Start by marking “A Day with Wilbur Robinson” as Want to Read:
A Day with Wilbur Robinson

A Day with Wilbur Robinson

(Dinosaur Bob)

No need to knock, just step right in. You're just in time to two-step with Grandfather Robinson and his dancing frog band. Cousin Laszlo is demonstrating his new antigravity device. And Uncle Art's flying saucer is parked out back.

It seems like all the Robinson relatives are here, so be prepared. And keep your head down...Uncle Gaston is testing out the family
Published September 30th 1993 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about A Day with Wilbur Robinson, please sign up.
Engel Dreizehn Different from movie (which in my opinion...last 1/2 of the movie esp was darker) in terms of story especially but share similar "traits". Ex. singing…moreDifferent from movie (which in my opinion...last 1/2 of the movie esp was darker) in terms of story especially but share similar "traits". Ex. singing frogs, a crazy but loving family and the retro-future art style.(less)

K.D. Absolutely
Jul 15, 2011 rated it it was ok
Recommended to K.D. by: jzhunagev
Shelves: borrowed, childrens
A Day with Wilbur Robinson (1990) is a children’s picture book written and illustrated by William Joyce. I reviewed his earlier book Dinosaur Bob and His Adventures with the Family Lazardo yesterday so this is my second book by him. I am still impressed.

However, I think what really impressed me was its movie adaptation, Meet the Robinsons (2007) that Jzhun also lent me together with the book. Had I seen only the book, I would have rated this with 2 stars (It’s okay) because the plot was so thin there was almost nothing to talk about. Le
Krissy
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-tristan
This book was a lot of fun and my son loved it!
Amy
Dec 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
3 star read I'm bumping up to 4 because I love the movie it inspired. Very creative and imaginative. A delightful children's book but not a particularly amazing one.
Apokripos
Jun 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Kidz at ♥!
Recommended to Apokripos by: Blooey Singson
A Day Like No Other
(A Review of William Joyce’s A Day with Wilbur Robinson)

Few children picture books have that rare quality to equally charm and enchant youngsters as well as adult readers. William Joyce undoubtedly has it; this coming from someone who came around his second Joyce picture book and never seems to tire to read it repeatedly, for A Day with Wilbur Robinson is his best work I’ve encountered yet.

As the title makes plain, this simple plot, “a thickly disguised account of William Jo
Chak
Apr 17, 2009 marked it as to-read
The inside jacket says "Ages 4 - reasonably ancient," so I didn't have to guess on an age range for this one. Thanks, Harper Collins! This very silly book is a great intro to crazy sci-fi for kids. The narrator goes over to Wilbur's house for a visit, and while Wilbur is bored out of his mind, his wacky family of absurdist scientists is creating novel and ridiculous things and scenarios. This book is for kids who are prompted to giggle incessantly by any sort of non-sensical mayhem. There are a ...more
Christy Broderick
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute book! A lot resembles the movie, but I was thinking there’d be elements from the movie that were going to be in the book. Other than that, I liked it and the illustrations.
Kristen
Jun 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
I HAD NO IDEA THAT THIS WAS A BOOK BEFORE IT WAS A MOVIE!! I absolutely love the Disney movie, "Meet the Robinsons". I had no idea that it was a book before it was a movie! I thought it was a Disney creation around Disney's famous "Keep Moving Forward" tagline.

This book was so much fun. Disney did a great job pulling most of the experiences that Lewis had at the Robinson house. I loved all the funny things that happened to them. My favorite part was the dinos hanging out at the pool. The illustra
Elisha Condie
Jan 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
We love William Joyce books at our house. This one and "Dinosaur Bob" are our favorites. This book is so cool - the narrator kid goes to spend the day at his friend William Robinson's house. The Robinsons are all super cool - Uncle Orbley has an anti-gravity machine, Grandpa conducts a frog swing band, and William's sister wears a prom dress shaped like a skyscraper with a hat that includes King Kong and airplanes.

I wish our lives looked like William Joyce's illustrations. If I had to pick whic
Ms. Sweeney
Nov 03, 2007 rated it it was ok
His art work is novel but i'm never impressed with his writing.
Zacaro Caro
Dec 14, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
This book was written by... Mad libs?
Dianna
Mar 29, 2010 rated it liked it
The book on which the movie Meet the Robinsons is based. Pretty weird. So's the movie.
Tatiana Dengo
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
If you've watched and loved the movie, this book may not fit your expectations, so just leave those at the door when reading this.

A Day with Wilbur Robinson is fun for kids because the illustrations hide all sorts of zany details, especially when you near the margins. The compositions are very unusual in that the center is left wide and open, while some very curious events happen almost entirely out of the frame.

This book is also a good example of how in a picture book, the illustrations serve
Melissa
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is pure childhood imagination at its best. This book has everything in it from anti-gravity machines, jazz playing frogs, pillow fights, a larger than life train set, and an uncle who likes to shoot himself and food out of a cannon. The illustrations are by William Joyce and are essential to the story line. In fact, without the illustrations the story really would not make much sense at all. They are painted to enhance and add to the story. They are reminiscent of the 1930s and bring an alm ...more
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Joyce, William A Day with Wilbur Robinson, PICTURE BOOK Atheneum Books for Young Readers, 2017 (originally published in 1990). $17.99. Content: G.

This picture book was the basis for the “Meet the Robinson’s movie (2007). The illustrations are brilliant and artistic, the story is relatively plotless (looking for grandpa’s teeth) but the large illustrations - reminiscent of the illustrations from the 1920s- 1930’s makes this as visually pleasing for adults as fun for the children. Adventure, dare
Matthew Hunter
The book that inspired the hilarious film Meet the Robinsons. Usually, I prefer books over film adaptations. Not in this case, however. The story’s silly, and quite frankly, unnecessary. But the artwork! Beautiful. Art for art’s sake, I guess.

The kids giggled a few times, especially during the dining scene where Cousin Gaston uses a mini cannon to shoot what looks like meatballs at the expectant, gaping maws of the rest of the family. Randomness depicted in an aesthetically appealing way. I su
Amy Layton
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebooks
I saw the movie as a kid when it came out years ago.  Though this is certainly much different, being the originator for the movie's plot, it still remains similar enough so that those familiar with the movie will be still able to recognize it.  And that's what makes it really fun.  The differences are both subtle and huge, and both are so incredibly creative and enthusiastic, and it made for the reading experience to be utterly fantastic for me, especially with how much is going on with the illu ...more
Cristal Trujillo
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The text’s font on the cover of the book changes throughout the title, the name, Wilbur Robinson, is in a different font than the rest of the title which is sometimes done to designate characters. The illustrations’ style is soft and looks sort of vintage even though there are some futuristic aspects within the illustrations themselves. The story is interesting one crazy thing happening after another, so many outlandish characteristics added to a singe story. Details within the story are amazing ...more
Lisa
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Robinson household is very unique. Wilbur Robinson’s best friend has come for a visit, and they spend the day searching for Grandpa’s teeth among dinosaurs, robots, giant worms, dancing frogs and Wilbur’s extremely eccentric family members.

Spencer Jones
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was very entertaining and had such vibrant illustrations! I loved how creative the story was and how everyone in the Robinson family has something unique about them. This books connects with me because growing up I always loved going to my friends houses over night instead of staying at home and how I always had a good time no matter what we did. I also learned that this author produced and designed for one of my favorite childhood movies, Robots. This book is science fiction or low fa ...more
Deserae Duran
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book because of how creative it is. It's so different and full of imagination, how could you not love it? The illustrations of all these futuristic things is perfect. I am definitely going to rewatch "Meet The Robinsons" now since this is the book that inspired the movie. I would recommend this to second graders just because the text is in longer segments and smaller kids don't really have the attention span for that.
Annie Walker
I absolutely love the movie Meet the Robinsons, so I was curious to see how the book compared. The book is just as creative and silly as the movie, though the movie definitely has more plot and some very imaginative additions.
The illustrations are beautiful, colorful and cute! The writing is simple, but funny and sweet.
Anthony
An unnamed lad tells the story of a day his spends at his best friend,Wilbur Robinson's, house. They spend the day searching for Wilber's grandfather's teeth. This is no ordinary search, because this is no ordinary house. During the search the protagonist meets all of Wilbur's eccentric, and wacky family members, and the things they like to do.
Leigh
Sep 03, 2019 rated it liked it
The usual charm of William's usual stories. We were a bit disappointing to find that so much of the Disney film had been original content. This story, adorable as it is, is a bit more confusing and lacking in plot than the movie would have you believe. Still a classic in its own right, but for specific tastes.
Eleanor W
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
until recently I didn't know that this book is what the meet the Robinson's movie was based off of. Our brother loves Meet the Robinson's, so we all enjoyed seeing how the story line got started and how Disney changed some major points but kept some of the background things in the illustrations.
Katie
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I picked up this book because the Disney film Meet the Robinson’s is my go-to pick-me-up movie! The ending *always* chokes me up! SO GOOD.
Though the book and the movie are different, but I am glad to have read the story that inspired such a wonderful film!
Kelly
This story was so far out that it increases the appeal factor. Coupled with bright and detailed illustrations, it's mesmerizing.

A boy goes to spend the day with his friend, Wilbur Robinson, whose family is truly odd. Strange things happen at the Robinson house, but it's never boring.
Emma
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of my all time favorite children’s books. Read this quirky little gem countless times as a kid. Also, can Wilbur Robinson be my best friend? Fun fact: apparently this was a fantastical account of author William Joyce’s childhood.
Delaney Brown
Mar 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Overall, it was hard for me to stay interested. I think this is still a good book and the illustrations are captivating but it just was not my favorite! I think the font changes were fun to notice and looking deep into the pictures but the actual text couldn't keep me reading.
Veronica
The kind of book that is fun to read with a 2-5 year old who will add their imagination to the story. (Doesn't have much to do with the movie other than the existence of most of the characters.)
Abigail
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Decided to read this after recently re-watching Meet the Robinsons. A cute, quirky book that provided the inspiration for a movie that I love very dearly.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. Picture book, boy visits friend, friend's grandpa loses his false teeth. [s] 3 12 Jan 06, 2017 09:49AM
movie 1 8 Jul 09, 2010 11:39AM

• Dear Mili
  • Monster Mama
  • January's Sparrow
  • You Wouldn't Want To Sail On The Titanic!: One Voyage You'd Rather Not Make
  • The Land of Narnia
  • Here Comes the Garbage Barge!
  • Maurice Sendak's Really Rosie Starring the Nutshell Kids
  • That Book Woman
  • The Locus Awards: Thirty Years of the Best in Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • Princess Prunella and the Purple Peanut
  • Dear Vampa
  • Where Is Home, Little Pip?
  • The Ballad of the Pirate Queens
  • The Funny Thing
William Joyce does a lot of stuff—films, apps, Olympic curling—but children’s books are his true bailiwick (The Numberlys, The Man in the Moon, Nicholas St. North and the Battle of the Nightmare King, Toothiana, and the #1 New York Times bestselling The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore, which is also an Academy Award–winning short film, to name a few). He lives with his family in Shre ...more

Dinosaur Bob (4 books)