Start by marking “A Fighting Chance (A Chance at Love #1)” as Want to Read:
A Fighting Chance (A Chance at Love #1)

A Fighting Chance

(A Chance at Love #1)

A Small-Town Summer Romance

Lyla Whitney managed to escape her hometown. Since then, she's been avoiding certain things at all costs—like small-town setbacks, her family’s farm, and suffocating under too many expectations. Oh, and love, of course—but that's one thing eluding her.

Aside from that, things are wonderful for her in Boston—the big city she chose to run to. That
Kindle Edition
Published January 2021

To ask other readers questions about A Fighting Chance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Fighting Chance

Start your review of A Fighting Chance (A Chance at Love #1)
J.R. Rogue
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Holy-Sexy-Southern-Man Batman!

I LOVED this book. Gentry's instant desire for Lyla was so sexy. I loved his little notes. I loved that he saw pictures of her before meeting her and had that crush.

Our heroine was so believable. I could totally understand why she had so few meaningful relationships, due to her parents. She is a runner, through and through. But Gentry was patient and understanding. I loved how Harper nudged the couple along and I can't wait for her story.

Can Gentry punch someone f
talon smith
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If there is any one in this world that is incredibly proud of Kat Savage it is ME. Reading this book was so refreshing compared to her others. Not that they were bad, I don't mean that in a rude way at all and I will explain below. But A Fighting Chance was a game changer novel for Kat. It embodied her growth as an author and changes that I can tell she has worked hard for and it was just so much more than a STORY. The two times that I read this book I was stunned and left so proud of this baby. ...more
Chelé-----4 The Love of Books
YOU GUYS ARE NOT READY FOR LYLA AND GENTRY!!!!

I was not prepared for this f*ck me side ways level of swoon! Gentry is the finest southern gentleman that will finesse the panties right off of you WHILE writing you poems! I can NOTTTTT with him! Gah!

Lyla is such a great heroine because you can really relate to her and the choices she makes, yes she has flaws and that's what I love because she's so unapologetic about it and OMG her inner dialogue had me dying laughing!!!

A Fighting Chance is a bo
Ashley Estep The Art of Reading
I'm officially a Kat Savage fan! A Fighting Chance is my first Kat Savage book and it won't be my last. (I also read One More Chance today). I was not expecting this book to hit me the way it did. I was crying at one point and had no idea when I started.

Gentry Bodine is a sexy, strong, southern man that made me swoon from the first time we meet him. He's a true southern gentleman. Layla Whitney is strong, and sassy and not looking for love. The chemistry between these two jumps off the pages fro
lyndsey.jeannette
This is my first time receiving and reviewing an ARC, so I’ll try my best to do this sweet story justice.

I haven’t yet read anything by Kat Savage but I follow her on Instagram and when she posts anything she’s written, I’m blown away. When the opportunity came to receive an ARC from her, I jumped at the chance. I started reading “A Fighting Chance” at 1am, it’s now 5am, and I literally finished the whole thing in one sitting. All I can say is: I loved it! I was hooked from the very first chapt
Nina
Aug 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perfect

Fell in love with this book right away and finished it in one day. Gentry and Lyla are red hot from the start. Love the way the author incorporated her poetry in there as well.
Siobhan
Sep 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Fighting Chance is the first book in Kat Savage’s A Chance at Love series, and it was an addictive read that has me eager to dive into the next book.

I’ll be honest and say it took me a few chapters to get into this one. Our female lead was a bit of a rambler in her inner monologue, and I was unsure if I would get into it. After a while, however, I fell deeply for it. It was something different, and it made her a lot of fun. Plus, once the story started to move, I could not put it down. Things
Chèri-Lee Fisher
We've all read country love stories, tons of them. But this one, this was brilliant. I'm going to admit that it had a slow start but getting into it A Fighting Chance is completely swoon worthy!

Gentry, is everything we all want in a man. He is kind, loving and romantic to a fault. From his little notes to Lyla ( which I LOVED), to his sweet, lingering touches. He is entrancing.

Lyla, our fierce heroine. I think I can and honestly many other woman can relate to her so much, from her tough exteri
Shelly | VixenReads
OMG how I adored this book!

This was my first read by Kat Savage and I’m so happy to have discovered a new author!

This book was everything you’d want from a sweet, sexy, southern romance.

Gentry was drool-worthy and a true southern gentleman. Lyla was a great heroine as well...but Gentry stole the show for me!

I would’ve liked to see more letters from Gentry throughout the book because they were perfection. I also didn’t care for the incident with Lyla’s Ex...I feel like that was bit out of plac
Persephone
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Um, can I have a Gentry across the hall who writes me notes?

I fell hard in love with A Fighting Chance. In so many ways, I relate to Lyla. The way she protects herself from her past for her future. But Gentry challenges this in all the most alluring ways. Has her questioning which path to take. He makes her feel after years of suppression. Makes her see the world in a different light.

Kat wrote Lyla and Gentry with such perfection. I love the poetic ties and the gentle romanticism. Absolutely pe
Brynn
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a sweet story. I enjoyed Lyla and Gentry. The notes from Gentry were lovley. Their connection was electric.
K
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read all of Kat's work and adored every word.... But this novel is another level for her. Gentry is absolute perfection. Can't wait for the next book in this series. ...more
PP's Bookshelf
Nov 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Fighting Chance by Kat Savage was such a swoony and sweet love story. My heart is singing and flying. The writing is completely mesmerising and I am under its spell!

Lyla left her family farm and small town behind to make a life of her own in city of Boston. When her sister faces divorce, she returns to support Harper and her grandparents. And she meets the new worker of the farm and inhabitant of their house. Gentry. Sparks fly. Hearts soar. Panties melt.

I love Lyla! She is so amazing. Her sas
Kylie Cook
Dec 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A hot farmer who writes poems... enough said!

Lyla left her home town after her high school boyfriend dumped her and went to college in Boston. She built a life in there that revolved around her work and hardly ever went back to the Whitney Farm. That was until her sister called her to tell her she was getting a divorce. She hopped on the first plane home to support her sister and found herself sharing a bathroom with the super hot farm manager, Gentry. Their relationship started out as a love/ha
christyheartsbooks
Lyla ran away from her southern small town farm life at 18 to go to college in Boston. She has gone home since then for very short trips but has no desire for long trips or to move back. When her baby sister calls her in the middle of the night because her husband is leaving her for another woman, Lyla knows she has to go home to be there for her sister. What she wasn't expecting was to run into Gentry, in her bathroom, late at night, in his underwear.

This one had the potential to be good but i
K.  Ramjohn
Dec 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Fighting Chance is my first Kat Savage novel and I loved it. This small town romance was steamy and sweet and gave me all the feels. The plot was realistic and easy to follow along. The main characters Gentry and Layla had sizzling chemistry from the moment they met. They made a great couple who were both likable and relatable and I was really rooting for them throughout. The story also included a cast of secondary characters who provided great support and balance and added another layer to th ...more
Erica
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The universe has smiled on me recently, and I received an ARC of this bad boy. I was supposed to go to bed early last night, but did I? Nope. I was finishing this book. And boy oh boy was that the right decision. All through my reading, I kept thinking ‘wow, Kat has evolved so so much since she started her writing career.’ The vibe of AFC is just different. Still heartbreaking, but also hopeful and real and full of love. Lyla was a fantastic heroine. Flawed and injured and multidimensional, I co ...more
Maryjo
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
A Fighting Change takes us on a journey down some country backroads full of twists and turns.
Lyla, at heart, is your lovable country girl who is living in the city after attending college. When Lyla receives an alarming message from her sister Lyla returns to her hometown where she is reminded of all the things she loved about living there along with some of the reasons why she left. Gentry is your hot cowboy! As a country boy, Gentry is a true gentleman with a soft side.
Kat has done an amazing
Shelly Tooley
Mar 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I whole heartily loved this book. You can tell all of the hard work and heart that has gone into writing this book. You FEEL it. I love how she incorporated her talented poetry writing into this book as well. You can relate to all her characters and their life situations. She was able to pull so many different emotions from me. I love when an Author can do that, and trust me, she didn’t disappoint. I will be recommending this book to everyone! Kat, thank you for writing this book and sharing you ...more
Kristin
May 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ooo nelly! Gentry stole the show. Kat Savage is a new for me author, so I was happy to receive an ARC copy of A Fighting Chance.

Gentry is so sexy, but in a caring, attentive way. He swept me off my feet from the beginning. That man knows how to treat a lady! Lyla was a great match for him. Strong, and takes no BS, I loved seeing her feistier side.

This story had drama, tender and sexy moments, a truly great read. Highly recommend.
Tiffany S
Mar 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is absolutely no reason why anyone wouldn’t enjoy this. Just all around good romance.

So much chemistry!
Great dialogue
Chemistry
INTIMACY (y’all know I love those small meaningful moments!)

And GENTRY! Sweet sweet cinnamon roll mama raised a good southern boy, Gentry. SWOON!!!

Phenomenal writing with poetic moments and flow throughout.
VMChick
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this one! Kat has a beautiful way with words and more than once I had to re-read something to commit it to memory. The relationship between Lyla and Gentry is sweet and hot and a lot of fun to read. I liked the bond between Lyla and Harper as well and hope that Harper gets her own book next.
Rebecca
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is well written and sucked me in from beginning to end. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Review to come.
Brooke Anderson
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The relationship between a girl and her family is so beautifully told!! I love Gentry, my ideal southern gentleman!!!!
Wendy Livingstone
This is the 1st in a new series and as well as this being a new author to me, but I will certainly be looking out for her work in the future. Lyla left town with no intention of ever returning, that is until her heartbroken sister asks her to come home, which she does. Lyla is a runner, and it is understandable with the choices she made. Gentry is newly single and is the newest resident at the ranch, and one glimpse of Lyla and there is an instant connection, and I loved how patient and understa ...more
Shannon O'Connor
Dec 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
This is the first novel I’ve ever read by Savage but it won’t be my last. Her amazing poetry is what brought me in, and how amazing of a writer she is made me keep reading. I really enjoyed this book. I fell in love with Lyla and Gentry’s torrid romance. A will they-won’t they story that doesn’t drag on but keeps you hoping. I did wish I got to see more of Lyla and Harper’s story just considering that’s why she came back home in the first place but I get that wasn’t the main point of the story. ...more
Slick
Nov 08, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-book-read
This was an okay read, I had a hard time staying with it as nothing about it really grabbed ahold of me. Gentry was a good guy hero, but his character really wasn't developed well and we never got to know very much about him. Layla seemed to be one of those women who always got in her own way because she felt like she had to keep up appearances. It wasn't a bad book, but it wasn't particuarly memorable either.
Jeraca
Nov 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this free eARC novel from the author and Wildfire Marketing Solutions. This is my honest review.

This was a cute, small town romance novel. Lyla and Gentry instantly hit it off when they met and it only got more intense after that.

I think Lyla's reasonings for why she can't stay are a bit stretched and don't really make sense. And Gentry may be a bit overwhelming on his intense feelings, but it's a nice change from guys who keep their feelings hidden until it's too late.

I loved when
World Of Books 65
Nov 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a great start to what promises to be a great swoon worthy series!

The chemistry is sizzling the story line touching one which drew me and didn't let go. Who wouldn't fall in love with a hero named Gentry who writes notes like a poet a hero who doesn't give up on his lady and is their until the end!

Of cause there still has to be a great underlining story and Lyla's insecurities is it but who can blame with the parents she had!

But the heart wants what the heart wants you just have to let it l
Heather Davidson-Norman
Love the idea of a small town romance and how this story was set up. It didn't live up to what it could've been though. The author had so much potential for this book and the drama that was there. The characters were okay. I think this is one of the first books that I don't think the main character is swoon worthy. He's nice and everything, but he's kinda blah. 3.5 stars
« previous 1 3 next »

• Poems for the Stars: Vol 1
  • Keeping Score
  • Dirty Hands, Broken Ribs, & Other Places My Heart Has Lived: Poems
  • Poems for the Dawn: Vol 2
  • Poems for the Dawn: Vol 1
  • Poems for the Stars: Vol 2
  • Betrayed (Cunningham Security #8)
  • Meet Me Halfway (The West Brothers #1)
  • Poems for the Moon: Vol 2
  • Mad Cruel World
  • All In
  • Fire (Brewed #4)
  • Six Nights in Paradise
  • All My Ghosts Have Heartbeats
  • My Burning Depths, Vol. 1
  • Until the Last Breath
  • Where We Fall (The Souls Duet, #2)
  • Woman on Fire
Kat Savage’s unique brand of storytelling combines some of her own truths with a little bit of fiction to connect to people in a very real way. She writes about ugly things authentically and shamelessly.

A Chance at Love (3 books)
  • One More Chance (A Chance at Love #2)
  • Taking A Chance (A Chance At Love, #3)