Start by marking “The Jam Queens” as Want to Read:
The Jam Queens

The Jam Queens

The heartwarming new family drama from the bestselling author of The Cake Maker's Wish

Award-winning jam maker Aggie is determined to take her Barossa Valley cafe to new heights. She has put the pain of unsuccessful IVF treatments and a broken relationship behind her, and is focused on the many wonderful possibilities life still holds in store.

When an invitation to travel a
Published April 13th 2021 by Penguin Michael Joseph

To ask other readers questions about The Jam Queens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Jam Queens

Start your review of The Jam Queens
Gloria Arthur
Mar 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-bookshelf
⭐️5 Stars⭐️
The Jam Queens by Josephine Moon is a captivating, original and heartwarming story. Pour yourself a cup of tea, grab a jam drop, turn off the phone, get comfy and experience how the author takes you on a wonderfully delightful journey brimming with family drama, hidden secrets, disasters and delicious food!

From the moment I starting reading through the pages I felt a sense of adventure, there is never a dull moment in the story. The characters are brilliantly portrayed and relatable.
Brenda
What a wonderful, heartwarming novel! Australian author Josephine Moon has hit another winner with The Jam Queens!

Set in the Barossa Valley in South Australia, just north of Adelaide, Aggie ran the Strawberry Sonnet, a sweet café which was popular with locals and tourists alike. Aggie, her mother Valeria, Myrtle and Dolce were all good cooks, while Aggie and Valeria entered their jams in the Royal Adelaide Show each year. Aggie’s daughter Holly lived and worked in the US but was home on holidays
Josephine Moon
Feb 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
In writing The Jam Queens, I had the chance to travel to the beautiful Barossa Valley to research Aggie's family's home town and to visit my foodie crush Maggie Beer's Farm Shop and eat her amazing food. I also got to travel on the world famous Ghan railway, travelling from the top of Australia to the very bottom, through the heart of our country. On this trip, I travelled with my sister, Amanda, and we had the most fabulous time. If you get the chance, I highly recommend you do the same! In The ...more
Helen
Apr 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Another awesome story from Josephine Moon filled with women from a strong family, a family that also needs to work through a few problems all while making me want to taste the beautiful jams these Queens are making. This story had me from page one as we get to know Aggie, Myrtle, Valeria, Holly and Dolce and take a trip on the Ghan, sit back and enjoy this fabulous story because you will not want to put it down.

Aggie runs a small café Strawberry Sonnets in the Barossa Valley in South Australia,
Marianne
Mar 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing
The Jam Queens is the seventh novel by Australian author, Josephine Moon. As a seventieth birthday gift to her niece, Myrtle, ever magnanimous, treats the Hermann women, Valeria, Aggie and Holly, to a trip on the Ghan. Myrtle’s regular travelling companion Dolce is, after over fifty years of friendship, an honorary member of the family, but still pays her own way. Five strong, smart, independent women who love each other, together on a plane, train and bus trips: what could go wrong?

Of Aggie’s r
Veronica ⭐️
Mar 23, 2021 rated it really liked it
Five women spanning four generations take a trip together on the Ghan hoping to smooth over old hurts and reconnect.

I really enjoyed the armchair travel on the Ghan and all the touristy day outings the characters embarked on.

Josephine Moon has included many topical issues spread between the women and many of these start out as little mysteries, so no spoilers here.

Aggie has the most on her plate. A rift to try and repair with her mother, a business that has an untimely problem, a daught
Carol -  Reading Writing and Riesling
Apr 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: aww, own
Such a satisfying read that sensitively discusses so many contemporary issues... without preaching. There is bound to be a character to here you recognise.
Chryssie
Feb 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
I have just finished reading this gorgeous book and I can’t stop smiling 😍 What an uplifting, sweet, funny, exciting, emotional and simply beautiful read!! I loved everything about it 💕

This incredible story follows four generations of women who embark on a journey together, both physically (by travelling through the middle of Australia aboard the Ghan) and also emotionally. As the iconic train makes its way across the magical and remote outback, these women find themselves forced to face their i
Claire
I thoroughly enjoyed Josephine Moon's previous novel The Cake Maker's Wish, so I was thrilled to receive a copy of her new novel The Jam Queen's and this novel did not disappoint. At nearly 400 pages, I read it well into the night two nights running because I just had to know how this group of five women (Dolce being an honourary family member), faired from their trip away together.

With secrets galore, clashing and challenging personalities, traumas, romance and more this made for a fabulous rea
Craig / Phil
Mar 29, 2021 rated it really liked it
Thank you Penguin for sending us a copy to read and review.
Josephine returns with another addictive family drama and the underlying food theme, you can almost smell the delicious aroma of bubbling jam.
Agatha runs a small cafe and dreams of taking it over from her aunt.
As her mother’s seventieth birthday approaches her meddling Aunt Myrtle decides to treat Agatha, her daughter Holly and birthday girl Valeria to a trip on The Ghan.
Myrtle’s decades long friendship with Dolce, a honorary member of t
Debra
Mar 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Such a lovely book; heartbreaking and heartwarming in equal measure. A beautiful story with complex but totally relatable family dynamics.

This is a story about families and adventure but also about individual courage and strength.  Life’s journey is full of ups and downs but love and support make all the difference.

It’s so nice to become immersed in a story, to be swept away with an easy, enjoyable, uplifting book that I raced through, so keen to find out what happened !!

The descriptions of
Tracey Anderson
Apr 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
The Jam Queens is both heartbreaking and heartwarming. When Myrtle the matriarch of the family decides to treat her niece Valeria and and the rest of the family to a trip on the Ghan for Valeria’s 70th birthday it’s hoped that it will bring them all closer. Along for the ride is Myrtle’s best friend Dolce. To say there is tension between the different generations is an understatement and with such close quarters it’s not long before things start to go down hill. I loved the multiple POV’s but wa ...more
Hirell Ryan
Mar 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I recently received an ARC copy of The jam queens by Josephine Moon thanks to #BRPreviews and #PenguinRandomHouse. Like all of Josephine's books, (which I seriously love), they're like a warm hug, enveloping and immersing you into the lives of the characters depicted, almost always involving plot lines surrounding food. This treasure is set in South Australia focusing on the Barossa Valley and a getaway on the luxurious Ghan to celebrate Valeria's milestone birthday it makes an extended family g ...more
Bec
Apr 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
𝚆𝚎 𝚊𝚛𝚎 𝚊 𝚏𝚊𝚖𝚒𝚕𝚢 𝚘𝚏 𝙹𝚊𝚖 𝚀𝚞𝚎𝚎𝚗𝚜

Award winning jam maker Aggie owns a small cafe in the Barossa Valley. She's currently single, after breaking up with her partner Gideon due to failed IVF attempts and the loss of their still born daughter. Aggie is also mother to Holly, who she gave birth to at the age of sixteen.

There isn't a close relationship between Aggie and her own mother, Valeria. Valeria is very judgemental, bossy and interfering towards her daughter (and the rest of society it seems). Beca
Janine
Mar 10, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-review
The Jam Queens is the latest offering by Queensland author Josephine Moon and I thoroughly enjoyed it! Aggie is the owner of her little cafe in the Barossa Valley and is a second generation Jam Queen with her mother Valeria being the reigning one. With Valeria's 70th birthday on the horizon Aggie's great aunt decides to shout everyone a trip on The Ghan to celebrate. Aggie has always loved her great aunt who has supported her every step of the way since she was a 16yo single mother as her mother ...more
Book Clubber
Mar 29, 2021 rated it liked it
I defy anyone not to feel like a jam biscuit after setting eyes on Josephine Moon’s latest novel, The Jam Queens.
This is a story as sweet as its cover, but it’s the sticky subplots that hook you in. Aggie is our leading lady. Aggie is 45 years old. She had her daughter, Holly, at age 16. Her conservative mother kicked her out of home and she was taken in by her great-aunt Myrtle, who has been there for her through thick and thin. The four generations of women are now on a train adventure to cele
Sue Anderson
Recommends it for: Everyone
Hi there, my name is Aggie and I want to take you on a journey with my family, who are all noted Jam Queens who have won in the Royal Adelaide Show.
I run a lovely cafe called “Strawberry Sonnet” in the town of Angaston, in the Barossa Valley, South Australia, which is owned by my great Aunt Myrtle.
My Mum's 70th birthday is coming up and Myrtle suggest we all, including my daughter Holly, and Myrtle’s dear friend Dolce, take a trip on The Ghan.
What a wonderful trip it was too, with all the places
Marie-Louise Willis
Mar 31, 2021 rated it it was amazing
The Jam Queens is another fabulous (and delicious) novel by one of my favourite authors, Josephine Moon, following the adventures of a four generations of women as they take a journey together through the heart of Australia while exploring the emotional journey of what keeps them apart, and more importantly, binds them together.

The descriptions of the trip are vivid and breathtaking - I’m sure there will be many, many readers booking (or saving up to book) similar adventures on the Ghan (I know
Pamela Schoenwald
Apr 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book, it took me on a wonderful a train journey, to the point where I now want to do it. I loved the connection between all the females it was beautiful.
I did not know about the business of frozen embryos and their time limitations, so I learned something very interesting.

I was stunned to read about how in the USA they do mock up shootings and invasions in schools and now know they actually do, which really shocked me and I personally think they would do more harm and le
Bill Traves
Apr 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Australian author Josephine’s best book yet! What does this book not have? Great characters and story set in the beautiful Northern Territory to Adelaide on the Ghan train. Set around a generation of jam makers as usual Josephine captures the joy of food with sumptuous descriptions of jam and the incredible detail that goes into making it. Loved the relatable romance , the drama and tension throughout. A fabulous read highly highly recommend !
Denise Ackers
Mar 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I loved it. Have enjoyed all Josephine’s books. The Jam Queens takes place in my home state and Angaston is not far from where I live. I just found this story so relatable. My family loves cooking, we like Maggie Beer and we want to take my mum on the Ghan. I like too that none of the characters are ‘perfect’ - they all have their flaws. But they love each other and want what’s best for them. Great read.
Thanks Better Reads for the chance to read this book and review it.
Karen
Mar 16, 2021 rated it really liked it
The Jam Queens is a heartwarming read, a lovely story of four generations of women, all travelling on the Ghan for a holiday. Typical of most families, there are some differences of opinion, and as the reader, I found myself cheering for a character at times, and wanting to slap one at others. This book is a fun read, so grab a cup of tea and a jam drop, and curl up in front of the fire to enjoy it.
Lisa Griffiths
Mar 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful read about a typical Australian family, set amongst iconic landmarks, this tale addresses contemporary issues faced by many of us, alongside complex relationships that are often our closest. Loved all of it, particularly the relationship between Valeria and Aggie, and the grace that was extended that provided hope for everyone involved. 💙
Antonia Greville
Apr 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant original story set on the Ghan with a captivating drama playing out between the generations . As always with Josephine moons delightful books it’s more than goody fiction it has a lot of depth. I cared for all the characters journeys not just the main character Aggie. Reads like a movie playing out an engrossing charming read. Highly highly recommend .
Mary-Lou Stephens
Apr 13, 2021 rated it really liked it
Another delicious and heart-warming novel from an expert in this field, Josephine Moon. Josephine's deft touch when it comes to family, relationships, heartbreak and hope shines in The Jam Queens. It's funny, sad, warm, fascinating and heartfelt. ...more
Kt
Apr 17, 2021 rated it really liked it
4 stars
Brian Schoenwald
Apr 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Another fabulous journey we are taken by this wonderful author. Josephine really makes her characters seem real and relatable. Highly recommend.
Gail

• The Perfect Daughter
  • The Last Bookshop
  • Shiver
  • The Chase
  • Sensible Shoes: A Story about the Spiritual Journey (Sensible Shoes #1)
Hello! I live in the Noosa hinterland in Australia and now have the great pleasure of writing warm-hearted, feel good, contemporary fiction books for a living. I am published in Australia, NZ, UK, Ireland, Norway, Greece and Germany. I'm so grateful to everyone who buys and reads my books. Thank you! ...more