Start by marking “The Therapist” as Want to Read:
The Therapist

The Therapist

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  19,530 ratings  ·  3,360 reviews
When Alice and Leo move into a newly renovated house in The Circle, a gated community of exclusive houses, it is everything they’ve dreamed of. But appearances can be deceptive…

As Alice is getting to know her neighbours, she discovers a devastating, grisly secret about her new home, and begins to feel a strong connection with Nina, the therapist who lived there before.

Alic
Published April 15th 2021 by HQ (first published January 7th 2021)

To ask other readers questions about The Therapist, please sign up.
Rosanna
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Chel Haven't read this book yet, but am in the middle of a remodel. An ensuite is the attached, often private, bathroom to a bedroom. When I say attached, …moreHaven't read this book yet, but am in the middle of a remodel. An ensuite is the attached, often private, bathroom to a bedroom. When I say attached, I mean the entrance to the bath is from the bedroom.

If there were 3 bedrooms upstairs and they combined two; they'd end up with 2 bedrooms; looks like a master and a guest. The study was probably already there before the remodel, but probably wasn't mentioned? (less)

·  19,530 ratings  ·  3,360 reviews

Start your review of The Therapist
JanB
Alice and Leo move into a beautiful home in The Circle, an exclusive neighborhood. Alice soon finds out why it was such a steal: a murder/suicide occurred there, a fact her partner kept from her. Alice finds out the woman who was murdered, the therapist, was named Nina, the same name as her dead sister, and becomes obsessed with her.

The more she learns, the more convinced she is that Nina’s husband did not kill her. Strange things begin happening in her home and she becomes increasingly suspici
Michael David
You want to know who could really benefit from seeing a therapist? Alice. The main character of this book.*

Let me tell you.

Alice and her boyfriend Leo move into a gorgeous house in a gated community called The Circle. After making friends with the neighbors, Alice unwittingly finds out that something bad happened to the last resident of the house. She was a therapist.

Alice becomes obsessed with finding out more about the therapist and what happened to her. The neighbors don’t like talking about
Jayme
Quote from “The Therapist”, used to gain trust and help clients relax...

“Do you know what Henry David Thoreau believed? Happiness is like a butterfly, the more you chase it, the more it will elude you. But if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder. “ 🦋

Too bad our therapist is sooo judgmental! 🙄

SOMETHING happened at #6 The Circle.
And, the house set empty for a year prior to it finally being SOLD.

Alice and Leo, can both feel a presence in their new
jessica
May 04, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i really enjoyed BAPs debut novel so im sad its taken me until her 5th book to pick up one of her stories again. and luckily this did not disappoint!

this is exactly the kind of entertaining domestic psychological mysteriousness that i have come to associate with BAPs storytelling. this particular book is on the slower side - it really isnt until the end that information starts coming together - but the vague nature of the content kept me hooked and guessing along the way. the ‘past’ chapters did
Holly  B
3.5 STARS

This was a fun book for me that didn't require a lot of over thinking! It was pure escapism!

I had a similar reaction when I read the author's The Breakdown in 2017 (which I loved and gave 5 stars too because it just had that addictive quality to it). So much better than last year's The Dilemma. The main character Alice even reminded me of Cass from The Breakdown! They are both naive and paranoid but still likeable.

This one has a quick pace that kept me guessing. I enjoyed the neighborho
Peter
Deceit
The Therapist is the latest psychological suspense thriller from B.A. Paris, with a murder mystery that occurs in a small private housing community. Alice and her boyfriend Leo buy their first-ever house together in an exclusive gated housing estate called The Circle, in Finsbury London. It astonishes Alice that they have been able to buy this house because it appears way beyond their financial means. With only 12 houses, the neighbours provide an intriguing array of colourful characters a
megs_bookrack
Jan 18, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-read
When they began their relationship, Alice and Leo, were making a go long-distance. However, as time passed, it no longer feels enough to just see each other on the weekends.

Deciding to make the jump, they move in together after Leo buys a house in an exclusive, gated-community called, The Circle, in London. As lovely as it is, it's a far cry from Alice's little cottage in the country.

Making the transition easier is the fact that Alice actually got to keep her cottage, renting it out to tenants
Lindsay - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
4 stars!

A suspenseful, easy and entertaining read!

Alice and Leo purchase a home in a tight knit gated community known as The Circle. Alice is excited to make new friends and feel a sense of belonging in this new neighbourhood while Leo holds back from socializing too much. Soon after they move in, Alice senses something isn’t right. She begins to question her neighbours intentions and doesn’t know who she can genuinely trust, including Leo.

This was the perfect read for me during a really busy t
NZLisaM
*Yawn*

Rounded up to 2.5.

The Circle – A gated estate of twelve houses, built around a garden square. Alice and Leo are new to number 6, and Alice is eager to fit in and make friends. But her happiness is soon overshadowed when she discovers that the previous owner – Therapist Nina Maxwell – was murdered by her husband in her new home. And the more Alice learns about Nina's death the less convinced she is that the Therapist was indeed killed by her husband. And in The Circle, there are eyes everyw
Joey R.
3.0 stars —“The Therapist” is the fifth book that I have read by B.A. Paris. I divide Paris’s books into two groups: (1) the exciting page turners— “The Breakdown” and (2) the main character is an idiot —“Bring Me Back”. Unfortunately, “The Therapist” is in the latter category. Although Paris does her normal great job writing dialogue and making her protagonist interesting, the protagonist’s inability to understand on numerous occasions that she is in danger is comical. The plot centers around A ...more
Carolyn
Alice was looking forward to moving into a house in London with her boyfriend Leo. Although reluctant to leave her lovely cosy cottage in a small country village, Leo had been commuting to see her on the weekends for well over a year and it was time for them to be together. The house was in a gated estate of twelve houses built around a circle with a Central Park and playground and Alice was looking forward to getting to know her neighbours. Leo had bought the house at a very good price while Al ...more
Mandy White (mandylovestoread)
I always look forward to reading a new B.A. Paris novel and was excited when I received an early copy of The Therapist to read. Once I got started it was hard to put down and I read it in a day. I love good story with secrets, trying to work out who was telling the truth. There were plenty of liars in this one and it kept me guessing.

Alice and Leo have been in a long distance relationship for sometime now. When Leo buys a new home in the gated community of The Circle, in London, Alice is excited
Kaceey
2.5*
Oh! I was so looking forward to this one!
😩

Alice and Leo are ready to take their relationship to the next level. No…not marriage. Leo doesn’t believe in that. 🤨. Leo asks Alice to move in together. He even picks out the house, and with Alice only seeing pictures of it…he goes ahead with the purchase.

Alice has an odd feeling about the house right from the beginning. It’s a tight-knit gated community and Alice is determined to win over all the neighbors.

But when Alice finds out about the histo
A.
3.5 Stars

Okay. The heroine is too stupid to live. Definitely one of the stupidest characters I've come across in the mystery/thriller genre.

The story is far-fetched, the villain is obvious, everyone is unlikable.

All in all, a recipe for DNF.

And yet, I was hooked.

I absolutely have no clue why.

Must be the setting. Gated community, secrets, lies, stalking, nosy neighbors...

I'll never get tired of reading such stories.

I enjoyed it, even I'm surprised how much.
Christina
Mar 27, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What do you do when you have a massive TBR pile and someone sends you the new BA Paris novel? You give a little screech and bump it immediately to the top of your list, of course!

Needless to say, I’m a big BA Paris fan. Behind Closed Doors and The Breakdown are two of my favorite recent domestic thrillers. I did not think this this book had quite the pace or intensity of those two, so I can see why some readers are disappointed. However, I still enjoyed this read, which had all the great writing
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
My favorite book by B.A. Paris is Behind Closed Doors. I can remember opening the mailer for the ARC, one of the very first physical ARCs I received. I remember where I was when I read it, and how chilled I felt. I don’t know if there’s ever been a more loathsome villain as the husband in that book!

I’ve been super excited to pick up The Therapist, and am happy to report I loved it.

Alice and Leo move into a new house that’s just been redone. The home is located in an exclusive gated community. Fa
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
When Alys and Leo move into their dream home in the exclusive community called The Circle..well things don’t go as planned. In fact... there is a reason you got such a deal on your house...😳

Okay so there is nooo way I would have stayed at this house after finding out what happened there.. no fluffing way!! Bags 💼would be packed... car 🚘 idling in the driveway... hotel 🏨 reservation made... peace ✌️ out new house! Yet Alice stayed and stayed 🤷‍♀️… girl get out of there!!!🏃‍♀️

I found the
Amanda
Dec 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to start with confessing I’m a huge fan of B.A Paris. I was so excited to start this book you would have thought I’d won the lottery!!!

Alice and her boyfriend Leo are moving into the Circle , a luxury home in a gated community in Finsbury London. Alice is a little apprehensive as she is leaving her cosy cottage in the country.

All is well .. until she finds out that someone was killed in their home and worse than that, Leo knew and did not tell her.

Alice starts to look into what happened,
Barbara

Thirtysomething Alice and her boyfriend Leo have recently moved in together, taking up residence in a gated London circle that contains 12 homes.

Before moving to London Alice lived in the country and Leo - who works in Birmingham - could only visit her on weekends. With a house in London, the couple can see each other more frequently.

Alice works from home, and feeling lonely, longs to make friends with the local women.

So - without informing Leo - Alice uses a group text to invite the circle resi
Virginie
Jun 05, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense, hugo-et-cie
Update: Yes, I did enjoy this one more! 3.5 stars rounded up

Third book by B. A. Paris... Last chance!
I gave 3-star ratings to Behind Closed Doors and The Breakdown, let's see if I enjoy this one more.📚
Brandice
In The Therapist, Alice moves in with her boyfriend Leo, who just bought their home in an exclusive, gated London neighborhood. There are only 12 homes and the neighbors appear close to one another, though some a bit cool and distant toward Alice initially, as she attempts to befriend them.

Soon, Alice realizes secrets are being kept and the former resident of her home, Nina, was the victim of a tragedy. Alice becomes fixated on what happened to Nina, doubting some of the information neighbors a
Pat
Mar 21, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alice Dawson and her partner Leo Curtis move into an exclusive, quiet enclave in London - The Circle. There are only 12 homes in this gated estate. Leo travels a lot for work and Alice is hoping to make friends. Which she does. Emma and Will, Maria and Tim are very friendly. Tamsin seems hostile to Alice although her husband Conor is friendly enough. And Edward and Lorna, an older couple seem quite reclusive.

Straight away Alice is fretting over everything which is tiresome. But when she learns t
JaymeO
May 28, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who is the therapist?
Who is the patient?
Who murdered Nina?

Alice and her boyfriend Leo buy a house in an exclusive gated London community called The Circle. When Alice learns that the previous tenant was murdered in the house, she takes it upon herself to solve what seems to already be a closed case. No one can be trusted and everyone is a suspect. She must follow the clues before the killer strikes again.

I am so thrilled that The Therapist is Paris’s return to the psychological/domestic thriller
Katie B
I get very excited when a new book by B.A. Paris comes out. There's just something about her writing style that make her books so fun to read. The goal for me when I read a thriller or mystery is to have a good time and I did with The Therapist even though it had a weak ending.

Alice and her partner, Leo, have just moved into a home located in a gated community called The Circle. She soon learns something horrible about the house and what happened to the previous owners. Alice suspects there is m
Susanne  Strong
Review posted to blog: https://books-are-a-girls-best-friend...

So, there was something about The Therapist by B.A. Paris that got my back up as soon as I started reading it. Something that didn’t sit quite right with me and unfortunately, it wasn’t the suspense of it all.

If I tell you, however, I’ll ruin it for those of you who haven’t read it. Let’s just say that I guessed two things right off the bat and was right on the money.

That aside, I enjoyed the mystery at first and was excited for
Tamar...light at the end of the tunnel?
Alice meets Leo when his car bumps into hers one rainy afternoon. No damage to either car really, but the damage will follow. This is, after all, an B.A. Paris, so if you are looking for a fuzzy, feel-good read, you have come to the wrong address.

Several months later, Leo and Alice, move into a gated, exclusive community. This is Leo’s dream - life with a woman he loves in a neighborhood he could never normally afford. So what’s the catch? It turns out that a woman named Nina was murdered in the
Brittney Rae
Wow. That was something. Alice is definitely a stupid person.
Catherine Woodward
Jul 12, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars, netgalley
**Many thanks to NetGalley, St. Martin's Press, and B.A. Paris for an ARC of this book! Now available as of 7.13!**

"Do you know what Henry David Thoreau believed? 'Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you. But if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder.'"

She smiles, relaxes. It always works.

Sounds like calm and sage advice from the perfect therapist...right?

Alice and her husband Leo have moved to the Circle
Melissa (LifeFullyBooked)
I wasn't a huge fan of Paris's last book (The Dilemma) but I had liked some previous books of hers so decided to give this one a try. The Therapist did have a couple of decent twists, but overall I disliked the character of Alice so much that it clouded everything about this book.

This is the story of Alice and Leo, a couple who decide to move in together after dating long distance for a while. Leo purchases a home in a gated community, and some odd things occur. Alice discovers that the previous
Linda
"I was obsessed, and like most obsessed people, I was the last one to know it." (Kate Bornstein)

More on that little ditty in a moment.......

Alice and her partner, Leo, are moving into an exclusive residential area of London called The Circle. It's a gated community of just twelve homes spanned outward like the face of a clock. What's not to like with a coded entrance gate, a park-like setting, and friendly neighbors? And to top it off, Leo got a bargain on the price.

But once they've moved into

• The Searcher
  • How to Play Dead
  • One by One
  • The Dead of Winter (Josephine Tey, #9)
  • The Forgers
  • Olive
  • Death of a Shipbuilder (A John Grey Historical Mystery Book 6)
  • My Sister's Husband
  • The World at My Feet
  • The Golden Rule
  • The Good Neighbour
  • The Girl on the Platform
  • The Windsor Knot (Her Majesty the Queen Investigates, #1)
  • What My Husband Did
  • If I Had Your Face
  • Chess Story
  • The Queen's Gambit
  • Win (Windsor Horne Lockwood III, #1)
See top shelves…
B A Paris is the internationally bestselling author of Behind Closed Doors, The Breakdown, Bring Me Back and The Dilemma. Having sold over a million copies in the UK alone, she is a New York Times bestseller as well as a Sunday Times bestseller. Her books have been translated into 40 languages. Having lived in France for many years, she and her husband recently moved back to the UK.
Her fifth nove

Articles featuring this book

“Do you know what Henry David Thoreau believed? “Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you. But if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder.” 0 likes
“we’d had done?” 0 likes