Start by marking “Out of the Crisis” as Want to Read:

Out of the Crisis

Deming offers a theory of management based on his famous 14 Points for Management.

"Long-term commitment to new learning and new philosophy is required of any management that seeks transformation. The timid and the fainthearted, and the people that expect quick results, are doomed to disappointment."

According to W. Edwards Deming, American companies require nothing less th
Published July 31st 2000 by MIT Press (first published 1982)

Start your review of Out of the Crisis
David
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read W. Edwards Deming when I had a hiatus from Saudi Aramco and worked for Bechtel in Washington, DC, for 4 years, returning to Aramco in Dhahran in 1991. Reading Deming showed me how to be a better manager without conforming to the American de rigueur process of obtaining the MBA, which I've always detested as a poor learning platform for real leadership. (Leadership can't be taught; rather, it must be learned.) Deming brought crippled Japanese manufacturing back into the modern age. Typical ...more
Lamec Mariita
Jan 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is a must read if you want to be a great manager. It's easy to read and the author's style is interesting. Deming's insights into business process is timeless. Deming best summarizes the purpose of the book: "This book teaches the transformation that is required for survival, a transformation that can only be accomplished by man. A company can not buy its way into quality - it must be led into quality by top management. A theory of management now exists. Never again may anyone say that ...more
Bob Wallner
Jan 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 6-sigma, strategy
First let me start by saying that Dr Deming is an amazing man. I really took my time reading this book to ensure that I understood it everything he talked about.

The big take away I have from this book is not a 14 principles, not the deadly diseases and not the obstacles. The biggest takeaway, for me at least, is how weak I am at applying statistical methods to controlling quality. So much of what he talked about in the second half of the book was over my head.

I know now that I need to incorpora
Peter
Oct 25, 2015 rated it did not like it
As with many others... great lifetime of achievement and ideas, and a true hero of mine... brought down by terrible writing. Wikipedia is a better source for learning Deming philosophy. Of all the content of the book, I'd like to highlight that Deming gives much credit to Walter Shewhart for being the true father of statistical analysis of process.

As for the style and writing, the book is such a mess that you could spend 3 years researching a doctoral thesis on its flaws, but in 30 minutes this
Henrik Berglund Berglund
Of coure a classic with groundbreaking ideas! So I guess I could have given it five stars also. I decided to not rate the book in a historical perspective though, but just estimate the value I got from it today

The ideas herein have been picked up by others, and become part of what lean/agile people know already. So, I did not really change my mind on anything after reading this.

Also all the examples are from production and focused on getting processes under statistical control. The work I'm doi
Aimee
Oct 29, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: persons who are/aspire to be in management
Shelves: biz
Deming's claim to fame was teaching the Japanese about quality improvement principles in manufacturing, which Japanese companies then applied and consequently became world leaders in excellence. Most of what Deming puts forth is intuitive: management must have an understanding of what each job entails (best if they actually have done the work), the ability to focus on the "long run" for their organizations (not just making quarterly profits), and instill a committment to excellence. Unfortunatel ...more
Jenny Truong
Jun 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of the most helpful perspectives/books I've read on using data to improve execution and business performance. While it may be a bit long and seem repetitive, the book can be digested in chapters as one does a textbook. Highly recommend to those who work in operations roles or anyone seeking a perspective on the barriers that get in the way of excellence in execution.
Chet Brandon
Nov 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: management
This is obviously a classic. I picked up a used copy for pennies and have been re-reading his work. I am particularly interested in the origins of his Plan, Do, Check, Act theory. Just a great work that never ages.
JB
Mar 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is to management what The Republic is to philosophy.
Chris Cox
Dec 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An American classic. This book is packed with information about using statistics to solve quality problems in manufacturing, medicine, and almost all fields of endeavor. I highly recommend this book to engineers, doctors, scientists, and manufacturing workers.
Todd
May 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 100-best
This book was included in my book: The 100 Best Business Books of All Time. www.100bestbiz.com ...more
John
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It has taken me many years to be at a point that I could understand this book.

This is a superior management text.
Omar Halabieh
Oct 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Dr. Deming best summarizes the purpose of the book: "This book teaches the transformation that is required for survival, a transformation that can only be accomplished by man. A company can not buy its way into quality - it must be led into quality by top management. A theory of management now exists. Never again may anyone say that there is nothing new in management to teach."

He then proceeds with outlining and subsequently detailing his "14 points for management". These fourteen points, he arg
Dave Neary
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
A legend in management techniques using statistical methods. Famous for the 14 principles of management. You can feel the confidence and experience in his reports to clients and his conditions for taking new clients. Nevertheless, the book is repetitive, and at a certain point I didn't feel the return on investment in reading additional chapters was high. Still four stars, a very valuable reference!
Michael Czapla
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I couldn't finish it. Its rather dated now
Bartosz Pranczke
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
Very good ideas but delivered in such a way that I've struggled to read the book. It's more like a textbook combined with personal notes than a coherent message from start to finish.

If there is an easier to grasp book about the same ideas, it's a must-read.
Evan Leybourn
Oct 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Deming, and his book Out of the Crisis, is part of what has driven my passion for Agile Business Management. While this book is over 30 years old and predates the "Agile" movement, many of the concepts and recommendations that Deming makes align to the values & principles of the agile manifesto.

A call to action
Although written in the context of American manufacturing, Out of the Crisis was a call to action for companies to address systemic problems in the way that western management operated. Wh
Aaron
Sep 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Management
The book outlines Deming's fundamental ideas of effective, responsible management and organization. He goes to length to illustrate how irresponsible, misguided management has put the United States in economic trouble in recent decades; he offers sound advice makes clear cases for improvements in management and how changes will translate to betterment for the entire agency, and from there to the nation.

In my book Deming sets the standard for clear, efficient non-fiction writing. He draws heavil
Rhonda Sue
Nov 11, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a highly technical book, with lots of graphs, charts, and statistical computations. If you're in the statistics field this is a seminal work. If you're in a large business organization and are looking for ways to improve things, you will find valuable material here. If you're familiar with Lean and Toyota Production Systems, and eliminating waste, this is good foundational reading.

The key takeaway are Deming's 14 points: 1. Create constancy of purpose for improvement of product and servi
Brigt Nersveen
Mar 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lean, leadership, business
I've read a fair share of books of Lean and I attended the IHI improvement conference. They have Deming as their "godfather". This book really put things in perspective. How we manage our business and how we should.

The statistical approach is prominent in this book, more than any other I've read. Already I'm experimenting with his thoughts in worksettings.

For me this book will be a foundation for further development and thinking.
Steve Coscia
Dec 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
Old time manufacturing people (like me) live and die by this book. The statistical process control (SPC) methodology still holds true. The 14 Points remain valid. Deming taught SPC to war torn Japan back in the mid 1940s. Their manufacturing quality excelled. I attended Deming's four-day workshop when he was alive. He was the master.
tomlinton
a corporate version
of this philosophy
and the many books
on the subject
I finished during that time
are probably buried in obscurity
but my it sure was fun
Susan Janke
Sep 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I am the COO at a service corporation and found this book extremely helpful. Some aspects don't really apply (like inventory control, for example), however, the majority of this book focuses on sound management practices that are relevant across the board.
Nishanth K
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lean
this book is not at all an easy read. it is ok considering the fact that this book deals with something that is really valid and applicable to any industry. PDCA as a method is well publicised by Japanese companies and in the software world, by agile values and principles.
Bruce Humbert
Aug 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I would put this in my top ten of books that have had an impact on how I think...

The Bible
The Shack
Free to Choose
Ken Berger
Sep 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Deming is difficult to read & understand, but he holds the true keys to success - if you implement his 14 principles, your might become as successful as Toyota (who followed his teachings). ...more
Manuel Molinier
Jan 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kanban, quality
The best book I've ever read about Quality, quality management in any industry or process. A must read for anybody with an interest in Quality and lean / kanban processes.
Bob Schatz
A True Classic....everyone should read it and learn to master Deming's 14 points
Stuart Harker
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
W Edwards Deming is the forerunner in the Field of systems thinking and management thinking, and a must read for any serious leader
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Practice of Management
  • Maverick: The Success Story Behind the World's Most Unusual Workplace
  • Reengineering the Corporation: A Manifesto for Business Revolution
  • The Balanced Scorecard: Translating Strategy into Action
  • Reality Check: The Irreverent Guide to Outsmarting, Outmanaging, and Outmarketing Your Competition
  • Competitive Advantage: Creating and Sustaining Superior Performance
  • The Four Steps to the Epiphany: Successful Strategies for Startups That Win
  • Leading Change
  • On Becoming a Leader
  • Thriving on Chaos: Handbook for a Management Revolution
  • Extreme Programming Explained: Embrace Change (The XP Series)