Start by marking “The Question of Max (A Kate Fansler Mystery #5)” as Want to Read:
The Question of Max (A Kate Fansler Mystery #5)

The Question of Max (A Kate Fansler Mystery #5)

3.56  ·  Rating details ·  249 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
When professor and amateur sleuth Kate Fansler accompanies a fussy friend to the rocky coast of Maine to peruse the papers of a famous, recently deceased author, she is horrified to come across one of her students, dead. Which leads her to one very important question, namely, would Max stoop so low as to murder...?
Mass Market Paperback
Published by Ballantine Books (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about The Question of Max, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Question of Max

Writerlibrarian
Interesting with an ironic twist. I liked it. Très littéraire. Even if the writers that are featured in the book are fictional you kinda want them not be so you can read Dorothy's novel or Cecily's last book. Kate Fansler is still one of the coolest heroine in the mystery genre I know. In this novel, we find Kate trying out "parenting" since her now quite grown up nephew Leo (first seen in the James Joyce Murders) on the verge of college, the moral dilemma of being true to oneself despite the co ...more
Nancy Brady
A twisted literary mystery of a dead college student, but was her death accidental or murder? Literary scholar and amateur sleuth Kate Fansler sets out to find out. Looking into the literary comings-and-goings of author Cecily Hutchins and her friends may help solve this mystery, but her friend Max isn't so happy about her snooping.

What does she discover out, and will her curiosity kill the kitty Kate?

Pamela Mclaren
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
A simple ride by friends to the home of a recently deceased writer becomes definitely more complicated when intrepid literature professor Kate Fansler discovers the body of one of her graduate students.

And Falser, who never seems to do research or teach, is soon like a dog after a bone. There's a mystery afoot and she is after it ... but she is not sure what that is. She can't get the death of the young woman out of her head but she isn't even sure if it is really murder. And then there is somet
Cassandra
Cross does interesting things with pacing; one knows there must be a mystery because, after all, it is a mystery novel. But the early disrupting event (view spoiler) seems not to be a mystery at all, and so the book goes along, showing life in New York City in the mid-70s, with family tangles and literary drama, and then slowly the mystery is revealed -- or is it? The 'question' of the title is very much how the book is, the question o ...more
Margaret
This was a different sort of cozy where we're not sure if there's even been a crime committed - high-brow literary professor Kate Fansler thinks there is and comes up with a scenario. I had read another book by this author (Death in a Tenured Position) with this character and I liked her much better in that - in this story she comes off a little snobby and stuck-up, much like the other main character, Max. Most of the story was not set in Maine unfortunately. This was okay, just didn't grab me m ...more
Sandra
Oct 24, 2015 rated it liked it
I read the first two books in this series many, many years ago. This book was written and 1976 and certainly shows its age. I found four books at a used book sale and thought I would finish them.

I found this one a bit too scholarly/literary/pedantic for my taste.

I was going to read the next book, Sweet Death, Kind Death, but found the plot too similar to this one.

I think I will skip the rest of the series.
Margaret
May 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
An intelligent and educated woman writing about an educated and intelligent woman. I found it a bit slow in the middle and slightly contrived at the end but all in all a book well worth reading if you enjoy literate mysteries.
Kestrell
Jul 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
A really delightful book, my favorite so far in this series (which I am reading out of order). A definite must-read for the sort of bookish female who loves novels set in Oxford, although Kate only visits Oxford briefly in the novel.
Susanna
Mä en kyllä saanut tästä kirjasta mitään irti ja pidin suomennoksen kieltäkin huonona (tiedä sitten millaista se on alkuteoksessa ollut). No, tulipa luettua, jatkossa tosin tämän kirjailijan tuotantoon tuskin tartun.
Pamster
Sep 11, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Why did I read this? I guess because it was a Virago edition and Virago's cool, I rarely read mysteries and thought I'd try it, and the back of the book mentioned that the clues to the mystery were buried "in the lives of leading women novelists and feminists." I dunno.
Andy Plonka
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quite good literary mystery written before the digital age really got going so no dependence on email, computers, cell phones etc.
Cyn Mcdonald
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
2 1/2 stars. Solution was fairly obvious.
JZ
Marie-Anne
Dec 21, 2012
Joyce
Aug 23, 2008
  • Burying Ariel (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #7)
  • A Splash of Red (Jemima Shore, #3)
  • The Sibyl in Her Grave (Hilary Tamar, #4)
  • She Came Back (Miss Silver, #9)
  • Murder Duet (Michael Ohayon, #4)
  • The Long Divorce (Gervase Fen, #8)
  • Mrs. Malory and the Festival Murders
  • A Late Phoenix (Inspector Sloan #4)
  • Past Imperfect (Sigrid Harald, #7)
  • It Had to Be You (Grace & Favor, #5)
1968686
A psuedonym of Carolyn G. Heilbrun.

More about Amanda Cross...

A Kate Fansler Mystery (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • In the Last Analysis (A Kate Fansler Mystery #1)
  • The James Joyce Murder (A Kate Fansler Mystery #2)
  • Poetic Justice (A Kate Fansler Mystery #3)
  • The Theban Mysteries (A Kate Fansler Mystery #4)
  • Death in a Tenured Position (A Kate Fansler Mystery #6)
  • Sweet Death, Kind Death (A Kate Fansler Mystery #7)
  • No Word from Winifred (A Kate Fansler Mystery #8)
  • A Trap for Fools (A Kate Fansler Mystery #9)
  • The Players Come Again (A Kate Fansler Mystery #10)
  • An Imperfect Spy (A Kate Fansler Mystery #11)