Start by marking “Strengths Finder 2.0” as Want to Read:
Strengths Finder 2.0

Strengths Finder 2.0

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  52,088 ratings  ·  2,329 reviews
Do You Do What You Do Best Every Day?

Chances are, you don't. From the cradle to the cubicle, we devote more time to fixing our shortcomings than to developing our strengths.

To help people uncover their talents, Gallup introduced StrengthsFinder in the 2001 management book Now, Discover Your Strengths. The book ignited a global conversation, while StrengthsFinder helped mil
Published February 1st 2007 by Gallup Press (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Strengths Finder 2.0, please sign up.
Henry Solomon ISBN number of Strengths Finer 2.0 by Tom Rath (Gallup) is 978-1-59562-015-6.

·  52,088 ratings  ·  2,329 reviews

Start your review of Strengths Finder 2.0
Jean Tessier
Oct 02, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: leisure
Starts with a cool idea: instead of spending time trying to get better at things you have no talent for, why not work at being great at things you have a natural affinity for? Each of us has things they tend to be good at (talents), and things they tend to not be good at (let's call them handicaps). Why should we spend time and energy overcoming our handicaps, at the expense of our talents? At most, we'll be average at them for a lot of effort. Instead, we should spend our efforts in line with o ...more
L.
Mar 16, 2012 rated it did not like it
While I spent comparatively little for this copy, I'm angry now that I spent anything on it at all. I feel as if I've been suckered into a scam.

I bought this book hoping it would be useful in helping my teenagers determine their personal strengths, so they might use that knowledge when making decisions about both their future education and careers. What a waste of time and money. I made the mistake of judging by the total overall Amazon rating, rather than looking at individual reviews. Had I do
Emma
Aug 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone, seriously
Total awesomeness!

This book and the included test (be sure to buy a new copy) inspired me for months. Finding out my top 5 strengths made who I am make so much more sense. I love their approach of focusing on what you are "designed" to do, rather than trying to shore up your weaknesses. They have specific suggestions for each strength which includes which kinds of folks you should pair up with and how others will react to your strength. For instance my top one is "Ideation" - a love for and faci
Scott Dinsmore
Jul 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Why I Read this Book: Knowing and living one’s natural talents and strengths is on of the keys to lasting fulfillment. This book is the answer to discovering those strengths.

Topics Covered:

* Understanding your unique strengths
* Working effectively with others
* Achieving lasting fulfillment
* Time management

Review:

This one’s short and sweet. To get 90% of the value out of this will take you about two hours. I see it more as a tool than a book, a tool to foster success, fulfillment and enjoymen
Alison Law
Jul 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
I agree with the premise of this book 100%. Rath hypothesizes that instead of spending most of our time trying to improve our areas of weakness (as most of us in the U.S. public school systems learn to do), we should instead focus our energies on cultivating our areas of strength. The formula that the author uses is Talent x Investment = Strength. This is the gist of the first 28 pages.

Here comes the rub. At Page 29 you read "Parting Thoughts." This is basically where the book ends and you're po
Melissa
So, the managers at my store are reading this.

And I was like, haha!, I will read this too and see what you are up to.

Yeah, this isn't that kind of book.

I've taken Myers-Briggs Personality-type tests before (I'm an ISTJ) so the evaluation tool you take at the Gallup site is pretty similar. And worth the purchase of the book because that gives you the code to take the test to find your top five strengths (check in the back of the book to make sure no one's stolen the code before you buy it). The
Angelica
Oct 30, 2011 rated it it was ok
This books was ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT in theory but FAILED follow up on the promise. You get the gist of the book in 10 minutes, you get the you evaluation and, voilá, book over. To some extent this feels like a scam to me.

First you pay for the book containing ONE code for ONE test only (if you're lucky and nobody stole the code). Then you read the book which contains nothing of use if not combined with the test. Then you take the test and if you want the full evaluation (including more than the t
Meca'Ayo Cole
I read this book to show my former boss that I was willing to work with her in her efforts to find out how all of her "beans'" strengths could mesh (which could only happen after everyone knew what strengths they had to contribute and when each bean had shared his/her strengths with the rest of the team). By the way, I worked at Starbucks.

I like the organization of the book, the detailed information about strengths, and even the online test you take to find out what strengths you have. I believe
LTJ
Sep 09, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
StrengthsFinder 2.0 by Tom Rath was a great read to not only find my unique strengths as a worker but also know the path towards developing each one specifically. I was asked to read this book for my job (Editorial Director at FanSided) as a team-building exercise and I remember taking the original StrengthsFinder 1.0 many years ago when I used to work in retail electronics (Operations Supervisor at Best Buy).

What I enjoyed the most about StrengthsFinder 2.0 was how regardless of both of these d
Finn
Jun 27, 2011 rated it did not like it
Like so many of the books in its genre, StrengthsFinder wastes a ridiculous number of (small, double-spaced, large-print) pages restating its fundamental principle in a variety of different ways. This tedium is compounded by the author's irritatingly self-satisfied tone.

The real meat of the book is actually online, where the assessment instrument itself resides. The instrument's engaging enough, but it's got one glaring flaw: it gave me a result that doesn't fit me well, and it offers no recour
Ashraf Bashir
Jun 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: self-improvement
The whole message of the book is: "You are not good in X, awesome, then don't try to improve! Accept it, and focus on what you are good in!" ... wtf?! What kind of book is this?!!

This is a recipe for failure! When I count my huge list of improvement points, over the last five years, and then see my progress in each, I become really amazed! Running back to comfort zone won't solve the problem, in fact, it will make one's life worse!

Instead, confront your weakness, work on improving your weak area
Amy
Generally helpful and intriguing but the book on its own didn't entirely sell me. The more personalized test came a little closer.
Slightly skeptical that my number one strength came up as strategy.
Also, strengths aren't supposed to shift but I took the test twice and within a year four of my top five strengths changed. Granted, I went through a lot this past year. But still, doesn't that seem rather dramatic considering this test purports to measure your generally unchanging personality?
BUT cri
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Mar 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Don't get this book from the library if you haven't taken the StrengthsFinder test, because each book only comes with one code. I had taken the test already and been provided with the supplementary material, so this doesn't have a lot to add except for advice on how to work with people with the strengths you don't have. I read the suggestions for my boss's strength, and I was like, "Preach!"

Other than that, I found StrengthsFinder to be far more useful and practical than older tests like the Mye
Jessica
Oct 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
Read this for a work committee. You get to take a test which identifies your top five themes. You are then provided an action plan to use these themes to capitalize on your strengths in the workplace. I'm a Scorpio. ...more
Andrea
Dec 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. I pick it up often and re-discover things about myself and my peers. Essential for anyone working on interpersonal relationships, or just trying to do their jobs better.
Kerri
Jun 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
I started off skeptical of this book, but willing to give it a chance, especially as it was recommended to me by a friend. It starts off pretty good - why do we put so much effort in things we are not good at while letting our natural strengths go to waste? Not that I think it is healthy to ignore our weaknesses completely as this theory seems to imply, but we do live in a society and world where weaknesses are Way over-analyzed and flaws are the main focus. So sweet, something new - learn how t ...more
Pat
Mar 16, 2012 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no-one
Recommended to Pat by: amazon
Whilst the ideas in the book may be great - brilliant even, I think the whole book is a scam!
It had come up as a recommendation on Amazon and the initial blurb interested me as I do believe we tend to live up to whatever label we are given. So I read some of the inside pages - and added the book to my order. No where was I given the impression that for the book to of any use at all I would have to register with a website to take a test.

the book arrived and I started reading First a short chapt
Nura Yusof
Jul 25, 2011 rated it did not like it
Took the test and discovered the 5 strengths that I should be leveraging on. But I found the questions asked and the results a bit questionable.

The developers of the test assumes that those taking the test have complete and truthful knowledge of themselves. Several times during the test, I did wonder whether my responses were really accurate. Were they really a true reflection of me?

Another quibble is the online offerings. Yeah, I signed up to take the test. But the results and action plan avai
Sara
Nov 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book was required reading for a Strengths Finder class I took at work. I was actually surprised after doing the survey how much was revealed about my strengths. My top 5 strengths are: Input (I collect - knowledge and stuff), Intellection (I think about stuff), Learner (I learn from all this stuff I've collected and thought about), Analytical (well, duh, that was a no brainer Ms. Number Balancer/Data Reconciler) and Consistency (wanting everything to be FAIR).

In the class, we of course comp
Felina
Jul 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Alright I had:

Maximizer - "Excellence, not average, is your measure. Taking something from below average to slightly above average takes a great deal of effort and in your opinion is not very rewarding. Transforming something strong into something superb takes just as much effort but is much more thrilling.' That is way me. I've always said that trying to be well rounded is a waste of time but being amazing at something should be the goal. I know what my flaws are and I simply don't care.

Relator
Farnoosh Brock
Apr 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: business-spirit
More like a reference & you must take the test for it to be useful!

After reading the first book in this topic, "Now, Discover Your Strengths", I was rejuvenated. I learned the 5 areas of my greatest potential strengths. I felt them to be quite accurate. Tom Rath wrote the sequel, "StrengthFinder 2.0" soon after the publication of Buckingham and Clifton's book and I wanted to read this book for two reasons:

First I wanted a free pass to Strengthfinder 2.0 assessment to check my results against my
Michelle
Jul 17, 2018 rated it did not like it
The whole point of this book is to provide a unique access code to take the online assessment. The first 31 pages are an advertisement for the assessment. The rest of the book contains a brief overview of each of the 34 "themes", which could have just been accessed on their website. This makes no sense as a book at all.

Additionally, the basis of the strengths concept comes from polls and interviews. It is not grounded in actual Psychological research (though they throw around Psychology words li
Viet Hung
Apr 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommend for everyone, who really wants to know what you are. This is a great tool for self-assessment. Furthermore, it also recommends what you do to fully bring the best out of your potential. FYI. Facebook is applying this one. See below:

Facebook hires smart people independent of available job openings. After hiring someone it likes, engineer or business operative, Facebook will ID this person's talents with something called the Clifton StrengthsFinder, and then create a job using that infor
Allison Clark
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I, personally, loved this book. I have a tendency to focus on my weaknesses and ignore my strengths. I appreciate that this book showed me where I am strong and how I can utilize those to my benefit! I also liked how it offered my complementary workmates. I work in team environment and we read this together. I am excited to learn their strengths and for us to grow as a team!
Sanford Chee
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Sanford by: Richard Shell
My top 5 themes & ideas for action:

1. Significance
1.1 Choose jobs/positions in which you can determine your own tasks & actions. You'll enjoy the exposure that comes with independence (e.g. investment management)
1.2 Your reputation is important to you, so decide what it should be (your "personal branding") and tend to it in the smallest detail e.g. earn a designation that will add to your credibility (e.g. CFA, Wharton MBA), write an article that will give you visibility, or volunteer to speak i
Rose
I may write a proper review for this later, but for now, this will be a placeholder. I liked it - I had to take this "Strengths Finder" as a part of my work enhancement/assessment - ended up getting a lot out of it. For the most part, it was spot on for attributes/strengths/interests I have, though with a few caveats. ...more
Patrick Peterson
2021-03-05 - This was previously marked as "read" since my wife read it and we share the Kindle acct, and Kindle then marked it "read" here in Goodreads.

She loved it and recommends it highly, but does not have time to write reviews. I am probably too old to get to it... but maybe someday.
Erin
Sep 15, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010, non-fiction
Biggest complaint: You have to buy a copy of the book to take the quiz (so, if I want someone else to take it, i have to convince them to buy the book too... instead of just loaning them my copy. Seems a bit like a ploy to me...).

Second biggest complaint: They only tell you your top 5 strengths.

I get that the whole premise is to focus on your strengths, which means being blissfully unaware of where you scored low. But heck, I paid for the thing... give me my results! All of them!

That said, I fo
Nick
Aug 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: own, leadership
Helpful. This is not so much a book as an assistant to the on-line tool. I'm still thinking about whether or not I got an accurate reading on my top five because this, like most personality tests, is highly subjective and there is always room for self-fulfilling prophecy or misunderstood questions. Still, it is very simple and easy to use. ...more
Madison Cowley
The book comes with a code so you can take the online strength-finder quiz. The results give you your top five strengths. Then, you can look up the strengths in this book to learn about their themes and ideas for action.

The quiz itself was interesting… I wasn’t a fan, but this is a review for the book. Somehow the quiz gave me the top three strengths I assumed I had. Maybe I just know myself too well, or maybe it really was a good quiz!

Each of my strengths had good descriptions! I felt connect
Play Book Tag: Strengths Finder 2.0, by Tom Rath- 4 Stars 2 7 Dec 30, 2021 01:46PM

• Emotional Intelligence 2.0
  • Now, Discover Your Strengths: The revolutionary Gallup program that shows you how to develop your unique talents and strengths
  • The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership: Follow Them and People Will Follow You
  • Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead
  • Strengthsfinder 2.0 from Gallup and Tom Rath: Discover Your CliftonStrengths
  • Leaders Eat Last
See top shelves…
Tom Rath is an author and researcher who has spent the past two decades studying how work can improve human health and well-being. He has two books slated for publication in 2020, Life's Great Question: Discover How You Best Contribute to the World and It's Not About You: A Brief Guide to a Meaningful Life, published in partnership with Amazon Original Stories.

In total, Tom's 10 books have sold