Start by marking “The Case of the Boy in Blue” as Want to Read:
The Case of the Boy in Blue

The Case of the Boy in Blue

Leonard Quill, private investigator, never expected a case to walk through his door quite like this one, complete with murder, a frame job, blackmail, and powerful players, especially coming from a man with bright blue eyes behind his glasses, a crooked bow tie, and an impossible smile.
Published February 14th 2021 by Amanda Meuwissen Books (first published January 2021)

To ask other readers questions about The Case of the Boy in Blue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case of the Boy in Blue

Start your review of The Case of the Boy in Blue
Jerri
Feb 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
This one has it all. An old fashioned private eye with a hat and overcoat, a bad*** woman bodyguard, the mob, and vengeance. And a little nerd that is not at all what he seems. Fun read!
Joyfully Jay
Feb 16, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: veronica
A Joyfully Jay review.

The Case of the Boy in Blue feels like a homage to the noir crime genre. I can’t quite nail down a time period for this, though there are some hints at the 1940s with slang like “dame” and Roxanne’s sartorial selections. I think Meusissen worked the short story format well. First, there was plenty of world-building detail that let me create an enjoyable mental image of the time period. Next, I thought the three most prominent characters were well differentiated in
Devoted❤️Reader
Jan 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Sunshine

“This kid was going to be trouble, I just knew it.” I love mysteries and when the mystery is wrapped in detective noir paired with a romance, well, it’s a sure winner for me. Full of fun surprises, twists and amazing characters, I really hope this is the start of more for Leonard and his fantastic PI firm.
Shari Sakurai
Feb 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
*I received this novel for free in exchange for an honest review*

I really enjoyed reading this short mystery by Amanda Meuwissen. The atmosphere of the story had this gritty, dark feel to it which contrasted against Westley’s seemingly innocent characteristics. Leonard is a seasoned PI who finds himself not only drawn to the case but the man who brought it to him. The two of them have instant chemistry and work well together.

The case is full of intrigue and twists and turns that you won’t see co
Tanja OMGReads
Feb 12, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4star, feb-2021, omgreads
To call this a fast read would be an understatement - it's only 33 pages but in that 33 pages we have chemistry, action and mafia. Chasing the bad guy but along the way finding connection and friendship.

This was not my first read by the author and I enjoyed it as much as I did the first time I read her.

***Review copy requested and reviewed on behalf of OMGReads Blog***
Lillian Francis
Delightful quick read. The tone was perfect for the noir style and despite being a short read the plot was perfectly formed.
Highly recommended.
ReadingAllNite
Feb 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
Sort of a Sam Spade character and a dude instead of a dame for a client and his partner is a dame that kicks ass & takes names. Very complete for such a short story.
Sascia Weyler
Feb 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing
That was an amazing short story for me to read. I know literature by Amanda Meuwissen from before, read quite a few books by her, but this short was different and intriguing. I could not put it down until it finished.
As you know by the blurb, there is Leonard, a private investigator who likes taking things in his own hands his own way, tough and experienced. He got this new young client who he calls Blue. For me personally it triggered a few things: Leonard sees him as an innocent young guy, but
Maggie
Feb 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I love the vibe of this novel. It reminds me of one of those black and white film noirs. Well done, author. I swore I was in an old-school detective film by the voice of Leonard, the PI hired by Mr. Blue Eyes himself Westley.

First off, the characters. I adore Leonard. He’s tough, but not your typical alpha male. He’s also street-smart. Even a little nonchalant at times. Overall, a good guy doing a great service for the crime-riddled neighbourhood.

As for Westley aka Blue Eyes, the author paints a
Jayne
Feb 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
When I was given the opportunity to review this book, I jumped at it. I like my noir fairly short (100,000 words of dark introspection and misery isn’t my thing.) And it was a new genre for me; gay noir romance. Irresistible.

And it was fun. Told from the POV of private detective, Leonard Quill, who falls for the charms of Westley Valentine, the boyish victim of organised crime, this novella was written in a gritty, clenched-teeth style reminiscent of old Bogart movies. The Boy In Blue also has a
Sif Wayne
Feb 13, 2021 rated it really liked it
Yet another enjoyable story from Amanda.

This short story was very fast-paced, making it a breeze to get through. It was over before I even knew it, and I was slightly disappointed by that only because I wanted read more.

The characters are all well written, especially the main three, I love how they have a good dynamic between the three of them. I personally really liked Roxanne because her character was very badass and cool. (And I just have a thing for lady assassins.)

The story ends on a hopefu
E.
Feb 18, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: suspense, novella, m-m, adult

“The Case of the Boy in Blue” by Amanda Meuwissen follows private investigator Leonard Quill as he takes on one of the most dangerous criminals in the city, partly due to an attractive blue-eyed man who has unexpected depths. Too bad they might not survive long enough to explore the attraction that threatens to derail the case before they finish it.

This gay mystery romance novella provides a deliciously noir atmosphere with several delightful twists on the stereotypical elements of thi
Maria E.
Feb 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is a very short story, so I can't say very much or describe any scenes without spoiling it. Leonard Quill is a P.I. in the style of Mickey Spillane, Sam Spade, Phillip Marlowe, or any other famous fictitional P.I. from the 40s and 50s. Remember when they would walk into their office and a sexy blonde would be waiting for them with some sob story that required the P.I. to put himself in danger? It's the same thing here, but this is an MM story so instead of a sexy blonde woman, his client is ...more
Michi
Jan 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is a noir detective romance... and oh, so good. From the first pages you get that noir feel. No one is who they seem and the pretty face isn’t just a pretty face.

I couldn’t put it down and everything unfolded so naturally. I was just as hypnotized as the main character by the man that walks in his office. Loved it. The ending is very satisfying - it’s hard to wrap up a short story and not feel like you’re left hanging, but this one does it so well.
RACHEL REED
Jan 31, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This was a short and sweet story.
I loved Westley and Leonard they were adorable together despite the age gap.

This delightful morsel packs action, romance and character depth.

I was awed by the author's ability to capture so much in this quick read.

All loose ends were neatly tied up and I was left satisfied with how the story ended though I wouldn't be opposed if the author did extend their story in the future.
Ashlee Shades
Feb 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This story read like a noir detective film. I enjoyed the author's writing style as it allowed for me to visualize each scene as though I was watching a black and white film brought to color.

There was mystery and suspense, the actions of the characters left you guessing and reguessing their motives while, at the same time, building the romance.

I thoroughly enjoyed this story and will look for more from this author.
Juniper Greer-Ashe
Feb 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This short story is perfectly paced, and the deftly built atmosphere and complex characters lurking within the standard noir tropes—the girl Friday, the hard boiled detective, the ingenue with the case not nearly as simple as it seems— all shine in 4 chapters that feel longer than they are. I loved these characters— Blue and Roxanne in particular, and would happily read many more of their adventures.

*I received an ARC of this book from the author and voluntarily composed an unbiased review.
Debra Guyette
Feb 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Amanda Meussen has penned a delicious noir detective story with The Case of the Boy in Blue. It has everything you could want – mystery, history and some perplexity as Leonard Quill works to solve the case and ensure the perpetrator pays for his crime. Of course, he has help from his client who provides more than a few surprises.

I really hope to see more stories like The Case of the Boy in Blue. This one gives a delicious taste of Amanda’s talent. I loved it.
Janet Hunt
Feb 23, 2021 rated it really liked it
This was a really good short novella about Leonard Quill who is a P.I. reminiscent of the 40’s or 50’s era. The set up reminded me of watching old black and white movies featuring Sam Spade or Mickey Spillane. Kept me enthralled for about an hour, really good story. I’m voluntarily leaving a review form an advanced copy that I received.
Micca
Jan 28, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq, short-stories, arc
I really enjoyed the ability to create an entire story with only 30 pages. Especially one where the MCs don't know each other from before, it made me want Leonard and Westley to have a full length book of their own. ...more
Anabela.M.
Feb 05, 2021 rated it really liked it
The atmosphere of this story was incredibly written, with black, white, shades of grey and a few splashes of color. In the bleak, cynical world Leonard lived in Westley brought the color he needed, a shy smile and blue eyes that weakened the detective's knees and the kind of danger that could of ended their lives.

A mystery, action, intrigue, twists and romance condensed into a short page count but feeling complete and absolutely satisfying. Kudos to the author for managing it. I hope there will
Ida Umphers
Feb 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story. I am a huge fan of the classic PI stories for their gritty, noir atmosphere and the fact that no character is every exactly what they seem. Meuwissen has captured that atmosphere perfectly and painted everyone in shades of grey rather than black and white. The conclusion wraps everything up nicely. I hope the author is considering a series.
EmilieSA
Feb 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2021
I really loved this one, and would be thrilled if the author decided to keep writing about that trio's adventure.
It felt much long than the story is, in a good way. It didn't feel rush or like the characters were barely fleshed out, and it's everything I love in short stories.
Mstay1985
Jan 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This was a short story done right. I was shocked that the author was able to so thoroughly describe a situation and with so few words.
Allison
Feb 19, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021, shorts, free
I enjoyed this introduction to this author. She did a good job of creating a complete story in a short which is always good to see. It made me want to check out more of her writing. I would love to see more about Roxanne. Leonard and Westley were great together.
Sid Blackwood
Feb 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
I received this book in exchange for an honest review.
A very enjoyable short story. It has a fun old Hollywood vibe to it and I really wish this had been a full length book. Both protagonist seemed very interesting and fit well together, I would have liked to spend a little more time with them.
Bishonen
Feb 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
As shirt stories go...

...this was too short. Because it was too good to be so short. I loved all of this book, and now I need prequels and sequels. Please?

Didi
I (promised myself to) strive to try new-to-me author more. The synopsis of THE CASE OF THE BOY IN BLUE intrigued me so I grabbed at the chance to read it. It is a noir age-gap and short gay romance between a private sleuth Leonard Quill and (his latest client) Westley Valentine.

Overall it’s a decent enough read but I’d like to stress on the word ‘short’ as this piece not only tried to grapple with the budding attraction between but also the case they were trying to uncover. It wouldn’t be wron
Christina Wade - BFD Book Blog
Feb 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
This is very much a Sam Spade/Dick Tracy type story. The obvious difference is Leonard’s ‘brute’ is a beautiful ‘dame’ and he falls for a man instead of a woman. I love that the enforcer in the story is a woman…and she’s no joke.

It’s a good story that is quick to read and surprisingly complete (although I always like more). There is a bit of a backstory that made me wonder if there was another book out there, but I didn’t look. The writing takes a bit of getting used to if you’ve not read a stor
Karen Edwards
Feb 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
This is a noir mystery with a classic noir mystery movie feel to it which makes the story come across a bit over the top, but in a good way. Look up classic noir movies if your not sure before diving in. It may make all the difference. This story isn't very long and I got through it rather quickly. You get private eyes, goons, guns, and corruption. While I loved Leonard and Westley, I really didn't feel the connection between them like I was hoping too. Other than that though, I really enjoyed t ...more

• The First Boy I Ever Kissed
  • Right as Raine (Aster Valley #1)
  • Winter Waites (Aster Valley #0.5)
  • Cry Wolf (Big Bad Wolf, #5)
  • Paper Airplanes (Perspective, #2)
  • #SlidingIntoMyDMs
  • Ring in the True
Amanda Meuwissen is a bisexual and happily married life-long geek. Primarily an M/M romance author with a focus on urban fantasy, she has a Bachelor of Arts in a personally designed Creative Writing major from St. Olaf College and is an avid consumer of fiction through film, prose, and video games. Amanda lives in Minneapolis, MN, with her husband, John, and their cat, Helga.