Start by marking “The Secrets of Consulting: A Guide to Giving and Getting Advice Successfully” as Want to Read:
The Secrets of Consulting: A Guide to Giving and Getting Advice Successfully

The Secrets of Consulting: A Guide to Giving and Getting Advice Successfully

If you are a consultant, ever use one, or want to be one, this book will show you how to succeed.With wit, charm, humor, and wisdom, Gerald M. Weinberg shows you exactly how to become a more effective consultant. He reveals specific techniques and strategies that really work.

Through the use of vividly memorable rules, laws, and principles -- such as The Law of Raspberry Ja
Published January 1st 1985 by Dorset House Publishing Company, Incorporated

To ask other readers questions about The Secrets of Consulting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secrets of Consulting

How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale CarnegieThe 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. CoveyThink and Grow Rich by Napoleon HillGood to Great by James C. CollinsGetting Things Done by David    Allen
Best Business Books
699 books — 1,348 voters
Drive by Daniel H. PinkCoaching Agile Teams by Lyssa AdkinsThe 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. CoveyThe Lean Startup by Eric RiesAgile Retrospectives by Esther Derby
Agile Coaching
125 books — 77 voters

More lists with this book...

Ryan
Sep 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
A quick read and actually pretty utilitarian. Weinberg has that peculiar sense of humor of older "systems" (i.e. computer science) guys - an unhealthy love of puns, alliteration, riddles, goofy parables, etc - but it doesn't interfere with the clarity of his messages. This is not "consulting" as a methodology or a framework akin to what one may expect from a McKinsey or HBS alum. By his own description Weinberg sees the role of the consultant less as a problem solver and more as a "jiggler"; som ...more
Alan
Jan 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: management
One of the best and most enjoyable business books I've read. Certainly on my top 10 list.

I came across this in some IT book club -- it was a $30 paperback and I was aghast. Have since probably bought and given out 50 copies (Gerry, you can send thanks) to engineers, auditors, and others who need to bring humor and sense to situations.

It has sayings: "Things are the way they are because they got that way." Remember it.
Cori
This book is a very quick read because it is a bunch of ProTips smashed together. I had a co-worker tell me that this is a book from the point of view of an old school consultant. I think the consulting work I will be doing will somewhat relate to what Weinberg has written, but it will also be more structured as well.

(view spoiler)
Ushan
Dec 11, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: engineering
The author has been a consultant since age 13, when he worked at a local supermarket as a substitute stock boy, noticed that no one was buying the rutabagas, and suggested to the produce manager that they be thrown away, and their shelf space be utilized for something with greater turnover. The produce manager told Weinberg that this was a great idea, did as he was told, and asked him, "Now, what is the least popular vegetable?" Weinberg learned the lesson for good: if a consultant solves the cu ...more
Du Nguyen
Nov 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
The Secrets of Consulting by Gerald Weinberg is a book about the learning and wisdom of Weinberg's consulting career.

The Secrets of Consulting from the outset seems like it is specifically aimed at consultants or perhaps employees in larger corporations but as soon as you read it, you instantly become aware that this book contains advice and wisdom for your life. While all of the advice usually centers around consulting cases it is most of the times applicable for your life as well. As a result
Sergey Shishkin
Sep 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Very thought provoking and humorous book. Although it leaves the reader with more questions than answers it definitely contains numerous advice on the subject. I only wish I read it before I started to be a consultant.
Oleksii Burdin
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Laws of life, with a great Jerry Weinberg's spice!
Alexander Trofimov
Nov 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-best
Best
Sanity
Checklist
Ever.
If something going wrong, probably it's you. If it's not you then it's definitely other people. But never tools or situation.
Read and check yourselves.
Michael Richardson
Feb 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Worth reading for everyone involved in business.
Teddy Zetterlund
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Finished the book in three days and enjoyed it very much.

Afterwards I wish I’d read it earlier, and I’d like to compare it with How to Win Friends and Influence People. Both books introduce a lot of principles, backed by enjoyable and memorable stories, that you can apply to your life—for great effect—right away.

Also, it finishes off with a great list of other books you might enjoy reading on different subjects; one of them being the book I just mentioned.
Jaakko Koivula
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Entertaining and highly educational. Will have to return to this.
Sergey Teplyakov
Jun 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: other
Этот тот редкий случай, когда мои ожидания от книги не оправдались.
Прочитав первую главу я был просто в абсолютном восторге! Вся глава в заметках, столько мыслей и эмоций! Автор не просто жжот, он познал мир, корпоративную культуру и явно узнал ответ на вопрос Вселенной и всего такого.

Но дальше что-то пошло не так. Да, законы консалтинга применимы в жизни, они интересны, из них можно почерпнуть чего-то полезного. Рассказанные истории поучительны, хотя возможность применения на себе немного сомни
Bibhu Ashish
Sep 04, 2007 rated it liked it
Why do consultants fail?How do I become a consultant of repute?What are the skills needed to become a consultant? If these and some other questions come to your mind when you think of consulting as a career,here is the book that should be really helpful.In a simple and lucid way the author has drawn upon his rich experiences and the daily lives' chore to make the reader understand the intricacies of becoming a successful consultant.
Good read
Tim Ottinger
Mar 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Looks like a lot of advice given in a very approachable and brief format. Lots of insight into human interactions, and not a lot of fluff and sunshine. It is one of two Weinberg books I currently own, and I'm realizing that two is not nearly enough.
Henrik Mårtensson
Jan 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a very honest and forthright book about consulting. It is also quite funny.

It's not just a book for consultants, but also for people who use the services of consultants. I think I can get the most mileage out of it if I can entice my clients to read it.
Bill Glover
Mar 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who needs to work with and influence others.
Shelves: business, technical
A book can only do so much, but this book is the closest thing I've ever seen to a howto guide to consulting. A person could do some good, and make a very comfortable living just following Carl Weinberg's advice. This is especially useful for technical consultants.
Eduardo
Nov 15, 2008 rated it did not like it
Read this book if you are new to consulting, otherwise you may already know much about what you may find here.
Ekaterina
Poorly written with self evident consulting half-truths like "don't make any promises" and "it takes years to earn clients' trust but moments to lose it". Gee thanks.
Blessing Ezedinma Akupue
Mar 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Interesting!
Ignacio Ahumada
Dec 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very easy to read. Good advices regarding prices, trustworthiness, and recommended books in the end.
Heath Lympaney
May 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Many timeless lessons that can be applied in any work environment.
Scott J Pearson
Feb 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: management
Weinberg is a master of extracting the human personality required to run modern business. He describes one of his art-forms in this introduction to consulting practice. This book does not focus merely on short heuristics on how to consult. It instead goes in-depth into the psyche required to succeed as a consultant.

He defines consulting as the art of influencing people at their request. He then describes a rational framework for this practice and how communication can succeed through humility an
Brian Kim
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Not just for people who make a living as "business consultants" but applicable to anyone looking for fresh and counter-intuitive insights on learning, changing, improving, helping, and life. Don't be shy about skipping around and you'll find gems all over.

One of the many lines from the book that sticks with me: "Past glories are future graves."

Don't focus on protecting what's "yours" and living off of your past accomplishments. I realized that's what I did. I needed to keep learning and trying
Elizabeth
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Secrets of Consulting: A Guide to Giving and Getting Advice Successfully (Paperback)
by Gerald M. Weinberg

read many times
in a box of special stuff that I hope I find in storage

Masa Nishimura
Jun 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: psychology
A good book that describes trust and integrity. People, either clients or spouses, need to know what you can and cannot do.
Nostradamnit
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book full of useful advice and funny stories. Lots of Laws and Rules that are summarized at the end, plus an excellent list of suggested reading.
Peter
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Chock full of great content. I would recommend anyone in consulting give it a read.
Kory
Mar 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: business
It was ok, this is more geared towards consultants who work alone, so some information wasn't really relevant.
Daniel Gasperut
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Finally got around to reading this one, it's funny and has some truisms that you probably do already.
Jason
Dec 23, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people with jobs
Recommended to Jason by: Bill Caputo
Shelves: library
This one was recommended to me years ago, but I only got around to reading it last December. It looks like a very specific topic, but I would recommend this to anyone who has to deal with other people for work in any way. That probably includes most people who have jobs. A lot of it is common sense, but it's presented in a way that help you remember those insights when you need them. The copy I read was from the library, but I now own a copy for myself. This is one of those books that one would ...more
  • Getting Started in Consulting
  • Essentials of Accounting
  • Turning Numbers into Knowledge: Mastering the Art of Problem Solving
  • The McGraw-Hill 36-Hour Course in Finance for Non-Financial Managers
  • Learning from the Future: Competitive Foresight Scenarios
  • Bankable Business Plans
  • Principles of Statistics
  • Marketing Metrics: 50+ Metrics Every Executive Should Master
  • 3-D Negotiation: Powerful Tools to Change the Game in Your Most Important Deals
  • The Simplicity Survival Handbook: 32 Ways To Do Less And Accomplish More
  • Re-Create Your Life
  • Lead the Field
  • Hiring Smart!: How to Predict Winners and Losers in the Incredibly Expensive People-Reading Game
  • Numbers Guide: The Essentials of Business Numeracy
  • The Unwritten Laws of Business
  • It's Not About the Money: Unlock Your Money Type to Achieve Spiritual and Financial Abundance
  • The New Business Road Test: What Entrepreneurs and Executives Should Do Before Writing a Business Plan

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Gerald Marvin Weinberg (October 27, 1933 – August 7, 2018) was an American computer scientist, author and teacher of the psychology and anthropology of computer software development.
“Once you eliminate your number one problem, number two gets a promotion.” 3 likes
“The name of a thing is not the thing.” 1 likes