Start by marking “Embers” as Want to Read:
Embers

Embers

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  20,848 ratings  ·  2,359 reviews
As darkness settles on a forgotten castle at the foot of the Carpathian mountains, two men sit down to a final dinner together. They have not seen one another in forty-one years. At their last meeting, in the company of a beautiful woman, an unspoken act of betrayal left all three lives shattered - and each of them alone. Tonight, as wine stirs the blood, it is time to tal ...more
Published February 6th 2003 by Penguin (first published 1942)

To ask other readers questions about Embers, please sign up.
Virginia Arthur Embers: this book is a literary classic. It has absolutely no profanity or explicit sex in it. It just intimates the sex. It is about adultery/betraya…moreEmbers: this book is a literary classic. It has absolutely no profanity or explicit sex in it. It just intimates the sex. It is about adultery/betrayal/
and revenge but frames the character/plot in an almost Shakespearean way. (less)

·  20,848 ratings  ·  2,359 reviews

Start your review of Embers
Jim Fonseca
I’ve been on a binge reading Hungarian authors lately and Sandor Marai is the master. This is the 6th book of his I have read.

The time is during the Austro-Hungarian Empire in 1899. An isolated man has been waiting 41 years for a visit from his former best friend from army days and now he has appeared. His 90-year old nanny and man servant run the household and even hold hunts on the property, but the main character, ‘the general,’ as he is called, does not appear in public.

description

The ex-friend had an
Brina
Apr 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sandor Marai was born in 1900 in the former Austrian-Hungarian Empire at a time when honor to one's country was of the upmost importance. A staunch anti-fascist following the rise of the iron curtain, Marai was forced to flee his homeland and lived out his remaining days in California. First published in 1942 and recovered with his other novels, Embers is fast becoming a modern classic. A throwback to a time when royalty living in isolated castles was a common practice in Europe, Embers reveals ...more
Diane S ☔
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful words that form sentences that makes one stop and think. A exquisitely written story, very descriptive, one can picture the scenes down to the minutest of detail.

Friendship, the most expressive definition of a friendship between two men from different backgrounds that I have ever read. Betrayal, love, pride and at the last a definition of aging that is searing.

I cannot say enough about the experience of reading this book except to say it is one that I will long remember and that I mus
Carol
Embers presents some of the loveliest, most elegant writing I have encountered this year. At its core, however, it is an overlong ramble of a soliloquy that should have been reduced to a stunning short story. It's an easy enough read, full of the philosophical queries and conclusions of its aged General about the meaning of life, love, honor, killing, obligation, M-M friendship. But the guest is permitted only 5-8 lines. He can't get a word in edgewise. And Krisztina? She has no voice.

I would l
Seemita
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Seemita by: rahul
My fingers were interlocked around my Baba’s arm and my head was resting on his shoulders. I was stealing a glimpse of his face every now and then, convinced that the lines of exhaustion were going to creep upto his tongue any moment, tendering me an apology to relieve him of our evening chatter for the day. However, my apprehensions were misplaced. The exhaustion stood defeated in the face of the radiance that slowly, ever so gradually, filled his visage, displacing the fatigue like a magic pot ...more
Steven Godin
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, hungary
Two old men, one dimly lit room, and the past awakening. That's pretty much the set up for Sándor Márai's intensely felt and solemn 1942 novel, which was originally titled 'Candles burn until the end' in Hungary. He has a growing popularity post-death, due to his work, but also his troubled life, that is mirrored by Hungary's grave misfortunes in the 20th century, and it's sad to think at the time he took his own life in California of all places in 1989, the literary world still knew little of h ...more
Samadrita
Embers is a tale of heart-breaking beauty. The kind of beauty which is not apparent right at the onset but which makes its omnipresence felt as you keep turning the pages and reach that state of involvement with the narrative, where you cannot wait to feast your eyes and senses on another delicately structured sentence.
It lies in the pall of gloom cast by the shadow of some tragedy unspoken of, lurking in the dark, cobwebbed nooks and corners of a secluded castle, the relentless flow of time th
K.D. Absolutely
Aug 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to K.D. by: 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die (2006-2010); 501 Must Read Books
Shelves: 501, favorites, 1001-core
Dolors
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dolors by: The extinguished fire in me
Shelves: read-in-2017
“All that is left in the embers is ash, black ash, with the sheen of a mourning veil of watered silk.”

“Embers” is the ideal title to summon up the melancholic decadence that soaks the pages of this intense but short novella. Candles burn until they are totally consumed by the flickering nature of their essence, as it happens with life when confronted with its impending mortality.
Two old men, General Henrik and Kondrád, meet after forty years in a secluded castle in the heart of Hungary, where t
JimZ
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is good beyond words. The story line. How it is told. The writing.

And to think this was a lost masterpiece. Sándor Márai had died in relative obscurity in San Diego in 1989. It was only after the vice-president of Knopf, Carol Brown Janeway, got wind of it, read it (originally published in 1942), and translated it into English, that it got re-issued in 2002. It went through numerous printings…I have the 6th UK print edition. A wonderful painting on its front…captures the mood and stor
Mary
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, 2015, hungary
“We will talk these things through once more, try to establish the truth and then go to our deaths, I in this house, you somewhere else…”

My impression of Hungarian authors so far has been that they really know how to write dark and depressing gems. Embers is just that, and possibly the saddest and loneliest little book I’ve read in a while.

What’s lonelier than an elderly recluse brooding for decades in an isolated castle?

Familiar themes abound here: love, betrayal, regret. But it’s done in su
Mariel
Sep 30, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dentures
Recommended to Mariel by: it's Hungarian. My usual methods. I'm unpriginal
Blah blah blah put on a puffed up high horse pedestal. I really hate this book. Pseudo "and this was happening cause that's how it happens" styling itself as meaning of shit you could read on a quote of the day site. I HATE books that think telling you this is the same as actually having any meaning. You don't get to just say it and tell me you said it, you awful book. Please, stop coming into my life if you are one of these books!

Or it is a greeting card. The greeting card is to give to the s
Alice Poon
This was a powerful read that pulled my heart along with the narrator Henrik’s soul-searching dialogue (perhaps monologue is more appropriate) with his best friend and enemy Konrad whom he has not seen for forty-one years. The story is set in the 1900s in the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

The speech evokes a past love triangle between the two and Henrik’s wife, long dead, and a murder attempt. Henrik chose to stay silent about the double betrayal and to live on stoically. Konrad chose to escape to the
Cat
May 22, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I just didn't get this one.

This book is full of philosophical nonsense that fails to make an impact.

The main character is an uninteresting aristocrat with a victim mentality. He spends the entire book finding new and clumsy ways to say, "Woe is me."

The book is 213 pages long. It takes Sandor Marai 133 pages to pose his question, and another 70 pages to say that he doesn't need to hear the answer.

The real failure of this book is that Marai creates the background of a few other characters who ar
Ian
Jan 31, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is the last of the books I received as presents at Christmas 2020, and this novel, which I read in translation, is deservedly gaining the status of a modern classic. It’s based around the concept of two 75-year-old men, Henrik and Konrad, who are reunited after an absence of 41 years. In the novel Henrik is mostly referred to as “the General”. The two met as 10-year-old boys and stayed the closest of friends for 24 years, when suddenly Konrad resigned his Army Commission and disappeared.

Thi
Orsolya
Let me begin by being frank: I’m full-blooded Hungarian and the daughter of a deceased, well-known Hungarian non-fiction author so I’m slightly biased toward Hungarian literature. Not too mention that Sandor Marai, the author of Embers, shares striking resemblances to my father (escaping from communism holds, fleeing first to Italy before ever touching the US, and death in 1989). Despite these blatant favoritism, Embers is a pure masterpiece and in realm with the classics.

The reader is instantly
Nidhi Singh
Do you also believe that what gives our lives their meaning is the passion that suddenly invades us heart, soul, and body, and burns in us forever, no matter what else happens in our lives? And that if we have experienced this much, then perhaps we haven’t lived in vain? Is passion so deep and terrible and magnificent and inhuman?

Embers reads as a memoir with all the strength, verve, and emotions that a solitary perspective can bring. The incertitude of the narrator’s voice, the lack of defe
Stephen P(who no longer can participate due to illness)
Jan 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Stephen by: M. Sarki
Shelves: favorites

How do you untie knots you cannot see, invisible ropes slung around you? Freudian landscapes of unconditional love sought by birthrate, unfound. Does one spend life seeking? But how does one ever know? Even if found is it right, will it disappear, leave, be taken? Or does one live a life only in forward motion? The perspective changes when one is elderly, looking back on perspectives with an old friend one hasn't seen in forty years.

Within is a book of links and linkages, of the tryst o
Willow
Jul 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In our modern age, I think we tend to glamorize the turn-of-the-century upper classes. It’s probably because of Art Nouveau and the Gibson Girl. I always imagine men dressed in their fashionable tweed suits with stiff collars and ladies in long, lacey skirts with big flouncy hats. And there’s always some garden party somewhere with lots of flowers.

Funny thing though, authors who lived through this period don’t write about it that way. To them the period was filled with pretense, hypocrisy and pa
Joy D
Set in Hungary in 1940, seventy-five-year-old Henrik is awaiting the arrival of his friend, Konrad, whom he has not seen in forty-one years. Henrik is a general who lives in palatial estate. Konrad is of a lower social position. Henrik and Konrad met at military school in Vienna when they were children. As the story unfolds, it becomes evident that a significant event occurred in the past, which created a rift between these men. Henrik intends to discover the truth of what happened.

“Silently, w
Lynne King
“So he’s come back,” he said aloud, standing in the middle of the room. “Forty-one years and forty-three days later”.

“ These words seemed suddenly to exhaust him, as if he had only just understood the enormousness of forty-one years and forty-three days. He swayed, then sat down in the leather armchair with its worn back. On the little table within reach of his hand was a little silver bell, which he rang…

Oh my, a depressing but brilliant book. A tale of loss but so beautifully portrayed
Kelly
This poor, deluded, tragic, ridiculous, tied up in knots, righteous, self-righteous, profound, profoundly scared, old, tired, poor, poor man. The most fucked up, yet painfully real therapy session I’ve ever read. I don’t understand why people are frustrated in their reviews that the guest didn’t get to talk more- that was the whole point. That was never going to happen. He never wanted to know (he desperately did, but not really). He’s spent too much time, too many words, too many years, buildin ...more
Aubrey
This book grew and accustomed itself to my senses as an oblong piece of grit would first irritate, then slowly become smoothly subsumed by the oyster surrounding it. The final result was just as beautiful and deceptively complex as a perfectly round pearl would be, a piece of wonderful simplicity with a surprisingly sordid history of formation. Fortunately, the world at large did not feel the need to wrest this slowly wrought jewel from its protective nest, unlike its more physically cohesive co ...more
Tony
Jan 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: hungarian
Come in. Come in, come in, my friend. And you are my friend, closer to me than any brother or sister, even though we have not seen nor spoken to each other in 41 years. It is brutally cold outside, but in here there is a fire, and very fine wine. The room is meticulously set as it was at that last meal, down to that third place setting, empty now. I have figured everything out, what happened then, and why you fled. And now I will tell you.

An eavesdropper might wish for more dialogue between us,
lisa_emily
Aug 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dwellers and memorists
Recommended to lisa_emily by: Libby
Shelves: fictions
I loved this little book. It is short, and I could have finished within a few days, but I wanted to linger over it. What I loved most of about this book is its deliberation. The author wanted to work out one very small but potent aspect of a life- friendship and its death-and he took his time unfolding the details and complexities of feeling. In a way, one could say that nothing really happens in this book, except memories and thoughts. And it is true, the first half of the book consists of the ...more
Josh
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
(4.5) This is quite the case study into how the questioning of reason can keep a person alive until that question is answered: forty-one years, memories as if they were from yesterday, holding on, never leaving, keeping that thought, those questions betwixt a myriad of synapses firing endlessly until the time comes to explode forth with this torrent of misery, of elation, flooding; at last, he can finally die.

Many have given this a 'one' star based on the fact that Henrik, the main character, ru
Alma
“After reaching ninety, one ages differently from the way one aged at fifty or sixty: one ages without bitterness.”

“We were quite different, but we belonged together, we were more than the sum of our two selves, we were allies, we made our own community, and that is rare in life.”

“Friendship is no ideal state of mind; it is a law, and a strict one, on which the entire legal systems of great cultures were built. It reaches beyond personal desires and self-regard in men's hearts, its grip is grea
James Henderson
Sandor Marai has an uncanny ability to demonstrate his ideas through things that are not said. Embers is permeated with nostalgia for the past, a past that, as in Proust, cannot be recaptured. This book is excellent not just for how well it is written and how well it is structured, but for the author's ability to demonstrate his ideas through what is not said.
"My homeland no longer exists . . . Everything's come apart. My homeland was a feeling, and that feeling was mortally wounded. When that
Tim
Recommended by Dawn Tripp.

When I was in high school, I had the privilege of having one of those English teachers that you'd feel damned lucky to run across in the pages of a book, much less in real life. Morrow Jones would shape me indelibly as a reader, a writer, a film buff, a teacher, and a person. One of the many projects we took on together was that of creating fiction in unusual forms and shapes--a t shirt, a set of fake Cliff's Notes for a nonexistent book, and a story on a möbius strip.
Jeanette
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Friendship. Passion. Identity within a life's work that "fits" your essence of perception. Core ability to love and connect beyond my ability of any describing! The General speaks and his life's friend- both; they observe, listen and remember within these 213 pages. This is too much to review as just a novel.

Betrayal. Luck in your life's birth and placement. Many things that in age you look back upon and see that they changed your "eyes" forever and varied your future actions- those are held her
Goodreads Librari...: Duplicate book, please delete 2 30 Mar 03, 2021 03:30PM

• Jezebel
  • La città dei vivi
  • Tutto chiede salvezza
  • Journey by Moonlight
  • L'acqua del lago non è mai dolce
  • Borgo Sud
  • Accabadora
  • Sembrava bellezza
  • Silk
  • The Notebook, The Proof, The Third Lie: Three Novels
Sándor Márai (originally Sándor Károly Henrik Grosschmied de Mára) was a Hungarian writer and journalist.
He was born in the city of Kassa in Austria-Hungary (now Košice in Slovakia) to an old family of Saxon origin who had mixed with magyars through the centuries. Through his father he was a relative of the Ország-family. In his early years, Márai travelled to and lived in Frankfurt, Berlin, and P