Start by marking “The Lurking Fear and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
The Lurking Fear and Other Stories

The Lurking Fear and Other Stories

Twelve soul-chilling stories by the master of horror will leave you shivering in your boots and afraid to go out in the night. Only H.P. Lovecraft can send your heart racing faster than it's ever gone before. And here are the stories to prove it.

Contents:

1 · The Lurking Fear · nv Home Brew Jan ’23 (+3); Weird Tales Jun ’28
23 · Dagon · ss The Vagrant Nov ’19; Weird Tales
Published May 12th 1987 by Del Rey (first published 1923)

To ask other readers questions about The Lurking Fear and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lurking Fear and Other Stories

Start your review of The Lurking Fear and Other Stories
Anne
I've wanted to read H.P. Lovecraft's stuff for a long time now. Very much a bucket list sort of thing because there are just so many references to his work all over the place.
Anyway, I saw this on the Hoopla bonus borrows audiobook list and grabbed it.
I wanna LOVE Lovecraft!

description

After listening, however, I don't think Lovecraft is for me.
None of these were spooky at all. And it often seemed as though the whole point of the story was for the author to find new ways of describing things. It was more a
Rosemarie
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Shadow over Innsmouth is a truly creepy story.
Peter Ruys
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

“For a while my chief concern during dreams was to avoid looking down at myself, and I recall how grateful I was for the total absence of large mirrors in the strange rooms. I was mightily troubled by the fact that I always saw the great tables - whose height could not be under ten feet - from a level not below that of their surfaces.”
I really enjoyed my first foray into H.P. Lovecraft’s works. It took some getting used to at first. This is definitely dense, verbose, literary cosmic horror / sc
Mark
(Audible released a bunch of free kids audio books during the Covid-19 epidemic while the schools were closed down at audible.stories. This book appeared under the "teens" section. Read by Stefan Rudnicki. 2 hours, 34 minutes.)

This is a collection of his early pre-Cthulhu mythos stories: "Hypnos," "What the Moon Brings," "Imprisoned with the Pharaohs," "Memory," and the "Lurking Fear." To a modern reader, I think Lovecraft is mainly interesting because he is referenced so often in other books,
Michael
Sep 16, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Horror fans, Lovecraftians, Geeks
Recommended to Michael by: AD&D Deities and Demigods
Shelves: pulp-fiction
Every year at this time, I return to HPL. It always gives me pleasure, although at this many re-readings, there isn't the same thrill of newness and discovery, nor does the imagery fire my dreams as much as it once did.

This collection is solid, although not necessarily cohesive. Most of the stories are straight-forward horror, and mostly outside of the mythos cycle, although there is one Dreamworld story ("The White Ship") and the longest story ("The Shadow over Innsmouth") is fairly well part o
Elle
Jul 31, 2017 marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
DNF

here's the thing. This is my first lovecraft, and I don't actually think I have a big problem with his writing! however, I think I might have a problem with this collection.
I've currently read the first four stories, and only enjoyed ONE (on a singular basis, I probably would have rated that particular one 4*). this doesn't seem to me like a collection of his best works, but a collection OF his works, including some of his worst. The title story, the lurking fear, offered some promise when y
Laura Elebesunu
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
my first lovecraft read!!
I took this slow, reading one story every few days to savor his style of writing... I mean, with such precision in his word choice and detail, Lovecraft is the king of description. He has a way of weaving a story that draws you in, makes you feel a sort of unnerving suspense from the first word, and as much as you may guess the direction a story is being taken, he runs with it, going even deeper, making every twist, every revelation that much creepier 😍
Allen Houston
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Shadow over Innsmouth is up there as one of his best stories.
Alexandra
Mar 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Audiobook 1 of social distancing ✅ Thanks audible
Patrick Nichols
Oct 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
A delectable sampling from the lord of loathing. I've always thought Lovecraft's influence arose from his single-mindedness - he didn't allow anything as paltry as good writing to get in the way of his metaphysical disquietude.

This collection is a real mass-market mishmash, but that's part of the fun. We have "Arthur Jermyn," which by far is the most blatant testament to Lovecraft's racism. The eponymous Arthur basically discovers - to his horror - his African heritage, and naturally is driven
Mitch
Oct 15, 2011 rated it it was ok
My month of horror/Halloween themed novels in October continues in search of the scariest book. So, naturally, I decided to try out Lovecraft, who I have never read before. Lovecraft is considered the best horror short-story writer, so I was excited to find this collection of his stories at my favourite used book shop.

Now, I must say, I discovered with Lovecraft that his stories are either hit or miss with me. I either found them amazing, or found them dull and sometimes over-the-top. Never onc
Emmett
Sep 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories, horror
The Lurking Fear was what drew me into this one. I enjoyed the suspense, the accentuating sense of mystery and horror, and it's clear why Lovecraft and his fictional universe stand out as one of the pillars of the horror genre. I found it very impressive how Derleth mirrors Lovecraft's writing - it's almost uncanny, that if the book had not stated discreetly in the copyrights section the stories' respective authors, I would be surprised had I been told they were written by different people. Of c ...more
Stephen
Dec 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my first foray into the world of HP Lovecraft. It was my in my mother's book and I'll never forget some of the things I read in it.
Rebecca McNutt
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Nobody does horror quite like H.P. Lovecraft, and this book of strange and sinister stories is no exception. Definitely a book worth reading :D
Samuel Osborne
Oct 24, 2017 rated it liked it
The Lurking Fear and Other Stories by H.P. Lovecraft is a collection of short stories as the title would suggest. This book houses many of Lovecraft's more famous works, such as The Street, The Rats In the Walls, and The Terrible Old Man. You follow the perspectives of many different narrators in this collection of tales, though many of them speak in the same or similar voices and styles of speech.

I enjoyed reading this book, H.P. Lovecraft had a gift for writing stories in such a way that one s
Aaron Bellamy
Apr 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: literary-horror
This is a good collection for readers that want a sampling of what Lovecraft is all about. It is not a collection of Lovecraft's best stories. Within you'll get aspects of HPL's brilliant ability to create atmosphere, a healthy dose of his prose style, a sneak peak into some of his mythos making, and unfortunately his racism.

Shadow over Innsmouth is arguably one of HPL's best stories, some would say THE best. Of the longer stories, it is probably the most readable.

But, Lovecraft just isn't for e
Sean McBride
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am reading this as a project to do a blind read through of all of Lovecraft, so I can make any kind of connections that other authors may have inferred, without their influence. This is the second book in that project and we delve far more into the mythos in this book than in "The Doom that came to Sarnath". There are specific mentions of Great Old ones (and Deep ones) and how they actually correlate to the cults that worship them.
Lovecraft is a master at atmosphere and theme, but he's an ama
Jim
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
"doom, gloom, and cosmic terror from the deep" is an acquired taste for those who aren't strict admirers of all of his work, completists, as they say... i read Lovecraft early in my horror days and found it so unbelievably different and eerily unsettling, likely the goal of the tales it would seem... the Cthulhu mythos is fascinating and bizarrely otherworldly, and the best i can describe the feeling when reading quality works of this "genre" is that of a ghastly bass rumbling that is just on th ...more
A Mig
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
There is some poetic sickness to the surroundings, the story builds up to a final riveting conclusion, in short, the classic Lovecraft experience. However, what is new, a detail maybe, is that the story is for once associated with the idea of a crowd: some reporters coming to the doomed village. The media attention makes the story more real in a sense, since the other Lovecraftian stories usually represent a lonely journey where reality and dream, sanity and madness, are difficult to dissociate.
Scott
Jun 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Thank you to audible for allowing free stream during the pandemic. Lovecraft is quintessential horror, and I've never read one before. So I figured now is a great time to try it. There were certainly aspects that were really enjoyable or ideas. My guess is at the time it was written it really was a five plus star book. But since this is my first introduction to Lovecraft I found it to be a little weak and horror. Maybe if I read more I might get into it more and understand it better and perhaps ...more
Johnny Lloyd
Nov 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Mixed bag of short stories from Lovecraft. "The Shadow Over Innsmouth" is a classic, of course, and several other stories were fairly memorable ("From Beyond", "The Temple", "Beyond the Wall of Sleep"). Plenty more were mediocre (or notably racist!). If you're looking for an introduction to the horror great, I'd steer toward a better curated set of his works.
Zachary
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Nothing but nothing like Lovecraft, and for me, the best way to read his extraordinary, uncanny prose is via a tattered old paperback like this DelRey edition, a mass-market something you might have picked up at the bus station in the 1960s. "The Shadow Over Innsmouth" is officially my new favorite Lovecraft horror.
Mariana
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: usa, owned
I can understand why these stories were left for the 4th volume. They're definitely some of Lovecraft's weakest, with a few not even being finished, not to mention how his racism, which is always present to a degree in his writing, is particularly glaring in some of these pieces. There were a few good ones in there, but for the most part they were underwhelming
Kenneth
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first collection of H.P. Lovecraft stories that I ever read, in my Junior High/High School years back in the day. Totally fascinating! Eerie & eldritch! A copy my Dad had bought back in the 1940's, I think. ...more
Pieter
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some of Lovecraft's best works, most of which are not included in the Necronomicon. The weird and uncanny tales have aged better than those in the Necronomicon as well, with the 'big reveals' less obvious and many stories simply conjuring up a feeling of unease rather than providing a narrative.
Tim Ganotis
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was great. My first reading of Lovecraft. I expected the writing to be much more schlocky and dated, but it's quite well done. Interesting premises, the classic "twist ending" in most, but better than hoped. Looking forward to finding more by Lovecraft.
Austin Wright
Sep 05, 2019 rated it liked it
The short story Lurking Fear, for me, was difficult to follow. The Wikipedia page had a full summary, which helped me understand the story better. There was about 1 page of graphic content among 19 pages of filler.
Lorelei
Apr 18, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5. Interesting but hit or miss for me. Some were wonderfully spooky, others were not, and none really scared me. But his writing style is eloquent and engaging and I can see how in another time, would have terrified people.
Wetdryvac Wetdryvac
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really love the storytelling here, but holy *censored* that's some racism front and center. Makes Kipling's Empire-centric stuff look like dabbling.
Ryan Rikic
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I could quote this entire book. But I wont. Instead im going to make myself some noodles and tell you to read it. If your into creature books then go for it.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Witchcraft of Salem Village
  • Four Classic Horror Stories
  • Night Sky (Night Sky, #1)
  • Exit Interview with My Grandmother
  • Shade's Children
  • Japanese Fairy Tales
  • Beyond Strange Lands
  • Fade to Black
  • Shadows over Innsmouth (Shadows Over Innsmouth #1)
  • Little Knife (Grishaverse, #2.6)
  • The Conspiracy Against the Human Race
  • Wizard for Hire
  • The Horror Stories of Robert E. Howard
  • Morella
  • Welcome to Camp Nightmare  (Goosebumps, #9)
  • Tripulação de Esqueletos
  • Emergence
  • Illuminations
Howard Phillips Lovecraft, of Providence, Rhode Island, was an American author of horror, fantasy and science fiction.

Lovecraft's major inspiration and invention was cosmic horror: life is incomprehensible to human minds and the universe is fundamentally alien. Those who genuinely reason, like his protagonists, gamble with sanity. Lovecraft has developed a cult following for his Cthulhu Mythos, a