Start by marking “Rhyming Dust Bunnies” as Want to Read:
Rhyming Dust Bunnies

Rhyming Dust Bunnies

Bug! Rug! Mug! Hug! These dust bunnies love to rhyme. Well, except for Bob. Much to the other bunnies’ frustration, Bob can never get the rhythm right. Then he saves everyone from a big, scary monster wielding—gasp!—a broom, and they all breathe a sigh of relief. But can Bob save them from the big, scary monster’s next attack? Vrrrrrroooommm . . .
Published January 6th 2009 by Beach Lane Books

To ask other readers questions about Rhyming Dust Bunnies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rhyming Dust Bunnies

Start your review of Rhyming Dust Bunnies
Betsy
Jun 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Betsy by: Susan Pine
All right. That's it. I can't take it anymore. Could we please please PLEASE just get it over with and declare Jan Thomas some kind of national treasure / picture book genius? No, seriously people. I am not even kidding about this. I'm tired of the excuses. She killed with her debut What Will Fat Cat Sit On, slayed with A Birthday for Cow, and caused general carnage and delight with The Doghouse. I thought myself the expert of all things Thomas (Thomasian?) and then a fellow children's librarian ...more
La Coccinelle
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
This book is basically an example of the Cassandra phenomenon. Bob is a bit different from the other dust bunnies. Ed, Ned, and Ted always rhyme... while Bob, apparently, doesn't. In the case of this book, however, Bob's inability to rhyme might actually come in handy. If only his friends would listen to him.

The story is super simple, but I had a smile on my face as I was reading it. That said, for older readers, this is probably not going to be a book to pick up again and again. Once you know
Tasha
Feb 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Four bright-colored, hairy dust bunnies introduce themselves as Ed, Ned, Ted, and Bob. They rhyme together all the time. What rhymes with car? The first three bunnies join in merrily rhyming together, but Bob has other things on his mind. Ed, Ned and Ted are oblivious to what Bob is trying to tell them, chiding him for not rhyming. Their continued rhyming and Bob's refusal to play mixed with his growing desperation for them to understand will have everyone laughing. Classic vaudeville humor in a ...more
Dee/ bookworm
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very cute, very humorous!
Heidi-Marie
I love this! I love the bright colors, the humor, the rhymes, and that there is a dust bunny named Bob! Julie read this to us when the new books came in and I smiled with every page. Definitely a great lap read, and could probably work well in a storytime (perhaps a school age one, maybe also preschool).

And now I wish I had a few stuffed dust bunnies sitting around. Can I really be more pathetic and silly?

(Don't answer that. I know the answer already.)

3/27/13 & 3/28/13 Used this to begin my
babyhippoface
Jun 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
What kind of person thinks to make dust bunnies the heroes of a picture book? The kind I wanna hang out with, I'm thinkin'!

Jan Thomas is rapidly becoming one of my favorite authors of books for children, and I'd never heard of her before this year. What Will Fat Cat Sit On? kills me--one of my favorite super-fast read-alouds, The Doghouse is a crowd-pleaser when read with the right intonations, and now we have rhyming dust bunnies. Seriously? Yep.

Well, except for Bob, who is much more
Kimberly
Apr 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
HILARIOUS! Very cute. Read it to your kids or give yourself a three minute break to enjoy it on your own. Good call, Bob.

Used for TT "silly" storytime on 1/24/18.
Catherine
Jan 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I love every single book by Jan Thomas!
Nancy
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Can't go wrong rhyming!
Amy
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-little-boy
Simple. Short. Funny for my 4-year-old.
Heather
My younger boys (6 and 4) think this book is the best book ever. At least for now. I've read it many a time to them. Good thing it's a quick read!

The illustrations are cute and the dialogue is funny. My boys especially love Bob, the poor dust bunny that can't seem to rhyme with the others, but does sense when danger is near. It's a good book for teaching rhyme. And it makes kids laugh.

I crack up every time I read it because my dad's name is Bob and for some reason I think it's hilarious when
Cassandra
Oct 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I think this is my 7 year old's favorite book of the year. And with good reason- it's pretty darned clever. We renewed our copy until the library threatened to revoke our book-checking out licenses, and now I expect I'll have to just go buy a copy because there is nothing quite like listening to my kids read it together and then dissolve into giggles (-that is when they are not arguing about who is going to read which part.)
Courtney Barter
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kidlit
Rhyming Dust Bunnies by Jan Thomas is a sweet book. The illustrations are bright and colorful which draws the reader in. It is about dust bunnies who always find words that rhyme. The book is quite simple, with "sight words." I believe it would be a great choice for younger students to read, but also fun for the older children. It is a Monarch Award winner.
Mary
Read this as an ARC at ALA (how's that for acronym-dropping?) and it was hilarious! I can't wait to use this in storytime. A great book to support phonological awareness, obviously, as there is a lot of rhyming (and not rhyming) in the story. Fred, Ed, Ted, and Bob are the most endearing anthropomorphized dust bunnies in print. Or are they the only dust bunnies in print?
Jan Polep
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Hysterical! Recommended for the preschool-third grade crowd (but any age will get a kick out of it), this small picture book is simply the best. Best 3 word title. Best depiction of dust bunnies. Best thing to read to bring on uncontrolled guffaws. Only thing that might be even better would be puppets playing all the parts. Gotta go find the rest of Jan Thomas' books.
Kimberly Bower MLIS (gladeslibrarian)
I absolutely love Rhyming Dust Bunnies. It is a library and story time favorite. It is a very engaging picture book about dust bunnies who love to rhyme but get into trouble because they are so in love with rhyming that they ignore Bob's warnings until it is too late. Fun introduction to rhyming words.
Carrie
Feb 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
My three-and-a-half year old loves this book. He laughs hysterically at the end and then insists: "Read it again!"

It's a fun, silly story with lots of bright colors and a chance for my son to practice his rhyming skills. Lots of fun.
Katherine Cowley
Oct 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, humor
This book made me laugh out loud. It is brilliant and hilarious. It loses the element of surprise after the first read, but not the charm. Also, every time one of the characters asks for a rhyme, I let me children give their own rhymes first, which they thoroughly enjoyed.
Molly
Feb 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I am joining the group of people who love this book. I laughed outloud made Lloyd read it he laughed out loud and I have been giggling about it in my brain all day long. I love these dust bunnies and want some of my own(ok I have some but they are not nearly as colorful). Ages 2+
Ambree
Feb 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Loved this book. Great book to use to support language development and knowledge of rhyming words.
Susan
Feb 27, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
It's no Birthday for Cow, that's for sure.
Amy
Oct 01, 2014 marked it as picture-books-read
Simple enough for a new reader, but even adults will enjoy it! Full review here: http://sunlitpages.blogspot.com/2014/...
Dawn
Jan 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Cute book for preschoolers.
Lara
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love the Rhyming Dust Bunnies! Big clear pictures with rather silly characters, plus word building skills - gotta love it.

I like using this one or it's sequel Here Comes the Big, Mean Dust Bunny! for storytimes with older kids, especially for storytimes on poems or rhymes. We don't follow the story exactly, but get the kids calling out rhyming words along with the bunnies. This works best with a little older storytime crowd - older preschoolers and kindergarteners. You know, once they're old
Miss Jenny
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Four dust bunnies have a conversation about words that rhyme and point out when Bob chooses words that don't.

I originally purchased Rhyming Dust Bunnies on the recommendation of another teacher but I never got around to using it as I changed grade level. I came across it again as I was sorting through my bookshelves trying to find age-appropriate ones for my children.

Both my kids seemed drawn to Bob. Bob, who has a lot of trouble working out the whole rhyming business but who has other strengths
Katherine Griffith
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Car far jar tar look! The rhyming dust bunnies Ed, Ned, Ted, and Bob, are good at rhyming, well almost all of them. Bob is not very good at keeping the rhyme going. However, Bob does save the dust bunnies from a broom! They go back to rhyming again, but another monster is coming now! Read the book to find out how the dust bunnies deal with their next trial.
A theme in the book is it is ok to be different. In the story, the different dust bunny (Bob) saved them from the broom because he didn't
Isabel Smith
This is a simple and funny picture book about 4 little dust bunnies who proclaim their love and enjoyment for rhyming words together. As they go through each of their rhymes, one of the dust bunnies yells things that do not rhyme with the others because he is trying to warn them of a potentially dangerous situation: the broom coming towards them to sweep them up! The cycle continues again until the find themselves stuck inside the vacuum cleaner. This book is a great way to introduce simple ...more
Alicia Evans
We read this today as one of the books in our puppet show. One staff member read the book while other staff helped act it out with puppets. We ended the show with this story and it is wonderfully funny. The kids loved it and asked us to do it again. The three dust bunnies rhyming and the one dust bunny who cannot rhyme anything make for a lot of laughs, and the book has a surprise ending. It's easy for multiple reading levels to appreciate and it will be one that I read again.

For: readers
Jenna
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Rhyming Dust Bunnies is a colorful and fun book to read aloud with young children. It is so much fun to see children's understanding of rhyming words come through by reading this book. Poor Bob appears to not know how to rhyme, but in reality he's probably the smartest Bunny of the bunch--continuously saving the rest from imminent danger! It is a fun fiction book that will engage young readers and listeners.

I can see using this book for practice with rhyming in the classroom. The teacher could
Katie Gharrity
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Author/Illustrator: Jan Thomas
Reading Level: 1.8
Book Level: Lower Grades

Summary: The dust bunnies love to rhyme but poor Bob keeps getting it wrong. The other dust bunnies do not realize Bob has something important to tell them instead of rhyming.

Classroom Use: This is a hilarious book to talk about rhyming with students. I like that is provides a non example to help students hear incorrect examples along with correct examples. I would also use this book to teach word choice and how as a writer

• Duck! Rabbit!
  • Shark vs. Train
  • Chicken Cheeks
  • I'm the Biggest Thing in the Ocean!
  • Grumpy Bird
  • Bark, George
  • Pigs Make Me Sneeze! (Elephant & Piggie, #10)
  • Falling for Rapunzel
  • The Book Hog
  • When Dinosaurs Came with Everything
  • Wiggle
  • Splat the Cat
When Jan Thomas isn't working on children's books, she's painting pictures, playing the drums, backpacking, or wrangling dust bunnies.