Jump to ratings and reviews

The Second Coming of Steve Jobs

From the acclaimed Vanity Fair and GQ journalist-an unprecedented, in-depth portrait of the man whose return to Apple precipitated one of the biggest turnarounds in business history. With a new epilogue on Apple's future survival in today's roller-coaster economy, here is the revealing biography that blew away the critics and stirred controversy within industry and media circles around the country.

352 pages, Paperback

First published January 1, 2000

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Alan Deutschman

9 books32 followers
Alan Deutschman is currently writing "Walk the Walk," a book about leadership, which will be published in September 2009 by the Portfolio imprint at Penguin.

His blog about leadership is at:

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 30 of 49 reviews
115 reviews
Read
July 25, 2012
I used Tandy TSR 80 and Commodore 64 computers in middle school. Circa late middle school, early high school my parents bought us an Apple IIe for Christmas. That computer saw us through high school history and English papers (along with a dot matrix printer). I was aware that other Apple computers had come out during that time, but I didn't pay much attention. There were IBM computers in college, and I bought my own IBM compatible PC after freshman year and ran Windows 3.1. Graduate school had macintosh computers, and I wrote my dissertation on a fancy new G3 desktop. I gave away my PC as Rachel had a macintosh. Her mom and grandparents went through many iterations of macs. Used an eMac or was it an iMac for my post-doc. Bought our first computer together in 2002, a Dell laptop to travel across the country with us. Then a Dell desktop, then another Dell laptop. Both of my employers used IBM compatibles. I've used XP, Vista, and 7. I see myself as a Windows person, but I have a checkered past and I love technology. So perhaps it is not surprising that I started following Apple when the first iphone came out. And not just Apple, but Steve Jobs. Since the first iphone, I've watched all the Apple WWDC events with Steve. Sadly, I watched the iphone 4S unveiling when Steve wasn't there and passed soon afterward. I watched the Apple remembrance. Steve, his company, and its products have inspired and wowed me, so I wanted to know more about Steve. He wasn't perfect which this book definitely brings to light. And perhaps he got more credit for Pixar than deserved. But he was a visionary and a showman full of hyperbole, and he wanted to bring computers to the masses. And for that, I am very grateful.
4 reviews1 follower
April 14, 2009
This is was and still remains to be a major inspiration for me!
If you are a computer tech head, business owner or a creative person,
I highly recommend this read!
Profile Image for Lyn Richards.
405 reviews6 followers
April 26, 2015
Steve Jobs was a driven man who was a futurist and brought Apple back from the brink of extinction, and brought us an iGeneration of everything. That is of course after being fired by Apple many decades earlier, fighting his own inner demons, and quite frankly if this book is to be believed an Jekyll and Hyde character of the charismatic persona to an absolute prick to those who worked for him and interviewed him.

As a parent I also did not warm to a person that would not acknowledge his first born for many years despite a DNA test result of 95% positive.

A leader can be a perfectionist and still be inspired by their staff and also be respectful; Jobs appears to come across as sporadically respectful of others and rather arrogant enough to think that others should be inspired only by him.

I enjoyed the way this book was written, yes it was written by one of those journalists ceremoniously with whom Jobs was completely rude to; and I acknowledge this book did cast a negative slant. This book however left me seeking out other sources to see if it was simply biased without seeing all the positives that Jobs brought to the world. This is the sign of a good book, when it piques your interest about a topic. By all accounts this is a balanced view of Steve Jobs based on the open source information available. A great read.
69 reviews1 follower
March 24, 2010
Clearly this book did not add a great deal to the often rumored Bi-Polar personality of Steve Jobs. It did however add a very important concept, technology isn't so much about producing a product any longer, it's about content and content consumption.

I do not know a great deal of the early history of Apple. At some point Jobs had to have technical knowledge along the lines of Bill Gates writing software code. As explained in this book, he's a marketing person and in fact one of the worst products of that business.

Interesting that you could see the progression and creation of the Ipod at the end of this book, but at the time of it's writing it had not come out yet.

Good book. Nice early history of Pixar as well.
Profile Image for Charles.
86 reviews17 followers
January 2, 2015
What a great read. It had a drama, dirt, personalities, and style. It was my first encounter with the legend. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Personally, I find it so easy to worship this man. He has lots of bad qualities. Even those traits, I find them attractive. I guess that's what charisma means. Steve jobs has almost every trait that a leader should have. He's that unique.
Profile Image for Alan.
151 reviews
May 4, 2015
This book was written after the second coming of Steve Jobs but before the third coming. (i.e. before the iPod). He had made Apple a success, then been kicked out, Made a real hash of NEXT and was funding but failing badly at Pixar. And then completely due to his funding but not really due to any management from Jobs, (in fact he had been trying to sell Pixar for years, was laying off lots of loyal staff without any payoffs) suddenly Toy Story came out and Jobs pushed his way to the front and centre. From there of course he was super rich, he rejoined Apple and made a massive success of that and then as this book ends that second period at Apple was on a horrible downward cycle, falling sales increasing losses. As of course we all know now, the Ipod, Iphone and Ipad were all just around the corner. What is universal through this is Jobs seems to be a pain in the ass bully with massive charisma, but little human understanding. A good book written in a different period, because all the books in recent years about Jobs are written by people who seem blinded by his brilliance and skip over his many failings. No doubt he was a marketing great, but as you can see in this. A lot of luck and good timing was involved and he was such a perfectionist that often he seemed unable to move forward.
Profile Image for Carl.
70 reviews2 followers
April 3, 2008
The true story of how Steve Jobs pulled himself back up after being fired from Apple Computer to retake the reigns of one of the most unique computer companies that ever existed. He went on to return the company to greatness, but this book only predicted that it would happen -- then it actually did.
1 review1 follower
March 8, 2013
Insider view of Steve Jobs' workings in the Silicon Valley. You'll get to know not just Steve Jobs but all of the actors and actresses in the blockbuster movie of his life. Plus, it's an honest sketch of Good Steve and Bad Steve. Amazing, inspiring, gripping, engaging.

Best birthday gift ever!! Thanks, babe!
Profile Image for Elliot Richards.
240 reviews1 follower
October 7, 2015
Very well put together, easy to read, compelling in fact! Despite the book's age, I still found it an insightful read as to working out why people worship at the feet of the man. Whilst I like quite a few Apple products, I would never tolerate someone behaving like Steve. Or so I say until his RDF comes into play!
Profile Image for Todd Benschneider.
88 reviews4 followers
September 3, 2018
Very interesting book, really helped me get a colorful picture of what Silicon Valley was like in the growth years of the 90s.

Seems very realistic and definitely does not paint Jobs in a very flattering biography, however, it also doesn’t come across as a hatchet job funded by Jobs opponents.

There aren’t really any valuable management take away for the reader other than how Jobs obsession with winning negotiation created a double edge sword, even when it meant losing a critical and profitable deal over some trivial concessions.

The story did lower the level of admiration I had for Jobs, based on the book’s presentation that he had very little input on Pixar’s management strategy other than steering and hyping its eventual IPO.
Profile Image for Dennis McGhee.
17 reviews
April 16, 2020
I really did not like this one. The timeline is jumpy and disorienting. Steve feels like a side character while the book goes on about Lucasfilm, Pixar, and other companies or people with unnecessary detail. There were several whole thoughts and sentences repeated word for word a couples times, and there were several whole thoughts and sentences repeated word for word a couples times. It earned the second star because there is some great content here. The introduction of the iMac is so much fun.
1 review1 follower
September 8, 2018
Surprising story, nicely written

I am big fan of Steve Jobs. The story is catchy and the book is readable for all categories of readers. Surprising revelations about Steve's character were planted and it gave me slightly different view on Apple. I recommend the book to all geeks who believe he was a God in order to put them on Earth.
Profile Image for James.
11 reviews
January 20, 2020
I enjoy these tech startup based books ( Well, not so startup at a Trillion dollar valuation, but you get my drift ) because you get a look inside the minds of the individuals who just saw things differently and broke trends at that time.
6 reviews1 follower
August 8, 2019
A nice story right after he was back to the company he founded, right before his recent success and back how he founded apple with Wozniak.
Profile Image for Ivan Ryadi.
5 reviews13 followers
February 6, 2017
Read this a while back, when Apple is on the brink of its successful path. iPod was everywhere on the planet and iTunes started to become the place of finding/buying your music. This is before the explosion of the Macs, and iPhone was in its early release.

The book provided insiders story about the type of work ethics that Jobs had, his determination and drives since the early days with Woz. It's quite a light autobiography and interesting read.
Profile Image for Dan.
78 reviews
February 11, 2008
Great read if you are at all interested in the world of business, technology, or Apple Inc. Steve is a fascinating person.

PG-13 equivalent for language quoting Jobs

(I sent a letter to the author asking about whether Jobs had read the book. The author responded that Jobs claims not to have read it.)
Profile Image for C.D. Reimer.
Author 70 books13 followers
October 17, 2011
I recently re-read this book since the death of Steve Jobs. This is my favorite book about Steve Jobs, taking place between his firing from Apple, forming NeXT in the aftermath, buying Pixar from George Lucas, and returning to Apple. The book ends long before iTunes, iPods and iPads are introduced that would form Steve Jobs' lasting legacy. A great read.
10 reviews9 followers
May 14, 2007
I always find it fascinating to learn about the personalties behind some of the world's best known names. This one was particularly interesting because Steve Jobs is one of those larger than life characters, and frankly I knew next to nothing about him before reading this book.
Profile Image for Harish P.
333 reviews4 followers
August 6, 2012
Digressive nonetheless it is about my hero. I enjoyed it. #first read on March 13 2010

/*** read this book for the third time. Narration was journalistic at times( as if it is an excerpt from a newspaper) but the research is good.
***/
Profile Image for Chris Davis.
55 reviews1 follower
February 2, 2014
This is a great story of the man who got kicked out of Apple and then asked back. I choose this over the Woz book as I thought the Job's story was probably more interesting. His twist and turns are actually quite entertaining. I would recommend.
Profile Image for Thom Beckett.
171 reviews10 followers
June 23, 2011
Interesting enough, but poorly written, very journalistic, and broadly lacking in any sources able to give real insight into Steve Jobs as a person.

Also, if he tells me that a company was 'bleeding money' one more time, he's going to find himself bleeding too.
Profile Image for Chris Lee.
24 reviews15 followers
February 21, 2012
My first Jobs book. Really enjoyed it. It mainly detailed the time between his stints at Apple, talking much about NeXT, Pixar and such. I'd heard some stuff regarding how critical he could be. His style was covered in detail. I found that to be intriguing.
Profile Image for Mike.
15 reviews2 followers
April 26, 2007
Pretty good book, covers the time up to the iMac (so no iPod stuff in there).
Profile Image for Warren.
71 reviews
Want to read
July 29, 2011
Not very good. Insider's homage to the creator of the "reality distortion field." Too much homage, in fact.
Profile Image for Andrew.
91 reviews4 followers
July 23, 2008
Why Apple is so powerful and successful. You need to be an ass (at times) to win.
Profile Image for Lauren.
54 reviews
December 12, 2008
If you're a Mac fan, this is a must read. I would like to lock Steve Jobs in a room with my father and see how it would turn out. ;)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 49 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.