Start by marking “Reading Between the Crimes (Jane Doe Book Club Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
Reading Between the Crimes (Jane Doe Book Club Mystery, #2)

Reading Between the Crimes

(Jane Doe Book Club Mystery #2)

Perfect for fans of Ellery Adams and Kate Carlisle, the members of the Jane Doe Book Club are on the case as Kate Young's peachy-keen Georgia-set mystery series comes back for seconds.

What better time than Halloween to dig into a bracing discussion of a diabolical murder mystery? And what better choice for the Jane Doe Book Club than Agatha Christie's Crooked House? Ly
Expected publication: September 7th 2021 by Crooked Lane Books

To ask other readers questions about Reading Between the Crimes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reading Between the Crimes

Start your review of Reading Between the Crimes (Jane Doe Book Club Mystery, #2)
BonnieM☂️
May 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
I really enjoyed this book. The story line was great with all the twists and turns to keep the reader guessing. The characters were well suited for the story. I wish that there was more interaction and romance between Lyla and Brad as he was in the outskirts of the story. The ending was not what I expected with Charles and the family and his interest in Kyla. I am looking forward the the 3rd in the series in the next chapter of the Jane Doe Book Club.

Thanking you NetGalley and Crooked Lane Books
Lisa Morin
Apr 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Wow, I was absolutely gobsmacked while I was reading this book.
The plot is really unbelievable, and I did not expect the reveal to be so good.
Lyla Moody is a fun character, and her Jane Doe book club sounds fascinating.
Kate Young has spun a wicked tale in Reading Between the Crimes. Be sure to add this book to your TBR pile.
Ali Bunke
Book 2 in the Jane Doe Book Club series, Reading Between the Crimes finds Lyla Moody in the middle of an investigation for a murder which happened at her parents house. Her friend and book club member has becomes the prime suspect, but the more Lyla digs the closer to home to trail leads.

I enjoyed Lyla as our heroine and her bookish friends. Lyla’s grandmother is funny an sometimes steals the show. Best of all I did not see the ending coming.

Thank you NetGalley for the eArc.
Lizzie Rhoades
Apr 28, 2021 marked it as did-not-finish
DNF at 45%. I love a good book themed murder mystery, but I'm so struggling to get into this one. The main character is boring and kitschy and the other characters aren't making up for it so far. Unheard of for me to stop reading a mystery but I was too bored to continue. ...more
Amber
Apr 25, 2021 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2021, lady-authors
I wanted to like this book.

I always like the premise of so-called "cozy mysteries" but I haven't found any series yet that has just wowed me. This book seemed like it could fit the bill, so I was incredibly disappointed when I hit about 50% and realized it just wasn't what I expected.

Firstly, the description of the book doesn't match up to the plot of the book.

"What better time than Halloween to dig into a bracing discussion of a diabolical murder mystery?"

Halloween played zero role in this bo
Angela Sanford
Apr 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I honestly thought the first book in the Jane Doe Book Club Mystery Series was outstanding and could not be beat, but I was definitely wrong! Reading Between the Crimes had my attention from page one! In this second installment, the beautiful town of Sweet Mountain, Georgia, is rocked by a murder that has taken place at the Moody's residence during a charitable function. Not only is it at our favorite private investigator, Lyla's parents home, in attendence is the Chief of police, Quinn Daniels. ...more
Bobbie Kirkland
Apr 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Through NetGalley, I received a free copy of READING BETWEEN THE CRIMES (Book 2 of the Jane Doe Book Club Mysteries) by Kate Young in exchange for an honest review. The Jane Doe Book Club has just discussed Agatha Christie’s Crooked House when a murder at the Moody residence seems to uncannily echo the novel. After the book club meeting, Lyla Moody takes her grandmother home where Lyla’s parents are hosting a charity event. Once there, Lyla and her mother discover the body of Leonard Richardson; ...more
Marissa
Apr 12, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kindle Copy for Review from NetGalley and Crooked Lane Books.

I received a free, advance copy of this book and this is my unbiased and voluntary review.

The book club is debating a diabolical murder mystery and whether the heroine actions are believable. Soon the town will face an eerie similar murder as in the book.

A charity event that Lyla’s mom is throwing turns quickly into a deadly situation when Lyla and her grandmother on arrival stumble over a dead body. The victim appeared to be robbed a
Allieveryday
Apr 21, 2021 rated it liked it
An OK book overall, not a series I'll keep up with.

The mystery plot held my attention while other parts of the book were turning me off. And even that ended with...well not a bang. All the pieces start coming together but loosely and it didn't feel neatly wrapped up, it needed more time or pages to explain.

The book opens and ends with the Jane Doe's but they have nothing to do in between, just felt odd when most books of the genre would tie that in to the mystery solving. (Ok, the book club's c
FMSWarrior
Apr 16, 2021 rated it really liked it
Lyla Moody lives in a small Georgia town where she grew up. Working for her uncle’s PI company, Lyla knows a thing or two about investigation and when a friend’s husband is murdered, Lyla vows to help clear her name.

Soon it becomes evident that Lyla’s mother is keeping secrets as she stands up for Lyla’s friend and takes her under her wing without even a word to Lyla about it. So much is going on and somehow, her mother is tied up into the murder mystery and Lyla has to wonder, how well does sh
Lisa
May 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Halloween is a great time to dig in to a new murder mystery. And what better book for the Jane Doe Book Club but the Agatha Christie’s Crooked house. Lyla Moody and her friends are soon involved in a murder that echoes the novel in question.

When Lyla and her grandmother show up at a charity event that Lyla’s mother is hosting at the family’s house they stumble across the dead body of the husband of one of the Jane Doe’s friends.

While trying to solve the murder Lyla stumbles across secrets from h
Jackie
Apr 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I’m so blown away with my love for this series! I didn’t think I could love it anymore than I did until I read this! Lyla has become one of my favorite characters by far. After stumbling upon a body at a charity event that her mom is hosting Lyla knows this one is different than her other cases especially when it hits home. Lyla has grown in many ways since we last saw her and seems to be doing quite well. This latest mystery becomes very personal and Lyla will risk everything to solve it. ...more
Jessica
Apr 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I just finished a fantastic cozy mystery that I think you will all LOVE! Thank you Kate Young, NetGalley and Crooked Lane Books for my ARC copy of Reading Between the Crimes!

What is better than a cozy mystery set in a cozy little town in Georgia?

One that also features a book club that loves reading mysteries as much as I do! Sleuth, Lyla Moody, works as a PI for her uncle Calvin and wastes no time putting those skills to use when friend Harper Richardson is on trial for a murder.

The suspicion
Margie
Apr 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Lyla Moody is on the case. She and her grandmother find the dead body of her friend Harper's husband in the library of her parents' home during a fundraiser being held there. Harper is charged with her husband's murder. Lyla is determined to solve the murder case because she does not believe her friend Harper could be guilty. The twists and turns as this mystery gets solved will take readers on a very exciting reading journey. Between the Crimes by Kate Young is the second book in her Jane Doe B ...more
Rebecca Sims
Apr 16, 2021 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book and would recommend it to others who enjoy this genre.

The main character was interesting and endearing. I enjoyed the dynamics of the friendship group and was rooting for Lyla at the end.

I was invested in the mystery element of the story and found it was well written and new facts arose at appropriate intervals.

I would definitely read the next book in the series.

Thank you to the author and NetGalley for gifting me this arc in exchange for an honest, unbiased
Joy Whiteside
Apr 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
OMG, this is an amazing book that once you start there will be no putting it down until you have finished it. The characters are so amazing that you feel as though you know them and you want to be there for them to support them through everything that they need to achieve. The story will grab you and keep you reading till you are done. This book is one of the best that I have read this year and I hope that this series will continue as I cant wait to see what will happen next. This book needs to ...more
Jan
Lyla works for her uncle in his PI office, lives alone because she doesn't care to live with her wealthy dysfunctional parents (and her fun Grandmother), belongs to a book club devoted to solving fictional crimes and works on cold cases for fun. This is a quick and twisty read with great characters both good and not. The publisher's blurb is a good hook so I won't do the summary thing, and spoilers are in such bad taste.
I requested and received a free temporary ebook copy from Crooked Lane Book
Mary C
May 05, 2021 rated it really liked it
Second in the Jane Doe Book Club Mysteries.
Lyla Moody and her grandmother arrive at a charity event that Lyla's mother is holding. Shortly after, they discover a body in the library - the husband of Harper Robinson, a friend of the Jane Does. As Lyla investigates the murder with her friends, she has a hard time understanding her mother's unwavering support for Harper. Secrets are revealed - the ending was a complete surprise.
Great addition to the series - can't wait to read the next book.
Lacey Harrington
May 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE this series! I would love to be a member in the Jane Doe Book Club. Lyla Moody drops her grandmother off while her mother is hosting a charity event. Unfortunately, a man is murdered and Lyla is determined to find the killer. It opens up many secrets her mother has been keeping it secret. I can’t wait for the next. It’s like hanging with a group of friends!

#ReadingBetweentheCrimes #NetGalley
Tristan (tristans_library)
I really loved the Jane Doe book club aspect of this novel! The friendships are wonderfully sweet. It was neat to learn more about one of Agatha Christie's mysteries (as I've never read any of them but I love the story of her life). Overall, this felt like a typical cozy mystery for me. Well done, interesting and enjoyable. ...more
Renee Winter
Apr 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing
The Jane Doe Book Club mystery series is fast becoming a favorite series of mine. In this the second book Lyla and her grandmother find a friend's husband dead. Lyla is determined to find the real killer. Lots of plot twists and turns make this a suspenseful cozy! Enjoy! Thanks #netgalley for the eARC in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are mine. ...more
Karen Fan
May 10, 2021 rated it really liked it
This is the second book in the series, but first one I’ve read, and I’m glad I’ve been introduced to this early on! The story was good and the mystery was very well done; I kind of guessed a bit of it, but was still very surprised by the ending in a good way.
Callie Nybo
Apr 13, 2021 rated it really liked it
This was such a fun read. I honestly wish I could have a Jane Does club as well.

The twists and turns were super fun to read through and I was pleasantly surprised with the ending of the book. This is definitely one to read if you love mysteries.
Cynthia Moore
Apr 18, 2021 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. It is a good entry to the cozy genre. I did read the first book in the series so I was glad to see this one come out.
Heather
Apr 13, 2021 rated it really liked it
If you like a quick read that you’ll love, grab this cozy mystery! Twists and turns keep your guessing. The pace keeps you going.
Pat Cray-Hollis
Karen
Mar 01, 2021
Lauren Curry
Mar 02, 2021
Goodreads Librari...: Book linked to wrong author profile 3 113 Feb 24, 2021 10:22AM

• Murder by the Bookend
  • Digging Up Trouble
  • Two Wicked Desserts (Kitchen Witch Mysteries, #2)
  • Slashing Through the Snow (Christmas Tree Farm Mystery, #3)
  • Mango, Mambo, and Murder
  • In Hot Water
  • Wining and Dying
  • Mrs. Morris and the Sorceress (A Salem B&B Mystery #4)
  • Death in Bloom: A Flower House Mystery
  • Deadly Ever After (Lighthouse Library Mystery, #8)
  • Treble at the Jam Fest (A Food Lovers' Village Mystery, #4)
  • Murder in a Teacup
  • A Glimmer of a Clue
  • Be My Ghost
  • Murder with Orange Pekoe Tea (A Daisy's Tea Garden Mystery #7)
  • Cajun Kiss of Death: A Cajun Country Mystery
  • A Hex for Danger (An Enchanted Bay Mystery #2)
  • Death and Sensibility (A Jane Austen Society Mystery, #2)
Kate Young writes Southern mystery novels. She is a member of Sisters in Crime and the Guppy Chapter. Kate lives in a small town in Georgia with her husband, three kids, and Shih Tzu. When she is not writing her own books, she’s reading or cooking.

Jane Doe Book Club Mystery (2 books)
  • On Borrowed Crime (Jane Doe Book Club Mystery, #1)