Start by marking “Evidence of Things Unseen” as Want to Read:
Evidence of Things Unseen

Evidence of Things Unseen

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  2,072 Ratings  ·  387 Reviews
This poetic novel, by the acclaimed author of John Dollar, describes America at the brink of the Atomic Age. In the years between the two world wars, the future held more promise than peril, but there was evidence of things unseen that would transfigure our unquestioned trust in a safe future.

Fos has returned to Tennessee from the trenches of France. Intrigued with electri
Published June 3rd 2003 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Evidence of Things Unseen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Evidence of Things Unseen

Ruth
Oct 18, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first thing I noticed in this book was Wiggen’s use of poetic language. Beautiful. But in the beginning of the book at least, it was too much for me. Like too many plums in the pudding, too much sauce on the pasta. Tasty gems need a matrix to shine against. When it’s all chocolate chips and no cookie it can become cloying. The writing, lovely as it was, slowed me down because it kept bringing attention to itself. I love gorgeous writing, but when I’m reading a novel I don’t want to keep stop ...more
Melody
Jul 26, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this world where bombs are dropped to end a war; where people living in clean, new, identical houses and whose sons spend dreamy summer evenings in tents in the back, build the atomic bomb and cheer when it explodes because it means more money for them and their town, how can you believe in love or other wonderful unseen things? Flash, Opal, Fos and Lighfoot are all searching for clues about the truth about who they are and what they want in life and what is real and good while, just like the ...more
Whitaker
I’m not the kind of person to gush. I believe that the 80-20 ratio of great to mediocre applies to all things, including books. So when I do gush, I mean it. And I’m gushing.

Evidence of Things Unseen covers the range of historical events from one great war to the next through the lives of Ray and Opal. More than an examination of America during the interwar years, this is a novel about death, love, and, above all, the search for a meaning to illuminate our lives. Wiggins's writing is luminous,
Suzanne
I’ve got to hand it to Goodreads. I never would have even heard of this book if it weren’t for the reading friends I’ve made there. And that would have been a shame, because Evidence of Things Unseen is going on my list of all-time favorite books and likely the best book I’ve read this year.

The book opens with Fos (nicknamed for Ray Foster), a World War I vet, home from the trenches, with a newfound appreciation for science and technology. He meets Opal on a trip to see the Perseid meteor shower
Angie Palau
Apr 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I thought this book was spectacularly well-written, with gorgeous language and very clever use of mathematical and scientific language to create romantic descriptions. There were several very obvious "themes" woven throughout, which I found enjoyable, but I acknowledge that other reviews thought they were overdone or contrived. I loved them and found the use of "Light" and "Radiance" throughout to be very interesting. I also thought hanging elements of the story on a "Moby Dick" frame was cool ( ...more
J.I.
Jun 16, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2013
My distaste for this book can be understood by a sentence very early on in this novel:
"Blinking in the the rain he saw her bones smooth as horn beneath the fabric of her dress where it clung flat as oil on water to her form, he saw the flat spades of her scapulae and her ropy spine rising from the meager compass of her unspanned hips toward the frail width of her slender shoulders."

Not only do we have a string of similes with nothing in common thrown together like a beginning writer in order to
Pamela
Aug 22, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Tracey
Jan 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely beautiful book. I read it as slowly as I possibly could so as to savor it.
Rrshively
This book did not pass my "40 page" rule that I should really be into it after 40 pages. However, I was reading it for a face-to-face book club and was determined to finish. The further I got into it, the more I liked it. By the time I reached the last third of the book, I was reading it avidly. This book brings up many issues for thought and discussion. It has several themes running through it such as the theme of light. I appreciated the author's clever ways of putting things. I would agree th ...more
Janna
Sep 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a touching story of the tender love between Fos and Opal. Fos is a man who has always been fascinated by things that glow...falling stars in the night sky; bioluminescence in the dark sea.

He accidentally finds Opal when his truck breaks down while he is in NC to see the meteor showers. Opal is quite the repairman so she has him on the road again quickly...and she's with him.

The author, Marianne Wiggins, deserves a Pulitzer Prize for this novel. It is a riveting story of America before an
meg
May 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a few weeks later and i still find myself thinking about this one. wiggins is just a beautiful writer. the paperback's blurb boasts about what an epic love story it is--which is certainly true--but i found it such an oddly limiting piece of praise to highlight because this book is so much more. science and poetry and history are woven together in kind of magical ways to make up this story that's so true it just feels like life. i think this passage says it best:

"Life doesn't progress the way a s
Renee Klang
Apr 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the most beautifully written books i have ever read. Wiggins mingles physics, chemistry, geology, and astronomy in this marvelous love story between two unique characters .
Couldn't decide between 4 or 5 stars because of the ending and something that Flash does that seemed hard to believe. However, because I couldn't stop reading it and enjoyed the prose so much I decided to give it five.
Laurel
Sep 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Shelves: just-finished
Marianne Wiggins for vice president!!!! I love this book...I am completely enamored by Marianne Wiggins' writing. The story of Fos and Opal and Flash and Lightfoot is beautiful and tragic and fascinating. I think The ShadowCatcher is a great American novel and I think this one is an even greater American novel...READ IT!!!! I'm even contemplating going back to Moby Dick and actually reading it this time, as I failed to do so junior year of high school.
Valerie
Jul 19, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful book about love--of wife, husband, friend, child, life.
Kate
Jan 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my all-time favorite books: a beautiful, epic story, beautifully written.
Themes:
Annisa Anggiana
“I know that every atom of life in all this universe is bound up together. I know that pebble cannot be thrown into the ocean without distrubing every drop of water in the sea. I know that every life is inextricably mixed and woven with every other life. I know that every influence, conscious and unconscious, acts and reacts on every living organism, and that no one can fix the blame.

I know that all life is a series of infinite chances, which sometimes result one way and sometimes another. I h
Barb
Mar 23, 2011 rated it it was ok
Ray Foster is fascinated with light. During the war he helps light up the battlefield so that the soldiers can see what is in front of them. After the war he continues to follow his amateur chemist’s investigations. He is always trying to discover new “natural” lighting and a way to recreate it with science. When Flash, a former war buddy, asks Ray to start a photography business with him, Ray is in his glory.

On one of his amateur investigations of light, Ray meets a girl names Opal. The name s
Ernie
Nov 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here is another consummate American writer that was previously unknown to me. Wiggins creates one oi the most difficult characters, an ordinary man, Ray Foster, trained as a candle maker. Gassed in World War I, 'Fos', frequently tearful as a result of the mustard gas and distinguished by that and his glasses becomes a photographer because of his disability but also because of his fascination with new gadgets and inventions such as radium. His other interest is in the stars. He seems to be fated ...more
Cynthia
Dec 03, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was chosen for my book club. We had a great discussion on it and like most of the books we choose 1/2 liked it and 1/2 disliked it. I belonged to the group that wasn't too impressed by it.

Evidence of Things Unseen tells the story of Fos, his wife Opal, their son Lightfoot, and Fos's best friend and work partner Flash. Set in the 1920's to 1920's in Tennesse.

At first I really enjoyed it, how Fos and Opal met, the sentences were beautiful and tender. My favorite part described the first
Rebecca
I like fiction about people who talk about science.
A passage I like (pages 12-13):
But the truth was, for that first year after he was demobilized, that first year in Tennessee, Fos eschewed the company of the gentler sex and stayed almost entirely to himself, either in the darkroom of in his rented place above a bakery, studying about light and working on his theories how to capture it. Fos had several theories that first year. One thing that the War had taught him--and that working under Flash'
Elizabeth K.
Mar 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2007-new-reads
I kept encountering positive reviews of this book, but the description always left me unmoved -- according to the back of the book, it "describes America at the brink of the Atomic Age. In the years between the two world wars, the future held more promise than peril, but there was evidence of things unseen that would transfigure our unquestioned trust in a safe future." That sounds tiresome, yes? Fortunately for me, we can completely disregard that explanation. This book was truly winsome. Okay, ...more
CynthiaA
Jun 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Marianne Wiggins knows how to weave magic from mere words. This book, so simple in its tale, becomes a layered, textured, bittersweet illumination of things we cannot see. Love, yes, but deep and enduring love, not the kind built upon physical desire. Faith, of course, but an active faith in the building blocks of our world,, our society, our families, even ourselves.

Set against the backdrop of rural Tenessee during the 1920's to post-WWII, Ray Foster is a man obsessed with science, in an age w
JoAnne Pulcino
EVIDENCE OF THINGS UNSEEN

Marianne Wiggins

A lyrical novel that takes place during the years between the two world wars, and at the brink of the atomic age following a couple through their lifetime and the fascination with light.

Fos a veteran returning from the trenches of France is fascinated with science and technology especially x ray and light. He falls in love with Opal whose father is a glassblower who can spin color out of light. They move to Knoxville where Fos and his buddy, Flash open a
Leslie Kay
Jan 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written engaging story about love, loss and life. I enjoyed all of the characters and the happiness and tragic-ness of their lives. The ending reminded me of Castaway with Tom Hanks, but hey, it could happen. Despite the desire to feel that the ending seems oversimplified,or too easily wrapped up, the journey is heartbreaking and breathtaking. I thoroughly enjoyed this story.

Favorite quotes:

"Still, as much as she was headstrong, single-minded, and self-made, she could see a vision o
Jerry Landry
Oct 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011-reads
Gina
Jan 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't really know what this book was about. I followed everything ok, but not sure where it all went. It is a sprawling plot, arcing over decades and generations. There are some interesting locations and points in time - WWI, Outer Banks, TVA dams, Jim Crow, WWII and Oak Ridge. There is a love story that is lovely. But the book begins and ends with Lightfoot, and why? The writing was lovely and the story was interesting but I just didn't understand what was driving things and how it all hung t ...more
Whitney Archibald
Jan 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Whitney by: Emma
This ranks right up there with Crossing to Safety as one of the best novels about marriage. The quirky yet believable main characters were so curious, kind, and tragic. A very unique and satisfying story. I didn't even mind all of the unbelievable coincidences in the end, because it was so well crafted. Plus, the longer I live, the longer I realize that bizarre coincidences aren't really all that rare, or all that coincidental.
Mary
May 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"One of the most suggestively original love stories in our current fiction..."-NYTBR

LOVE this book.
Betsy
Nov 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The language and descriptions are unique. I read and reread the first few sentences. It is well scripted.
Hillary
Apr 03, 2007 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
currently reading this book
What's The Name o...: Tennessee Valley Authority [s] 8 200 Apr 06, 2013 02:33PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Evidence of Things Unseen 1 2 Jul 29, 2012 06:52AM
Constant Reader 3 19 Jun 19, 2012 07:59AM
How do you feel about technology after reading this book? 2 14 Feb 06, 2012 02:31PM
  • The Manikin
  • All Souls
  • Shakespeare's Kitchen
  • Whites
  • Mean Spirit
Marianne Wiggins is the author of seven books of fiction including John Dollar and Evidence of Things Unseen. She has won an NEA grant, the Whiting Writers' Award, and the Janet Heidinger Kafka Prize, and she was a National Book Award- and Pulitzer Prize-finalist in fiction for Evidence of Things Unseen.
More about Marianne Wiggins...

“Maybe there are moments between any two adults in love when the age of one of them dissolves before the other's eyes, when the first refuge of the soul at its creation is laid bare and skinless as a sunbeam through a window. Innocence and vulnerability, two unmeasurable quantities...Perhaps that is the essence of the protection's intimacy, that it dwells in camouflage and justifies itself in stillness.” 8 likes
“Wherever love comes from, whatever is its genesis, it isn’t like a quantity of gold or diamonds, even water in the earth-a fixed quantity, Fos thought. You can’t use up love, deplete it at its source. Love exists beyond fixed limits. Beyond what you can see or count.” 5 likes