Start by marking “Long Shadows (Hope Again, #3)” as Want to Read:
Long Shadows (Hope Again, #3)

Long Shadows

(Hope Again #3)

Old sins cast long shadows.

Mona Vickers is forging a new life, building a safe and loving home for her girls far away from the ghosts of the past. She’ll do whatever it takes to make it work, including sending her girls to the Christian-based after school program despite her own lack of faith.

Roy Strough, Director of the Unity Plenkiss Community Center, wants to help the h
Published April 6th 2021

To ask other readers questions about Long Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Long Shadows

Start your review of Long Shadows (Hope Again, #3)
Tina at Mommynificent
May 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2021-books
I have been wanting to know Roy and Mona's story since reading what has become book 4 in this wonderful series by Cathe Swanson. One of my favorite things about this author is that her books aren't formulaic in any way I can see, so I think it's fitting that she has written and released the books in this series in a non-formulaic order - 1, 2, 4, and now 3. :)

I love how this book defies being classified into a single genre as well. It's part romance, part mystery, part women's fiction, along wit
Esther
May 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Long Shadows, a novel by Christian author Cathe Swanson, tells the sweet but subtle romance of Mona Vickers and Roy Strough. Mona is the devoted mother of four young daughters who struggles to protect them from their dark past. She moves from ignorance about Christianity to faith in Jesus. Roy works at the Unity Plenkiss community center, where much of the story takes place. Difficult yet realistic topics are woven into the story, especially human trafficking, as well as PTSD and homelessness. P ...more
Sara Davison
May 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
Long Shadows should be compulsory reading for every teen and every parent of teens. Cathe Swanson does an amazing job of portraying how easy it is for teens to be lured into dangerous situations through online interactions, even if they feel they are taking precautions to be safe. The slow-burning romance and suspense add to the intensity of a story that held my attention from beginning to end.
Faith
Apr 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is such a good book! The characters are so real I felt like I was living with them throughout the whole book. I love that Mona was so protective of her girls and had a heart so big that they were her priority even in the circumstances surrounding her as a single mom. And Roy! Wow! What a patient, understanding, loving guy, but not like usual perfect characters, he's real and has struggles, too. The collection of characters that Ms. Swanson has created are inspirational as they give themselv ...more
Becky Smith
Apr 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Human trafficking, rescue missions, homeless shelters, and small-town missions are the focal point of this book, along with personal dignity, personal responsibility, but also pride that keeps us from accepting another person’s help. The first part of the book was fast-paced, full of chaos, confusion, and suspicion as much as the last part was suspenseful and surprising. I did not actually figure out who the perpetrator was until it was revealed. There was an emphasis on the respect and dignity ...more
Ann
Apr 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is a well written book that you don't want to miss! It tackles some tough subjects and the author handles them beautifully. This is the first book I've read in this series and I had no problem knowing what was going on, but I do want to read the first two books in this series now. This is a very inspirational story that will keep you turning the pages to see what happens next and it stays in your mind long after you've read the last page.
I received a complimentary copy and was not required
R.j.
Apr 06, 2021 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this!

I really enjoyed this next addition to a series I have loved. I think my favorite is book one, but this is excellent. I loved seeing more from “old friends”.
Trudy Cordle
Apr 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This was a great read! It deals with some tragic realities of our world, but handles them in a caring, positive manner. The kids steal the show, of course!! I love that Roy loves Mona without question. He's a great listener, and even when she finally tells him the hard stuff about her life, he's there to be compassionate and empathize, not judge. Even before Mona liked him, she trusted him. Roy showed her Jesus, even though she didn't realize it at the time. Mona has a hard time trusting, but on ...more
Emily
Apr 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Long Shadows

This story did not disappoint! I've been looking forward to reading Long Shadows to find out about Mona and her girls! This was such a great story that I couldn't put it down!
Alice LaJuett
Mar 28, 2021
Chautona Havig
Mar 28, 2021
Cathe Swanson
Apr 01, 2021 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Dana Michael
Jeanna Massman
Jun 14, 2021
Rebecca Macaulay
Jun 17, 2021

• A Baker for Bear (Mail-Order Mama Series Book 6)
  • A Beacon of Love (Faith in the Parks #2.5)
  • Blackberry Beach (Hope Harbor, #7)
  • Winds of Change: A Sweet, Inspirational, Small Town, Romantic Suspense Series (Heart Lake Book 1)
  • Lessons on Love: 4 Schoolteachers Find More Than They Bargained for in Their Contracts
  • Joys of Juniper: A Christian Romance (Urban Farm Fresh Romance Book 11)
  • To Save A King (True Blue Royal, #2)
  • River's Edge Ransom: A Short Prequel to Redeemer Chronicles
  • The Reformation of Mars (the Eden Stories, #2)
  • The Longest Day (The Eden Stories #1)
  • Suffering the Scot (Brotherhood of the Black Tartan #1)
  • The Girl Next Door Rescue: A K9 Handler Romance (Disaster City Search and Rescue Book 16)
  • The Late, Great Planet Jupiter
  • The Great Wall of Ven-Us (The Eden Stories Book #4)
  • Saturn: The Eden Experiment (The Eden Stories Book 5)
  • No Unturned Stone (The True Lies of Rembrandt Stone #2)
  • Any Given Moment
  • Finding Home: Snow Globe Café Book Two
After 40 years of wandering (but always in lovely places and not in a desert), Cathe Swanson has recently returned to her childhood home and family in Minnesota.

In the summer, she and her husband enjoy spending time with their grandchildren and being outdoors, gardening, hiking, birdwatching, and kayaking. The long winters are perfect for writing books, playing games, reading, and indoor hobbies.

Hope Again (5 books)
  • Baggage Claim (Hope Again #1)
  • Snow Angels (Hope Again #2)
  • Hope for the Holidays (Hope Again, #4)
  • Home Run (Hope Again, #5)

News & Interviews