Start by marking “Praise Habit: Finding God in Sunsets and Sushi” as Want to Read:
Praise Habit: Finding God in Sunsets and Sushi

Praise Habit: Finding God in Sunsets and Sushi

Praise is something we are, not something we do. Musician David Crowder redefines our perspective of God and helps us develop a habit of praising God by reflecting on targeted psalms from The Message//REMIX. Ideal for teens and those who love the beauty of the Psalms.
Published January 28th 2005 by NavPress Publishing Group (first published January 14th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Praise Habit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Praise Habit

Start your review of Praise Habit: Finding God in Sunsets and Sushi
Jamie
Sep 25, 2013 added it
Another great one full of awesome quotes!

“Things are often more meaningful when they come out of natural need. You don’t think about the beating of your heart until things go amiss. And there aren’t many things much sweeter than breath after lack of it. Food tastes better when you’re hungry, not just because your watch says its twelve o’clock. And sleep! What if you could just take a nap whenever you felt tired? And how calamitous when these things aren’t happening when required?

We were made to
melissa
Jul 29, 2007 rated it liked it
I randomly found out a few years ago that a guy I was in church youth group with is/was in a band with the author. Fact: I had a terrible schoolgirl crush on him. Fact: one year at summer camp some girls wrote some anonymous love notes to him and he thought they were all from me. Fact: this is nothing in comparison to some of the more embarrassing moments I had growing up. and Fact: seeing him now I wouldn't touch him with a 30 foot pole.

That was NOT meant to be mean. I'm just saying, things cha
Marissa Joyce
Jun 22, 2010 rated it liked it
if someone were to ask me for a great book explaining the Psalms, I would probably not recommend this book. However, if someone were to ask me "Hey Marissa, what's David Crowder like?" Then I would send them straight to this book. I found the stories with each chapter to be gratuitous and for the most part only tangentially related to the subject of the Psalms. Not my fav.
Dawn
I really wanted to like this book.... But it was just too hard to get through, just so boring. A rare book I started and didn't finish, just couldn't make myself. There were some good points in what I was able to read.
Seth Comfort
Jan 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
I just finished reading Praise Habit Finding God in Sunsets and Sushi, by David Crowder and I have to say it is fantastic. David digs into what it means to give God praise and he does so by unpacking the Psalms. This book is full on tangents and hilarious stories from David's own life that I could relate to. At times, I was wondering "Where is he going with this story..." but then he would tie it together with the Psalm and it would open up new understanding of God. David does an excellent job o ...more
Annalee
Apr 02, 2007 rated it really liked it
I loved Crowder's meditations on selected Psalms with birdwalks on everything from marshmallow Peeps to Stretch Armstrong. Psalms are taken from The Message: Remix, which is a present-day vernacular interpretation (not translation, if I have my terms right) of the Bible. I like putting it next to the King James version for added interest. Oh, and Crowder compares daily praise to wearing a habit (as in nuns), hence the title and appendix of nun photos. So fun.
Gabrielle
Aug 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
David Crowder has a way of looking at life that is contagious and gripping. He helps you to find God where he is and not where you left him. Even in a Chic-Fil-a sandwich. (Read it....you'll understand)
Christie-Lee
Jun 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
David Crowder is a very funny writer. He uses situations in his life and relates them to the Psalms on a level that everyone can understand much more clearly. I wanted to read this book for a very long time because David Crowder is my favorite Christian Band, and this book did not disappoint me. :)
David Nixon
Aug 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A must read for everyone who enjoys worshipping with David Crowder. This book is very enjoyable from the first chapter to the last. Filled with laughter and simplistic insights, I find myself wanting to enjoy God as a child would enjoy life.
Jonah Bateson
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Praise Habit: Finding God in Sunsets and Sushi is all about worship in the everyday. The majority of the book acts almost as a daily devotional, beginning with a Psalm from The Message translation of the Bible and continuing with Crowder's thoughts. Crowder's thoughts are entertaining in their unapologetic quirkiness, bouncing from story, to science lesson, to pop culture reference, and finally to scripture in hilarious fashion with an energy that is hard not to be captivated by. Here we get an ...more
Michael
Apr 16, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: religious
It was very basic and random. It seemed more like random babbling than a coherent book about anything. If you are a big David Crowder fan and you like him and his songs, read this book. If you don't like him or if you want to understand the bible better, don't get this book. All the scripture used is the message, which is very... free with its paraphrasing of scripture. Not a big deal there, but combined with the aimless nature of the book, it was just kinda another thing. Crowder does this thin ...more
Eric
Jun 27, 2010 rated it liked it
This book is written in hopes that you begin to find God everywhere. Yes, in church on Sunday at 9:00 a.m., but also in the seemingly mundane. In traffic on Tuesday at 5:15 p.m. In a parent-teacher meeting. In the colors of the sunset. On the other end of a tragic phone call. Every second is an opportunity for praise. There is a choosing to be made. A choosing at each moment. This is the Praise Habit.

The David Crowder Band has been one of my personal favorite musical groups since I discovered t
Elizabeth Davis
Jul 27, 2019 rated it liked it
What I enjoyed about this book is that each installment was really more of a meditation than application (not that you couldn’t apply it to your life if needed) on a chosen psalm. I would recommend reading the psalm first in whichever translation is preferred, simply because he quotes The Message at the beginning of each, & I have always found The Message to be more effective/powerful alongside a translation and not just as a paraphrase. ...more
Nick Carrico
Mar 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is more of a 3.5. I rounded it up to a four because it’s Crowder. I wanted to love this book because I love Crowder. I think he’s one of the most talented and creative artists out there, and he definitely brought his quirkiness to this book. It just felt scattered and his stories seemed unrelated at times. It’s not a bad book, but definitely not my first recommendation for a book about worship.
antony
Dec 26, 2018 rated it liked it
I just couldn’t get into this book, I am not sure why. It just didn’t seem to have a point. Somehow that is important to me.

I love the Message translation that it refers to and I like the idea of people revealing their realisations and David Crowder does not appear to be an unintelligent person without insight.

Check out the other review of you are considering buying this. People like it.
Yen C
Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It’s a short read, but it made me cry and laugh in the span of it. I don’t think David Crowder brings anything new, but he emphasizes again and again what is central to the Bible — that we live to glorify and praise God. He focuses on the main points of a selection of Psalms using hilarious and thoughtful illustrations and he always points back to the glory of God.
Keith Bell
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Second time through this one. Crowder is a greater entertainer and he proves to be a good writer also. No over the top revelations here but he does provide a different perspective on the psalms and how to approach them. His candor and humour make it all that much better to read.
Jake Augeri
Sep 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Crowder takes a comedic look at a handful of the Psalms and what his personal response was.
Tim Suddeth
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great reminder to make praise a lifestyle. Does a good job of applying biblical lessons to life today.
Vicky
May 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
This wasn't really what I was expecting. A big chunk was just paraphrasing Psalms, then talking about them.
Joshua Haldeman
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Knowing David Crowder will be in my area next month and I just might have the opportunity to meet him, I wanted to read his book which I’ve had on my bookshelf for well over a year now.

This wasn’t the kind of book I expected, and that’s entirely alright. Instead of directions on HOW to praise God in all things (even sushi — bleh!), David brings our attention to the praise that simply IS in all things for the Christian. It’s not something we have to learn to do, it IS our very being, and it exist
Christopher
Oct 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: christianity
Putting his deep faith into incredible music is David Crowder's specialty. And, in this book, Mr. Crowder attempts to do the same thing in prose, with mixed results. It starts with an examination of what the phrase "praise habit" means and then moves into the bulk of the book: reprintings of select Psalms from "The Message" translation of the Bible followed by Mr. Crowder's quirky yet lucid commentaries. Don't get me wrong, I love many of his songs and there are some incredible gems of wisdom an ...more
Janet Sketchley
Feb 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian-living
Praise Habit is subtitled "Finding God in Sunsets and Sushi". I picked up this book knowing I needed to recognize and praise God more frequently in my day. David Crowder adds a deeper meaning to the title by linking to nuns' habits and suggesting the possibility of praise as our garment, of our lives becoming living praise. He calls us to a life larger and more free than the one we usually settle for.

The first part of the book explores the nature of praising God, and then provides a sampling of
Daniel
Sep 09, 2012 rated it liked it
I love David Crowder and DC*B. He's the reason and main inspiration for me leading worship now.

So I really wanted to read his books. Having been fighting my way through a mild (but lengthy) version of what people would probably call a "long, dark night of the soul", I decided I needed to do something--so I'm reading books. I read "Disappointment with God" earlier, and recommend it at every chance I get.

Praise Habit isn't bad. It has good theology, some fantastic points, and is entirely correct
Gideon Roberts
Mar 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Enjoyable. David Crowder is a writer all-around. I personally felt it was a bit content lacking, except for his end conclusions at each psalm mini-chapter. Also, though the Message translation can help shed light on some area (theme-wise), I found myself often wanting to open another bible translation to get a grasp of what was actually being said.

What I liked most? Two things.

1. Nunzilla. Genius.

2. The very theme of the book - putting a habit of praise on as one would put on clothing. This boo
Becky B
Crowder addresses the way our worship can become so routine as to become meaningless and encourages us to find ways to make worship fresh. That's the intro. The meat of the book is a selection of Psalms with Crowder's thoughts following the Message version of the Psalm.

Crowder is...unique. His humor and writing style can stretch conventional boundaries. Not that that's a bad thing. I found his intro part really on point and a good reminder to keep worship fresh. The part on the Psalms I didn't f
Jamey
Jul 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
I was actually surprised at how good a writer David Crowder is. I guess since he's in the music industry I didn't expect him to be a good writer, but he is. I think I like him because he voices the weird little thoughts of life that we don't normally think about. I enjoyed reading his reaction to various occurrences, and realized that I understand and agree with all these little nuances. I also enjoyed his writing style. He uses words that aren't normally used, but he is still very understandabl ...more
Craig
Jan 08, 2016 rated it liked it
David Crowder cracks me up. Every time I read something written by him, I can picture him speaking to me directly in his slightly awkward, yet personable way. This book's title sounds fairly 'out there' and no doubt some will heavily critique his discussion of the practice of lectio divina (which he doesn't exactly use (from memory) but harkens to as a kind of inspiration and call to seriously meditate on the Psalms. Essentially after the introductory chapters, Crowder spends the bulk of the boo ...more
Emily Bell
Sep 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
If you have ever struggled with the idea of legalism or routine in your daily quiet time and worship, this is the book for you. It approaches the struggles of growing up in an evangelical Christian world where worshiping our Creator can turn into the thing to do because we've always done it instead of the desire of our hearts. Crowder explains how he broke out of that box and how he realized that praise is something we are, not simply what we do.

David Crowder is hilarious from the first page to
Nathan
Jan 21, 2015 rated it liked it
This is one of those books that gave me split personality disorder. I loved big parts of it, Crowder is an artist when it comes to words. He has a way about writing something you've heard 1000x and still making you pause and notice it in a new way. This is also what frustrated me though. This book goes through 15-20 different psalms and then gives a quick devo-esque thought after each one. Many were spot on, inspired me to re-read them with a different mind set but then there were others where h ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Shameless: A Sexual Reformation
  • Sex God: Exploring the Endless Connections Between Sexuality and Spirituality
  • Jesus Wants to Save Christians: A Manifesto for the Church in Exile
  • Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire: What Happens When God's Spirit Invades the Heart of His People
  • Searching for God Knows What
  • Emma
  • Evolving in Monkey Town: How a Girl Who Knew All the Answers Learned to Ask the Questions
  • Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God
  • Help Thanks Wow: The Three Essential Prayers
  • Through Painted Deserts: Light, God, and Beauty on the Open Road
  • Dear Church: A Love Letter from a Black Preacher to the Whitest Denomination in the US
  • Jesus Feminist: An Invitation to Revisit the Bible's View of Women
  • Holy Envy: Finding God in the Faith of Others
  • A Right to Be Merry
  • Become a Better You: 7 Keys to Improving Your Life Every Day
  • Banished: Surviving My Years in the Westboro Baptist Church
  • The Lion of Judah in Never-Never land: The Theology of C. S. Lewis Expressed in his Fantasies for Children
  • Running with Sherman

News & Interviews

“Things are often more meaningful when they come out of natural need. You don't think about the beating of your heart until things go amiss. And there aren't many things much sweeter than breath after the lack of it.” 1 likes