Start by marking “Lost at Sea” as Want to Read:
Lost at Sea

Lost at Sea

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  10,793 Ratings  ·  1,017 Reviews
Raleigh doesn't have a soul. A cat stole it – at least that's what she tells people – at least that's what she would tell people if she told people anything. But that would mean talking to people, and the mere thought of social interaction is terrifying. How did such a shy teenage girl end up in a car with three of her hooligan classmates on a cross-country road trip? Bein ...more
Published July 24th 2012 by Oni Press (first published December 22nd 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Lost at Sea, please sign up.
Taylor Daigneault Works Cited*

A good source for MLA citation can be found here: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/re...

I won't cite it for you (because italics) but…more
Works Cited*

I won't cite it for you (because italics) but you'd cite this using the basic format for a book with one author(less)

Ariel
Jul 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
So. Many. Adorable. Cats.

This is the story of an 18 year old whose confused. Which should be very relatable, since EVERY 18 year old is very confused. She funnels that confusion into a mad search for her soul that she believes is in a cat. .. It's good times.

I really like Bryan Lee O'Malley's illustrations - they're adorable! - and had fun with the story. My only complaint is that I felt that it ended quite abruptly. I would have liked it to be longer. But oh well! I shall compensate by picking
Raeleen Lemay
Nov 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphicomanga, own
This was great! Such a strange, marvellous little book. I wish it were longer though, which is really the only reason I docked a star. It was over way too fast!

This was different from O'Malley's other books in the way that it felt a lot more poetic and like... Spiritual, almost? The writing was beautiful, and the artwork was perfect as always.
Seth T.
Aug 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
It's been awhile. Ten years, give or take. I first read Lost at Sea in 2002, or thereabouts. I was, what, twenty-eight? Twenty-nine? Maybe I was in its target demographic or maybe I was just at that right crossroads of life experiences, dashed hopes, fear of future, and qualified loneliness that Bryan Lee O'Malley's little book hit me just right. After all, it was one of my favourite comics at the time. I... I really liked it.

Lost at Sea by Bryan Lee O'Malley

Of course, a decade has intervened and O'Malley's world has exploded i
Carlos De Eguiluz
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Bryan lo hizo de nuevo... y es que su escritura es brillante, y la forma en que las palabras resultan innecesarias ante sus ilustraciones, es genial. Lo amo.

Así que hablamos de Raleigh, una chica en medio de la angustia adolescente que afirma haber perdido su alma, que un gato se la llevó consigo. En medio de un viaje de autodescubrimiento, ella entenderá como todos estamos dañados, aunque sea un poco.

"I guess I never have any answers. Just the same pointless question, over and over, every day
Malbadeen
If I were more honest with myself I'd probably give this 2 stars not 3 but lets face it I lie to myself all the time so why not now?

The thing is teenagers make me uncomfortable. Even when I was a teenager I was anxious to be done with it (dating people older and trying desperately to not be "trendy" - all very teen-age in and of itself, I know). when I over hear teenagers at restaurants I wince and cringe at how they spout out their opinions like they are the first to take note of things. I feel
Carmen
Aug 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone. Seriously.
I guess I never have any answers. Just the same pointless question, over and over, every day = why am I so fucked up why am I so fucked up why am I so fucked up why am I so fucked up.

I see dead people cats.

Raleigh is fucked up.

She's pretty sure she has no soul.

And lately she's been having this dream. It involves the word "NO." A vague uneasiness. And cats. Zillions of cats.

Now she sees cats. She sees cats everywhere. They approach her when she walks outside. They perch on her chest in her bed
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
The art in this was really cool, but the plot wasn’t really my thing. Meh.
christa
Sep 01, 2010 rated it it was ok
I've seemingly forgotten the hair tugging, weeping, Trapper Keeper graffiti, poetry-fueled insomnia associated with the late teen years. Because the last two things I've read have starred shoe-gazing teens, and I'm completely unable to muster any empathy for them. In fact, I've rolled my eyes so hard that I swear I've caught a glimpse of my own gray brain matter eroding.

"Lost at Sea," a graphic novel by Bryan Lee O'Malley -- who I love! Scott Pilgrim! Wee! -- is emo bullshit.

Raleigh is a beautif
Kate (GirlReading)
Apr 12, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5* Lost at Sea was an interesting and unique reading experience. The writing style did take some getting used to and was definitely a little confusing at times but I oddly kind of liked that about it! I began to really enjoy that it was essentially a stream of consciousness and thoughts, as that's not something I think I've read before. It meant that there were parts that were definitely very relatable, whilst also some that made little sense to me. Personally, I would have liked a little more ...more
emily
Sep 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
3.5?? man I suck at ratings

I really liked this!! More than I thought I would.

The art was really nice. I appreciated the black and white scheme (I generally like black and white things more than color, though), the laying of different images was done a few times and done very nicely.

The story...I felt like it could have had more context but also at the same time I feel like it didn't need it. I would like more backstory on Raleigh and Stillman but the story didn't need it (if that makes sense
Ryan
Jun 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Sooraya Evans
Aug 24, 2017 rated it did not like it
Mediocre art. Boring story.
It's basically 4 angry teenagers going on a roadtrip with frequent stops at diners and hotels.
Throw in cuss-filled conversations along the way, and that's about it.
Just to add some weirdness, one of the girls thinks her soul is in a cat somewhere.
Viola ☾
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was so beautiful and cute and quite emotional that it made me cry. Definitely going to reread it a thousand times!
Feb 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
I've read a bunch of books about teenagers trying to figure out who they are (e.g., Losers, Perks of being a Wallflower, Hairstyles of the Damned, most Brian James' books, etc...). It's TOUGH to write a teenage main character that is both realistic and not annoying. Some people can do it... Bryan Lee O'Malley being one of them.

I kinda wanted to not like Raleigh. Her hipster name, moping over a guy, melodramatic about self-narrating... But she's not stuck in some annoying poor-me, self-absorbed,
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
"I am leaning back and running with it and staring at the stars and I'm eleven, I'm sixteen, I'm eighteen, I'm a newborn, I'm everyone everywhere with you and without you unbound set free in limbo lost at sea."

This was a really poetic short book and I loved the illustrations. Great for anyone who is currently confused about life in general or where they're going.

Also CATS. So many cats.

*3.5
Arielle Walker
This book is pretty nail-on-head when it comes to catching a version of being 18.

Too much so - because I'm no longer 18 (thank god) and therefore things in this story that would have made perfect sense six-odd years ago instead have me coming over all parental/sisterly and thinking "why on Earth did you not just open that damn letter you ridiculous creature??!"

Not to mention the whole heartbreaking familiarity of it all. Been there, done that, dear god please no more.
Mayra Sigwalt
Jul 31, 2015 rated it liked it
Eu gostei da história, mas acho q a personagem tinha tantas questões e tantos problemas e angústias, que pra uma história em quadrinhos tão curtinha, fica difícil de resolver tudo. Todas as questões levantadas ficaram meio no ar. Parece q foi escrito sem pensar numa estrutura, então uma hora ela precisou acabar e acabou do jeito de dava.
Ivan
Jul 19, 2016 rated it really liked it

This is lot different from other O'Malley's works I read.This graphic novel is done mostly through monologue which along with good black and white illustrations create wonderful melancholic atmosphere which oozes from every page somewhat reminiscent of that in Long walk to Valhalla.

Seconds remain my favorite O'Malley's work but Lost at sea isn't far behind.
Lauren
May 12, 2016 rated it liked it
So this is the first graphic novel I have read by Bryan Lee O'Malley and I have to say I have mixed feelings about Lost at Sea.

Firstly, the illustrations, although they were neat and pretty cute, Raleigh and Stephanie didn't look that different to me, feature-wise, (except one had short hair and the other didn't) which now and again, was a bit confusing.

Secondly, I dunno, I feel like the story was pushed too hard. Instead of empathising with Raleigh, I just wish she'd get a bloody move on and f
Chibineko
Oct 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
If you've read Scott Pilgrim, I recommend that you leave all of your preconceived notions about O'Malley at the door before you read this book. Other than the artwork, this book is nothing like that series. If you're expecting some cutesy book, you're in the wrong place.

Lost at Sea follows the character of Raleigh, an overly timid young teen who is completely at a loss as to who she is. She claims to have no soul, a result of certain actions occurring in her youth. Raleigh finds herself on a car
Celine
Oct 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Lost at Sea is the debut graphic novel of Brian Lee O'Malley - you might know him from his Scott Pilgrim books. Lost at Sea is more whimsical and lyrical in its writing. Text floats throughout the panels, sometimes a page only has one image, and most of the text is internal monologue. I loved the idea of this book, and it's incredibly quotable with amazing haunting images. The four-colour scheme adds to the ethereal quality of the book. My only gripe is that the ending was too abrupt. It was alm ...more
Murat G.
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
I am really bored of reading such books..

"Mediocre fuckup" character who dont have a story to tell, invents mediocre problems to herself just to talk about silly nothings..

Live a story or imagine a story. Dont tell us the story of not having a story.. Because its boring.

Good art. "Mediocre" delirium / not story..
Larnacouer  de SH
Yalnız bu tam da yakın arkadaşım Kuyinbii'nin yapabileceği bi' şey. Günün birinde benim ruhum yok, kedi çaldı, kedinin içinde dese aynı soğukkanlılıkla gidip bulalım madem, dönüşte de kahve içeriz falan derim.

Gecemi mundar ettim bu kitapla ya. Fonda 0952, 1440 çalıyordu üstelik. Second'ı çok sevmiştim, neden böyle oldu şimdi? 💔
Sam Quixote
Jul 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Four college age kids are driving back home for the holidays. Three of them are good friends while the fourth, the girl and main character of the story Raleigh, is a casual acquaintance. It becomes clear from her silence that Raleigh is a troubled girl and as the journey goes on they begin to discover that Raleigh's silence is due to a broken heart from a recently ended relationship.

This is the first book I've read of Bryan Lee O'Malley and I'll say it's not bad. While the drawings are alright
Lisa (ohthenargles)
Love the artwork (just like all of O'Malley's work). It's a very different story than what I've read by O'Malley so far, but in a way it's also very similar. (It's a weird feeling).

This book was just the right amount of mysterious.
Leslie
May 21, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5

This graphic novel was really weird and could be a bit confusing at times but it was fast and easy to read and some of the characters were pretty funny
So yeah I guess I enjoyed it!
Elizabeth A
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015, graphix, kids-ya
I believe I read someplace that this is the author's first foray into graphic novels, and it shows. His more recent stuff is better.

Teenage angst on a road trip. The thing is that for many people being a teenager is a very angst ridden time of their lives, but this story does not do a good job of exploring what is going on with our protagonist. There are some interesting threads, but nothing really comes of any of them. It felt murky and unfinished, and I'm not a fan of the manga style illustra
Pip
Feb 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
SUPER interesting graphic novel. Unlike anything I've ever read - definitely unexpected and a little weird, but I loved how open and honest this was and how you can probably take whatever you want from it. Perhaps more of a 3.5 out of 5!
Rowan Bradley
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
I wish i had read this when i was 18 so i could get the full effect but if we’re being honest I’m still an angsty teen at 21 and probably will be forever.
BYU-Adolescent Li...: Lost at Sea by Bryan Lee O'Malley 1 7 May 16, 2013 08:44PM
  • The War at Ellsmere
  • Janes in Love (Janes, #2)
  • Chiggers
  • Solanin
  • Blue Monday Volume 4: Painted Moon
  • Six-Gun Gorilla
  • Suburban Glamour
  • Phonogram, Vol. 2: The Singles Club (Phonogram, #2)
  • Courtney Crumrin and the Coven of Mystics (Courtney Crumrin, #2)
  • The Case of the Team Spirit (Bad Machinery, #1)
  • Koko Be Good
  • Same Difference
  • Baby's in Black: Astrid Kirchherr, Stuart Sutcliffe, and The Beatles
Bryan Lee O'Malley is a Canadian cartoonist. His first original graphic novel was Lost at Sea (2003), and he is best-known for the six-volume Scott Pilgrim series (2004 to 2010). All of his Scott Pilgrim graphic novels were published by Portland, Oregon-based Oni Press. In July 2014 his graphic novel Seconds was released by Ballantine Books. He is also a songwriter and musician (as Kupek and forme ...more
More about Bryan Lee O'Malley
“Every time you look up at the stars, it’s like opening a door. You could be anyone, anywhere. You could be yourself at any moment in your life. You open that door and you realize you’re the same person under the same stars. Camping out in the backyard with your best friend, eleven years old. Sixteen, driving alone, stopping at the edge of the city, looking up at the same stars. Walking a wooded path, kissing in the moonlight, look up and you’re eleven again. Chasing cats in a tiny town, you’re eleven again, you’re sixteen again. You’re in a rowboat. You’re staring out the back of a car. Out here where the world begins and ends, it’s like nothing ever stops happening.” 112 likes
“Fuck you fucks and the fucks you fucked in on!” 31 likes