Start by marking “The Secret of Letting Go” as Want to Read:
The Secret of Letting Go

The Secret of Letting Go

"The Secret of Letting Go "by Guy Finley gives you several techniques to do one thing: Get back your life! Right now you may be a slave to the memories and experiences of the past, as well as to the stresses and problems of the present. Every day increases the load. Whether the problems are due to work, school, relationships, finances, or something else, they affect you. T ...more
Published September 8th 2002 by Llewellyn Publications (first published December 31st 1899)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret of Letting Go, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret of Letting Go

Start your review of The Secret of Letting Go
Lenore Skomal
Sep 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Did some more self help reading with this one. But I have to admit, if you have ever wondered about what it means to "let go," this is the guy to listen to. I found a lot of what he teaches to be very, very helpful. It's very much the same message of Eckhart Tolle and living in the now. But what's helpful about Finley is that he's not "channeling" his message. I have found Tolle sometimes tough to read because of the way he writes. Finley's writing is much more approachable. And what I found par ...more
Sara
Feb 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
I've read this a few times over the past few years and have found it to be quite helpful. If you struggle with anxiety and depression, this book is filled with valuable insights that can keep your mind on a better track emotionally. (Although it contains some new-agey type language, the author doesn't come across like a quack like other self-help writers.)
Karen Zelano
let go of this book

Not a common sense point of view. Lots of idealistic ramblings, parables ad universal spiritualism.mVery woo woo, which would be ok, if it made sense. The author seems to have too much to say, yet keeps making the same point repeatedly.
Iona  Stewart
Aug 10, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely appreciate the importance of letting go, but I didn't understand a word of this book. At least I understood all the words and the sentences, but not what the author was really on about. So I couldn't finish the book or even get past the first two chapters.

I see the book got a lot of great reviews on amazon.com, so my lack of comprehension must have something, or everything, to do with me. Anyway, just wanted to state my opinion.
Ris
Jan 09, 2009 rated it liked it
It's corny and the writing can be confounding at times, but I loved the underlying thoughts, and it is helping me let go!
Audrey
Awesome, powerful. May need to re-read it, there was alot to take in
Lisa
Jan 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
This book was a great motivation, however a lot of it seems redundant.
Yes, this book is a bit abstract, but easier to follow if you have a religious background. No, you don't have to be religious to read the book.

This book was a great motivation for me, but may not be for you.

It is about letting go of negative self talk and looking inward to solve problems. It's the idea that problems aren't solved by trying to change others and your struggles have to do with you and not other people's mistakes
Joe Newell
Sep 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure if I've read all of Guy's books or not, but I've certainly read most of them. I am lucky enough to live in the same area as Guy, and get to hear him speak to a group weekly. He is truly amazing and legitimate. He is all about the truth and seeing life as it is. He has been intensely studying and lecturing on self awareness for more than thirty years. If he puts a pen to it, it is worth reading.

However, here is the caveat: it's no "straighten out your life in 30 seconds" program. It
Paul Wilder
Jul 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Those Interested in Dissolving Suffering
This book initiated in me a transformation of consciousness that is still very much in process to this day, over two years later. I had no idea at the time a mistakenly found it that it would change my life forever, but I am thankful for the clarity of its simplicity.
Jimmy
Mar 15, 2015 rated it did not like it
I would think it wouldn't be so difficult to "let go"...This book, to me, is a difficult read. I guess I could learn the secret of it if I could comprehend what the author is trying to convey. It is way over my simple mind..or maybe it's just a bunch of gibberish.

Susan
Aug 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Good information - flagged quite a few passasges. Wording and language really drag - actually set this aside for 3 or 4 years before finishing recently
Alexandra Matinez
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It was great. So many interesting and healthy concepts. Harder to read than I thought, partially because so many philosophical lectures are served.

Best quotes:

" Self-doubt is born out of being identified with the idea that how you feel about yourself depends upon how others feel about you. "

"Self-righteousness is born out of being identified with the idea that just because you can point out something that is wrong places you above that
wrongness"

"Self-pity and past regrets are born out of being
Virendra Dafane
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is great book for letting go of negative experiences and hurt feelings. Author goes on to discuss how letting go is freeing and means living in the present day to day instead of getting caught up in the past with regrets.

Readers - Its not an easy read if your spiritually inclined, you may find some ideas boring.

Those of you who think they have some old baggage they need to get rid of.

If you like a girl and cannot get her, want to get rid of your hurt feelings or relationship failure or t
Marianne Mullen
Feb 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: dad-s-library
I had a really hard time reading the book. There are wonderful concepts to go deep with but the language and way it's written made it hard for me to access the deep work that could be done. I spent months picking up/putting down the book, and I think it's one of those books I would return to in a different phase in my life to see if there is more insight to be gleaned. Or maybe just flip to a random page and see what I can take that day. Probably a favorite line is "The only way to produce more ...more
Jo
A girlfriend was assigned to read this for one of her college courses a few years back and told our group of friends we all should read it. It was a fun experience, we ended up passing it around, highlighting what we loved then had a little book club session after we all read it. We were in our early twenties and it seemed to be perfect for the time of life we were in. It's one of those books that if you are having a hard time you can pick up and read a chapter and get inspiration.
Valerie Wallace
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great help for soul searching

This book really helped me peel back the onion that was my life. It helped me confront the things that were holding me back from my true destiny I am about to read it again.
Akirah
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a tough read. I'm not the most abstract thinker, and these thoughts are abstract AF. But I'm glad I stuck with this one. I think I'd like to read it again in a few months.
Shourya Sanyal
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
A lot of platitudes make it less impactful than it could have been
Azura75
Apr 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
More stars than most give.
Carlton Brown
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is a profoundly interesting and mind-expanding read, and one I would recommend if healing and spiritual awakening are on your life agenda. Guy is conveying concepts of the “higher self” (most of us have zero experience nor language of this), in words accessible to the lower self (ego mind; wherefrom most of us originate our life experiences and whose interests are not best served by reading this book!) from which we are to awaken-transform. This makes it “complex” to understand, relati ...more
Dean
I found this book to have a motivational energy at the time of reading, and to offer a lot of positive, well-meaning tips in terms of real self-transformation. Ideas such as self-observation and monitoring are introduced, and the idea of surrender/letting go of our habitual self-sabotaging patterns. Beyond this, however, I feel the book (and GF's books in general) are of limited use without real-life interraction with him or his system (or that of Vern Howard).. without specific training and pra ...more
Jacqueline
Mar 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very inspiring and definitely helpful.

I learned about the false self and how it plays out in the mind on a daily basis, and this is why we have to recognize what it is that is guiding us falsely. I do have to read again because to be enlightened with this kind of knowledge is not purely seen right away. I also loved Mr. Finley giving examples when he sets out to make his point clear - not every author of such subjects can do this so nicely. I loved that part of the author's writing. On the other
Shawn Nguyen
Jul 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I brought this book about five years ago and have read it numerous times. This book has been my great companion that has walked me out of my personal mess and depression. I met the author, Guy Finley, in Texas at one of his retreat. The Secret of Letting Go illustrates very simple truths and if we slowed down a bit we would see them. What this book also did was it introduced me to a whole new world of spirituality. I am proud to say The Secret of Letting Go was able to open up my mind and a simp ...more
Hettienne
Aug 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read this and all of Guy Finley's books twenty years ago. Then he was one of the few voices in the modern arena of Self-realization. His books are well-written, clear and contains brilliant insights into the inner journey which could only be known to those who have walked the path. if you are looking for a true path to clarity and peace, you will find it in his books - they are all worth your time and energy
Will Jeffries
Apr 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
His words are deep and very reflecting; Oftentimes though, there are shades of harshness in his voice - like he is screaming at you or frustrated that you are not getting the information he is transmitting to you. Kindof weird; but he is still enjoyable to listen to; You have to really listen for the kernals of truth/nuggest of wisdom sprinkled in his recordings and books.
Facil Feye
Dec 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book explains in pretty detail about how our emotions and reactions to events can lead us to self-destruct and affect our behavior. But more importantly, it outlines how to deal with difficult situations, how to rely on ourselves instead of others and how to manage our lives with clear mind unaffected by other events.
Natalie
Feb 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you've ever wondered, "What are the unconscious, negative beliefs that are holding me back?" this book is for you. By far, the clearest, most helpful self-help book I have ever read; and I've read many.
Walthree
May 13, 2010 added it
Shelves: gave-it-up
I did not benefit from this book. Too many stories about how others may have been able to let go. I did not find where there were steps for you to go through to let go of experiences or feeling you may have trapped inside you.
Katrin
May 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Hard to read somehow, but I guess I wasn't smart enough to let go of my old way of thinking or adapting new knowledge coming from the book. But it had good points and stories to remember and maybe I'll read it again some day..
May Margarita
May 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
I like the ideas and the way he presents it. However, I think he needs more background information to the reader about the "now" he referred to. Maybe finishing the book, "The Power of Now" will help accommodate better understanding.

• Hayır Diyebilme Sanatı
  • Camdaki Kız
  • Bir Ömür Nasıl Yaşanır?
  • Kendisinin Efendisi Olmayan Hiç Kimse Özgür Değildir
  • Aşkımız Eski Bir Roman
  • What is Man?
  • Bir Psikiyatristin Gizli Defteri
  • Gladyatör Kararını Arenada Verir
  • Pembe Fili Düşünme
  • Arafat'ta Bir Çocuk
  • It Didn't Start with You: How Inherited Family Trauma Shapes Who We Are and How to End the Cycle
  • Kendine İyi Davran Güzel İnsan
  • Sanma ki Yalnızsın
  • Gör Beni: İki Devrin Hikayesi
  • Habits of a Happy Brain: Retrain Your Brain to Boost Your Serotonin, Dopamine, Oxytocin,  Endorphin Levels
  • A Philosophy of Walking
  • Engereğin Gözü
  • Hayat Cesurlara Torpil Geçer
BEST-SELLING "LETTING GO" author Guy Finley's encouraging and accessible message is one of the true bright lights in our world today. His ideas go straight to the heart of our most important personal and social issues -- relationships, success, addiction, stress, peace, happiness, freedom -- and lead the way to a higher life.

Finley is the acclaimed author of The Secret of Letting Go, The Essential