Start by marking “Your Hair is Magic (Bed Head)” as Want to Read:
Your Hair is Magic (Bed Head)

Your Hair is Magic (Bed Head)

Bed Head is the first of the Your Hair is Magic books, a series focused on the beauty of big, curly, knotty hair. Rooted in realism and representation, these books are all about promoting self-love and building confidence, one curl at a time.

This 5-Star reviewed, 8.5" x 8.5," 32-page rhyming, hardcover book, with thick glossy interior pages, is filled with vibrant art, ful
Published December 2020 by Knotty Girl Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Your Hair is Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Your Hair is Magic

Start your review of Your Hair is Magic (Bed Head)
Meredith Hardin
Dec 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Such a sweet and fun book! The colors and illustrations are captivating and the story is fun while also conveying an important message. I appreciate that more complex words are used so it was a fun read for both my 1.5 year old and my 5 year old. We have been working to add more representation to our children’s library and this is their new favorite. It’s been on repeat since we opened it for Christmas. I can’t wait for more books in the series! Also great paper quality which I love, and makes i ...more
Tamika Payne
Jan 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I love, love, love this book! I grew up with super curly hair and so desperately wanted bone straight hair when I was a child. I wish that I would have had something this powerful when I was young to instill in me that my hair is amazing and absolutely magical. This book does an incredible job at explaining the beauty of curls while sending a message of how unique and worthy of love your hair truly is. All while written in a way that is easily understood by young kids. It's a favorite in our hou ...more
Jordan West
Jan 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book is the perfect read for my daughter (and future children)! As a new mother of a biracial little girl with little to no experience with how to maintain curly hair, I can already tell this series is going to be a life saver. Avery Gray is extremely relatable for my daughter and with not many other books on the market containing characters with curly hair, she will be someone that will be a part of our family in the years to come! Well done!
Danielle
Jan 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I honestly wish I had a book like this when I was a little curly haired girl growing up.

Representation MATTERS & not all curls are created equally.
Encouraging young children to embrace their hair translates to other parts of themselves.

Jessica beautifully showcases the magic of curly hair & how it SHOULD be represented to all of us. We need to see people who look like us because it makes them feel included and beautiful.

I can't wait for her next book!
Veda
Jan 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing

This is a children’s book to inspire a love for the hair you were born with. I gotta tell ya, it also helped me embrace my own curls this year. I hadn’t worn my locks curly since 1994!

This is a great book to inspire conversations with your littles not only about their own physical gifts but those of others as well. Y’all don’t know...but my daughter Hope’s mostly straight blonde hair looks NOTHING like mine. This book encouraged our conversation about that and about others in our community.

RUN!
Beville Nicholas
Jan 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A solid book for both boys and girls alike! I bought this book for my son who has curly hair. The bright colors, fun pictures, and captivating storyline continues with every page turn. It all makes for a fun, interactive reading experience. It also helps that the pages are high quality, which works out great when my son decides to facilitate his own reading experience. This is a nice book to add to any kids library. I highly recommend it.
Barbara Charles
Jan 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book is beautiful written and magical! Much needed it’s great for many to see that they are not alone and it give a tool for parents to share with their kids and give everyone confidence. I love it and I’m so proud of the author and commend her creativity. I plan to share it with many others. Love it ❤️
Courtney
Jan 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Bed Head is the first book in the “Your Hair is Magic” series—a series devoted to promoting self-love and confidence. We need diverse books and I’m so thrilled that Jessica Norwood’s voice and passion is making its way into young readers homes and hearts. Share this book widely and spread the love! And give her a follow on Instagram; she’s a delight!
Christa
Jan 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book was fantastic! A friend's young daughter is having a hard time with her hair being so curly and no one else in her family looking like her that when she read the book, she thought it was written just for her! Representation is so important, as is understanding those who are not our like selves, and this book IS magic! ...more
Steven
Jan 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing
My dear friend wrote this amazingly inclusive book and I couldn’t be more proud! The story is inviting, the illustrations are captivating and it envelops every child in warmth and compassion for all!
Thomas Forman
Jan 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Your Hair is Magic, Bed Head is an amazing book. Not just for its content; inspiring curly hair confidence and self awareness, but also for the high quality of the materials used in its production and its overall presentation. The colors on the cover and pages with in the book are soothing and vibrant. The color sequencing on the pages invite young readers to experience the message of curly hair confidence with beautiful calming colors. The message of loving yourself and your curls is priceless. ...more
Anna Jacobs
Jan 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Such a cute book! My daughter loves it, and I love the way it promotes self love regardless of whether a child's hair is curly or straight. My daughter has straight hair but it's completely wild, and I love that we have a book that addresses her beauty and uniqueness. ...more
Tanisia Charles
Jan 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful little book for all children. The colors are captivating! The story is a perfect slice of life with which all children will relate. I love that it’s a book where some children will see themselves AND can understand and see children who may look different. There’s no downside to this one.
Nikki Forman
Jan 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book is a perfect illustration of how we are all unique! I am so glad Jessica wrote this book to give kids, young people and parents a place to celebrate the beauty in all of us! Though timely, the message is timeless. I hope this book makes it to every bookshelf, library, gift bag and beyond. Thank you, Jessica!
Christine
Jan 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is a delightful children’s book, especially for curly haired kids who need to learn how to love and embrace their natural curls. The rhyme is adorable and makes the book easy to read. My grandchildren enjoy it tremendously. I highly recommend this to help diversify your bookshelf. Would also make a great gift
Janet Shiffer
Jan 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is a delightful book from cover to cover. With joyful rhyme, Vibrant colors, and illustrations, I was taken on a little girl’s journey of discovery and acceptance. Being unique is wonderful! I would recommend this book for any little girl or boy. My granddaughter loved it!
JT Turnbull
Jan 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
We loved this book so much! The illustrations are beautiful, the message is one that needs to be taught (especially to girls) and it’s not too long (which is great for younger kids). Our 4 year old just loves it!
Norma Jhene
Jan 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is such an amazing book for kids, especially African American! It truly embraces how to love and appreciate their curls, and to be able to see that by being unique they are perfect. Its so refresh to see! Great choice for kids!
Janet Parker
Jan 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I wish I had this book in my collection growing up! Not only is it colorful, cute and playfully written but the message is MAGIC! I can’t wait to share it with my little curly haired kids some day to help them embrace their crown.
Kenzie Clarke
Jan 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Such a sweet read for children! The illustrations are so fun & whimsical. The rhythm of the story captivates little readers/listeners while teaching them the basics of curly hair. It effortlessly promotes celebrating our differences!
Heather Harrison
Feb 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Your Hair is Magic is a beautifully written book promoting self love. My girls (even though they are not curly-haired like their mom) still appreciate the messaging of the book. I highly recommend for girls of all ages!
Bianca Ferranti
Jan 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book is awesome! It’s so refreshing to see representation in children’s book where I feel it’s been lacking. My niece who is a curly girl, loves reading book and seeing her hair on the pages. The colors and illustrations are vibrant and the book itself is super easy to read/comprehend and is perfect for all children’s age groups. The author’s mission behind the book is thoughtful and well executed. I’m looking forward to the rest of the series !
Leslie
Jan 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
My 4 year old daughter LOVES this book!!! (And I do too!)
She reaches for it every night.

My favorite thing was that the very first time we read it, she asked to read it back to me. The author made it fun and easy, the colors are amazing. It was so beautiful to see my little girl appreciate the story and want to share it. She even asked if we could give a copy to her school.

A must have for your kids bookshelf!

Meredith
Jan 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing first book in this series. My 9 year old and my 5 year old both love this book and read it together daily. It's a great book on self love regardless of hair texture and type. Will certainly buy the other books as they are released. ...more
Devonne
Jan 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Such a wonderful and fun book to read!!
Ashley Roberson
Jan 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing
What a fun read! Great for everyone—boys, girls, curly and straight!
Sarah Cain
Jan 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
One of my daughter’s favorite books from the first time we read it. I loved seeing her face light up when I asked her to describe what she loved about her hair. Not only that, it is a great way to celebrate the beauty of diversity by learning about different hair textures. I love how the author encourages confidence and self love.
Amber Williams
Jan 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing from unwrapping it to reading it with my daughter at bedtime. It is an easy read and the illustrations are amazing. My daughter said “wait mommy, that girl looks like me”. That made me smile so much and she could relate with the descriptions of the different types of curls. She loved the part at the end where she got to describe her hair. We read it every night.
Brittany Raub
Dec 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A delightful prose for little ones- boys and girls! It’s engaging and just the right length for the targeted reader. Readers will get to meet a character that isn’t white (that’s still very rare in children’s literature these days) and learn about self-acceptance and loving themselves as they are! Each head of hair is special in its own way, embrace it. The text rhymes and is great for developing phonological awareness skills in young readers. Looking forward to more in this series!
Megan
Jan 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I fully am behind this book and the message it teaches. Something as little as loving your hair goes a long way for our self esteem and I feel Mrs. Norwood really took her message to heart when she wrote this book. I wish this book existed when I was growing up. My son loves this book and the amazing colors on each page. This book is a great gift to curly and straight hair children of all ages. I highly recommend it and can’t wait to see what Mrs. Norwood publishes next in her series.

• Logan Loses Her Cool
  • Trey, the Chef
  • Displacement
  • Good Apple: Tales of a Southern Evangelical in New York
  • The Little Butterfly That Could (Butterfly Series)
  • Fatima's Great Outdoors
  • The Rock from the Sky
  • Bindu's Bindis
  • Ten Beautiful Things

News & Interviews

Jordan Morris is a comedy writer and podcaster whose credits include @Midnight, Unikitty! and Earth to Ned.  The sci-fi comedy Bubble is his...