Start by marking “Young Nick's Head” as Want to Read:
Young Nick's Head

Young Nick's Head

3.45  ·  Rating details ·  1,753 Ratings  ·  201 Reviews
To 11-year-old Nicholas Young, the tall masts of the exploratory ship Endeavour look like an answer to his fervent prayers. On the run from his demanding father and the cruel butcher who employed him, Nick finds adventure beyond his wildest imaginings when he stows away on the ship of legendary Captain James Cook. Once he is discovered and put to work, Nick becomes party t ...more
Published April 2nd 2001 by Simon & Schuster Childrens Books (first published April 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Young Nick's Head, please sign up.
Lois Letchford This book is historical fiction. It is a good read. I want my students to listen to it with a world map - and follow the latitude and longitude…moreThis book is historical fiction. It is a good read. I want my students to listen to it with a world map - and follow the latitude and longitude readings along with Captain Cook & his crew. I believe it helps put the book into perspective. (less)

Will Byrnes
Stowaway is a YA book my wife picked up for my kids...back when they were kids.

This is a journal format book, in which the pre-teen (11) Nicholas Young stows away on the first of Captain Cook’s journeys of discovery. We are treated to a first hand experience of the sights seen, the dangers endured, the people met. The events are reported in a pleasant style, with appropriate language that might have been used by a youngster. I have no way of telling if the dialect is appropriate for the time, o
Emma Jane
Aug 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school
This was an interesting historical read. I don't know if I would have enjoyed it so much if I wasn't so fascinated by 18th century ships and crews, but if you're interested in that sort of thing I'd recommend it! :-) Not a very happy book, that's for sure; lots of hardships, some talk of savagery, lots and lots of people dying. (Seriously, in the last twenty pages or so, they were dropping like flies! What even!) I REALLY like the character of Nicholas Young, though. He was an engaging narrator ...more
Madison Jones
Oct 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stowaway is the fictionalized story of the amazing adventures of a real-life boy named Nicholas Young. Only a few facts are known about the real Nicholas Young: 1) he really did stow away on Captain Cook's voyage around the world when he was 11 years old; 2) when he was discovered, Captain Cook commissioned him into the Royal Navy and made him assistant to the ship's surgeon aboard the Endeavour 3) he was the first person on Captain Cook's ship to spot New Zealand; 4) when he grew up, he explore ...more
Diane
This is a young adult novel about Captain Cook’s 1768-71 voyage to the South Seas and around the world on the ship Endeavour. The author found documentation that a boy, Nicholas Young, about age 11 had stowed away on the Endeavour. The book is told entirely through the eyes of Nick in his journal. (There was evidence that Nick was literate.) The author has used ship logs and diaries so that the story of the trip is accurate. Read the brief epilogue first.

I have read a number of books about sea v
Lydia
Jun 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stowaway was slow at times but if you like adventure stories (particularly taking place on a boat) then you'll love this. The way Hesse writes makes it seem like an actual journal written by an actual boy. Her factual style and young-boy personification makes it even more enjoyable.
Doug
Jun 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great adventure story, for readers in the 9-12 year old age group who like adventure/science/nature/history. Highly recommended.
Ashley
Oct 22, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought it was a pretty good book. I don't know why he would stowaway on a ship and risk being killed, but otherwise, it was really good.
Jack
Dec 10, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
me and my mom tried to read it but didn't succeed. too long/ boring im sorry Karen Hesse im sorry

Mary Beth
Based off the true story of Captain Cook's first voyage around the world and written in a journal style. Fascinating, and well written you will be cheering for NiK throughout the book!
Quince Winstyn
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history-fiction
Awesome book!
Adriane Devries
What better way to trace the explorations of Captain Cook than to stow away on H.M.S Endeavor herself, just before an illustrious three-year voyage of discovery?

A boy named Nicholas Young appears to have done just this. Since the historical account of his presence aboard is rather scant, beginning in the ship’s log abruptly some months into the journey, author Karen Hesse fleshes out the life and times of a typical boy growing up in the late 1700’s in England. Son of an angry father, and apprent
RJ Rathsack
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stowaway Book Review
By RJ Rathsack

Karen Hesse takes readers on a marvelous journey throughout the book Stowaway. The story is inspired by a real boy who stowed away aboard Captain James Cook's ship Endeavour on its 1768 voyage. It is based on what little is known about 11-year-old Nicholas Young and spins an imaginative tale firmly anchored in fact. The brief diary entries adhere to the ship's actual itinerary and detail Nick's adventures. This historical fiction read is right around a 6th grad
E Wilson
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my least favorite genres, a fictionalized account of a real person. Very little is known about Nicholas Young except that he was a stowaway on Captain Cook's first voyage to circumnavigate the globe. The author invents a diary written by the young boy.

I gave the book 4 stars due to all the details about Cook's voyage and the day to day life on
board a relatively small ship on a voyage that lasted 3 years. Cook was looking for a new
continent (Antarctica?)that they did not discover.
Alice
Nov 27, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Benjamin Ely
I feel that Stowaway has been degrading And the author is not using enough details. I believe this because In the book the author Said “still we search for the island that the captain doesn't believe exists”, when she could've said it with much more color like this. And yet we are still searching for a piece of land the captain says mustn't exist. The author did give great description in some parts I would gladly trade that for a book that had good description all the way through. Were in this b ...more
Bronwyn
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stowaway is a historical fiction book about a 13 year old named Nicholas who sets foot on a stowaway ship. He goes on a long journey seeing Indians, fighting gales, and finding new lands with his crew. Personally, I thought that the book was neat because it was an adventure. I say this because he finds so many lands and helps watch over people who got sick from diseases. You might not want to read this book if you want the book to start out fast. But you also might want to read the book because ...more
Ace
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stowaway is a historical fiction, a quick summary of the book is that its a boy who ran because he didn't want to be with the butcher so he stowed away on a ship. He got caught on the ship but they added him as part of the crew. I think the book is great and I say that because as I progressed to the middle and end there were a lot of interesting things going on. You shouldn't read this book if you don't like slow beginnings but if you have patience and could wait for the good parts of the book t ...more
Noah
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stowaway was a historical fiction. A quick summary of this book is that its a boy who ran because he didn't want to be with the butcher so he stows away on a ship. But he got caught on the ship but they added them to their crew. I think the book is great and I say that because as I progressed to the middle and end there was a lot of interesting things going on. I recommend this book because its really interesting and it has a lot of action.
Erik Byron
I read this back in middle school, but unlike a lot of other books I found in my middle school's library, this is one that I still have a positive opinion on.

It's a quasi-historical novel, and yes it's very informative, but it's driven by characters that I learned to love and care about which is the key to any successful novel, historical or not.

But still, it's a kids book, so if you're reading this review and you're above the age of 15, I wouldn't recommend it.
Hanna
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stowaway is about a boy who stows away on a ship and goes around the world finding new lands and meeting new friends with crazy storms. As a person who read it was slow in the beginning but it picked up pace after he met people. If you don't like historical fiction then you may not want to read it or if you like books that are interesting from the beginning then you also may not want to read it but should always give it a chance.
Joshua
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
STOWAWAY is a historical fiction book about a boy who stows away on a ship and once he is found he is basically part of the crew for a couple of years. My opinion on the book is its kinda boring at the beginning but as it goes on it get better and you grow to love and hate some of the characters.If you like more realistic books and books about traveling to different places you should read this book.
Mazzou B
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Quickly re-read this book which I had started years ago. It's a pretty accurate account of the time period and setting. Not the most adventurous book, but a good introduction to the subject.

Part 6 (chapter about Tahiti) does have one description about how the native women lacked...attire... which I didn't think necessary for young readers.
Matthew Hodge
Because of its day-by-day account of Captain Cook's voyage, there are some long dull stretches in this one.

But by the same token, the sheer length of time that the voyage took becomes very real, Cook and his crew start to come alive, plus the excitement of discovery and the tragedy of all the deaths on the way back. Definitely an engaging insight into that momentous sea voyage.
Donna Culpepper
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a book intended for a younger audience than myself but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I was hooked from the first page. I love the fact that the characters were real people. I enjoyed the author fleshing them out and giving them a story to tell. I recommend it to all ages especially if your father was a sailor like mine.
Amy
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: big-kid-lit, fiction
There are no swashbuckling pirates in this story. It is a fictional account of a real person on a real voyage. The writing is straightforward and winsome. Maybe too slow for dragon-loving readers, but well done and I loved it.
Lois Letchford
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this book! Hess has taken us on the historic journey of Captain Cook in 1770. She writes through the eyes of an 11-year-old stowaway on the small sailing vessel called Endeavor while living with a goat, two cats, and two dogs.
Emily
Jul 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
better than the other Karen Hesse book I read, a bit hard to get through
Hannah
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile
Stowaway had everything going for it, but it didn't deliver. Very slow paced.
Ellen
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this, but think I would’ve enjoyed the journal format more as a book, than I did as an audiobook.
Patrick
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very entertaining and different point of view for Cooks voyage. I enjoyed it immensely.
  • The Broken Blade (Pierre La Page #1)
  • The Kidnapped Prince: The Life of Olaudah Equiano
  • In Search of Honor
  • Betsy and the Emperor
  • Madeleine Takes Command
  • Mystery of the Roman Ransom
  • The Ravenmaster's Secret: Escape From The Tower Of London
  • Angel on the Square (Angel on the Square, #1)
  • Nory Ryan's Song (Nory Ryan, #1)
  • It's a Jungle Out There (The Rani Adventures, #1)
  • The Iron Peacock
  • The Ides of April (Roman Empire Sequence, #2)
  • Live Like a Jesus Freak: Spend Today as If It Were Your Last
  • Escape Across the Wide Sea
  • Theras and His Town
  • The Ghost in the Tokaido Inn (Samurai Detective, #1)
  • Only the Names Remain: The Cherokees and The Trail of Tears
  • Rodzina
Karen Hesse is an American author of children's literature and literature for young adults, often with historical settings. Her novel Out of the Dust was the winner of the 1998 Newbery Medal and the Scott O'Dell Award for Historical Fiction. In 2002, Hesse was a recipient of the MacArthur Fellowship.

For more information, please see http://us.macmillan.com/author/karenh...
More about Karen Hesse

Young Adult Deals

• Beneath the Shine
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Greensleeves
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Keeping You a Secret
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
  • Time Bomb
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Some Fine Day
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • The Odds of Loving Grover Cleveland
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99