Start by marking “Cackle” as Want to Read:
Cackle

Cackle

3.70  ·  Rating details ·  13,309 ratings  ·  2,608 reviews
All her life, Annie has played it nice and safe. After being unceremoniously dumped by her longtime boyfriend, Annie seeks a fresh start. She accepts a teaching position that moves her from Manhattan to a small village upstate. She’s stunned by how perfect and picturesque the town is. The people are all friendly and warm. Her new apartment is dreamy too, minus the oddly pe ...more
Published October 5th 2021 by Berkley Books

To ask other readers questions about Cackle, please sign up.
Leslie Pressley It's more of a Mentor/maternal relationship. Although Sophie definately is in the dominate role. She often refers to Annie as Pet.…moreIt's more of a Mentor/maternal relationship. Although Sophie definately is in the dominate role. She often refers to Annie as Pet.(less)
Lelouch if you specifically want romance, then not really.

if you specifically want romance, then not really.

if you are trying to avoid romance, then yes it has some romantic themes. she breaks up with her ex-boyfriend which keeps popping up throughout the story when everything reminds her of sam. throughout the story she's pining for a man in her life, and sophie keeps telling her to rely on herself for happiness. and she has a double date around halfway the book. i'm only ~60% of the way so might be more later.(less)

·  13,309 ratings  ·  2,608 reviews

Start your review of Cackle
MarilynW
Aug 17, 2021 rated it really liked it
Cackle by Rachel Harrison

The synopsis for this book is misleading. It mentions that the story is dark, funny, and frightening but it didn't seem dark or frightening to me, when seen through the eyes of Annie, the main character. Even though Annie is sad due to her boyfriend of ten years dumping her (he says eight years but maybe really six years...how is that for not seeing the past the way your boyfriend sees it), the story has a lighthearted feel to it. Sure, you might not want to be a bully o
Nilufer Ozmekik
Jul 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Happy publishing day to this bizarre, extremely smart, quirky, outstanding thriller! 🥳📚🕷🕸

I know that most of you start cackling so loud as soon as finish this book.

It’s freaking weird, eerie, disturbing! But this is great kind of weirdness combined with originality, uniqueness, absurdity and balanced dosage of sarcasm with feminism and girl power messages I truly enjoy!

I liked this batsh*t crazy journey a lot! My casting choice for Annie is Emma Stone and my choice for actress who should play
megs_bookrack
After Annie's boyfriend, Sam, breaks up with her, she's devastated. Sure, maybe they have gotten too comfortable lately, but she can't imagine life without him.

As a school teacher, she knows she can't afford to live on her own in Manhattan, and at 30-years old, she's too old to get a roommate. Sam is keeping their apartment and Annie agrees she'll move on; away from the city

She applies for a teaching position in a small town in Upstate New York and when it is offered to her, she accepts.

After th
Ellie Spencer
Nov 21, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is exactly the kind of book I really crave in the autumn.

Cackle follows Annie who has recently broken up with her long time boyfriend and moved to a new town where she meets Sophie. But, all is not as it seems with her new friend. Can Annie ever get over her ex-boyfriend? Is she safe?

I haven’t read a witchy book in so long, this really hit the spot for me. This is an absolutely perfect book for October/Halloween but would be enjoyable at any time of year. I loved the creepy horror moments
Regina
Oct 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
If stories had color palettes, Cackle’s would be an ombre fade of white gradually turning to black. This is a book that vibes hard, though the vibes vary big time.

What starts out feeling like a NYC-set romcom slides through magical realism on its way to paranormal before ending with a wee bit of witchy horror. It’s almost like a writers’ relay, where chapters might have been written by different authors in the following order:

- Christina Lauren
- Sarah Addison Allen
- Alice Hoffman
- Anne Rice

Cack
Irena BookDustMagic
Oct 19, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: buddy-reads
Let's make one thing clear: 👏This is not a thriller! This is not a horror! 👏
To be a thriller, it has to play with your (or at least the MC's) mind, to be a horror, it has to have at least one character dead/murdered (or in danger of the same) and at least one gory scene.

(Not) Sorry to spoil you, but this has non of that.

This is cozy women's fiction with paranormal (witchy, perfect for Halloween) elements that can also be categorized as feminist novel and that is it!!

It was weird, I'll give it t
Jayme
NOW AVAILABLE!

How should you spend Halloween this year? 🕷🕸
A. Eat way too much chocolate 🍫 because you have an excuse to do so.
B. Read Cackle and learn to discover your inner 🧙🏻‍♀️ Witch.
C. Both answers are correct.

The answer is C-both answers are correct!

Sam and Annie. Annie and Sam. They have been a couple for 10 years, and Annie thought the next step was marriage while Sam thought it was to break up and be “just friends”.

Yeah-that old line.

So, Annie has accepted a new teaching job upstate
Holly  B
3.5 STARS

Hocus Pocus

This one has more giggles than screams, so no need to be frightened! Maybe a few goosebumps!

The story is about Annie finding her true self after a twelve year long break-up with her boyfriend, Sam.

Annie moves to a small village and meets a charming unconvential friend, Sophie. Her home is enormous, beautiful and as enchanting as she is. They become good friends. They spend time together drinking tea, playing dress-up, trying on her collection of hats, making caramel apples an
Dorie  - Cats&Books :)
YOU WILL NEVER LOOK AT A SPIDER THE SAME AGAIN !!!!! 🕷🕸

I love all things witchy, so I was immediately drawn to this book, love the cover!!!

Don’t be too afraid to read this one, you will meet some wonderful characters that you can root for and have some great life lessons reaffirmed.

Annie has just turned 30. She is leaving Manhattan where she has lived for 10 years. Her boyfriend since she was a teen has broken up with her. After 10 years he thinks they should stay “friends” but move on. Annie i
Catherine (alternativelytitledbooks)
**Many thanks to Edelweiss, Berkley, and Rachel Harrison for a DRC in exchange for an honest review! Now available in paperback!**

To make a Cackle-worthy witch's brew, take:

*one part sass
*two parts angst
*a splash of spooky seasoning
and a HEARTY helping of magic to taste!

Annie is aching to embrace her heartbreak and use it as fuel for a new life. She has left her apartment in NYC and her ex Sam behind, and is taking a chance on a unique small town that seems to have everything, including that coz
Gabby
This could’ve been a new favorite, I loved the beginning so much, but then it got kind of repetitive and the main character started to annoy me 😅 love the concept though!

Reading vlog: https://youtu.be/1-Q5QE_faPY
Madison Calhoun
Oct 09, 2021 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audio, paranormal
Okay then... this is one of those times where I truly wonder if I've read the same book as everyone else. People are blindly praising this novel without acknowledging how screwed up Annie and Sophie are. There aren't that many reviews yet, so I'm going to make a note to myself to check back here at the end of the month and see if anything changes.

There are a whole slew of witchy books I want to read that are coming out this October, but Cackle was at the top of my list. I think I was mistaken ab
Lala BooksandLala
Dec 12, 2021 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror
reading all the goodreads horror nominees https://youtu.be/XGfWQh5Ou_c ...more
Ceecee
Sep 01, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Annie Crane needs a fresh start when her long term relationship with Sam is over, he thinks they should stay friends and move on. Whatever, Sam! She accepts a teaching position in upstate New York and goes to live in Rowan. It’s a perfect picture postcard of a place, too perfect? She finds a lovely apartment and oh, just to tip the balance there are rather a lot of spiders in it, I’ll show myself out! She meets beautiful Sophie and feels like they’re not strangers who are just meeting. However, ...more
Em
Feb 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing
If you got to the end of Midsommar and thought "good for her," this book is for you. ...more
Frank Phillips
Oct 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing
What a refreshing, original, spooky read!!

Cackle is a horror / comedy written by Rachel Harrison, who happened to write my favorite horror novel of 2020, titled The Return. That being said, I had very high expectations going into this, which I know can be a recipe for disaster - however I am pleased to say that was not the case with this book! While this novel was nowhere near as sinister as her debut, it was nonetheless incredibly enjoyable and I can say I'm continually impressed by Harrison as
Marci carol
Jan 11, 2022 rated it liked it
Fun read with lots of magic! You must like spiders. I was like they are obsessed with them. It grew on me. Lol. I ended up liking Ralph. Who would have thought? So that’s real good character development. It seemed odd and unrealistic, but I got over it.
Annie is in New York City living with her boyfriend and they break up. She moves to upper state New York in a very small quaint town and becomes great friends with Sophie who is a witch. She develops from a shy inward person to one that is indepe
Toni
Sep 02, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What an unusual story! I loved Rachel Harrison's quirky, funny writing with some very dark and sad vibes and found myself relating to Annie,the protagonist of the story, and her journey of self-discovery.
I would definitely recommend it to my blog readers, especially in October as this is a perfect October read- spooky, but without any gore (unless you count the German restaurant scene :-))
Nancy (Trying  to catch up with reviews)
Annie gets dumped by her boyfriend of 10 years, so she takes a teaching position and moves out of NYC to a small town upstate NY where she meets beautiful and charismatic Sophie. Never one to have many friends, Annie quickly bonds with mysterious Sophie and learns that there is much more to her than meets the eye.

Cackle wasn't what I was expecting, but it was different and gave me the witchy feels I've been craving this Halloween season. The tone of the story starts out light, then gets a bit da
Meisha (ALittleReader)
Looking for a deliciously wicked treat to throw into your cauldron of Halloween Reads? Look no further!

This is literally the PERFECT witchy Halloween book! This has small town vibes filled with feminism, cutesy and sometimes spine tingling supernatural happenings. Pretty much everything you could want in a fun book for the spooky season. However, please don't go into this expecting it to be straight up horror. Although it has horror elements, horror is not what this is per se. I would say this i
Elaine
I was looking forward to reading Cackle especially right before Halloween but this disappointed though the premise was spot on.

My biggest caveat was how much I despised Annie. She is the mascot of dicks before chicks.

She whines constantly about being alone, needing a man in her life; she is that chick whose life can only be fulfilled by a dick.

And, yes, her ex-boyfriend of 10 years is a dick.

She also has a drinking problem.

It's clear that I would not be Annie's friend.

She personifies what I
Jenny Lawson
Sep 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
If you're looking for a witchy Halloween book that's more light-hearted than scary this is a good one. ...more
Carrie
Aug 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
While Cackle by Rachel Harrison is technically a paranormal horror novel this one is not overly scary horror but more on the humorous side. There are a few moments that could give a reader chills but this is more like a chicklit paranormal. Think of what a cozy mystery does with a murder instead of a darker thriller and then you’ll be more on the right track of what you may find in Cackle.

At only thirty Annie has spent the last ten years of her life with the man she thought she would be with for
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
This is totally my face anytime I find a witchy book.

I've seen this book shelved as horror. I must be jaded because honestly it was a bit fluffy for me. Annie has been dumped by her boyfriend. (Who just wanted to be friends for the last six months that they were together.) She takes a new job and moves to a picture perfect small town. Once there she makes friends with a woman named Sophie.
Now Annie has a ton of whine time in this book. I'm sorry. I know you have a right to whine when life i
Lucy
Oct 09, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2021, audiobooks, fantasy
This story is about Annie's journey of growth and self-discovery. It wasn't quite what I expected, but it still turned out to be a good one for October 🎃. It's:
👻 Spooky
🕷Creepy
🧙‍♀️ Witchy
Unfortunately, it's also preachy. So much focus is placed on Annie's empowerment, that kindness and friendship are diminished. I wasn't expecting that and felt it took away from the story. The premise is interesting, but the execution fell short.

This isn't a horror story, and I was actually glad for that.
Rachel
Feb 25, 2022 rated it it was amazing
What a smashing book, I loved the message! This was a humorous and touching book about empowerment and self-actualization, with a magical spin. This really isn’t horror, although there are a few creepy scenes. I can see why some people would be disgruntled at finding a mash up of genres they weren’t necessarily expecting, but it was a nice surprise for me. Much different than anything I’ve read recently.
I would really give it 6 stars because of Ralph the spider, he was flipping adorable.
Michelle
Jan 08, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2022, a-z-2022
I enjoyed Cackle. Rachel Harrison's writing is easy to read and entertaining. I wouldn't consider this horror, but a fun and sometimes dark fantasy. I'll definitely be looking forward to more from this author. ...more
Anne
” It’s best not to be specific with wishes. Otherwise, you end up getting what you think you want instead of what you really need.”

Cackle is a weird and mildly spooky (and spidery) tale. At its core it’s about believing in one’s self-worth. I thought of it is a blend of genres. Fantasy, gentle horror, and chick-lit sans humor. This is not a romance in case you’re wondering.

Thirty-year-old Annie needs a new job, a new place to live - a new life - after being dumped by her long-term boyfriend. A
Alma Katsu
Apr 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cackle delivers a lesson that every woman needs to hear: embrace your inner witch! Sweet, sinister, and 100 percent delightful, this is the Disney movie we all need.
Sadie Hartmann
Oct 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cemetery-dance
Review originally published at Cemetery Dance (October 27th, 2021)

Cackle by Rachel Harrison is a mixed bag of emotions. The story centers on Annie Crane, a woman looking for a fresh start after her boyfriend moves their relationship into the friendzone. She leaves the city for a quaint, little rental in a small town.

Things do not go well. Annie is consumed with her feelings about the break-up and her new job at the local high school is only adding to her l
Goodreads Librari...: CACKLE default edition 2 20 Aug 04, 2022 07:36PM

• The Very Secret Society of Irregular Witches
  • Small Town, Big Magic
  • The Kiss Curse (The Ex Hex, #2)
  • Payback's a Witch (The Witches of Thistle Grove, #1)
  • In the Company of Witches (Evenfall Witches B&B, #1)
  • What Moves the Dead
  • The Ex Hex (The Ex Hex, #1)
  • Just Like Home
  • Suburban Hell
  • The Witches of Moonshyne Manor
  • Hide
  • Comfort Me with Apples
  • Nothing But Blackened Teeth
  • From Bad to Cursed (The Witches of Thistle Grove, #2)
  • The Dead Romantics
  • Hidden Pictures
  • Sign Here
  • House of Hunger
See top shelves…
Rachel Harrison is the author of The Return, nominated for a Bram Stoker Award for Superior Achievement in a First Novel. Her short fiction has appeared in Guernica and Electric Lit. She lives in New York with her husband and their cat/overlord.

Librarian note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.

Articles featuring this book

Time is ticking! If you’re currently participating in the 2022 Goodreads Reading Challenge, autumn is a good season to check your progress and...
“I’d forgotten the difference between choosing not to participate and being excluded.” 5 likes
“It’s best not to be specific with wishes. Otherwise, you end up getting what you think you want instead of what” 2 likes