Start by marking “The Luminous Eye: The Spiritual World Vision of Saint Ephrem the Syrian” as Want to Read:
The Luminous Eye: The Spiritual World Vision of Saint Ephrem the Syrian

The Luminous Eye: The Spiritual World Vision of Saint Ephrem the Syrian

All but unknown outside the Syrian tradition, Ephrem's rich theology of symbol, asceticism, and prayer amply deserves to stand beside his more famous Greek contemporaries.
Published February 1st 1992 by Cistercian Publications (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Luminous Eye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Luminous Eye

Brock Meier
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a remarkable book.
Sebastian Brock is generally acknowledged as the greatest living authority on the ancient Syriac language, and the foremost translator of the works of Ephrem the Syrian. In The Luminous Eye, he not only presents many translated passages of Ephrem, but presents them in the context of the early church, in the third-century Middle East.
Ephrem wrote a large body of literary works (mainly poems and hymns) as a poet-theologian. Rather than writing from a western (Roman/Gree
Matthew Hudson
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful little volume. Ephrem is perfectly enjoyable on his own, but Brock's exposition of his unique approach to theology is a great read. The historical details are interesting, mostly serving to fuel Brock's argument that Ephrem is an overlooked treasure, an argument I fully agree with.
♥ Ibrahim ♥
Jul 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
How would you feel if deep theological concepts are presented in poetic, tasty, easy format? Only Ephraem can present theology in poetry and get us to "come, taste, see that the Lord is good". When we sing "Amazing Grace", we here find a true Christian, Ephraem, so much amazed and mesmerized by the grace of Christ. Imagine communing with the Lord in these sweet words of Ephrem:

Who, Lord, can gaze on Your hiddenness
Which has come to revelation? Yes, Your obscurity
has come to manifestation and not
Ephraim Lawson Bowick
Mar 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
St. Ephraim the Syrian is a Church Father that I cannot get enough of. His writings are beneficial to laypeople, scholars, and clergymen alike through his implementation of poetry as a means of theological discourse. Every time I read something of his, I learn something new about the Holy Scriptures and about my newfound Orthodox faith. Sebastian Brock did a wonderful job in giving a concise teaching of the Saint's hagiography, theology, and by instituting an application of his teachings in toda ...more
Gareth Hughes
Jan 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ephrem, poetry, syriac
This is the best little introduction to Ephrem the Syrian and his writing. Sebastian Brock writes as life-long scholar of Syriac, thoroughly inspired by Ephrem. If you need to know that theology is beautiful, read this.
Ben
Apr 06, 2007 rated it really liked it
A little obscure, but really interesting. One of the few books I've read for class that Emily has stolen from me to read. (That's a comment on the quality of this book, not on the quality of my wife).
Wei-Hsien Wan
Dec 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Well-written introduction to the poetry and thought of St. Ephrem, with illustrative selections from his works.
Ryan Harbry
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Read it a while back. Truly amazing.
Taras Tymo
Jun 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
A great Intro to the Syriac theology, and Early church world-view in general....
John English
Oct 07, 2015 rated it liked it
I like the book; the eastern Christians are interesting.
Fr. Ted
Dec 26, 2012 rated it liked it
A worthy read to learn about the writings of St. Ephrem. Probably a good summary of ideas on St. Ephrem - a place to start for the person not already familiar with his thinking.
elbren