Start by marking “Any Job Will Do” as Want to Read:
Any Job Will Do

Any Job Will Do

(The Grand Human Empire #1)

When someone says they have a job for you, you don’t get picky.

Jackson “Jax” Caruso is a war orphan. His parents died when he was young. They were on the losing side of a civil war.

He does what he can to survive, taking the jobs that come and not asking too many questions. He has a ship, and a crew of droids to help get him by.

Kelso Station, one of the few remaining indepe
Published February 25th 2021 by Rogue Publishing LTD

To ask other readers questions about Any Job Will Do, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Any Job Will Do

Start your review of Any Job Will Do
Si Clarke
Jax owns his own ship. He has android crew that work with him on jobs. Most of the time, that’s good enough. But then along comes a job that needs him to bring in a human crew — two out of three of whom happen to be his exes.

This is somewhat different to the author’s Space Rogues series. It’s similar to Becky Chambers’ Wayfarer series. But much like Space Rogues, it’s loaded with geek culture references.

Half a point off of I could because the plot did kind of meander. Still a thoroughly enjoyab
Penelope
Feb 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I was given an Advanced Reader Copy in exchange for a review. I am a big fan of John Wilker's Space Rogues series and that is mostly due to the relationships between the main characters. For similar reasons I really enjoyed this book. Although the first couple chapters were written a bit clunkily, the book soon picked up in both character development and storyline. Like Gabe in the Space Rogues series, I found my favourite characters in Any Job Will Do were the droids, and in particular Baxter. ...more
Mr Geoffrey Bowlt
Feb 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A rip roaring adventure , will defo be following this series !
Nicole
Jan 16, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fun adventure from John Wilker!
Bumbling main male character surrounded by amazing, kick butt women!
I found the story fun, with a moralistic twist! Always good to have those!
Can't wait to see what the next place Jax heads to and to hear more about his history and how the universe got in the shape it is currently in.
Gary
Mar 04, 2021 rated it really liked it
This is the first book in a new series. I’ve read all the other books by this author and was looking forward to this one.

Overall I liked the story and the characters. The characters interact well and have abilities to support each other. The best characters however are the droids. They’re fun and have some snark. I enjoyed the plot although to my mind, it wandered a bit at times. There was back story for the main characters family near the end. I would have preferred it to be earlier in the boo
The Mysterious Reader
Feb 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I picked up John Wilker’s Any Job Will Do (The Grand Human Empire, Book 1) on a whim. The cover was interesting and the blurb had a Firefly feel to it (always a plus in my opinion), so “what the heck, why not?” I’m glad I took the chance as this was a fun, well written tale. I’ve not read anything by this author before, but I’m sure I’ll do so now - and am definitely looking forward to book 2. As for this one, it should be no surprise that I highly recommend it.
Ernest
Jan 25, 2021
JR
Feb 02, 2021
John
Mar 17, 2021 is currently reading it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Sam
Deborah Hughes
Bettye Short
Brenda Maki

• Except for Palestine: The Limits of Progressive Politics
  • Outworlder (Star Wanderers, #1)
  • Secrets of the Sword 1 (Death Before Dragons #7)
  • Imaginary Numbers (InCryptid, #9)
  • Heart of Vengeance (Vigilante, #1)
  • Carniepunk: The Demon Barker of Wheat Street (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #4.6)
  • Starship's Mage: Episode 1
  • Obsidian Detective (Opus X, #1)
  • Sudden Backtrack (The Hollows #13.1)
  • The Legacy of Tomorrow (Starhawke Rising Book 4)
  • Axes and Angels (Better Demons #1)
  • Earth Alone (Earthrise, #1)
  • The Service of Mars (Starship's Mage,  #9)
  • Wardtown
  • The Angel of Tarut (The Magi Saga #0.5; Tales of the Magi Saga #1)
  • A Darker Magic (Starship's Mage Book 10)
  • Mitzy Moon Mysteries Books 1-3: Paranormal Cozy Mystery (Mitzy Moon Mysteries Box Set Book 1)
  • CANNONBALL EXPRESS: Railroads of Mars
John lives in Denver with his amazing wife, and two nutty little dogs, where he enjoys patio beers, gardening, and camping.

He's been writing since he could but made the leap to sharing with the public in 2017 with his Space Rogues series.

John is an active member of the SFWA as wells as a board member of the Colorado Authors League.

He also writes under the pen name J. Beckett.

News & Interviews