Start by marking “Star Wars: The High Republic #1” as Want to Read:
Star Wars: The High Republic #1

Star Wars: The High Republic #1

(Star Wars: The High Republic #1)

BEFORE THE SKYWALKER SAGA! THE GOLDEN AGE OF THE JEDI! A new era of STAR WARS storytelling begins. It is centuries before the SKYWALKER SAGA. The JEDI are at their height, protecting the galaxy as REPUBLIC pioneers push out into new territories. As the Frontier prepares for the dedication of majestic STARLIGHT BEACON, PADAWAN KEEVE TRENNIS faces the ultimate choice — will ...more
Published January 6th 2021 by Marvel Comics

To ask other readers questions about Star Wars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Wars

Start your review of Star Wars: The High Republic #1
Andrew
Jan 06, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was very interesting and I'm excited to see what happens in the new age of the Star Wars canon.

Kanrii was adorable and I love him.

Keeve is an interesting character and I'm excited to follow her through her future adventures.
Tiago
Jan 06, 2021 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
I don't even know how to review this because there's basically no plot here, we have a generic Disney strong female lead with a generic trendy haircut, generic Jedi council shenanigans, generic Star Wars life planet, and not a hint of war... on Star Wars.

I'm gonna have to wait for the next issues to see what this is all about, but so far it feels like Star Wars is about to become more Disneyesque than ever before, so yeah, not looking good.
Patricia
Jan 09, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-star-wars
A great comic with lots of action and some quiet moments in between! I loved the mixture of the pastel world Shuraden and the bright, opaque Starlight Beacon. Keeve Trannis and Sskeer are an absolute pleasure.
However, this comic spoils a few things from Light of the Jedi, so I recommend reading the novel first to understand all the references!

I've also written a full spoiler review in German for Jedi-Bibliothek which you can read here: https://jedi-bibliothek.de/2021/01/ma...
Andreas
Jan 06, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a special feeling to dive into a completely new era of Star Wars, and this short comic has successfully gotten my attention. Not too thrilled over the four week wait for the next issue tho... ...more
Alexandra Elend Wolf
I'm planning to drown myself in The High Republic era for as long as I can and that includes this comic.

Comics make my reading life so much better and enjoyable. I just love them to pieces. So, the first comic I picked this year I wanted it to be special in some way and, I figured, this one is a great choice for that.

Also, it's funny that last year's first comic was also a Star Wars comic... I really like that.
Matěj Komiksumec
Nerad říkám já jsem vám to říkal, ale já jsem vám to říkal! Nečekal jsem nic takže mě mohlo jen překvapit což se nekonalo. První issue nové Star Wars éry je předvídatelné, nezajímavé a na můj vkus až extrémně cílené na děti. Kresba a panelování mi rovněž neseděli a já tady čichám průser. Pokud čtete ostatní Star Wars od Marvelu nijak vás to nepřekvapí a naopak si spíš dáte zábavnou akci od Aarona než tohle protože to krom nového období nijak nevybočuje.
RG
Jan 09, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually didnt mind this. Yeh theres no actual story but I feel like it just gave us the overview of the characters. The plot will come within the next few issues ( I hope). Its pure disney all over. Clean characters, fun pop looking characters, light hearted humour. Yeh its not perfect but its given us star wars fans hopefully a new direction and canon material
Marina
Jan 10, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic-books
4.5/5

Que emoción empezar la nueva era de Star Wars, era que va a molar MUCHO. Número de presentación de personajes, pero que ejemplifica muy bien la esencia de Star Wars. Enamorada ya de los nuevos personajes y deseando poder leer la primera novela.
Timothy
Jan 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a life long fan of Star Wars since the 80’s, this first comic kicking off a new era has got me hooked!

I’ve been enjoying Star Wars for over 40 years through movies, books, video games and comics. I found this first issue to include everything I love about Star Wars. Action, comedy, drama, mystery, and hope.

My only ‘complaint’ is that I want to know so much about these new characters NOW... but since the story has only just begun, I’ll just have to patiently wait for future installments in or
Oneirosophos
Jan 14, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
VERY impressed! A strong start to a fresh world-building!
Krystal Jewel Thomas
Jan 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
All the High Republic stuff is living up to the hype so far. I loved this and I can't wait for the next chapter. ...more
Zeina
Jan 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was such a good introduction for the new characters, I also loved the illustrations.
Rachel Goodman
Jan 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVE where this is heading

This works so well with Light of the Jedi... it was AMAZING having the comic to get a better view of some of the characters we’ve already met.
Amy Walker  - Trans-Scribe Reviews
The High Republic has been coming for a while now, teased with some amazing artwork and brief glimpses of the story, this new age for the Star Wars universe has been one of the more anticipated parts of the franchise for a while now, and this month it finally arrives. As well as Light of the Jedi, a new prose novel by Charles Soule, readers also get to step into this new era in comics too, with Star Wars: The high Republic #1, written by Cavan Scott.

This first issue introduces new readers to the
Christopher
Jan 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Star Wars: The High Republic shows us the period of the High Republic 200 years before the ents of The Phantom Menace! The Jedi are at their height and everything in the Republic is at peace! We are then introduced to Padawan Keeve Trennis who is completing her Jedi training under her master Sskeer! Keeve Trennis is epically earnest but her portrayl is excellently three-dimensional with all of her personality beign worn on her sleeve! At the same time her master Sskeer is completely up to more t ...more
Kelvin
Jan 15, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I usually don't review single issued comics because the plot is usually episodic and relies heavily on the followup issues to make a complete story, but I found this first issue all right.

The artwork is fantastic, outside of that, the story is just a day-in-the-life of a Jedi Padawan. Or more likely, an hour in this case

If this were a book, this would easily be like the first 3 chapters of a novel. The ending was pretty weird. I'm assuming the dude at the end had a Force vision or something. Th
Hope M
Jan 10, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars-love
This is a really strong start to a new line of comics. The characters are really fun, likable, and have beautiful designs. Ario Anindito really goes all out with artwork.
The only thing I'm wondering is how good it is as an introduction to the High Republic. I'm currently halfway through Soule's novel, Light of the Jedi. So I've been introduced to some of these characters through the novel. It was hard to separate out my previous knowledge and look at the comic on its own.
Still, this is a solid o
Ashe Catlin
And here I thought Marvel could do no wrong, they've been knocking it out the park with Star Wars since 2014.

Now we have this, it's kind of dull and boring. You get a lot of action pieces but as they don't bother building up any of the characters, you don't really care what is happening to them. There is an annoying bug and people babbling on about leading something, without giving any indication what it actually means or what it is.

I'm a pretty big Star Wars fan and for something to be this co
Steven Shinder
I like the new characters, but the plot was pretty predictable. It was kinda neat that it references events from Light of the Jedi. But with that being the case, why couldn’t Light of the Jedi have been released back in August? All this time I’ve thought that the novels were delayed because of the comics, and I don’t get why the novel and this comic had to be released a day apart. Not everyone reads novels at a quick pace.
Eileen F. Paredes
A Very Good Start

After enjoying Cavan Scott’s Dooku: Jedi Lost, I am pleased that this too is turning out to be a very good story. This is era is very different from others in the Star Wars timeline, yet similar elements remain, It’s those similarities that will sustain this series. Looking forward to the next issue to see what’s next for Keeve and Sskeer.
Marek Bartoš
First issue and a major meh...

I had no expectations and they were not exceeded. Not insluted or anything, just not pleased as a reader. It showed no promise for the future, reminded me of some fan-fiction not very talented amateurs did.

Gonna buy the issue 2 anyway and will hope it gets better.

So far... meh the force be with us all
Ben Keneally-Smith
Jan 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, 2021
A fun introduction to the series. Gives you a feel for the scope of the Jedi in the 200 years prior to the films and introduces character's I'm excited to learn more about. It leaves a lot of open doors that I can't wait to peak through. All in all, exactly what I was hoping.
And I would put money on it that Avar Kriss has been drawn with Jodie Whittaker in mind to play her!
Indah Threez Lestari
Interesting age... tapi tetep aja ada Yoda!
Lauren
Jan 10, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting, albeit fairly plotless and quick, beginning to this story.
Keeve seems like an interesting character and I look forward to seeing where her story goes. I like that she uses a dual blade saber. Very cool. The art is beautiful. The writing decent.
But it is just a short little intro to the characters so there’s not a lot of substance. I sort of wish I’d waited to purchase the compendium of issues that will likely release in the future. But oh well. Worth a read if you really
Horrid Beasts
Seen all of this before. 2.5 out of 5 stars.
Patrick
Jan 09, 2021 rated it really liked it
Curses! I got sucked in. I haven't read a single issue in almost two years! I stick to collections/volumes.

But...The High Republic, man!

Maybe it was worth it. Maybe I'm excited. Maybe seeing a 700-ish year old Yoda was cool.

Most importantly...seeing all the other new characters was reinvigorating. I think I'm going to LOVE the novel I'm about to read set in this same period.
Gustavo Berman
The nosy little creature was fun.
Everything else was meh
Maggie
Jan 15, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first issue of Marvel’s Star Wars: The High Republic comic book was released earlier this month and it is set in the midst of a great disaster. READ MORE: https://yourmoneygeek.com/review-marv...

The highly anticipated Lucasfilm Publishing initiative, Star Wars: The High Republic, launched in early January with Charles Soule’s Light of the Jedi and Justina Ireland’s A Test of Courage. Cavan Scott’s Star Wars: The High Republic #1 comic book is set in the middle of the cataclysmic events of Li
Shadowdenizen
Jan 15, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars.

Ok, sorry if this is a bit ranty (and maybe a little schizophrenic, since I have mixed feelings (to say the least) about this franchise right now.)

This comic was fine. It introduced some characters, and started to set up a sort of story. It was interesting enough for me to put on my pull list for now. (Sounds like this is a multi-platform initiative, like they've tried in the past.)

But when it came to a star-rating I wasn't sure whether to rate it up or down... I CERTAINLY enjoy them t
Soren Schrag
Jan 08, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought that this comic, albeit short, was a good introduction to the High Republic era. It is an average first issue and not many eventful things happen except the introduction of our characters and their main goals.
The protagonist of the comic is Keeve Trennis, a young and emotional padawan. One thing I thought was odd was the amount of cursing Keeve does throughout the comic (of course the cursing is fictional, using words like "kriff" as a replacement to real words). I do think the cursin

• Light of the Jedi (Star Wars: The High Republic)
  • Star Wars: Darth Vader (2020-) #8
  • A Test of Courage (Star Wars: The High Republic)
  • Star Wars (2020-) #10
  • Star Wars: Darth Vader (2020-) #7
  • Star Wars: Darth Vader (2020-) #6
  • Star Wars: Darth Vader by Greg Pak, Vol. 1: Dark Heart of the Sith
  • Star Wars: Bounty Hunters (2020-) #8
  • Eternals (2021-) #1
  • From a Certain Point of View: The Empire Strikes Back (From a Certain Point of View, #2)
  • Future State: The Next Batman (2021-2021) #1 (Future State (2021-))
  • Future State: Wonder Woman (2021-2021) #1
  • Star Wars: Darth Vader (2020-) #1
  • Star Wars: Doctor Aphra (2020-) #6
  • Star Wars (2020-) #9
  • Star Wars (2020-) #8
  • Star Wars (2020-) #7
  • The High Republic Free Digital Sampler

Star Wars: The High Republic (3 books)
  • Star Wars: The High Republic #2
  • Star Wars: The High Republic #3

News & Interviews

Signed up for the 2021 Goodreads Reading Challenge and looking for tips on how to discover and read more books? We’ve got your back. (And if...