Start by marking “The Littles” as Want to Read:
The Littles

The Littles

(The Littles #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  17,514 ratings  ·  259 reviews
The Littles is a timeless favorite that's been enjoyed for decades. Ready to grab the attention of a new generation, fresh cover art brings an updated look to this classic series.
The Littles live in the walls of the Biggs' house. But when the Biggs go on vacation a messy family comes to stay, the trouble begins. Mice! Cats! How much can one small family take? Will Tom and
Published January 1st 1993 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published January 1st 1967)

To ask other readers questions about The Littles, please sign up.
Sean Harding Because the story would not make sense if they were not.

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of The Littles
Corinna
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you have littles, sit with them and read The Littles. Yes, yes. I hear your collective groan.

But seriously, this entire series is just adorable and magical. Unlike Narnia and other well-known childhood books, this series actually makes you believe you have magic living in your own walls, electric outlets, and silverware drawers. Watch close, kiddos! You never know...you might see them.
Sara Hannon
Dec 05, 2011 added it
Shelves: fantasy
1. Fantasy

2. When the family they live with goes on vacation, the Littles, tiny people with tails, have the adventure of a lifetime when a new family moves in for a few months. This new family brings mice and then a cat to give the Littles more than they have ever had to deal with before.

3. This is a well-written children's book. It is written on such a great level for young readers. The wording is clear, the story is adventurous, and the large type is offset by cute little illustrations.
Colton W
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well I rate it four stars is because there was some dying in mice fights so minus one star for that. But I really like how the Littles became friends with the cat. I also liked how they made secret passageways and look out places. I am so happy to be reading chapter books!
Kristine Hansen
Jul 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chapter-book, kids
My first introduction to The Littles was on Saturday morning when I was a child and they used to have these specials on TV that featured some sort of book or another. I remember the delight with which I found and devoured the first book.

I wasn't sure how the series would hold up with me now, 30 years later. But it does. I still love The Littles and as always am fascinated by their adventures, but even more by the way they live inside the walls. There was a time I was POSITIVE little people lived
midnightfaerie
Jun 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
We read over half of this and then just got plain bored. It started out good, but I think there were too many characters too fast and it got confusing for both myself and my 5 yr old. We tried to finish it, but in the end, we thought our time could be put to better use and so picked up the next book in the Chronicles of Narnia series we were also reading. What a difference when a child is engaged. Don't think we'll finish this.
Miss Smith's Class
Nov 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If you want to read an exciting book, this one is for you! We read it as a second grade class. Some of our favorite parts are when Lucy saves the day, when the Little's are scared of the mice, taming the cat, and many others! It is full of adventure, excitement, and has some funny parts. We definitely recommend this book to other second graders or anyone who wants to read a good book.
Elizabeth
Sweet, mild, and old-fashioned. This would be great to read aloud to kids in the 4-7 year range; it's probably a bit too simplistic for children older than that. I liked that every person in the family, no matter how young or old, could contribute to solving the family's problems.
Wendi
Jan 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love all of the Littles books. I read them when I was in grade school. I even thought that maybe the Littles lived in my basement.
Luisa Knight
Mar 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: i-can-read, children
If you're looking for something to hand off to your young reader, give this series a try!

The Littles are "humans" ... they just have a tail and are six inches tall. That's all. Oh, and they live in the Biggs house; not that the Biggs know it, because the Littles reside in the tiny spaces and nooks of the home. The Littles take food scraps and things they find in the garbage and in return for "mooching" off of the Biggs, they repair the leaks in the pipes and the electrical issues in the house.
Rachel
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What you should know is the new cover art feels very modernized compared to the 1967 copy sitting on my lap. The one I have is black and white, minus a burnt orange for the title and some illustrations. I only mention this because what I'm looking at and read makes me feel completely different then the cover staring back at me on Goodreads. I'm glad that The Little's is still being printed, but I feel like I've stumbled onto the real treasure so to speak with it's outdated illustrations and ...more
Jennifer (JenIsNotaBookSnob)
Well, that was short and simple and obviously a bit childish, however, it was refreshing to read a fiction book that could be safely recommended to anyone. This is an early chapter book and I place it as a peer amongst the Magic Tree House books. Like those books, this is unlikely to end up being someone's favorite book of all time. It is cute, mildly entertaining, has some light adventure and then wraps up happily. I can't vouch for the entire series as I've only read this one, but, fans of ...more
Sara Skouson
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a fun little read. I read it aloud to my son in about an hour. So it's quick! But it was a fun story and easy to read aloud. It has some drawings on some of the pages so that was fun for my son to follow along and look at.
Leigha
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nostalgic
I don't remember if I read this as a child. It is familiar, but that might be only because of the similar books The Borrowers and The Littles tv show (and various movies with small people)

It still has a great nostalgic feeling to it.
Heather Pleier
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed reading this as a read-aloud with my 6yo. The writing is good, the characters not completely one-sided, and the tension in the stories is easier to handle than in most realistic fiction.
Tiffany
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is another book recommended by a dear friend. I had read it as a child and enjoyed reading it aloud to my girls. It has great themes about fears and finding solutions. And it’s fun.
Julia
I can't really remember which of "The Littles" books that I read and I would have to rely on my sister to be the memory-keeper of this particular book as the series was more her like than my own. The part of the Littles that I did enjoy was the tv series, which just shows you how old I am but the tv characters truly did match and in some cases bypassed those in the book.

The writing is simple and easy-to-follow making it a great book for those children who are on the beginning of reading
Jodi
Nov 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Jodi by: Gram Henige
Candi
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Just started reading this series with my son. I thought it was appropriate since I'm always calling my kids "The Littles". I think it's super cute and interesting, a bit like Stuart Little (which came way later). When I asked my son what he would rate it (between 1 and 5), he said "Six, for epic." Love the enthusiasm. :-)
HeavyReader
Jul 04, 2007 rated it really liked it
When I was a kid, I really wanted to believe that tiny little people lived in the walls of my house and took little things from me and my family to furnish their home. Alas, it was all just fiction.
Cason
Jan 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved the I liked when Tom tied the yarn ball to the cat and sat on the cat!
H
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
I know I read this series a few years ago, but dont recall how many books in the series I read, which ones, or whether I finished any/all of them. But I liked it a bit as a kid and decided to revisit it since I'd been looking up the similar sounding Secret World of Arrietty.

I think this book was alright. I like that they're small and thus natural underdogs, but I was hoping for a bit more ingenuity in their world. Ex use dolls' clothes, maybe make weapons from pencils/pins/needles, and
Candice
Apr 25, 2018 rated it liked it
The littles are tiny people with tails who live in the walls of the Bigg's. They get everything they need from the Bigg's house in return they keep the house up to code. When the Biggs go away for the summer they bring in a new family to watch the house who happens to bring in mice! The littles must sneak around the mice and keep up with the house. The book is great for young readers who like something different. I give it a 3 for a great story.
Allison Turkish
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this series when I was a child and remember being very fond of the books, rereading the ones I owned. I am now reading them to my 4- almost-5-year-old and he loves them. The books have a decent amount of drawings to keep a younger child interested and the stories really spark his imagination. He's built houses for the "tinies" in Duplo, bristle block, and tinker toys.
Jeanette
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: age-4
I don't know how many times I read this series. We owned a bunch of them, so when I was younger, I would have the books all in order and then I would read them or make my parents read them to me or read them to my little sister. Looking back, they're pretty poorly written and all about the same, but back then, they were one of my favorite book series.
BellaM
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Tom Little was my favorite character because in the book he was always the bravest. He dressed up in a mouse suit and went to go kill the bad mice. I was most surprised that the mice were bad in the story. I wouldn’t change the ending because it was amazing! When I finished the book I felt really happy.
Nick
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: laura
There simply wasn't anything here. At only 80 pages we never really meet the characters, never get into a plot, and never have any action to resolve. It's over before it starts. I ended up talking with my daughter more about cats than anything happening in the book. Children's books can be good at 80 pages, this one just felt boring and pointless.
Sean Harding
Dec 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Another riff on the old little people plot device with here little people being called naturally the Littles and living in a house of bigger people naturally called the Biggs, who go away and new people come in, naturally called the Newcombs. Getting the picture?
Anyway reasonably good story, first of at least 15 book series! It felt really like a stand alone book but well go figure!
Laurelannb
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-as-a-kid
Oh! How I loved The Littles! To the extent that I fervently wished that 1) it were true that tiny denizens lived in the walls of my house and that 2) they would come out and talk to me.

I read these over and over when I was a little girl, enjoying, for example, the Littles' use of plastic sandwich bags as ground cloths for camping.

Fun, charming, delightful books!
Renee
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrensnovels
I decided to read this book after seeing the shows from my childhood. It is a cute upbeat story about little people and a pleasant read. Many people who enjoy childrens literature would enjoy this story. It is creative and fun.
Wendie Berry
Jun 09, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a very good series for 3rd grade readers who are a bit below or struggling with grade level texts. The story is about a family of little people with tails, who live in the walls of the Bigg's family house. The family must survive many dangers including a mouse incursion and a cat!

• Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective (Encyclopedia Brown, #1)
  • Henry & Ramona
  • Pippi in the South Seas
  • The Mouse and the Motorcycle (Ralph S. Mouse, #1)
  • Ralph S. Mouse by Beverly Cleary: Teacher Guide (Novel Units)
  • Henry Huggins (Henry Huggins, #1)
  • Hello, Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #4)
  • Nate the Great
  • The Borrowers (The Borrowers, #1)
  • Homer Price
  • A Lion to Guard Us
  • Ramona the Brave (Ramona, #3)
  • Tornado
  • The Chalk Box Kid
  • Riding the Pony Express
  • The Cabin Faced West
  • Gooney Bird Greene
  • The Boxcar Children (The Boxcar Children, #1)
John Lawrence Peterson was an American author of children's books best known as the creator of The Littles.

The Littles (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Littles Take a Trip