Start by marking “Empire: A Visual Novel” as Want to Read:
Empire: A Visual Novel

Empire: A Visual Novel

An early graphic novel written by Delany and illustrated by Chaykin.
Published January 1st 1978 by Putnam Publishing Group

Steve
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
My grandfather knew I loved comic books and was getting into weightier things and picked this up for me when I was about eight. Every time I went over to his house for the next five years, I spent at least a little while immersed in its beauty. Eventually, the book was lost somehow, some way, and I picked up another copy several years later.

It's not a perfect book. It's a transition between a novel and a comic book, with a story that jumps like a movie in some ways. The fashions demonstrated by
Mike
Jan 19, 2010 rated it liked it
I applaud Delany and Chaykin's attempt to tell a more sophisticated science-fiction story in a graphic novel format in 1978, a time when comics where largely considered a juvenile medium. However, I can't help but think this particular story would have been better if it was told in a prose format, rather than the attenuated treatment it gets here. Alternately, this story could have been told in several volumes, to give it adequate time to develop.

Some aspects of the story borrow heavily from cla
StrictlySequential
*All 3 paperback editions listed are the same thing*

The similarities with Star Wars are PROFOUND and, because they written at the same time, there's no telling who stole what from the other.

It's SHOCKING how similar the two are- they tell the same story with the same characters, settings and technology except instead of "A Long Time Ago... "Empire" takes place in the 63rd century. Of course they don't have the same faces and everything else has a different look but there is even a female "rebel"
Dan
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a fun read.

I think the basic story would probably have been stronger if Delany had written it as a regular novel.

It's kind of funny how defensive the cover copy is about this being a serious "novel." (Comics and graphic novels can be great, serious, and legit, but their value doesn't come from the similarity to traditional prose novels, it comes specifically from them doing something different.)

There's an interesting point in Delany's intro about how our language is rooted in planetary
Aaron
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Glorious, technicolor nonsense. I love Delany without reserve, so I'm fully on board for this, his most manic stab at planet-hopping space opera—even as the prose skids toward the ludicrous zone. Dig this piece of pivotal exposition:

"Restore the Meta-Max, place it in the Central Information Flow that runs, like a living organism's obstetric seam, through Ice's giant structure, and it will be carried to the structural fulcrum: furnace and phallus, heart and womb. The whole will totalize, toppling
Charles
Aug 30, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
This is a very early graphic novel, and while interesting, I found it flawed. It was difficult to follow at times, and in several cases during the reading I kept turning back and forth between pages to see if I had missed a page where the action just jumped from one place to another with no transitions. Since the book has no page numbers, it may be possible that my copy is missing some pages. But some of the troubled transitions occurred on a single page so that isn't the whole problem. There we ...more
Erik Wirfs-Brock
Apr 05, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
A curiosity from the seventies, two great talents colliding for something less than great but still intesting. Basically a bunch of action scenes strung together with a bit of Delaney philosophical sf, hampered by the fact that most like most painted comics there is not a lot of sequential flow, and that for soeme reason they wanted to not use speech bubbles. Still worth reading though as sort of a proto adult comic book.
Cary Lee Baker
Jun 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Bought this book because of Howard Chaykin and just to see the man's fantastic artwork. Have not read any Delaney (I have Dhalgren on the bookshelf) books but this was a good story.
Jonathan Mills
Apr 05, 2019
Neal
Nov 05, 2011
Tim
rated it did not like it
Jul 21, 2013
James
Dec 27, 2018
Paul
Jan 08, 2008
Samuel Ray Delany, also known as "Chip," is an award-winning American science fiction author. He was born to a prominent black family on April 1, 1942, and raised in Harlem. His mother, Margaret Carey Boyd Delany, was a library clerk in the New York Public Library system. His father, Samuel Ray Delany, Senior, ran a successful Harlem undertaking establishment, Levy & Delany Funeral Home, on 7t ...more