Jump to ratings and reviews

Odemark #2

Forgive Us

*** Best Sci-Fi book, San Francisco book festival 2021 ***

Three timelines. One dark future...

A new form of energy has poisoned the earth, leaving civilization in ruins. As decades go by, the inheritors of this devastation struggle to survive and reconquer a broken planet...

In 2099: Mankind emerges from the darkness. A lone rider named Oliver journeys east, seeking civilization beyond the Rocky Mountains. Braving the toxic earth and poison air, Oliver must battle a horde of deadly mutants as he unites a band of refugees into the first nation of this new world...

In 2153: Fledging nations clash over land and resources. London, a veteran of the wasteland, struggles to protect his adopted daughter Rose as the world decays around them. But little does he know, both he and his adopted daughter will soon find themselves drawn into a coming war...

In 2184: Simon, a descendent of those who fled the earth, lives on the great Arcadis Station. A gifted technician, he works vigilantly against those who rule his society with an iron fist. In the shadows, he will be the difference between enslavement or liberty...

Fans of The Gunslinger and Mad Max will love Forgive Us. This epic novel takes readers on a post-apocalyptic thrill ride, spanning three generations of a ravaged earth…

336 pages, Kindle Edition

First published December 19, 2020

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

E.T. Gunnarsson

4 books26 followers
TRANSLATING IMAGINATION INTO WORDS

E.T. Gunnarsson translates imagination into words. His debut book, Forgive Us, was awarded Best Sci-Fi at the 2021 San Francisco Book Festival and Best Post-Apocalyptic Book at the 2021 Fiction Awards. Abandon Us, the prequel to Forgive Us, is now available at major book resellers.

Born and raised in the Rocky Mountains (9,000 feet altitude!), E.T. now resides in southern Colorado with his dwarfed Cane Corso and his lifelong interest in Norse myth and culture. A storyteller from an early age, Mr. Gunnarsson spent his formative years developing his writing skills on international roleplay sites.

Outside of writing, E.T. is a well-versed individual. He trained with two different Olympic squads, is an expert in Norse mythology, an experimental cook, a woodcarver, an avid action roleplay gamer, a Judo brown belt, and a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu purple belt.

It’s easy to find E.T. on Facebook and Instagram: just search for his name. His legendary interviews can be found on Youtube and other websites. Or, visit etgunnarsson.com to reach his publisher.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
11 (5%)
1 star
4 (2%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 60 reviews
Profile Image for Michael || TheNeverendingTBR.
427 reviews139 followers
January 13, 2023
"𝘚𝘪𝘭𝘦𝘯𝘵, 𝘦𝘮𝘱𝘵𝘺 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘤𝘳𝘶𝘦𝘭. 𝘛𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘸𝘢𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘯𝘢𝘵𝘶𝘳𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘸𝘢𝘴𝘵𝘦𝘭𝘢𝘯𝘥."

At the start of this novel, we discover that Earth was destroyed by something called Ignium, which was used around 2050 to replace electricity and was also used in cars, devices, weapons and houses.

The thing with Ignium though, it was toxic and a heavy pollutant; which they started to discover around 2060. All of the corporations and governments were dependent on Ignium though and they covered up any research that painted Ignium as the pollutant it was.

By the time the results became clear what Ignium was doing to the planet, it was too late to stop it.

With the planet destroyed, the survivors were behind to fight for control of looting areas and overall control of the wastelands.

Gas masks are an essential thing for survival and their filters are currency.

Nobody can be trusted.

I loved the characters in this book, they're incredible and well-developed.

There are characters who I liked, then they turned out to be power-hungry murderous maniacs. There are characters that backstab and there are characters I loved and was heartbroken when they passed.

It's split into three storylines and they all cleverly intertwine at the end.

Couldn't recommend this more to people who like post-apocalyptic novels.
Profile Image for Tracy.
731 reviews12 followers
August 28, 2022
E.T. Gunnarrson's 'Forgive Us' is a fantastical futuristic post-apocalyptic novel which is told over the course of three separate timelines. Gunnarrsson does an amazing job segueing the plot between each of the different periods with seamlessness. His inimitable writing style makes it effortless to follow along while reading and/or listening to the extraordinarily creative and electrifying plot. The characters are fascinating, the storylines are suspense filled, and the action is intense. Perfection.

Solo narrator Craig Bowles did a fantastic job bringing the plot to life with perfect pacing and flawless character dialects for all of the - male/female children and adults - multiple characters. I am looking forward to hearing him narrate 'Abandon Us'.

My highest of recommendations.
Profile Image for Jonathan.
691 reviews74 followers
February 24, 2021
I received a free review copy of Forgive Us from NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review - my sincerest thanks to both the author and the publisher. :)

This was an excellent book, the author cleverly weaving 3 distinct stories with various characters into one. The first big reveal where two of the stories became connected had my jaw on the floor. Just one of those things that was done subtly didn't beat you over the head with it. By the time the 3rd was intertwined I was hoping desperately that it was the character I thought it might be. Mr. Gunnarsson didn't disappoint.

The tales woven are those as old as time but in a fresh desperate world. Human nature, the resilience, the drive to survive, the love, the lofty ideals torn asunder by paranoia, power, and greed. Each individual story is told in a chaptered order there by splitting up the stories until they slowly come together. This style was incredibly engaging as most chapters would end on a cliffhanger and you were desperate to find out what happened to the other characters but also get back around to the characters you just left.

This is an incredible freshman debut for the author, I sincerely hope he continues writing and will be on the outlook for any other work he has published.
Profile Image for Jonathan.
691 reviews74 followers
February 24, 2021

Profile Image for John Kerry.
582 reviews258 followers
April 6, 2021
Few books can grab you and draw you into them quite as quickly and completely as Forgive Us. In my experience few books often take some time to immerse you as a reader, possibly due to the unfamiliarity of the characters but also the new location and place names, this is especially pertinent for high fantasy titles. But this book hooks you from the very first page, from the very first sentence even. And what a book it is!

Forgive us By E T Gunnarsson what a gem it is I must say , I’ve lost track of how many people recommended Forgive Us to me - as a fan of Westerns and Tolkien this is right up my street. Finally took the plunge on the Kindle Edition and enjoyed every word. It’s a masterpiece, the setting is fantastical but grounded enough to make it really easy to visualise. Action is fairly rare but is written breathlessly and punchily. Characters are great, the foreword is really illuminating - basically I’m hooked. Count me in for the upcoming books by Gunnarsson.

My advice is simple… If you are not sure which book to read in adventure dystopian fiction then I recommend that you give Forgive Us a go. It is great book and if you are any where near as captivated as I was then you are in for a treat.

Brilliant, fresh and compelling…will leave you panting for more.

Highly Recommended!
Profile Image for Cheryl.
5,011 reviews178 followers
June 1, 2021
As a fan of post apocalyptic I really enjoyed this book. It was a fairly quick read for me. There are three simultaneous storylines transpiring throughout this book in three different time periods. The format of the book was done nicely as it could have gotten very confusing to keep the three storylines straight. Each chapter alternates between the three storylines. Luckily, never changing the order that they appear.

My favorite was 2184 with Simon. It was more modern in the events but it seemed to move and have things happen a bit faster as well. Yet, the other two time periods were good as well. I could get a visual in my head of what everyone looked like and sounded like as well as the environment.

I could see this book being produced into a television series that would do really well. Readers of all ages could relate and like this book from the ya readers to the adult readers.
Profile Image for Heena Rathore Pardeshi.
Author 1 book250 followers
March 15, 2021
Forgive Us by E.T. Gunnarsson is a brilliant sci-fi post-apocalyptic book.

I LOVED this book because it had not 1, not 2, but 3 stories interweaved in such a manner that it completely blew my mind. The writing is fantastic, the plot structuring is excellent and the concept is really, really good. I loved the entire case of such rich and strong characters. This book moved forward at a steady and heady phase and I loved every second of it!

I love when books actually play out in my mind like a movie but what is a thousand times better about this boo is that it played out in my mind like a good effing role-playing video game!

If you want to get your mind blown by a new sci-fi, post-apocalyptic, dystopian, futuristic read then this book is for you! Highly recommended!!

You can also read this review on thereadingbud.com
Profile Image for John Kerry.
582 reviews258 followers
March 8, 2021

Brilliant, fresh and compelling…will leave you panting for more.

Highly Recommended!
Profile Image for Happy Booker.
1,145 reviews64 followers
August 22, 2021
Forgive us is an action-packed post-apocalyptic story that deals with a couple of intertwining storylines that end up meeting up with each other. It begins in the year 2100. Oliver is a lone survivor, then moves on to 50 years after introducing London and Rose. Eventually, we end up in the year 2185, where we meet Simon, a space station technician.
The fast-paced story has interesting characters, frequent switching of times, scenes and just filled with action-packed drama. What stood out for me was how intrigued I was waiting to see how these storylines were going to pan out. I enjoyed the viewpoints and how many elements they possessed. You definitely get to think about the novel after you are finished.

Let’s talk about the book cover. It is evident that the author has given much thought to it. I found it incredibly interesting and reflective of what the content represented.

Our earth is ending, and it’s from the drive for energy. The Civilization left are just surviving, and so does the adventure begin. The story is truly a representation of humanity and its self-inflicted future.

I look forward to reading more from this author. I recommend this book to anyone who likes to read dystopian futuristic stories.
Profile Image for TheDigressiveApproach.
197 reviews12 followers
March 6, 2021
My sincerest thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for providing an e-ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review. All the views expressed in this are my own.
---
I absolutely loved the blurb of Forgive Us. I felt it left out just enough to pull me into the story, and the story definitely lived up to its promise.

I was super excited to see what this post-apocalyptic Earth would be like and was not at all disappointed. The worldbuilding is immaculate. The details are well though out and many of the survival aspects seemed all too realistic and not at all far-fetched.

I was also happy to see that the characters' struggles in this world were appropriately brutal and their individual motivations were portrayed wonderfully.

I did feel that the ending was somewhat rushed and found it a bit odd how some key characters died when things were just seeming to pick up.

This was definitely a great debut and I'm excited to see Gunnarsson's future works.

Overall rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐ 4/5 stars
Profile Image for Tanya.
421 reviews6 followers
August 26, 2021
Really enjoyed this. I was gifted the audio version. I'm always a little wary of getting a copy to review because what if I don't enjoy it? Luckily this was a great story. Very dark, totally interesting.

Three different stories that start coming together. You get to see different perspectives and it's all pretty gruesome.
Profile Image for Shelly.
Author 1 book19 followers
June 6, 2021
Incredible debut book for E.t. Gunnarsson! I hope that he continues to write and release more books. I was captivated by the blurb and immediately immersed into each storyline within the first chapter of each.

Each "cast" of characters for the timelines have their own hero, villain, and secondary characters that you can easily connect with. As an aspiring writer myself, I know it's difficult to create one group, much less three! The personalities were distinct, unique, and intriguing. You jump from one timeline to another, but the narration is was smooth and easy to follow.

My teen boys are not big fans of reading, but I think this is a book that I think they would find themselves easily immersed in. It's a traditional story of how technology becomes the bane of our existence, but definitely a unique take on how to crawl back from the depths it put on the world.

The only thing I would change is the use of the F word. It felt forced and out of place at times. Overall, definitely a book I'd read again!

I received a complimentary copy of the book for reviewing purposes. All opinions are my own!
Profile Image for Jay Mueller.
52 reviews
May 6, 2021
NetGalley provided a copy of E.T. Gunnarsson’s Forgive Us.

I enjoyed the book although I did find the use of run on sentences with no inter-word spacing to be extremely distracting and at times difficult to read. I believe that I understand why this gimmick was used “an attempt to further immerse the reader in the dystopian world in which this book is set” but I feel this may have been a misguided attempt.

As the book unfolds you follow 4 main characters through 3 time frames. Throughout the entire book I continually was trying to see how these distinct stories were going to come together. It was not till the last few chapters that this became clear.

I have to hand it to the author, an 18 year old and this being his fist book, it was a job well done. I look forward to reading additional works and follow the development of this young man’s progress and works.
Profile Image for Tracy  Clark.
16 reviews1 follower
November 19, 2021
happy to have discovered this story

This novel was recommended as a “you may enjoy,” and I did indeed! The threads of this story cover different time periods locations. The author did a great job of building worlds and bringing the threads of each story together by the end. I stayed up way too late reading this one last night, and will be no good at work today but it was worth it!
50 reviews
March 14, 2022
Forgive Us

A story of possible future. Frightening and encouraging at the same time. People trying to rebuild society and those who had retreated to space for safety. The ills of the powerful "leaders" in both cases were not always for the best of the populace. A good read.
Profile Image for Shannon Johnson.
22 reviews
June 2, 2022
Captivating, Fascinating, Extraordinary, Transcending page turner!

Captivating, Fascinating, Extraordinary, Transcending page turner!
I was literally drawn in and hooked from not only the first chapter but the first page, simply brilliant story telling.

I love that in reading an E.T Gunnarsson novel I am instantly transported to another time & place, I am a part of the story I feel what the characters feel I get that adrenaline rush that they do I feel that extreme heart break that they experience the blind rage that overcomes them and ultimately the feelings of undeniable loss and unthinkable loneliness. For an author to make me feel so many emotional responses to his writing I must say in my opinion I not only see amazing talent and extreme potential but a phenomenal gift to share with book lovers around the world!

This is an extraordinary story and a completely different take on a post-apocalyptic theme which is so refreshing. I was very impressed with the character development and learning about all the back stories of the major players. There are characters that you absolutely fall in love with right away. There are characters that you simply do not see doing what they do and this again is refreshing because who wants the same thing regurgitated on to the page as every other novel, or each character to do what is expected of them either it being good or bad?

I would recommend this novel to anyone who enjoys the post apocalyptic theme, dystopian fiction, sci-fi or a good action & adventure novel. In my opinion this is a very diverse work of art therefore could fall under many different themes or headings and could be enjoyed & or devoured by many different types of readers.

I will be rating this at a 5/5 stars I believe it is an inventive story with an incredible amount of detail that helps the reader see the world & time that the characters are living in, which brings the story to life and right off the page!

I purchased this book through my Kindle so I am at absolutely no obligation to write this review I have done so voluntarily and with the upmost respect to E.T. Gunnarsson who is my new favorite author by the way. I would also like to applaud Bragi Press for having the keen eye to spot this budding young talent. However I would like mostly not to forget to thank E.T. Gunnarsson's Mother & Father for supporting him in the writing of the Odemark Series not all parents are supportive & dedicated to their children's dreams I'm glad that you are!

Profile Image for Ian Miller.
11 reviews
November 21, 2022
Good start

Good premise for a post apocalyptic story. I particularly enjoyed the telling of multiple time lines and I look forward to sequels. However, the writing itself was a little clunky at times and the story moved at an inconsistent pace. I know nothing about the author but i anticipate that future works will improve as the story and ideas are great.
Profile Image for Books  Shelf.
275 reviews16 followers
October 3, 2021
Forgive Us by E.T. Gunnarsson is a great read. It is written in an unusual yet very interesting way. I liked the story, it is very well thought out. The characters are very engaging, I would like to read more about them. Overall, a very well-written post-apocalyptic thriller. I recommend.
February 14, 2022
Interesting Debut Novel

Enjoyed this Post-Apocalyptic story very much. Well plotted, good characters, and a satisfying conclusion. And, unlike a lot of Kindle Unlimited fare, few grammar mistakes or incorrect word usage to mar the story telling.
3 reviews
August 31, 2022
Loved this book. Lots of twists before bringing everything together. Great author!!
Profile Image for Kathy Austin.
23 reviews2 followers
August 27, 2021
I was surprised that I got so engrossed in this book. And that's only because I'm new to the author's work. I tend to stick to "tried and true" authors, although most are not mainstream. But I liked the synopsis and took a chance. Boy am I glad I did! Totally mesmerizing storyline. Great character development, story flowed smoothly and kept me enthralled. Don't miss this one!
Profile Image for Sally Mander.
520 reviews9 followers
March 1, 2021
Forgive Us by E.T. Gunnarsson

In this nonlinear narrative, we follow London and Rose who are survivors of the post-apocalyptic Earth; Simon who is a member of the Rapture, a group of people who were sent to a space station to live until Earth is habitable again; Oliver a survivor who has a motorcycle and big dreams for the future.

The dates don't make much sense, in the first three-fourths of the novel, but as you get closer to the ending, it starts to make more sense.

I gave it 4 stars, because although it is well written, it seems towards the end, that several key players are killed off, with not much fanfare, especially since they were such key elements in the book. Seemed to be almost rushed at the end. It is part of a series, so there wasn't a plausible reason (to me) to have ended that way.

There were a lot of details in the first parts of the book, telling how hard it was to survive on an unfriendly Earth. You find yourself rooting for the survivors.

Many thanks to #netgalley and #forgiveus for the complimentary copy I was under no obligation to post a review.
Profile Image for Irene.
801 reviews10 followers
April 10, 2021
Forgive Us by E.T. Gunnarsson. Impressive post-apocalyptic tale that is outstanding in its realistic and detailed worldbuilding and characterizations. The stories of three men, Oliver, London and Simon and three different time periods were expertly interwoven. There were a couple daunting scenes of graphic violence that were appalling to read and there was some explicit language. Neither were in excess or gratuitous but within the story's context.

Thank you to the publisher, author, and NetGalley for the opportunity to preview the book.
Profile Image for Leslie.
232 reviews1 follower
March 28, 2021
Good read!

This was a totally different way of telling an apocalyptic story. At first it was confusing jumping back and forth through time and different characters but loved how it all came out in the end. Hopefully there will be another book to follow!
403 reviews4 followers
May 4, 2021
Forgive Us - Ok, so as we all get it with the title, Forgive Us, is a tale of Humans surviving in the wastelands on earth's surface. A story plot set on the aftermath of mankind's hunger for Energy and technology which makes the very green and watery planet into a poisonous, filthy, barren land. Civilization is left in ruins, and the survivors must struggle to survive and revive the planet for their own survival. The author of this book takes you on a post-apocalyptic thrill ride, spanning three generations of a ravaged planet earth. In 2153 - Surviving in these barren lands and trying to make a mark for their own, some underdeveloped nations fight for land and resources. London, one of the oldest survivor tries to save his adopted daughter Rose from the world which is spoiling and decoying around them. With a strong belief and faith, unaware of the fact that both of them will soon be a part of a war to survive. In 2184 - Simon, belonging to a clan of people who fled the earth and living on the Arcadis Station. He and his people are enslaved by those Iron Fist people those who rule his society. A gifted Technician, he works hard vigilantly and tries to make a difference between Slavery and freedom. In 2099 - Going thru the apocalyptic ages, mankind has some hope and emerges from this toxic place. Oliver, a lonely human with no traces of his belongings and absolute lone ranger tries to journey towards East in his quest of finding Civilization beyond the Rocky Mountains. Little does he now about his opponents who are deadly mutants who wants his head. With the intention of seeking civilization, he creates a team of refugees as he strives into the first Civilization of this New World. The progressive buildup of tension, The characterization of characters, Exceptional World Building, author Mr E R Gunnersson paints a grim picture of humanity's self-inflicted future in this Novel. A must have collectible book for all passionate book readers and collectors.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Jessica Higgins.
1,140 reviews13 followers
May 31, 2021
*3.5 Stars

A look at what could happen over the next 150 years when humans destroy their planet.

In 2099, Oliver has been surviving on his own for years trying to make his way east over the Rocky Mountains to see if there are civilizations. Between the occasional crazed nomad and mutants, he has managed to survive off his wits and his gun. After a chance encounter when he saves a fellow survivor named Sam, they band together to bring in more refugees seeking shelter to create one of the first reborn nations in North America.

Fifty years later, war is going on between two nations. A nomad named London and a young girl named Rose are making their way across the desert when they are caught in the midst of a skirmish. When one of the bands realizes they mean no harm, they are offered to come back to their city and be employed as traders. But trading in the midst of a war can have dire consequences.

Another thirty years reveals the exploits of man to escape the Earth’s fall on a space station orbiting the planet. Simon is a descendant of those people who finds tensions between factions on the station are starting to escalate and he may be the key to having his group gain the upper hand. But one false move could land him in a zero-gravity prison, or worse, expelled to space!

As far a speculative fiction goes, this teenage author has got one heck of an imagination. Setting up new worlds with three different timelines, all with a common link, was a very entertaining read. At first, I wasn’t sure what the connections would be, but within the last couple of chapters, everything fell into place. If you love dystopian and post-apocalyptic thrillers, this is your cup of tea. Fair warning, there is a lot of foul language throughout the book. So, I recommend this for mature readers that enjoy this genre.

I received a complimentary copy of this title from the publisher. The views and opinions expressed within are my own.
88 reviews4 followers
April 19, 2021
"Forgive Us" is a wonderful and fantastic novel that revolves around various characters battling to live in a poisonous world.Set in three separate time periods where nature has struck humanity and placed it in danger.This is a tale about mankind's existence in the post-apocalyptic world.

The first chapter begins in 2099, with a survivor called Olivir exploring human civilization in toxic earth and wasteland.Gas masks are now needed for survival because harmful gases have taken over the gases that are required for survival.
Isn't it an exciting story?

The second storey, set in 2154 in London, is about Rose's survival.Further we will read how Rose is well connected with London. The third time interval is 2185.This is literally anincredible story; survival stories are always interesting; I've seen several movies centered on survival, and this novel provided me with yet another fantastic experience.

I liked how the author introduced three separate stories with different characters centred on one subject. The author has taken a perfect topic and tries to show a truth to the world, the day is not far away when it will be the humans who will endanger their lives.

I believe the cover page could not be better than this; it is entirely appropriate, as you can see the atmosphere is filled with dangerous gases."Rose" is the girl standing with the rabbit in her arms, wearing a gas mask.The title isfitting, as it is, in my opinion, an apology from humans to nature.The language is user-friendly and simple to grasp.

This has been the perfect combination of thriller and adventure. While it is a long read (around 330 pages), the stories are so fascinating that it will keep you entertained till last.

Highly Recommended Book.
105 reviews2 followers
April 17, 2021
BOOK REVIEW:- FORGIVE US

AUTHOR:- E.T. GUNNARSSON

FORMAT:- EBOOK/PAPERBACK/HARDCOVER

MY RATINGS:- 9/10

Forgive Us is an absolutely thrilling story, it presents three different point of views of the same event, the novel is completely unpredictable making it more interesting for the readers. It was a long ago that I read a dystopia, so I was quite excited to read this one, but the thing that made the book stand out is that it involves story not only from a particular time in future but three different times, and all of them having different characters,

It’s a long read but I am sure you will be totally engaged in reading the book, the story is about describing the complete destruction of the world and the survival after that, and you will get to read about the same situation but from different characters and from different time frame. The characterization is so perfect that it makes every bit of the novel meaningful.

Surely I don’t, want to give you spoilers so read the novel to find out all the mystery, secret and suspense, until then keep guessing.

The book cover is a complete description about the story, from the title to the picture on the book everything is appropriate, the other thing that I would like to appreciate is the writing style of the author, the language and words used are perfect.

Don’t dare to miss out this book, make sure you tell me your experience after reading the book.

Thankyou
Happy reading
Profile Image for Mollie Moran.
35 reviews1 follower
March 27, 2021
When I first started this book I couldn't put it down. I loved the world building and the history behind what was happening. I also loved the time skips and the fact that all of the POVs were set in different times, meaning we got to see how the world continued to change.
When Simon's POV was added it slowly became my favourite. The addition of someone looking down on Earth worked well with the 2 perspectives of the people currently living on it and it was really enjoyable.
However, this book read the same as every multiple POV book does for me and I slowly lost interest in multiple sides of the story. I only really cared about Simon's story and found myself skim reading the other 2. It also took getting to about 50% of the way through the book for things to start actually happening. I loved the world building, but unfortunately, in terms of actual plot, this book lost me along the way. And there were multiple times I felt like just putting it down and leaving it there.
The concept was amazing and it although I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I wouldn it was executed well. The writing itself was beautiful too. There is definitely an audience out there for this book but unfortunately I dont think I am part of it.
I would still recommend this book to and post apocalyptic/sci-fi fans, and I would definitely still try other works from this author in the future.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 60 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.