Start by marking “The Clover Girls” as Want to Read:
The Clover Girls

The Clover Girls

"Like a true friendship, The Clover Girls is a novel you will forever savor and treasure." —Mary Alice Monroe, New York Times bestselling author

Elizabeth, Veronica, Rachel and Emily met at Camp Birchwood as girls in 1985, where over four summers they were the Clover Girls—inseparable for those magical few weeks of freedom—until the last summer that pulled them apart. Now a
Published May 18th 2021

To ask other readers questions about The Clover Girls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Clover Girls

Start your review of The Clover Girls
"Avonna
Check out all of my reviews at: https://www.avonnalovesgenres.com

THE CLOVER GIRLS by Viola Shipman (Wade Rouse) is an emotionally charged inspirational women’s fiction standalone by an author who has become a must read for me. I also must have a box of tissues by my side as I do.

Elizabeth “Liz”, Veronica “V”, Rachel “Rach” and Emily “Em” meet at Camp Birchwood for four summers starting in 1985 where they become known as The Clover Girls. So different and yet inseparable until the last summer wh
Kristy Harvey
Feb 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Moving story of friendship. A must read!
Judy
Apr 11, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up because I had read The Recipe Box and enjoyed that sweet story. This one is about four girls, Elizabeth, Veronica, Rachel and Emily, who met and bonded at Camp Birchwood in northern Michigan. They were best friends and met every summer at camp for several years. Then something happened to their friendship that drove a wedge between the girls. Now as the women are middle-aged and each is facing major life challenges, Liz, V and Rachel each receive a letter from Em with some ...more
Lorilin
May 09, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, fiction
I like the idea of the book--three former best friends return to the camp where they met after their fourth close friend dies--but the execution is clunky. Dialogue doesn't flow or sound natural. The political themes are too heavy-handed (Rachel's storyline?...please). I think the worst part is that the girls/women are actually really mean to each other. With friends like these, you know? The only character I identified with and felt much of anything positive toward was Liz. Rachel and V were aw ...more
Sherri Thacker
Viola Shipman has done it again! If you are a fan of the 80’s, you will LOVE this book. He nailed it in every way! What a great story and I felt like I travelled back in time to when I was in the 80’s. Wow what a treat! Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for this early release in exchange for my honest review. I love all his books and always look forward to reading his latest one.
Barbara Schultz
⭐⭐⭐.7 rounded up
My first Viola Shipman and it was such a delightful story, I have been looking forward to my next read.
Note: It is interesting that author Wade Rouse chose his grandmother’s name Viola
Shipman as his pen name. He states he grew up with her in the Ozarks and her
extraordinary life was filled with beauty, hope as well as tragedy and is his inspiration for
so many of his stories.

Here is a link for more info.

I really am not a Chick Lit/romance fan
Melissa
Apr 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was really looking forward to reading this novel. First of all, I enjoy Viola Shipman's comfort reads a lot. Second, this one has a different premise in comparison to her previous novels, as it focuses on three women and goes back and forth between time periods. As usual, it did not disappoint!

This was a sweet story about friendship and nostalgia. I love that Viola placed it at a camp during the summer. The descriptions made me feel like I was right there and I could practically smell the camp
MicheleReader
Jun 13, 2021 rated it really liked it
In 1985, four girls from different backgrounds head out to summer camp in a northern Michigan resort town. At Camp Birchwood, Emily, Veronica, Elizabeth and Rachel form an immediate bond. As their initials spell out, they hail that they will be friends 4-E-V-E-R. But it didn’t turn out that way. And in present day, Veronica, once a successful model, struggles with the loss of her independence and a troubled marriage. Elizabeth (Liz) is divorced, feels she never fulfilled her potential and watche ...more
Mary Jackson _TheMaryReader
May 07, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2021
I love all things Friendship and I really love books about friendship, the good the bad and the ugly. Shipman has given us a book to treasure and it makes the perfect gift to give all your friends.
I will never look at a yard of clover the same way ever again.
I loved the '80's get ready to be transported back to the good ole days with this one.
I have read all of Shipman's novels and I will be honest this is the best one by far.
I gave this book 4.5 stars and I HIGHLY recommend it.
The Mary Reader
Susan
THE CLOVER GIRLS by Viola Shipman is only my fourth book read by him, but he broke my heart over and over again and he owes me a box of tissues. I cried more than five times and I’m not ashamed of that. THE CLOVER GIRLS had me tearing up and trying to breathe past the huge lump in my throat over and over again. Okay so Viola Shipman is a pen name and the author is actually a man so I’m not crazy calling Viola a him!😂

I enjoyed the flashback scenes and getting to know how the friends endured hards
Sue
I picked up my first Viola Shipman book because it was about Michigan. I grew up there and have fond memories of spending summers at Lake Michigan. Now after reading all of his books, I can tell you without a doubt that he is a fantastic writer who always tells a story that will tug at your heart and leave you feeling good about life. He is one of those few authors whose books I will buy without even knowing what the book is about because I KNOW that it will be fantastic.

The Clover Girls has dua
Robin Loves Reading

Elizabeth. Veronica. Emily. Rachel. - Yes, E V E R. Meeting for the first time at camp, they discover a four-leaf clover. These four become fast friends - perhaps friends forever. They became known at the camp, as campers, then counselors - as The Clover Girls.

How did these four become so close then go thirty years without ever seeing each other again? What happened that they are now in each other's lives once more?

Sadly, Elizabeth (Liz), Veronica (V) and Rachel each receive a letter from Emily.
Judy Christiana
Mar 04, 2021 rated it really liked it
I am torn between how this book it is written (I think - good) and how I feel about what is being written about (not so good - friends that did not act as I think friends should). The book is about four friends from childhood, re-connecting as adults.

While I enjoyed reading this book, constantly in my mind is the fact that these girls became friends during their youth, since they were placed in the same housing unit in summer camp. They were “friends”, but not what I would consider to be a frien
Alison Smith
I won this book on a giveaway and was very excited to read this chick lit. I think everyone wishes they had a great, lifelong friend – much less, FOUR great, lifelong friends.

Unfortunately, most of the writing in this book is just cheesy. The drama roller coaster left my head spinning, and the coincidental perfection of some situations working out was too much. For example: how does a full-on relay race get organized, with personalized flags and all the right equipment, in an extremely rural ar
Kaye
I cried more than once reading this story of four friends who meet at summer camp in Michigan in 1985. The story is set in 2021 and flashes back to different summers at the camp on the shores of Lake Michigan near Glen Arbor, MI. Four friends bond and then break apart in a big way. Two go on to fame both already peaking, one becomes a librarian (yay) and another who stays local, is divorced and sells real estate. Emily (the librarian) was the connector through the years and creates a situation t ...more
Chelsea
May 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, netgalley
Grab a box of tissues, a bottle of wine, turn off your phone and give yourself an evening alone to sit and read this work of art novel. There are truly not enough stars to give this book and have it be enough.

Em, Liz, V, and Rach are best friends.forever. They meet at summer camp when theyre kids and go back each and every summer. As they grow, their friendship is tested by both outside conflicts and internal friendship fights. As usually happens unfortunately, they began to always expect the b
Brenda
Apr 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, netgalley-2021
This is the first book that I have read from the author, Viola Shipman and was not aware until I was finished that it is the pen name of Wade Rouse. I was very impressed with the author's writing and will be reading more!
This book, The Clover Girls, was such a great story about the relationship between four women when they were teenagers and then between them as adults in their forties, after they meet again. The story is told with a dual timeline between summer of 1985 and summer of 2021. This
Myrna
Jun 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Not perfect but I enjoyed it immensely!
Dallas Strawn
Mar 09, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s 1985 and four young girls at summer camp form an everlasting bond and friendship...then have a major argument and only one of them speaks to each other for the next 30 years....and that one sends a letter to the remaining 3 saying by the time they’ll receive this letter she will have passed away from cancer and they need to return to the camp to work out their problems....

A beautifully written tale of strong female sisterhood, how those relationships survive through strife and challenges, a
Annette
Apr 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read-2021
Four girls meet at summer camp and become friends. That friendship changes and life gets in the way, they don’t keep in touch like they should. Three of them receive a letter from the fourth friend that brings them back to the camp where they first met.
This book is about friendships and how their life changed after summer camp. It’s about forgetting the closeness they once had and coming back together to heal old hurts.
I really enjoyed this book. It made me remember going to camp.
Thanks to the
ROBIN RUIZ
Mar 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“These girls..these women...these friendships... I am me because of them.”
The Clover Girls first meet at summer sleep away camp in the 1980’s , through the years, Em, Liz, V and Rachel have lost touch, not only with each other but with themselves.
When they receive a letter from Em, it is time to return to the camp and confront not only why they stopped speaking but confront the people they have become .
This book alternates between the 1980’s and current day and mixes nostalgia, friendship, forg
Maggie
Feb 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow I devoured this book in 2 days! I can’t recommend it enough. So many key takeaways and reminds you to cherish your friendships. Loved it so much!
Carla Johnson-Hicks
I have read a few Viola Shipman books over the last year and thoroughly enjoyed them. When I saw this one was about four friends and summer camp, I jumped at this summer read. The story is about Elizabeth, Veronica, Rachel and Emily, who met and bonded at Camp Birchwood in northern Michigan. The first year they were there, they bonded, even though they were very different from one another. They became the Clover Girls, naming themselves after the four leaf clover that Emily found. Their initials ...more
Lisa Leone-campbell
The Clover Girls is a wonderful story, although heartbreaking story about the reconnecting of a group of girls who met during their first night of summer camp years ago. Be prepared for tears…yours!

Veronica (V), Rachel, Emily and Elizabeth (Liz) met at Camp Birchwood back in the 1980’s. Dubbed the “Clover Girls” because when they met they were all feeling lonely and lost, and found a four-leaf clover in a field that very night and knew they would be friends forever.

Through their camp years all t
Lisa
Jun 01, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a moving story of friendship and I felt the plot was very well developed. I’ve never had that kind of experience these girls had in the story and I couldn’t always connect with the characters but I did enjoy it. The message of this book is very clear. The empowerment of women is front and center in this book along with the effects of social media on young people and how they can or cannot relate on a personal level face-to-face. Though I think those are two really good messages, by the S ...more
Carol Deegan
May 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book about friendship and how it can endure despite set-backs is amazing! Viola Shipman/Wade Rouse has amazing insight into the way humans often treat each other despite the fact they are friends. Four young girls became The Clover Girls at camp and vowed to be friends forever. Because of misinterpretations of things that happened, the women drifted apart. Through a series of letters they are brought back together by one of girls who has now died from cancer, and reunite at the camp. The st ...more
Nicola Short
May 15, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The clover represents faith, love and hope.
The fourth is for good luck.
Four girls meet at summer camp
Fast friends…..they are The Clover Girls.
Elizabeth, Veronica, Emily and Rachel…..
The Clover Girls is a emotional story about the four girls from their camp days to adulthood. Through the years they have drifted apart due to many reasons. When Emily sends them a letter, their life’s are put upside down. What is she asking them to do?
Will it help heal the major past issues in their relationship?
N
Kathryn
The Clover Girls is a thought provoking read. Viola Shipman writes about three girls who met at summer camp over the years and formed a rich friendship. But did it stay that way?

Each of the girls has their own life challenges in childhood and adulthood. Now three of them are back at Camp Birchwood faced with how they have become within themselves and with each other.

The story explores the theme of friendship, what helps a friendship survive and what brings about the demise of one. As you read
Addie BookCrazyBlogger
May 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-s
Elizabeth, Veronica, Rachel and Emily met as girls at Camp Birchwood in 1985, all becoming best friends forever nicknamed “The Clover Girls.” Veronica was the leader, Liz was the musical one, Rachel the movie star and Emily was the mom. They swore nothing would tear them apart until the last summer everything crashed and burned. Now it’s 2021: Veronica struggles with her identity before her family, Rachel has become a political conservative hack (think Tomi Lady who screams a lot), Liz is the ca ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• The Soulmate Equation
  • The Stepsisters
  • The Bookstore on the Beach
  • The Bookseller's Secret
  • Under the Southern Sky
  • Family Reunion
  • The Summer of Lost and Found (Beach House, #7)
  • The Newcomer
  • The Therapist
  • Complications
  • The Sinful Lives of Trophy Wives
  • The Sound Between the Notes
  • Into the Blue (By the Sea, #3)
See top shelves…
Dear Reader:

Do you have a BFF? Do you know more about each other than anyone else in the world? Than my new novel, The Clover Girls, (May 18) is for you!

The Clover Girls is about four very different girls who become best friends at summer camp in the 1980s until life, death, adulthood and childhood betrayals draw them apart.

The novel is an ode to friends and dreams, how each changes our lives