Start by marking “A Midnight Clear” as Want to Read:
A Midnight Clear

A Midnight Clear

Can a painful goodbye become a second chance?

Adric's pretty sure his hopeless crush on his roommate Royce has an end date. They'll finish their EMT training course before the holidays and take the exam. When they pass—fingers crossed— he has plans for job hunting, but even when he teases or nags, Royce refuses to discuss anything beyond that looming test date. That has to
Published January 11th 2021 (first published January 1st 2021)

To ask other readers questions about A Midnight Clear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Midnight Clear

Start your review of A Midnight Clear
Kaje Harper
Dec 10, 2020 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-books
This second-chances friends-to-lovers holiday novel is now available wide, beginning with Smashwords and Amazon US.
Gabi
Sometimes I hate my brain. I really liked the first half of the book. It was sweet and a bit sad. And I figured I know where the story is going, and I didn't want it to go in that direction. And when it really didn't... I was disappointed. o.o Piece THAT together.
So the other half wasn't as strong for me. I don't want to say why coz that's a spoiler. But my best advice is try and turn your brain off. Let the story take you and not the other way around. Somehow I always make that mistake, let my
Terri Jones
Jan 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I loved the guys, I loved the single point of view, I admired the variety of supporting characters and the comings out and the variety of conflicts, and all of it, and above all, I loved the time this story encompasses, giving room for the resolution to really mean something. And a good epilogue. I love a good epilogue.
Fritz42
I love those stories where two good guys have to negotiate life, and sometimes it takes an effort to make things work out. Both Adric and Royce were such good people, and I ached for them when their difficulties struck. I also love those stories where we get to see their lives into the future, and it makes all those tougher times all the more worth it.
Alicia
Awww man. I’m torn on what to rate this. On one hand, I was really into reading this and I felt pretty connected to Adric as a character. On the other, Royce really hurt Adric and that kinda pissed me off. I know that he never promised anything to him, but if Royce was feeling like he was falling for Adric, obviously he should’ve realized that Adric was falling for him too. And to leave without saying goodbye? To ignore his texts and not respond once? That is an incredibly shitty thing to do.

So
Allison
Jan 16, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: free, holidays, 2021
3.5 stars rounded up.

This is a difficult one for me. I really disliked the beginning and avoided reading it because I wasn't enjoying it, but I kept on because I used to love Harper's books, and I hoped this would turn around for me. It did eventually and I do love the MCs separately and together, but I really could have done without parts of the book. I would love for the aunt and the cousin to disappear entirely because they really didn't add anything to the story other than unnecessary uglin
Kim
Jan 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I've read this author before. This was a MM contemporary story set in the USA. Main character are Adric and Royce. Second chance love. They are roommates during a short EMT course. Finding love the last 3 weeks they spend together. Royce leaves to join the army and breaks Adric's heart. Fast forward 2 years and Royce is let go from the Army after a terrible car accident. Adric slowly forgives him. Great story, read page turner. ...more
Grace
Second-chance romance is one of my least favorite tropes, hence me dragging my feet on this one despite quite enjoying this author's work. I *did* end up enjoying it, but as anticipated, I wasn't wild about the second-chance aspect. Though the story does feel complete, and it quite long for a short story, it did sort of feel like it was straddling the line between short story and full-length novel and I wish the author would have committed to one or the other. There was quite a lot of detail and ...more
Sue
Apr 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is a MAGNIFICENT Book about two young men trying to get through EMT training. They get an apartment together to save money. Adric is the klutzy, standoffish, hardworking geek. Royce is outgoing, gorgeous and a genius. Nothing seems to erode his confidence. Both are dealing with underlying dysfunctional circumstances. Adric is trying to take care of everyone. He has a sweet and caring heart. Royce is very private, comes across arrogant in a party way. Both in their own way take care of the o ...more
Isa Tis
Jan 09, 2021 rated it really liked it
J’ai vraiment apprécié ma lecture de ce court roman de Kaje Harper et quel plaisir de voir une photographie de Dan Skinner en couverture ! A Midnight Clear est une histoire de seconde chance, douce-amère et émouvante.

Royce & Adric ont seulement 18 ans quand ils se rencontrent mais font preuve d'une certaine maturité, amis et colocataires, ils ont tout deux des projets déjà tout tracés. La vie n’a pas été tendre avec les héros, chacun a le poids d'un fardeau sur ses épaules et cela fait d'eux de
Susan
Jan 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars for this second-chance holiday romance. The first half was especially strong as the two young adult MCs embark on a relationship they know has a built-in expiration date. My heart broke for the POV MC, Adric, as he realized that there was nothing he could do to make Royce stay with him. The second half was rewarding as the two are reunited, but I needed a little more grovel from Royce or hesitation on Adric's part. Their path to a HEA was almost too smooth. Bonus points for including t ...more
Caitlin
While I liked this and I'm would read more books from this author, I really think Royce needed to do so much more groveling, and if I were Adric, I wouldn't have taken him back. If there wasn't the accident, Royce wouldn't have come back to Adric!! That made me so mad and sad for Adric. ...more
Tessi4M
Jan 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I don’t really know why, but whenever authors make these giveaway events I always expect the books to be mostly light and low on the angst. I logically know that no one has made any such promises, but it’s just there in the back of my subconscious.

This means I sometimes get a bit of a surprise. This book was one of those times because it packs quite an emotional punch.
Kaje Harper knows how to write engaging stories and and doesn’t hold back when it comes to letting her characters work for it.
The
Teresa
Jan 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Oh my, it made me cry! And smile, and it was hot! I really liked these characters.
Nidz
Jan 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this book! It made me so emotional, and it also kinda hurt, but I honestly really loved this book.
Td
Jan 28, 2021 added it
Shelves: dnf, holidays
DNF - 40%
Did not know this would be or feel like NA. Not something I tend to go for nowadays. My fault for not paying attention. No rating.
Will Parkinson
Jan 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book brought out all the emotions. At times I was sniffling, other times angry, and more than once hurting for the boys.

The one that gave me the most feels was Royce. He was stuck in an impossible situation: wanting to please his father, care for his mother, and all the while coming to terms with his love of Adric. I can't imagine what I would do if faced with those problems.

Would I have liked Royce to figure it out sooner? Of course. I'm a HEA kind of guy, but their story wasn't at the poi
SCo74
Mar 24, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm-novella, mm
This was cute, with enough doses of angst and romance. I wish it would have been dual POV, but at the end we got a little more understanding of Royce's feelings and decisions.
Both MCs seemed older, tough, I think it would have worked better with them being early 20s (not sure if it would make sense with the studies (view spoiler) timeline)
Sex scenes were hot but seemed realistic, I liked that not everything was perfect.
I got a little bothered that the timeline seeme
Aster*
Feb 27, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: christmas-mm
So this is too rushed to feel like a novel and waaayyyyy too long to be a short story, so it's a weird limbo I'm not sure I liked.

Also, beware! This is a book that stops halfway through without warning and jumps ahead a few years. I hate those types of 'second chance' books, although this was better than some others I've read.

There's a lot of extraneous family shit that doesn't move the plot along and just serves to make us cry, so be warned about that.

I just don't know about this. It's sold as
Bb
Feb 06, 2021 rated it really liked it
An intense great story! The only thing I struggled with was the age of these guys. They seemed to have a lot of life experience and emotional maturity for their ages. Their separation was painful. I am glad they worked hard to repair the relationship. It was a really good book to read! Adric is wonderful despite some of his family. Respect how hard he works and puts his heart in his job. Royce has to go through hell before he resets his life.

Did wonder if Adric ever planned to go back to school
Angel_Angiej
Mar 04, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm, medics, romance
A story about two young men who are roommates and take the EMT classes. Adric has a crush on Royce, but knows it won't be more than that or can it?

The story is told in the first person (Adric), it is well written with a few problems in the family being told but the author doesn't dwell too much about those. That part of the book could have been more or just left out. 3,5 stars.
Michelle
Jan 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
This was another pleasant surprise.

This was another book from the Winter Wonderland giveaway of holiday stories, and after the first story I read, I didn't have the highest expectations for the rest of the books. But this one was also quite good.

Adric and Royce are roommates studying for their EMT certifications--Adric wants to eventually become a paramedic, but this is his first step. Adric also has a huge crush in Royce, but doesn't have a clue if Royce even likes guys.

My first surprise with
Mary
Jan 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
Needed just a bit more groveling!!
Smut Librarian
Jan 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
Lots of emotion snd angst but a highly satisfying read overall.
Pjm12
Jan 13, 2021 rated it really liked it
This is the right balance of emotion and romance, and and character development and plot. Only from one point of view - Adric's - so we only have part of Royce's motivations and feelings. Although he does share and is honest and open when he finally commits. Nothing is ever rushed or skimmed over in this author's work. I do appreciate her detail.

Great story.
Krissi
Jan 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2021, preferiti
Lettura n. 2 - 2021 - ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Un piccolo meraviglioso capolavoro!
Così tante emozioni in così "poche" pagine. Sì, perché 190 pagine sono davvero poche quando, già dalla prima, ti trovi ad amare i due personaggi. Mi è sembrato quasi, soprattutto nella prima parte, di essere lì con loro, di toccare le loro emozioni, i dubbi e le sofferenze.
I never felt as close to anyone. Did he feel it too? Maybe he’ll change his mind. See that he can’t give me up. I tried to smother the bit of me that hoped if I’d
Mandy Silman-Herbert
3.5
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Where Forever Started
  • Cool Story, Bro
  • Thorned Heart (Famous)
  • Out in Winter (Out in College #8)
  • The Light (Love in O'Leary, #5.6)
  • Better For You (Harrison Campus, #3.5)
  • Winter Waites (Aster Valley #0.5)
  • Out in the Cold
  • Jonty in Russia (Unfinished Business 1.6)
  • Featherbed (Vino & Veritas, #1)
  • Aftermath (Vino & Veritas, #5)
  • Snow Way in Hell
  • Heartscape (Vino & Veritas, #2)
I get asked about my name a lot. It's not something exotic, though. “Kaje” is pronounced just like “cage” – it’s an old nickname, and my pronouns are she/her/hers.

I was born in Montreal but have lived for 30 years in Minnesota, where the two seasons are Snow-removal and Road-repair, where the mosquito is the state bird, and where winter can be breathtakingly beautiful. Minnesota’s a kind, quiet (i