Start by marking “Emergence” as Want to Read:
Emergence

Emergence

It starts with Just Watching. But danger emerges when Just Watching ends.

When the “wild child” Xavier first encounters Cass Hardwood and her dogs in the woods of West Quebec, he is enthralled. Unknown to them, he Just Watches them in a lengthy ongoing surveillance, before finally staging a meeting. His motives are uncertain – even to him.

The intersection of the lives of
Published 2021 by Tellwell Talen

Start your review of Emergence
Sharon
May 18, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ms. Beals' novel is both a lesson in the love of the Canadian wilderness and dog obedience training and a slow-building thriller that had this reader holding her breath.

Cass and Noah are private people with a few close friends and family. Their trips to Lac Rouge are always a welcome getaway that gives Cass time to train her obedience dogs for competition as well as enjoy her secluded cabin and the beautiful Canadian wilderness. Little does she know she's being observed by a young boy with unkno
Amy
Apr 06, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this book. It's a bit of a slow burn. The writing style was straight forward and concise and the story easy to get into. Emergence focuses on a middle aged female and her life over a year training dogs in back country Canada. Her interactions with a local youth and her hot cousin are also integral to the plot. It's a pretty quick read and would definitely appeal to those wishing to sequester themselves in the northern wilderness.

I received a copy of this book as a Goodr
Penny Beal
May 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the characters in this book. There’s a young man trapped into a lifestyle by his father that begins to emerge into quite a lovely person. There are dogs beautiful dogs. There’s information about training a dog if you are so inclined. There’s danger, and friendship, and people who are not perfect.
Barbara
Feb 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This novel based on Ellie’s life in Canada is so well written and expressed that I could not put the book down! The storyline is poignant and compelling with brilliant description and insight. I do not want to include any spoilers in my review, but reading the back cover inspired me to delve into the book. Kudos to Ms. Beals in writing her first novel with passion, empathy, and vivid explanation. I am looking forward to reading her next work.
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
What an interesting book! What a talented author. I wasn’t sure what to expect with this…the blurb sounded intriguing, but it felt as if there would be some “gray area” here in terms of right and wrong. I was right, but I wasn’t as conflicted as I might have been…

The book starts slowly, but I was never bored. The author weaved her words carefully and well, with strong descriptions and solid “showing” and not telling. I learned about each character–even the dogs!–in significant detail cleverly sh
Kathy
May 05, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

When I see the word “dogs” in a synopsis I am usually going to pick up a book and see what it might be about. I had no idea what I was going to experience. What an interesting book. There’s a little of everything here. A thriller and yet parts that make you feel empathetic and parts that make you smile.
I’m not certain how to describe how this story is told. Some of it is by the main character Cass while another part is told by the boy, Xavier. It’s even as if the dogs tell a part of the story t
Ellie Beals
Feb 23, 2021 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Emergence - 4.5/5 star IndieReader Approved Book
I was thrilled to get the IndieReader review of Emergence last week. The book was awarded 4.5 out of 5 stars, and thus earned the coveted IndieReaderApproved status, granted only to works accorded 4 or 5 stars.

Here are some highlights from the review:

"A slow-burn thriller. Emergence …. makes for a deliciously disquieting ride…”

“… it is the odd relationship between Cass and Xavier that propels us through this unique thriller. “

Here’s the link for t
Nancy (The Avid Reader)
Emergence intertwines the lives of Cass, a dog trainer who loves and trust dogs more than she does humans, Lori, Cass’s cousins, and then there is thirteen-year-old Xavier.

Cass has an isolated cabin in the woods that she likes to visit and go on hiking trails with her dogs and her friends. Cass likes getting away from everyone and everything. Cass is an outdoor person.

Thirteen-year-old Xavier lives alone in the woods with his dad. Xavier has always more or less taken care of himself. Xavier lear
Mary
Ellie W
Virginia

• The Unicorn Diet
  • Roadwork
  • Contagious (Infected, #2)
  • Pandemic (Infected, #3)
  • The Rise of Magicks (Chronicles of The One, #3)
  • No Bad Deed
  • Roam
  • Hadley & Grace
  • Milk Blood Heat
  • The Exceptionals: How the Best Become the Best and How You Can Too
  • Shiner
  • The House Next Door
  • Spin (Captain Chase #2)
  • National Service (Beyond These Walls #2)
  • Protectors (Beyond These Walls, #1)
  • Want to Know a Secret?
  • A Deadly Influence (Abby Mullen Thrillers, #1)
  • The Flight Girls