Start by marking “Strengths Finder 2.0” as Want to Read:
Strengths Finder 2.0

Strengths Finder 2.0

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  41,123 ratings  ·  1,934 reviews
Do You Do What You Do Best Every Day?

Chances are, you don't. From the cradle to the cubicle, we devote more time to fixing our shortcomings than to developing our strengths.

To help people uncover their talents, Gallup introduced StrengthsFinder in the 2001 management book Now, Discover Your Strengths. The book ignited a global conversation, while StrengthsFinder helped mil
Published February 1st 2007 by Gallup Press (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Strengths Finder 2.0, please sign up.
Henry Solomon ISBN number of Strengths Finer 2.0 by Tom Rath (Gallup) is 978-1-59562-015-6.

·  41,123 ratings  ·  1,934 reviews

Jean Tessier
Oct 02, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: leisure
Starts with a cool idea: instead of spending time trying to get better at things you have no talent for, why not work at being great at things you have a natural affinity for? Each of us has things they tend to be good at (talents), and things they tend to not be good at (let's call them handicaps). Why should we spend time and energy overcoming our handicaps, at the expense of our talents? At most, we'll be average at them for a lot of effort. Instead, we should spend our efforts in line with o ...more
L.
Mar 16, 2012 rated it did not like it
While I spent comparatively little for this copy, I'm angry now that I spent anything on it at all. I feel as if I've been suckered into a scam.

I bought this book hoping it would be useful in helping my teenagers determine their personal strengths, so they might use that knowledge when making decisions about both their future education and careers. What a waste of time and money. I made the mistake of judging by the total overall Amazon rating, rather than looking at individual reviews. Had I do
Emma
Aug 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone, seriously
Total awesomeness!

This book and the included test (be sure to buy a new copy) inspired me for months. Finding out my top 5 strengths made who I am make so much more sense. I love their approach of focusing on what you are "designed" to do, rather than trying to shore up your weaknesses. They have specific suggestions for each strength which includes which kinds of folks you should pair up with and how others will react to your strength. For instance my top one is "Ideation" - a love for and faci
Scott Dinsmore
Jul 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Why I Read this Book: Knowing and living one’s natural talents and strengths is on of the keys to lasting fulfillment. This book is the answer to discovering those strengths.

Topics Covered:

* Understanding your unique strengths
* Working effectively with others
* Achieving lasting fulfillment
* Time management

Review:

This one’s short and sweet. To get 90% of the value out of this will take you about two hours. I see it more as a tool than a book, a tool to foster success, fulfillment and enjoymen
Melissa
So, the managers at my store are reading this.

And I was like, haha!, I will read this too and see what you are up to.

Yeah, this isn't that kind of book.

I've taken Myers-Briggs Personality-type tests before (I'm an ISTJ) so the evaluation tool you take at the Gallup site is pretty similar. And worth the purchase of the book because that gives you the code to take the test to find your top five strengths (check in the back of the book to make sure no one's stolen the code before you buy it). The
Alison Law
Jul 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
I agree with the premise of this book 100%. Rath hypothesizes that instead of spending most of our time trying to improve our areas of weakness (as most of us in the U.S. public school systems learn to do), we should instead focus our energies on cultivating our areas of strength. The formula that the author uses is Talent x Investment = Strength. This is the gist of the first 28 pages.

Here comes the rub. At Page 29 you read "Parting Thoughts." This is basically where the book ends and you're po
Tameca
I read this book to show my former boss that I was willing to work with her in her efforts to find out how all of her "beans'" strengths could mesh (which could only happen after everyone knew what strengths they had to contribute and when each bean had shared his/her strengths with the rest of the team). By the way, I worked at Starbucks.

I like the organization of the book, the detailed information about strengths, and even the online test you take to find out what strengths you have. I believe
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Mar 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Don't get this book from the library if you haven't taken the StrengthsFinder test, because each book only comes with one code. I had taken the test already and been provided with the supplementary material, so this doesn't have a lot to add except for advice on how to work with people with the strengths you don't have. I read the suggestions for my boss's strength, and I was like, "Preach!"

Other than that, I found StrengthsFinder to be far more useful and practical than older tests like the Mye
Andrea
Dec 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. I pick it up often and re-discover things about myself and my peers. Essential for anyone working on interpersonal relationships, or just trying to do their jobs better.
Sara
Nov 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book was required reading for a Strengths Finder class I took at work. I was actually surprised after doing the survey how much was revealed about my strengths. My top 5 strengths are: Input (I collect - knowledge and stuff), Intellection (I think about stuff), Learner (I learn from all this stuff I've collected and thought about), Analytical (well, duh, that was a no brainer Ms. Number Balancer/Data Reconciler) and Consistency (wanting everything to be FAIR).

In the class, we of course comp
Amy
Generally helpful and intriguing but the book on its own didn't entirely sell me. The more personalized test came a little closer.
Slightly skeptical that my number one strength came up as strategy.
Also, strengths aren't supposed to shift but I took the test twice and within a year four of my top five strengths changed. Granted, I went through a lot this past year. But still, doesn't that seem rather dramatic considering this test purports to measure your generally unchanging personality?
BUT cri
Nura Yusof
Jul 25, 2011 rated it did not like it
Took the test and discovered the 5 strengths that I should be leveraging on. But I found the questions asked and the results a bit questionable.

The developers of the test assumes that those taking the test have complete and truthful knowledge of themselves. Several times during the test, I did wonder whether my responses were really accurate. Were they really a true reflection of me?

Another quibble is the online offerings. Yeah, I signed up to take the test. But the results and action plan avai
Felina
Jul 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Alright I had:

Maximizer - "Excellence, not average, is your measure. Taking something from below average to slightly above average takes a great deal of effort and in your opinion is not very rewarding. Transforming something strong into something superb takes just as much effort but is much more thrilling.' That is way me. I've always said that trying to be well rounded is a waste of time but being amazing at something should be the goal. I know what my flaws are and I simply don't care.

Relator
Farnoosh Brock
Apr 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: business-spirit
More like a reference & you must take the test for it to be useful!

After reading the first book in this topic, "Now, Discover Your Strengths", I was rejuvenated. I learned the 5 areas of my greatest potential strengths. I felt them to be quite accurate. Tom Rath wrote the sequel, "StrengthFinder 2.0" soon after the publication of Buckingham and Clifton's book and I wanted to read this book for two reasons:

First I wanted a free pass to Strengthfinder 2.0 assessment to check my results against
Finn
Jun 27, 2011 rated it did not like it
Like so many of the books in its genre, StrengthsFinder wastes a ridiculous number of (small, double-spaced, large-print) pages restating its fundamental principle in a variety of different ways. This tedium is compounded by the author's irritatingly self-satisfied tone.

The real meat of the book is actually online, where the assessment instrument itself resides. The instrument's engaging enough, but it's got one glaring flaw: it gave me a result that doesn't fit me well, and it offers no recour
Allison Clark
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I, personally, loved this book. I have a tendency to focus on my weaknesses and ignore my strengths. I appreciate that this book showed me where I am strong and how I can utilize those to my benefit! I also liked how it offered my complementary workmates. I work in team environment and we read this together. I am excited to learn their strengths and for us to grow as a team!
Jessica Thomson
Oct 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
Read this for a work committee. You get to take a test which identifies your top five themes. You are then provided an action plan to use these themes to capitalize on your strengths in the workplace. I'm a Scorpio.
Joaquin Garza
Jun 28, 2016 rated it did not like it
Una batería psicométrica disfrazada de libro con un precio de lista de treinta dólares. Menos mal que fue tarea leerlo. Una estafa
Ainsley
Dec 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
I believe this book's philosophy makes for a happier and more productive life--that it's more rewarding to spend time honing my strengths than trying to improve my weaknesses. This book and its philosophy help me not to feel like a square peg in a round hole, that I "should" be more like this or that. Instead, I came away from this book and the related test feeling like I was pretty well "pegged" and that I had a toolbox of strengths which I can build upon and explore more, both professionally a ...more
Pat
Mar 16, 2012 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no-one
Recommended to Pat by: amazon
Whilst the ideas in the book may be great - brilliant even, I think the whole book is a scam!
It had come up as a recommendation on Amazon and the initial blurb interested me as I do believe we tend to live up to whatever label we are given. So I read some of the inside pages - and added the book to my order. No where was I given the impression that for the book to of any use at all I would have to register with a website to take a test.

the book arrived and I started reading First a short chapt
Erin
Sep 15, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010, non-fiction
Biggest complaint: You have to buy a copy of the book to take the quiz (so, if I want someone else to take it, i have to convince them to buy the book too... instead of just loaning them my copy. Seems a bit like a ploy to me...).

Second biggest complaint: They only tell you your top 5 strengths.

I get that the whole premise is to focus on your strengths, which means being blissfully unaware of where you scored low. But heck, I paid for the thing... give me my results! All of them!

That said, I fo
Van
Oct 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lựa chọn quyển sách này để đọc vào ngày đầu năm mới với hy vọng sẽ tự hiểu rõ bản thân mình hơn - biết mình mạnh ở điểm nào, yếu ở đâu, mọi người quanh mình thì sao, lựa chọn công việc thế nào sẽ phù hợp với sở trường của bản thân (trong các bản CV, lúc nào cũng có kiểu tự nhận xét điểm mạnh/điểm yếu của bản thân, và nó khiến tôi tự băn khoăn với câu trả lời).

Quan điểm cơ sở của cuốn sách này là mỗi người sinh ra đã có những tài năng tiềm ẩn riêng biệt, nếu biết phát huy sẽ trở thành thế mạnh và
Viet Hung Nguyen
Recommend for everyone, who really wants to know what you are. This is a great tool for self-assessment. Furthermore, it also recommends what you do to fully bring the best out of your potential. FYI. Facebook is applying this one. See below:

Facebook hires smart people independent of available job openings. After hiring someone it likes, engineer or business operative, Facebook will ID this person's talents with something called the Clifton StrengthsFinder, and then create a job using that infor
Conrad Zero
This small book is a very quick read, but it comes with a sealed code which allows access to testing on the website strengthsfinder.com. The majority of this book is descriptions of the strengths themselves, and not very useful without taking the test yourself. Strangely, the test only reveals the your top five strengths. Seems to me that knowing your bottom five weaknesses would be at least as useful.

The test itself had too many ambiguous questions for me to take the results seriously, but the
Nick
Aug 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: leadership, own
Helpful. This is not so much a book as an assistant to the on-line tool. I'm still thinking about whether or not I got an accurate reading on my top five because this, like most personality tests, is highly subjective and there is always room for self-fulfilling prophecy or misunderstood questions. Still, it is very simple and easy to use.
Sanford Chee
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Sanford by: Richard Shell
My top 5 themes & ideas for action:

1. Significance
1.1 Choose jobs/positions in which you can determine your own tasks & actions. You'll enjoy the exposure that comes with independence (e.g. investment management)
1.2 Your reputation is important to you, so decide what it should be (your "personal branding") and tend to it in the smallest detail e.g. earn a designation that will add to your credibility (e.g. CFA, Wharton MBA), write an article that will give you visibility, or volunteer to
Aisha
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picked this one from hundreds of career/personal development books advised by my supervisor in the period when I was forced to take some really serious decisions and find out what I should do further. The book was safely forgotten for couple of months thanks to never-ending deadlines, so I started (and finished) it just today. First reaction: FINALLY SMN SAID IT HONESTLY! NO, you cannot do anything you want! The idea of finding your strength(s) and work on them is not new, but here we have simpl ...more
Michelle
Jul 17, 2018 rated it did not like it
The whole point of this book is to provide a unique access code to take the online assessment. The first 31 pages are an advertisement for the assessment. The rest of the book contains a brief overview of each of the 34 "themes", which could have just been accessed on their website. This makes no sense as a book at all.

Additionally, the basis of the strengths concept comes from polls and interviews. It is not grounded in actual Psychological research (though they throw around Psychology words li
Aimee
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this for an HR Management class. I don't know that I learned anything brand new but it did clarify some thoughts for me. I'd love to get my whole team to take the survey and share in a team building exercise (my Input strength, I suspect, drives this desire). I love that it emphasizes building natural strengths and talents instead of the familiar corporate America "stretch" and "areas for improvement" we've all been subjected to over the years. It's a quick read that gave me a lot to thin ...more
May Ling
I usually get rid of my books, but liked this so much that I kept it so I could think about what I wanted to do with it. It's interesting, because I don't fundamentally agree with the premise that we should lean into our strengths and ignore our weaknesses. I also don't believe that many of these can't be obtained through hard work and effort. I do agree that systems and collaborators should be found until such a time as you can overcome such a weakness and that having an awareness of this is ke ...more
  • Bankable Business Plans
  • Go Put Your Strengths to Work: 6 Powerful Steps to Achieve Outstanding Performance
  • StrengthsQuest: Discover and Develop Your Strengths in Academics, Career, and Beyond
  • The Path of Least Resistance for Managers
  • Re-Create Your Life
  • Making Sense of Behavior: The Meaning of Control
  • The Simplicity Survival Handbook: 32 Ways To Do Less And Accomplish More
  • Bit Literacy: Productivity in the Age of Information and E-mail Overload
  • Value-Based Fees: How to Charge - and Get - What You're Worth (The Ultimate Consultant Series)
  • Lean Thinking: Banish Waste and Create Wealth in Your Corporation
  • Go It Alone!: The Secret to Building a Successful Business on Your Own
  • The New Business Road Test: What Entrepreneurs and Executives Should Do Before Writing a Business Plan
  • 10 Days to Faster Reading
  • Learning from the Future: Competitive Foresight Scenarios
  • Turning Numbers into Knowledge: Mastering the Art of Problem Solving
  • The Unwritten Laws of Business
  • Marketing Metrics: 50+ Metrics Every Executive Should Master
ARE YOU FULLY CHARGED?, the latest national bestseller by Tom Rath, was released in mid 2015. Tom's six NYT/WSJ bestsellers have sold more than 6 million copies and made over 300 appearances on the Wall Street Journal Bestseller list. Connect with Tom at:

- www.tomrath.org
- Twitter.com/TomCRath
- Facebook.com/AuthorTomRath
- Google.com/+TomRath
- Linkedin.com/in/trath/
“From the cradle to the cubicle, we devote more time to our shortcomings than to our strengths.” 18 likes
“the key to human development is building on who you already are” 12 likes