Start by marking “Takakush (Genus Magica, #1)” as Want to Read:
Takakush (Genus Magica, #1)

Takakush

(Genus Magica #1)

“A fantastic tale that weaves a spell of ancient mysticism and modern charm." --Tim Marquitz, Author of the Demon Squad series, The Enemy of My Enemy series, and more

When Professor Elena Lukas returns to her cozy Pacific Northwest hometown with a broken heart, she’s plunged back into the fate she tried to escape. Like her mother and grandmother before her, Elena must now d
Published December 28th 2020

To ask other readers questions about Takakush, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Takakush

Start your review of Takakush (Genus Magica, #1)
Sadie Forsythe
Jan 18, 2021 rated it really liked it
3.5, round up

I generally enjoyed this. I’ll concede that it definitely had some cliched content, there’s some icky sexualization of a 14/15-year-old, and the teenagers speak more like an exaggerated SNL parody of teens than real teens (I have a 13 year-old and even considering they speak to their friends differently than their mother, they sound NOTHING like the ridiculous dialogue here.) But outside of those critiques, I liked the characters, the Lithuanian mythos, the humor, and the wisp of ro
gwendalyn _books_
Jan 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book was received from the Author, and Publisher, in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

This is a non spoiler review, because you as reader need to read this book. Also, I feel sometimes I have in the past gave away to much of the plot line. This has diminished the pleasure for would be readers.

A riveting paranormal, Takakush by Raine Reiter is steeped in folklore, along with elements of a darkish fantasy.
Takakush is rich wit
Emmett J.
Jan 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A ripping good story - not sorry about the pun..

Do you like camping? Then read this in the winter so the books affect on you will wear off by summer.

Scary as hell. Twists and turns to unravel. Not to despair, Author Rainer wraps them all up in the end. Set in a lush forest of Washington States corner of the Pacific Northwest Raine brings the characters to life. People I came to love and fret about their survival.

This story has something for everyone, magic, touch of fantasy, a huge dose of hor
Il confine dei libri
Feb 17, 2021 rated it it was ok
Shelves: letti
Voto libro: 2.5
Per leggere la recensione in blog cliccare qui:

2.5 - I have received this book from NetGalley in exchange for a honest review.

I decided to read "Takakush" by Reine Reiter because of the cover (obviously), with a big bear in the background that reminded me of the Winternight trilogy by Katherine Arden, and for references to the Lithuanian culture.

The main characters are the women of the Lukas family, the grandmother Regana, the mother Mina,
Julia
Jan 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reedsy, fantasy, favorites
I received an ARC to complete a review for Reedsy Discovery.

Vibrant, unique fantasy set in the Pacific Northwest. Compelling smart characters, snappy pacing, and Lithuanian mythology make this a hit.

I loved this book. I can't say enough how much I loved this book. I want to start with that.

In Takakush - Genus Magica Book One, Raine Reiter weaves a character-driven contemporary fantasy starring a matriarchal family of nature priestesses in search of a magical creature who has killed people in the
Alice Moon
Feb 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I received Takakush from @lovebookstours in exchange for an honest review and I am so happy that I had the opportunity to read it. This book is something else! First of all, that cover is stunning. It's creepy and beautiful in the same time. How you can say no to this?

Second, the plot is marvelous. I was captivated from the first page. A priestess who is dedicated to a Lithuanian goddess, a mysterious beast, dark secrets and twists. What you need more? The author knows what she is doing and now
Marion Over
Mar 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This was a phenomenal book. Full of great characters that are easy to get attached to.
I am very partial to working dogs and their partners already, so that part of the story was icing on my cake.
I loved the forest setting with the different Native magics trying to find balance.
A great storyline, it was masterfully written for a first book. Truly a hard to put down suspenseful, paranormal thriller.
I'm really looking forward to the next book in the series.
This was an ARC copy I received free
Michelle Van Berkom
Ancient magic

Reiter brings an ancient Lithuanian to life in present day Pacific Northwest in a spine tingling paranormal. Takakush kept me riveted to the page from beginning to end.
Raine Reiter
Jan 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I love it but then again, I wrote it. :). Available on Amazon Kindle Unlimited, ebook and paperback formats. http://tiny.cc/TakakushNovel ...more
Em (bibliophile_daydream)
Thank you for the gifted copy to Love Books Tours and Raine Reiter in exchange for participation in the bookstagram tour!

I LOVE urban fantasy, it's one of my favourite genres so I'm always on the hunt for new ones to devour.
Takakush has a fascinating and lush backdrop of Lithuanian lore, something I have never encountered in a book before. That was probably my favourite aspect of the story, I adore exploring the myths of other cultures!
However, I had one main gripe which was the use of multiple
bookish tanna
Jan 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing
For someone who is rarely engaged in the paranormal suspense genre, I wasn't sure if I would've liked this book or not.
Right from the first page, I was astonished by how magnificent Reiter's writing was. I adored the narrative. I immediately loved this book!
Takakush follows the story of Elena, a young woman who serves a powerful forest goddess. She works with Boone, a game warden, to find and capture the beast that roams the rainforest.
After investigating the attack scenes, Elena struggles with
Marta Cox
Feb 12, 2021 rated it really liked it
Ok I have to start by mentioning the absolutely gorgeous cover which captured my attention. A new author to me and it’s a difficult story to categorise. A little bit magical with myths and legends, a budding romance and then there’s the dark aspects that certainly were intriguing. I enjoyed this the first book in this series and thought the family who dominated this story have a lot more to share with the reader as their Lithuanian and innate magical heritage certainly felt unique. If you enjoy ...more
Siobhan
Takakush is the first book in the Genus Magica series by Raine Reiter, and it was a quick and addictive read. It’s one I was happy to power through in a single sitting, eager to see how everything came together.

I’ll be honest and say, as addictive as this was, it did take me a little while to get into it. The magical world that was introduced was interesting, but it took a while for me to understand it. Even then, there were some details that weren’t quite as clear as I would have liked them to
Jessica Belmont
Feb 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED Takakush by Raine Reiter so much, when I was finished reading, I wanted to pick it up and read it again. I don’t know what I expected, but this book took me.by surprise.

I absolutely loved the characters. We swap to different POVs, and not once did I feel it unnecessary or confusing. Having the different perspectives really maximized my enjoyment of this novel.

The plot is excellent. The build up yields an amazing result. I’m so in awe of the lore that has been build in. Action, tension, m
Hannah Rae
Jan 30, 2021 rated it really liked it
Can we talk about how amazing this cover is?! All of those rich colours are so eye catching, and I have to confess that it was one of my main reasons why I immediately signed up to this book tour. That and the synopsis of course.

I loved this. It was such a quick read, but don’t let a quick read fool you. It still contained a lot of depth, a lot of emotion and action, that I honestly could not have put it down. Elena and Boone were a good match, and they worked well together to find what creature
Ruth Choppen
Feb 01, 2021 rated it really liked it

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Review: The gorgeous cover of this book is what grabbed my attention but it was definitely the story between them that held my attention. I don’t want to give away any spoilers for those who have not read the book and I would recommend that everyone does. This book really does have everything; romance, folklore, the paranormal, magic and mystical creatures as well as enthralling cliffhangers. The story is written exceptionally well and is so captivating and full of details. I cannot wa
Ilana Costello (patel)
Feb 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky to receive an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review. I loved the use of nature magic in this book! The characters welcome you into their home and family. The story quickly grabs your attention and keeps it. I look forward to reading book 2 as soon as possible!
Georgina Power
Feb 10, 2021 rated it it was ok
Thank you to the author for a gifted copy of this book in exchange for an honest review

“I am this place, I am the Takakush”

Takakush follows the main characters Elena (who is an ethnobiologist professor and nursing a broken heart after the breakdown of her engagement) and Boone (detective for the Department of Fish and Wildlife) as they discover there is a creature hunting animals and people in the forest.
Elena is from a family of priestess to powerful Lithuanian goddesses, so along with her sis
Sharyl
Feb 28, 2021 rated it really liked it
𝑻𝒂𝒌𝒂𝒌𝒖𝒔𝒉 is a paranormal fantasy that mostly focuses on Elena Lukas, a young professor, who has just returned to her childhood home and family B&B business in Olympia, Washington, after a painful romantic breakup. She is to start a job at a local university in the fall.

Elena's family has the fate of serving a powerful Lithuanian goddess. At first, she is not ready to accept this, but when she is contacted by a local wildlife ranger for help in dealing with some strange animal attacks, she natur
Permanently_Booked
Feb 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways-arcs
"Where we're from there is a proverb: Let us turn this page down for now."

❇Adorable Familiars ❇Magic ❇Lithuanian Lore ❇Evil Beasts ❇Spunky Grandma

I love the books that take you by surprise and keep you hooked the deeper you go. Takakush was not what I expected in the best way possible.

The characters have excellent depth and I liked how Reiter tied ancient Lithuanian gods/goddesses and lore into the generational family in this book. Bringing to life their magic, familiars and the persona of the
Annie
Feb 22, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Originally posted on my blog: Nonstop Reader.

Takakush is the first book in a new paranormal suspense light horror series by Raine Reiter. Released 28th Dec 2020, it's 186 pages and available in paperback and ebook formats. It's worth noting that the ebook format has a handy interactive table of contents as well as interactive links and references throughout. I've really become enamored of ebooks with interactive formats lately.

I was expecting something vaguely comparable to Katherine Arden's
Meigan
What a delightful little gem this turned out to be! Atmospheric and mysterious, TAKAKUSH blends magic, folklore, and a dash of the macabre to bring readers a delightful series starter set against the lush Washington forest.

The action starts immediately, when in the first few pages a strange creature mauls a very large horse. It doesn’t stop there, instead leaving a trail of bodies in its wake and scratches on trees that are much too tall for any bear to have made. Detective Anderson is trying t
Corrie Anne Stacey
Feb 09, 2021 rated it really liked it
The front cover of this book is a beautiful design, so mysterious, magical, intriguing and a little bit spooky looking! I love the purple, black and gold.

When a body is found badly mauled in the forest, Sergeant Boone and his bear hunting dog Ohto are called to the scene. At first he thinks that a bear is responsible, but soon realises that this case is a lot more complicated. Boone asks Professor Elena (who specialises in invasive and endangered species) to help him with the investigation. The
Duckfacekim09 (Kim Howell)
Feb 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
⭐⭐⭐⭐.5

"I am this place, I am the Takakush."

Firstly, how beautiful is this cover?? And it's such a dinky book that everything about the appearance of this would have you thinking it's going to be some cute story... But it wasn't.

Wow. This was my first ever fantasy book and I think it was the perfect book to allow me to dip my toes into the fantasy pond because it wasn't too heavy on the well, fantasy. It was super easy to read and I especially loved that you went to different people's perspective
Brandy Michelle Michelle
Takakush is not my typical read and it took me a while to get into it, but I stuck with it and finally found the flow of the story.  The story introduces many characters,  but I don't know if all of them are necessary to the story.  They really felt like they were included to bulk up the page count. If Raine Reiter took them out it would be a better story that would catch the reads attention quicker.
We follow two main characters as they work together to uncover and solve a mystery or what is at
Serena Synn
Feb 20, 2021 rated it really liked it
Mythology, folklore and strong female protagonists are featured in the first novel of the Genus Magica series.

I loved the premise of this book. The magic, the mythology, all a solid start to building a new world.

I had a hard time bouncing between characters. I don't like stories with more than 2 points of view and honestly I prefer a first person POV for my books told from one character viewpoint, so this one was a little hard for me to fully immerse myself into.

I think I would give book two a
Sara (thebookwebb)
Feb 04, 2021 rated it liked it
This book has something of everything. A richly descriptive narrative with strong female characters and a foreboding sense of mystery. Throw in a paranormal fantasy element and you have a magical tale that has a dark edge. Something different for me was reading a book that had elements of Lithuanian mythology, which was an interesting aspect. This was a short book at only 286 pages that ended on a cliff-hanger, resulting in a quick read that leaves you wanting more.

Amy Laidler
Feb 05, 2021 rated it really liked it
#gifted @lovebookstours

So the cover of this book is what drew me in but the book itself was just as wonderful. There's so much that is jammed packed in this story and I wish I could tell you everything, but spoilers! This story has everything that you'd want in a fantasy novel- folklore, paranormal, magic, mythology, mystical creatures. I also love that there's a nice steady romance too. The characters are ones you enjoy being a part of, and there adventures are action-packed. Also cliffhangers!
Riddle & Ravens
Feb 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
If you want a book that plunges you into adventure from the get go... Takakush does just that!
It didn't matter that on that first page I wasn't quite familiar with some of the magical terms (that comes later), all that mattered is the how, when and why... And that's what gripped me and made me finish this gorgeous book at the speed of lightning.

A story with strong female leads, descriptive and vivid imagery conjured up by use of flawless writing technique... And a very beautiful world any fan
Polly
Feb 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
I love when the words of a story come to life off of the pages of a book. This is so beautifully written - the gorgeous imagery leaps off the page and the Lithuanian mythology is enchanting. The story itself is magical, but filled with mysterious darkness that gives it an edge. There are multiple POVs which make the story a fast read and gives insight into each of the character’s thoughts and experiences, which I loved. Elena and Boone are wonderfully matched, especially with the addition of Boo ...more

• I Left the Room Burning
  • Triple Jeopardy
  • The Mirror Souls (The Mirror Souls Trilogy Book 1)
  • A Conventicle of Magpies
  • Spirits of Vengeance: The Assassin of Araneque
  • An Ivy Hill Christmas (Tales from Ivy Hill)
  • The Lost Truth of April Dark
  • Waiting for Aegina (The Gift Saga, #2)
  • Spirits of Vengeance: The Stone of Spirits
  • Chasing Petalouthes (The Gift Saga #3)
  • Twinkle
  • The River Reflects
  • Evanthia's Gift (The Gift Saga #1)
  • SPY×FAMILY 1 (Spy x Family, #1)
  • Beastars, Vol. 1 (Beastars, #1)
  • The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Vol. 7: I've Been Waiting for a Squirrel Like You
  • The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Vol. 3: Squirrel, You Really Got Me Now
  • The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Vol. 12: To All The Squirrels I've Loved Before
Raine Reiter is a paranormal suspense author. Her first novel, Takakush - Genus Magica Book One will be released on Amazon in early 2021. Genus Magica Book Two is due in late 2021. Raine lives in the gloomy Pacific Northwest with her silly dog Luke. Raine’s favorite authors are Jim Butcher and Steven King.

Raine is a member of Sister's in Crime, the Alliance of Independent Authors (ALLI) , Horror