Start by marking “Alice in April (Alice, #5)” as Want to Read:
Alice in April (Alice, #5)

Alice in April (Alice #5)

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  1,747 Ratings  ·  70 Reviews
Alice is turning 13, and her Aunt Sally tells her she should prepare to take charge of the McKinley household. But Alice's attempts at being the in-control homemaker have predictably disastrous--and hilarious--results. An ALA Notable Children's Book and School Library Journal Best Book.
Published September 1st 2002 by Aladdin Paperbacks (first published April 30th 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Alice in April, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alice in April

Jess
Jun 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
I remember crying over this book because it dealt with the topic of suicide in a high school setting that young girls can understand and empathize with. The "Alice" series is great because it is funny, interesting, and a lot of fun, but also because it teaches those difficult lessons in a really comprehensive way that suits the target audience.
Melee
Nov 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I was about 8 or 9 (or perhaps younger) I saw the book Alice in April in my grandmother's library and thought it looked interesting. I didn't check it out, though, because at the time my mother essentially governed my book choices. I was right in doubting I'd be allowed to read this; I'm sure my mother wouldn't have been thrilled by boob-obsessed Alice whose brother advises her how to insult boys by insulting their testicles. :P

Miraculously, the title of this book has stuck in my mind for y
Shauna
Mar 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
After I read this book, I felt like Alice was my best friend! The way this book is written is so wonderful that Alice and her friends and families just come alive. This book is about the struggles of being an adolescent girl in a household of boys. She struggles with feeling like a woman and gaining respect from her father and brother. She wants to feel like a grown-up, but fears it will never happen. I read this book over and just because it feels like visiting an old friend!
Logan Hughes
Mar 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: girly-ya, alice
Alice feels that she is now grown up enough to be "the woman of the house" (especially after pressure from her aunt Sally to take housewifely care of her single dad and older brother.) Alice makes a mess of this task through various hijinks, including biting off more than she can chew when planning a birthday party for her dad.

Meanwhile, Alice's classmates are assigning girls nicknames of states based on comparing their breasts to geological features. Various adults rightly tell Alice to ignore
Lucrecia Ramos
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Alice In April is a book about a young girl named Alice, her brother Lester, and her dad. Since Alice's aunt Sally told her she is the "Woman of the House", Alice has done everything she thought her mother, who died, would have done. She tries to handle her family by herself but then realizes she doesn't have to do all the work by herself because they were a family. I liked the book because it is very interesting, easy to understand, and it goes along with the young age. It tells the struggles ...more
Samantha
Jul 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Alice endeavors to take on the role of Woman of the House, though the job proves to be a bit too much for a 12 year old. I think hormones are starting to kick in during the 2nd half of Alice's 7th grade year as she spends a large part of the book crying over one thing or the other. Though, a truly tragic event (suicide) takes place near the end of the book that deserves a year's worth of tears and then some. Probably not my favorite book in the series, but it moved the saga of Alice along some.
Celine Parker
Jun 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I grew up with the Alice series, and probably read this book when I was thirteen as well. I was also very excited about this book because April is one of my favorite months (cheesy, I know). But Alice learns what I have learned over the years as well - that sometimes when you have the best of intentions, things don't exactly go as planned, but that doesn't mean you've failed.
Liz Gibbs
Sep 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: four-star
Alice lives with her dad and 20-yr-old brother. Her mom died when she was four. Alice's aunt says Alice will be the "Woman of the House" now that she's about to turn thirteen. Can Alice handle the responsibility? This book deals with several important issues pertaining to preteens and the amusing way kids handle them.
Emma
Aug 03, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book flew by so quickly. While I enjoyed my read I found the ending to be a little too much. I would have liked the subject of suicide to be in a separate book. It was too rushed and just sort of thrown in there. While this isn't my favorite of the series I do think it does add something to the group.
Caroline
Aug 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Aunt Sally calls and reminds Alice of her thirteenth birthday. It's coming, and Aunt Sally says that its arrival signifies Alice becoming Woman of the House. Alice starts trying to take care of everything, only it doesn't quite work out...
Libby
Dec 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The one I remember the best from growing up--still good! However, there is a really sad event at the end that I had forgotten--this installment definitely takes the book into deeper emotional territory.
Atali
Jul 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is a stressful book that made me kind of go and help her.
Amanda
Feb 03, 2008 rated it liked it
I was so shocked when I found out about Denise! It actually made me cry!
Megan
Jun 04, 2013 rated it liked it
This book got a little boring in the middle. There was a big surprise in the end though. I feel like the Book was a little rushed and not finished. Over all I think the book was ok.
Chris
May 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Woah, where did that ending come from? It seemed pretty heavy for a series that has been pretty lighthearted all along. And then the tragedy seemed to be glossed over pretty quickly.
Kricket
Mar 24, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade, 2009
book 5. in which alice, acting on aunt sally's misguided advice that she be "woman of the house," throws a terrible birthday party for her father.
Stephi Cham
May 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: made-me-cry
Naylor captures a young girl's perspective so well. This book made me cry.
B
Aug 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
#8 in the series. Alice wants to be the "woman of the house", now that she's almost 13, befriends her old bully enemy, and plans her dad's 50th birthday party.
Joyce
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was one of the most serious of the Alice books, what with what happened at the end.
It was entertaining to watch Alice's struggles to become "woman of the house" since she's almost 13. Oh Alice. Her efforts are respectable.
The part where all the boys name girls after states based on their chest size... that was crazy for me to think of seventh-grade boys having the nerve to do that. Certainly never would've been allowed at my school. I can understand Alice's curiosity and eagerness to be nam
Melody
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
In this book, Alice tries her hardest to be "woman of the house", but everything she does seems to result in disaster. It's hard growing up, but I would imagine really hard for a girl if you didn't have a mother.

My favorite chapter in this book was "Loving Lester", in which Alice decides, after being really mean to her brother all the time, that she will attempt to be nicer to him. She decides that if Lester was really sick and was going to die, then she would be nice to him. So she pretends th
Jessica
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mg-fiction
I always remembered this as one of my favorite Alice books, but I can't exactly pinpoint why? Anyway, shocking enough I forgot how one of the plotlines that threads through this book is how the 7th grade boys are naming the 7th grade girls after states, in accordance with their personal topography. Whaaaaaaat in the world. I love this series.
Celinda Reyes
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another amazing Alice book! I am currently reading the entire series from beginning to end (for the 100th time lol). You know it's an amazing series when you're still entertained even when you know exactly what will happen. Can't wait for the next one!
Judith Bautista
Sep 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever had a party and everything went all wrong? The same thing happened to Alice. The genre of this book is realistic fiction. In my opinion I think this was a good and funny book because Alice had to plan a lot of things in a little bit of time.

This book was about Alice being the woman of the house. Alice is going to be turning 13 in May and it was time that Alice would take things more serious because she was going to be a teenager. Alice needed to plan a birthday party for her dad
Ana
May 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dalam perjalanan ke halte bus, kurasa aku sudah menemukan rahasia perdamaian dunia. Kalau semua orang di seluruh dunia bertindak seakan orang di sisinya akan meninggal besok, mungkin semua akan mengatakan hal-hal yang baik saja pada orang lain.

Duh, jadi nyesel kenapa tadinya saya meng-underestimate buku ini. Karena ternyata novel teenlit ini ngga sembarang teenlit yang biasa saya baca. Memang penampilan luar kadang menipu, saya kurang merasa 'diundang' ketika melihat cover buku terbitan Gramedi
Maria
Apr 09, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Alice #5 -- covering the month of April in Alice's seventh grade year.

Alice's old-fashioned Aunt Sally tells Alice that she's almost thirteen, and therefore has to assume the role of the Woman of the House, and all the responsibilities that come with it. This creates a lot of struggles for Alice and her family which culminate in Alice throwing a disastrous birthday party for her dad.

Alice's struggles here highlight the silliness of traditional gender roles, especially in non-traditional families
Leigha's Little Library
Child me: 5 stars
Adult me: 5 stars

*For the first book in a "child/teen/middlegrade/nostalgic" book, I am going with the rating younger me would have gone with, then if I read on in the series, I will rate the books what adult me believes it should be rated. If the book is a stand alone, I will go with whatever rating I feel most comfortable giving the book. Please note, I do not really think books should have an age limit. People should read what they want to regardless of the intended age group
brooklynnnne
The journey continues in this installment of the Alice series. Alice continues to be as humorous, dramatic, and lovable as ever. She really does portray an accurate representation of a young girl growing up.

In this installment, I found it also showed the importance and necessity of these novels. Up to this point there have been examples of difficulties that can occur while growing up (e.g. death of a family member, moving to a different home, the internal struggles of growing up, etc). The serie
Crys
Alice represents an honest portrayal of growing up for a young girl, although in her case she is trying to do it without a mother.

In the latest installment, Alice realizes that soon she will be thirteen, and according to her Aunt Sally this will make her the woman of the house. Alice takes this to heart, and throughout the novel we see her try to take care of her father and brother - and of course herself - in a very adult way. From planning her father's fiftieth birthday party to insisting that
Heather
I read a few Alice books when I was younger and loved them, and I enjoyed this one just as much as an adult. The series has been widely banned for its frank discussions of sex and puberty. While I don't think the books are appropriate for young kids, they seem pretty tame to me compared to a lot of the children's and young adult lit out there now ("Alice in April" was published in 1993). I LOVE the characters in the Alice books. I totally relate to Alice and her confusion about boys, her family, ...more
Natalie
I have to take a minute to have a mini rant - why the hell am I reading words like "Harry Potter" and "DVD" in a book that was written in 1993?!? It pisses me off. This book was written in the early 90s. That's part of the charm! Dear Reprinters - don't steal the charm! There is no need to "update" something. Kids are smart, they don't need books changed with crap like this. It totally detracts from the story because it doesn't fit.

Okay, rant over. Thank you for listening.

This is a more serious
  • The Fourth Grade Wizards
  • Anastasia Again! (Anastasia Krupnik, #2)
  • Summerhouse Time
  • Katie's New Recipe (Cupcake Diaries, #13)
  • Agnes Parker . . . Girl in Progress
  • Detour for Emmy
  • Lily B. on the Brink of Love
  • Sixth-Grade Glommers, Norks, and Me
  • Witch Twins (Witch Twins, #1)
  • She's a Witch Girl (Salem Witch, #3)
  • Fairy School Dropout
  • The Epic Documentary of a Not-Yet-Epic Kid (Classroom, #1)
  • The Malted Falcon: A Chet Gecko Mystery
  • Deal with It! A Whole New Approach to Your Body, Brain, and Life as a gURL
  • The Summer Sherman Loved Me
  • Just Add Magic
  • Sixth Grade Secrets
  • The Facts Speak for Themselves
Phyllis Reynolds Naylor was born in Anderson, Indiana, US on January 4, 1933.

Her family were strongly religious with conservative, midwestern values and most of her childhood was spent moving a lot due to her father's occupation as a salesman.

Though she grew up during the Depression and her family did not have a lot of money, Naylor stated that she never felt poor because her family owned good boo
More about Phyllis Reynolds Naylor...

Alice (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • The Agony of Alice (Alice, #1)
  • Alice in Rapture, Sort of (Alice, #2)
  • Reluctantly Alice (Alice, #3)
  • All But Alice (Alice, #4)
  • Alice In-Between (Alice, #6)
  • Alice the Brave (Alice, #7)
  • Alice in Lace (Alice, #8)
  • Outrageously Alice (Alice, #9)
  • Achingly Alice (Alice, #10)
  • Alice on the Outside  (Alice, #11)