Start by marking “The Lurking Fear and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
The Lurking Fear and Other Stories

The Lurking Fear and Other Stories

(H.P. Lovecraft Collected Short Stories #4)

Twelve soul-chilling stories by the master of horror will leave you shivering in your boots and afraid to go out in the night. Only H.P. Lovecraft can send your heart racing faster than it's ever gone before. And here are the stories to prove it.

Contents:

1 · The Lurking Fear · nv Home Brew Jan ’23 (+3); Weird Tales Jun ’28
23 · Dagon · ss The Vagrant Nov ’19; Weird Tales
Published May 12th 1987 by Del Rey (first published 1923)

To ask other readers questions about The Lurking Fear and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lurking Fear and Other Stories

Rosemarie
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Shadow over Innsmouth is a truly creepy story.
Michael
Sep 16, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Horror fans, Lovecraftians, Geeks
Recommended to Michael by: AD&D Deities and Demigods
Shelves: pulp-fiction
Every year at this time, I return to HPL. It always gives me pleasure, although at this many re-readings, there isn't the same thrill of newness and discovery, nor does the imagery fire my dreams as much as it once did.

This collection is solid, although not necessarily cohesive. Most of the stories are straight-forward horror, and mostly outside of the mythos cycle, although there is one Dreamworld story ("The White Ship") and the longest story ("The Shadow over Innsmouth") is fairly well part o
Elle
Jul 31, 2017 marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
DNF

here's the thing. This is my first lovecraft, and I don't actually think I have a big problem with his writing! however, I think I might have a problem with this collection.
I've currently read the first four stories, and only enjoyed ONE (on a singular basis, I probably would have rated that particular one 4*). this doesn't seem to me like a collection of his best works, but a collection OF his works, including some of his worst. The title story, the lurking fear, offered some promise when y
Laura Elebesunu
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
my first lovecraft read!!
I took this slow, reading one story every few days to savor his style of writing... I mean, with such precision in his word choice and detail, Lovecraft is the king of description. He has a way of weaving a story that draws you in, makes you feel a sort of unnerving suspense from the first word, and as much as you may guess the direction a story is being taken, he runs with it, going even deeper, making every twist, every revelation that much creepier 😍
Allen Houston
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Shadow over Innsmouth is up there as one of his best stories.
Patrick Nichols
Oct 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
A delectable sampling from the lord of loathing. I've always thought Lovecraft's influence arose from his single-mindedness - he didn't allow anything as paltry as good writing to get in the way of his metaphysical disquietude.

This collection is a real mass-market mishmash, but that's part of the fun. We have "Arthur Jermyn," which by far is the most blatant testament to Lovecraft's racism. The eponymous Arthur basically discovers - to his horror - his African heritage, and naturally is driven
Mitch
Oct 15, 2011 rated it it was ok
My month of horror/Halloween themed novels in October continues in search of the scariest book. So, naturally, I decided to try out Lovecraft, who I have never read before. Lovecraft is considered the best horror short-story writer, so I was excited to find this collection of his stories at my favourite used book shop.

Now, I must say, I discovered with Lovecraft that his stories are either hit or miss with me. I either found them amazing, or found them dull and sometimes over-the-top. Never onc
Emmett
Sep 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories, horror
The Lurking Fear was what drew me into this one. I enjoyed the suspense, the accentuating sense of mystery and horror, and it's clear why Lovecraft and his fictional universe stand out as one of the pillars of the horror genre. I found it very impressive how Derleth mirrors Lovecraft's writing - it's almost uncanny, that if the book had not stated discreetly in the copyrights section the stories' respective authors, I would be surprised had I been told they were written by different people. Of c ...more
Rebecca McNutt
Nobody does horror quite like H.P. Lovecraft, and this book of strange and sinister stories is no exception. Definitely a book worth reading :D
Stephen
Dec 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my first foray into the world of HP Lovecraft. It was my in my mother's book and I'll never forget some of the things I read in it.
Samuel Osborne
Oct 24, 2017 rated it liked it
The Lurking Fear and Other Stories by H.P. Lovecraft is a collection of short stories as the title would suggest. This book houses many of Lovecraft's more famous works, such as The Street, The Rats In the Walls, and The Terrible Old Man. You follow the perspectives of many different narrators in this collection of tales, though many of them speak in the same or similar voices and styles of speech.

I enjoyed reading this book, H.P. Lovecraft had a gift for writing stories in such a way that one s
Sean McBride
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am reading this as a project to do a blind read through of all of Lovecraft, so I can make any kind of connections that other authors may have inferred, without their influence. This is the second book in that project and we delve far more into the mythos in this book than in "The Doom that came to Sarnath". There are specific mentions of Great Old ones (and Deep ones) and how they actually correlate to the cults that worship them.
Lovecraft is a master at atmosphere and theme, but he's an ama
Shall I Download A Black Hole And Offer It To You
"doom, gloom, and cosmic terror from the deep" is an acquired taste for those who aren't strict admirers of all of his work, completists, as they say... i read Lovecraft early in my horror days and found it so unbelievably different and eerily unsettling, likely the goal of the tales it would seem... the Cthulhu mythos is fascinating and bizarrely otherworldly, and the best i can describe the feeling when reading quality works of this "genre" is that of a ghastly bass rumbling that is just on th ...more
A.N. Mignan
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
There is some poetic sickness to the surroundings, the story builds up to a final riveting conclusion, in short, the classic Lovecraft experience. However, what is new, a detail maybe, is that the story is for once associated with the idea of a crowd: some reporters coming to the doomed village. The media attention makes the story more real in a sense, since the other Lovecraftian stories usually represent a lonely journey where reality and dream, sanity and madness, are difficult to dissociate.
Johnny Lloyd
Nov 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Mixed bag of short stories from Lovecraft. "The Shadow Over Innsmouth" is a classic, of course, and several other stories were fairly memorable ("From Beyond", "The Temple", "Beyond the Wall of Sleep"). Plenty more were mediocre (or notably racist!). If you're looking for an introduction to the horror great, I'd steer toward a better curated set of his works.
Tim Ganotis
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was great. My first reading of Lovecraft. I expected the writing to be much more schlocky and dated, but it's quite well done. Interesting premises, the classic "twist ending" in most, but better than hoped. Looking forward to finding more by Lovecraft.
Pieter
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some of Lovecraft's best works, most of which are not included in the Necronomicon. The weird and uncanny tales have aged better than those in the Necronomicon as well, with the 'big reveals' less obvious and many stories simply conjuring up a feeling of unease rather than providing a narrative.
Kenneth
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first collection of H.P. Lovecraft stories that I ever read, in my Junior High/High School years back in the day. Totally fascinating! Eerie & eldritch! A copy my Dad had bought back in the 1940's, I think.
Wetdryvac Wetdryvac
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really love the storytelling here, but holy *censored* that's some racism front and center. Makes Kipling's Empire-centric stuff look like dabbling.
Damian Stephens
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
STILL terrified by the title story! Brilliant!
Will
Jun 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mostly good, some not so much
Iliana Veltcheva
May 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Bulgarian edition of this Lovecraft anthology is very different (it only features a small handful of stories, at least one of which isn’t in the original). My apologies to the purists, but since the title’s the same, and the book I actually read as a child isn’t on GR, I’m submitting my review here.

The Lurking Fear (BG edition) contains two of the three short stories (by any writer) that have genuinely scared me. I picked it up at a book fair when I was 12 - same time and place I got my fir
Tatev
"...These beings were like waters of the river Than, not to be understood. Their deeds I recall not, for they were but of a moment. Their aspects I recall dimly, it was like to that of the little apes in the trees. Their name I recall cleary, for it rhymes with that of river. These beings of yesterday were called Men".

Memory. H.P. Lovecraft.

I have long restrained myself from reviewing the classics. Too much has already been said; to many critics have spent a handful of sleepless nights producing
Dan Henk
Dec 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I think Lovecraft often gets a bad rap. People read that he influenced the modern greats, everyone form authors like Stephen King and Clive Barker, to movie makers like John Carpenter and Wes Craven, and then dive into his books expecting the same fare. He wrote for a different era. His mind-bending, first person surrealistic approach to a creeping, nameless horror stunned and fascinated huge segments of early century America. The America that read, that is, which wasn't nearly what it is today. ...more
Mark R.
Jun 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
As a horror fan, I'm probably not as well-read in Lovecraft literature as I should be. This was my second time through this collection, and I've also read "The Doom that Came to Sarnoth, and Other Stories." Both are excellent collections, and I'm thinking it might be about time to purchase that massive "Necronomicon" which collects all of his stories.

I read "The Lurking Fear" again after working out ideas for a story of my own, based on Lovecraft's interpretation of the ancient Babylonian god Da
Mochizuki
Aug 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The Lurking Fear is a collection of 12 separate stories, written from the mid 20s to the late 30s, and generally can be considered part of the classic Lovecraft body of work. In particular, stories like The Shadow Over Innsmouth, Dagon, The Temple, The Outsider, and Arthur Jermyn are among the best he wrote; some of the dream-sequence stuff, like The White Ship, are less powerful but still unmistakeably Lovecraftian.

Stories like these are best read separately, individually; when run together, s
Stephen Henninger
Just finished a collection of H.P. Lovecraft short stories. My first real foray into Lovecraft was pleasant but left some to be desired.

Lovecraft has a very interesting style but at times is too long winded in his description. Also I find his narration style, always an unnamed man, to be too similar and in a short story collection makes the reader tire quickly of reading; at least it did for this reader.

However, some of the stories were really good. My personal favorites were ‘The Lurking Fear’,
Libicni
Aug 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
En el aniversario del nacimiento de H.P.Lovecraft leí "el horror oculto" como siempre este clásico autor no me decepciona con sus oscuros relatos llenos de seres espeluznantes. y está obra no fue la excepción, en este caso una repulsiva criatura que sólo salía de noche precedida por fuertes truenos causaba la muerte de sus víctimas desmembrándolas de maneras impensables, una antigua casa abandonada en el bosque alberga la maligna criatura caníbal producto de la endogamia en una milenaria familia ...more
Rustin
Mar 17, 2011 rated it it was ok
H.P. Lovecraft is an influential writer of horror who has gained fame after his death. My tastes seem more in line with his contemporaries. I didn't like his writing and his stories were strange, but not startling. This book was rather boring, but the short stories make it readable during trips. Short stories found in Alfred Hitchcock Magazine are better.

Read to p. 98 which includes: The Lurking Fear; Dagan; Beyond the Wall of Sleep; The White Ship; Arthur Jermyn; From Beyond; The Temple; The Mo
Shane
May 17, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, readin2007
This is another Lovecraft collection that I've been reading for years and just decided to finish this year. Surprisingly, I thought the title story was the worst of the lot. That said it still wasn't bad, just a little over the top with the "indescribable horror" stuff (yes even for Lovecraft). The other story that was rather strange was -The Temple- which felt like it was some one else writing a Lovecraft story. Other than that though many of these are solid additions to the Lovecraft library, ...more
  • The Nyarlathotep Cycle: The God of a Thousand Forms
  • Nameless Cults: The Complete Cthulhu Mythos Fiction of Robert E. Howard
  • The Book of Iod: Ten Tales of the Mythos
  • Weird Tales: The Magazine That Never Dies
  • Disciples of Cthulhu
  • Mysteries of the Worm: Twenty Cthulhu Mythos Tales by Robert Bloch (Call of Cthulhu Fiction)
  • The Complete Pegāna: All the Tales Pertaining to the Fabulous Realm of Pegāna
  • The Trail of Cthulhu
  • A Rendezvous in Averoigne
  • The Encyclopedia Cthulhiana: A Guide to Lovecraftian Horror
  • H.P. Lovecraft's Book of Horror
  • The Yellow Sign & Other Stories
  • Titus Crow: The Burrowers Beneath, the Transition of Titus Crow
  • H.P. Lovecraft: A Biography
  • The Boats of the 'glen Carrig'
Howard Phillips Lovecraft, of Providence, Rhode Island, was an American author of horror, fantasy and science fiction.

Lovecraft's major inspiration and invention was cosmic horror: life is incomprehensible to human minds and the universe is fundamentally alien. Those who genuinely reason, like his protagonists, gamble with sanity. Lovecraft has developed a cult following for his Cthulhu Mythos, a

H.P. Lovecraft Collected Short Stories (4 books)
  • The Whisperer in Darkness: Collected Stories Volume 1