers Sophie wore to the ball, but with a twist. There was enough angst here to take the story out of Disney territory and into the realm of an adult fairy tale.

Sophie was the unacknowledged daughter of an Earl. The product of his dalliance with a house maid who di
April (Aprilius Maximus)
6.5.) When He Was Wicked: The 2nd Epilogue [ON TBR]
7.)
Erika
Dec 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fairy tale romance readers
Stepback cover

"I can live with you hating me," he said to the closed door. "I just can't live without you"

The Duke and I gave us a sweet romance, The Viscount Who Loved Me gave us a hilarious one, and An Offer From a Gentleman gave us a magical one.

This third book of the series is about love at the first sight that strike you like a thunderbolt and haunt you for the rest of your life. It happens to Benedict Bridgerton when he sees the beauty in silver gown with radiant smile at the Bridgerto
Jen
As much as I enjoyed it, I think this was my least favorite of the series. Sophie’s no Hyacinth and Benedict’s no Colin, not that that’s a necessity, but it felt like the story moved a little slower than some of the other books I’ve read from this series.

Still, my half hearted love for An Offer from a Gentlemen is still stronger than the meh stuff I’ve been reading and when it comes down to it, I just can’t find it in my heart to give any Bridgerton less than 4 stars.
Korrie’s Korner
Julia Quinn has ruined me.

I am floating, and I don’t want to be disturbed. This blissful feeling is what Julia Quinn makes me feel with each book that I finish. Benedict and Sophie were absolutely perfect. Sophie, Being below his station didn’t stop Benedict from knowing exactly what he wanted. An obsession/love sickness that started over two years ago at a masquerade ball, left Benedict completely “love stoned.” Sophie, being there on the downlow because she was a servant and all, added such a
Somia
Jan 07, 2021 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I loved the sound of this book from the blurb, the Cinderella trope is a favourite of mine, but bloody hell Benedict Bridgerton wasn't the hero I was hoping for. He irked me in so many ways:

(view spoiler)
Jan
3.5 stars. I enjoyed this fairly light retelling of Cinderella. I didn't think this kind of book would be my thing, but I found it a quick and easy read. I liked the MCs and hated the wicked stepmother, as you do. Benedict was wonderful, and Sophie had a quiet personal strength that I liked. I did find it a bit hard to swallow that she didn't leave her stepmother's household when she had the opportunity though. If it was really THAT bad, you just wouldn't have stayed, no matter what.

The magical
♥  Sam ♥ ~S2~Im made of awesomness
Whenever reading a Julia Quinn novel, it's always an all nighter for me! Forget the family, forget dinner? The only thing that would get my eyes unglued from the pages, would be a life and death emergency.

An Offer from a Gentleman has characters that are full of spunk and fire. This was the perfect Cinderella story that is tried and true. Except in this Cinderella story she is able to keep her wits about herself and remain practical except when both our hero and Cinderella come in contact with
Zain Otoom
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was adorable, sweet and, specifically the first hundred pages, enchanting.
Melisa
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Update 6/20/19: Just in! Julie Andrews will be the voice of Lady Whistledown in the Netflix series!🙌

If the upcoming Netflix series is going to be even half as good as the books, we are in for a real treat.
Catarina
4,5 Gentle Stars

Benedict (yes, the second brother.) meets a mysterious girl at a masquerade party. They fell in love in one night. Only for her to disappear at midnight to never be heard again.
He looks for her, but he doesn’t find her again and somehow she took his heart with her.

description

Two years later a sassy maid make Benedict heart beat again. Along with an unusual friendship they also fall in love. But not only they are from different social circles (and that was apparently a huge thing in the
♥Sharon♥
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

“It suddenly made sense. Only twice in his life had he felt this inexplicable, almost mystical attraction to a woman. He’d thought it remarkable, to have found two, when in his heart he’d always believed there was only one perfect woman out there for him.

His heart had been right. There was only one.”

I so enjoyed this one! I'm rather smitten with this family. The Bridgertons are quite the bunch. I adore them all!

Benedict and Sophie's story will warm your heart. It did mine. I haven'

• Välkommen till Flanagans (Flanagans, #1)
  • Devil's Bride (Cynster, #1)
  • Slightly Sinful (Bedwyn Saga, #5)
  • Som en öppen bok
  • London's Perfect Scoundrel (Lessons in Love, #2)
  • A Kiss at Midnight (Fairy Tales, #1)
  • My Fake Rake (Union of the Rakes, #1)
  • Bara lite till
  • Blå, blå höstvågor
  • Två hjärtans karameller
  • Med hjärtat som insats
  • The Duchess War (Brothers Sinister, #1)
  • The Raven Prince (Princes Trilogy, #1)
  • Top ten - baby
  • Sikta högt
  • Where Dreams Begin
  • And Then He Kissed Her (Girl Bachelors, #1)
  • Because You're Mine (Capital Theatre, #2)
See top shelves…
#1 New York Times bestselling author Julia Quinn loves to dispel the myth that smart women don't read (or write) romance, and and if you watch reruns of the game show The Weakest Link you might just catch her winning the $79,000 jackpot. She displayed a decided lack of knowledge about baseball, country music, and plush toys, but she is proud to say that she aced all things British and literary, an ...more

Bridgertons (8 books)
  • The Duke and I (Bridgertons, #1)
  • The Viscount Who Loved Me (Bridgertons, #2)
  • Romancing Mister Bridgerton (Bridgertons, #4)
  • To Sir Phillip, With Love (Bridgertons, #5)
  • When He Was Wicked (Bridgertons, #6)
  • It's in His Kiss (Bridgertons, #7)
  • On the Way to the Wedding (Bridgertons, #8)