Start by marking “Dreams Die First” as Want to Read:
Dreams Die First

Dreams Die First

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  865 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
California in the 1960s is a time of free love and peace on Earth. But the times, they are a'changing, and Gareth Brendan is trying his best to keep up. When his wealthy, powerful uncle gives him control of an underground newspaper, Gareth finds an outlet for all the radical thoughts and ideas he's kept inside. Suddenly, he's the head of an empire of casinos and clubs, mov ...more
Paperback
Published January 27th 1999 by Pocket Books (first published January 1st 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Dreams Die First, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dreams Die First

Kurt Reichenbaugh
Dec 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: hairy-eyeball
A novel as first draft, figure-it-out-as-I-type, plotting by Harold Robbins. It's about a guy who takes over a down and out underground newspaper and turns it into something to rival Playboy and Penthouse. Along the way there are some shady mobsters, a sex cult, gay torturers, drug lords, shootouts, karate kicks, coke snorting, pot smoking, drinking, lots of sex and lots of misogyny. It reads quickly and it's trashy, and there is also a dark streak of cynicism between the lines. The wildest thin ...more
Michelle Only Wants to Read
Oct 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2012

Liked it when I first read it when I was a teenager, loved it now that I'm old enough to understand it.
Debarati
Sep 28, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
I think I had read the novel at the age of 15 or 16 and trust me I was unaware of more half of the american slanks used in the story. But I had a good time reading and Robbin is a great storyteller. One thing about the characters is that you can never hate them inspite of many loopholes.
Dennis Thompson
May 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Was a good book. Could picture it as I read it.
Philip
Apr 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
First read upon publication in 1977 - this book continued the downward spiral of Robbins's novels begun with THE INHERITORS in 1969. Subsequent books would be even worse, with Robbins almost redeeming himself only once, with his next book, MEMORIES OF ANOTHER DAY (1980).

4/24: Not quite as bad as I remember it as being, but then again, I don't remember much about it in the first place - obviously one of HR's more forgettable efforts.

4/26: Upon original publication uch was made of Robbins featurin
Michael
Hell's bells, what a hot mess this potboiler was. With a little research, I discovered it was the sixth bestselling novel of 1979. It was pretty evident that Mr. Robbins could've only made up a plot as preposterous as this by chucking out ideas as he went along. Was this a great ride: no. Was it a fun ride: for the most part. It was certainly never dull, but Robbins is sometimes hit or miss for me. His library is extensive and there's little doubt he was hitting the hardcore drugs later in life. ...more
ana jenneli cortez cortez
Jul 23, 2007 added it
Recommends it for: Everybody
in this book i was able to see how cruel or harsh the world can be...

a rAw aNd pAsSiOnaTe bOok...

Don McNay
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Most Robbins fan's hate this book but I tend to favor as it is loosely based on Larry Flynt and Robbins came to my home town to see Flynt up close.
Curlyhair
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Enjoyed this, way back when I read it.
Conor Rafferty
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Al fin he terminado mi primera novela en el idioma español (aunque sea una traducción). Leí la mayoría en los últimos seis mesas, dado que mi nivel de español no me sirvía hasta para ese entonces. En este tramo, fue fácil mantener mi interés, porque es un libro que no se puede dejar. Había mucho nuevo vocabulario (como p.ej. una palabra en cada página) pero el mismo vocabulario suele aparecer una y otra vez, entonces lo recomiendo como libro por estudiantes del español como lengua extranjero. Gr ...more
Skivvy Jones
Sep 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who drink tequila
Gareth's bisexuality is portrayed so casually. It reminded me of Fassbinder's Fox and his Friends. Robbins is a master storyteller. It is not the best Harold Robbins but is still 80% better than most works in this genre. Psychedelic pulp with one quite nasty S & M scene.
Rupesh Goenka
Oct 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
The book is about sex & drugs.. Disappointing..
Enelita Hermens-Latoza
Jul 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
A GOOD READ from Harold Robbins. An explosive compilation of drama, action, wits and 15 shades of Gareth.
Said Nazari
Apr 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Skip the erotic scenes and it will become a decent read.
Jennifer Gonzalez
Jan 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
I have read this book more than a few times and always understand it a little better each time. A harsh book but a good read!
bluetyson
isbn,original
Theresa
Dec 31, 2014 rated it did not like it
Crude
Nana Marfo
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Robbins classic!

What a story! It had all the ingredients of the classic Harold Robbins novel: pact writing, simple yet substantive plot, compelling characters and a sizzling combination of violence, humor, intrigue and of course, sex. This is the literary Sex, Drugs and Rock n Roll come alive. I thoroughly enjoyed it!
Cara Byrne
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
It's been a while since I've read any Harold Robbins. Like most of his works, there's a Book One and a Book Two and I found I preferred Book One this time. I felt Book Two was flitting around all over the place and I was as confused and disoriented as some of the characters on all the drugs that were flying around! It was okay, but I've read better.
Nick Wale
Trashy Robbins novel read in the 80s
Dara Sullivan
Apr 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book.

Harold Robbins has a great affinity for capturing the times that he's writing about. When you read his books it's like stepping back in time and experiencing it as others did. Very gripping book. Didn't take long to read. Hooked me from the get go.
Joe Informatico
  • The Art of Disappearing
  • Kafka's House
  • In a Child's Name: The Legacy of a Mother's Murder
  • The Book About Blanche and Marie
  • Ancient Echoes (Ancient Echoes, #1)
  • Love Letters from Cell 92
  • Missy
  • Some Can Whistle
  • Awkward Bitch: My Life with MS
  • Public Confessions of a Middle-Aged Woman
  • A Dead Red Heart (A Dead Red, #2)
  • Longboat Blues (Matt Royal, #1)
Born as Harold Rubin in New York City, he later claimed to be a Jewish orphan who had been raised in a Catholic boys home. In reality he was the son of well-educated Russian and Polish immigrants. He was reared by his pharmacist father and stepmother in Brooklyn.

His first book, Never Love a Stranger (1948), caused controversy with its graphic sexuality. Publisher Pat Knopf reportedly bought Never
More about Harold Robbins

• Burying the Honeysuckle Girls
  • Ilsa: A Novel
  • Into the Free
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Persian Boy (Alexander the Great, #2)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Get It Together, Delilah!
  • Mademoiselle Chanel
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Abundance: A Novel of Marie Antoinette (P.S.)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Orphan Master's Son
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Sisters One, Two, Three
    $4.99 $1.99
  • This Is Your Life, Harriet Chance!
    $15.95 $1.99
  • Yellow Star
  • Miramont's Ghost
  • I Am Livia
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Play of Death (The Hangman's Daughter, #6)
  • Requiem for a Dream: A Novel
  • I Don't Know How She Does It: The Life of Kate Reddy, Working Mother
  • The Eagle Tree
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Helen of Sparta (Helen of Sparta #1)
  • The Things That Keep Us Here
  • Halsey Street
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Woodlands (Glenbrooke, #7)
  • The Knockoff